Speculation: Roster Building Thread XXXIV: Walk the line into the ring of fire

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

PuckLuck3043

Stairway To Heaven
Nov 15, 2017
Hudson Valley
I don't see this team through the same color glasses as others. We're 4 back and now we're contenders?

All I see is a team that just cannot defend. AT ALL

Right now Shesty is looking like a young Hank... fantastic with almost zero help in front of him.

I don't know what team you are watching but this team has defended a lot better the last 20 games. Is it perfect? No Do there need to be improvements? Yes. The eye test and numbers say this team is playing far better than earlier in the year.

Reactions: egelband

wafflepadsave

May 28, 2011
Franklin, Tn
I'm not sure which comments you're referring to since I don't remember Quinn mentioning anything related to today's lineup in the post-game interview. They don't necessarily need to sit anyone prior to the deadline, but it's obviously the more prudent move to avoid injury.

We'll find out more tonight at 530, and if I had to guess, we won't see anyone sitting.
Going for the cup cus anything can happen.

Kakko Schmakko

Feb 24, 2018
yes, and 8,5 million dollars would go away from him. It's huge amount of real money. It would be dumb decision from his point of view. I don't believe it will happen.

I believe it is much less mil because his contract was front loaded and he can probably get at least 2 mil to play in SHL.

DutchShamrock

Nov 22, 2005
New Jersey
What do you think the cap is? It's 81.5 this year.

Skjei could most certainly be moved without taking salary back.

There is a reason, because they're owed a lot of money. Cap rich teams tend to not like 'spending money.' Good thing, this is their final years of a front-loaded contract. Once they're paid their signing bonuses, it becomes palatable.

It's not wishful thinking. That's the benefit of having controllable assets. Sure, they could hold out but I doubt it gets to that. ADA is the only one where this would become an issue.

Strome is more than likely going to be moved at some point.
Buch is more than likely going to be moved at some point.

???? There are no growing pains. We have completely opposite perceptions. Getting rid of Staal, Smith and HL create no pains. Replacing Skjei with ADA on the books is not a pain. Replacing Buch with Kravtsov is not a pain, it sucks that it has to happen but thats how things work in a hard-cap era.

Keep the core/good pieces/performers and move forward. Kreider - Zibs is as good as a combo gets. We cant keep everyone. If you think getting rid of Kreider is the play, that's fine, I don't.

In 2022 our dead cap money subsides and we will have a lot more room.
I thought the cap was $79m, so I botched that. I saw the old 31 Thoughts quote too. I guess I'm conservative and not basing my plans on what some teams are hopeful for, but rarely get right.

But for argument's sake, it's $85m next year. When I threw all those numbers at you for next year, I pegged Kreider at $6.2. That's completely unrealistic. You think Lemieux doesn't sniff $2.5m. Fine. Give his extra .5 to Kreider, probably still light, but I'm giving you the benefit of the best case scenario.

The Rangers still exceed the cap substantially. You are super confident that you can trade out Staal, Smith and Lundqvist with zero precedent here. You are super confident we can remove Skjei with no money coming back, extremely rare in today's NHL. You are super confident a left side of ADA, Lindgren and Hajek is an upgrade despite poor showings from Hajek and no evidence of Deangelo even showing competence on that side. Super confident the arbitrator doesn't give any of these guys substantial raises.

That's a pattern. Everything breaks Gorton's way with no historical precedents, no evidence, and low probabilities of most of those things happening. Everyone improves throughout the entire lineup. There are contradictions, like Gorton making these investments to push for it now but conveniently ignoring the left side.

If a few things go according to historical examples, we can be in bad shape, TML level bad. Always chasing the solution but perpetually hamstrung by your old missteps. Strome and ADA can absolutely kill it in arbitration and walk out of there with a 1 or 2 year deal, licking their chops for the next negotiation. We could get shut out on the salary dump trades. We could get forced to take back money for Skjei or Buch. Any of those young d can stumble. Georgiev can sign in the KHL because of lowball offers or the 3 headed monster. We could lose guys to offer sheets, which I admit is very unlikely and rare.

I just see more pitfalls and issues than perfect breaks and new helpers through the league.

Matt Rentfree

Jan 13, 2012
Nashville, TN.
I think ADA would relish that assignment.

Honestly (and I realize this wouldn't be easy and may not even be possible), trading Trouba one for one for a left shooting equivalent of Trouba would solve a lot of problems.

Lefty version of Trouba/ADA
Skjei/Fox
Lindgren/3 RD (this will eventually be Lundqvist but until that time could be a free agency pickup)
Hajek/Rykov as #7

Reactions: NYRangers16

Michal

Apr 12, 2019
Warsaw, Poland
Protecting Trouba, Lindgren, and ADA is very easily the correct decision for the expansion draft. Expose Skjei and hope Seattle picks up the contract or let them take a kid like Hajek if he's still in the organization. There's absolutely no need to make a move so that Seattle doesn't select a specific player.

Assuming everyone is still here (not counting anyone that's on an expiring contract this season besides ADA/Lemieux), this is what I could imagine:

F: Panarin, Mika, Buch, Chytil, Lemieux --> two remaining spots can go to one of Kreider/Strome and Gauthier

D: Trouba, ADA, Lindgren

G: Georgiev

Won't Lindgren be a second year NHL player who is exempt from selection?

Reactions: NYRangers16

wafflepadsave

May 28, 2011
Franklin, Tn
True, but Kreider is probably the best conditioned and strongest player we’ve had in years. Might I remind you he can jump out of a hot tub

I’m also in the minority here probably, but I think we can compete today....we’re a piece or two and some playoff experience away IMO.
I believe Kreider is custom made for teams whose window is wide f*cking open right now not when they need a #1 left defenseman and another scorer.

Last edited:

Avery16

Shake my hand, fatso
Jun 28, 2015
Brooklyn
Exactly, but not this year . The czar has sped up everyone’s timeline.
Great goalies can steal a series, but you need more than a hot goaltender to compete in the playoffs. I’ve seen some comparisons to what Shesty is doing and what the Blues accomplished last season with Binnington. But the Blues had amazing f and d depth for seasons at that point, and were high producers in the regular season. We’re starting to get some D depth. Our F depth is shit. We have a taste of reg season production. These aren’t the same situations.

We relied on an elite goaltender to steal games and series for us, and how many cups did we win in that span?

Reactions: Siddi

Michal

Apr 12, 2019
Warsaw, Poland
Lindgren requires protection. Capfriendly has an interactive tool you can play around with.
Sh*t! I was convinced he was going to be exempt...There is a rule "All first- and second-year NHL players, and all unsigned draft choices, will be exempt from selection (and will not be counted toward protection limits." but apparently it means players in the first or second year of their ELC are exempts (Lindgren will be after 2 seasons in nhl but in the third year of his contract...)

NYRangers0723

Apr 30, 2019
Playoff experience is great for the young kids. Let’s be honest we aren’t gonna be getting a top 5 pick most likely we are probably gonna be in the teens so if we get into the playoffs I would love it

Last edited:

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse
Reactions: Michal

Avery16

Shake my hand, fatso
Jun 28, 2015
Brooklyn
playing defense on your off hand is difficult. there are only a handful of dmen who can pull it off but pretty sure no one is really "comfortable" on their off side. its not like playing forward.

plus in a league where you are paid on production, taking one for the team like that could be career suicide.

could he do it ? sure.

would that make sense ? nope.
If Brendan Smith can do it, lets just say it probably isnt brain surgery.

Riche16

McCready guitar god
Aug 13, 2008
The Dreaded Middle
I don't know what team you are watching but this team has defended a lot better the last 20 games. Is it perfect? No Do there need to be improvements? Yes. The eye test and numbers say this team is playing far better than earlier in the year.
Better than abysmal is indeed better. Ask Shesty.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
playing defense on your off hand is difficult. there are only a handful of dmen who can pull it off but pretty sure no one is really "comfortable" on their off side. its not like playing forward.

plus in a league where you are paid on production, taking one for the team like that could be career suicide.

could he do it ? sure.

would that make sense ? nope.

The Devils played a season with 6 left handed defensemen on the roster. Martin, White, ODuya, Salvador, Greene, Mottau in 2009.

It's just out of fashion, not impossible.

Reactions: egelband
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad