Speculation: Roster Building Thread XXXIV: Walk the line into the ring of fire

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Zynbanejad

To Blais or Not To Blais
Jul 7, 2010
@Edge pointed out that Gorton has really tried not to put himself in bad negotiating spots in the past. I don’t think he would be in love with signing Kreider and then wait I until the offseason to make a deal where every team would know the Rangers would need to shed cap. No one would be doing them any favors. I think it’s more likely he would prefer to move someone else at this deadline to at least begin giving himself some wiggle room in the offseason if he signs Kreider.

Are the Coyotes no longer in this league?

;)

Reactions: NYR Viper

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
@Edge pointed out that Gorton has really tried not to put himself in bad negotiating spots in the past. I don’t think he would be in love with signing Kreider and then wait I until the offseason to make a deal where every team would know the Rangers would need to shed cap. No one would be doing them any favors. I think it’s more likely he would prefer to move someone else at this deadline to at least begin giving himself some wiggle room in the offseason if he signs Kreider.
I dont disagree here by any means. I just think that say they announce the extension tomorrow. That leaves about a day to orchestrate a trade around one or more of Skjei/Strome/Buch which to me isnt a simple move. That has to be calculated to a degree, especially if its Skjei or Buch. Strome could be a 1st/2nd and prospect or NHL ready prospect. But the other two I think you have to assess their value/youth/cap hit/progression/potential and determine whats the best and fair return for them.

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
Were CK to be traded, they obviously be flushing this season. Not the end of the world but certainly short term painful. i also sorry DQ would be forced to push Gauthier into CK’s spot. Could be seeing him up for failure or at least frustration. So there are some knock on effects. Would be imperative to get a haul for CK and also helpful for morale of it were generally accepted CK was demanding the moon. Both might not be feasible, it’s appearing.
All that said, I don’t think JG wants to be swayed by the circumstances. He seems to be a stick-to-plan type.

NikC

Oct 7, 2008
That went out the window when they signed Panarin. And, I really think people are being a bit greedy with the idea of another can’t miss prospect. You already have two elite forwards, and you just got Kakko. You also have Chytil. You’ve accumulated a large arsenal of assets. The forward group is really taking shape. The right side of the defense is set, and Lindgren is establishing himself. The left defense is the area of concern, but there are options internally and assets to address the issue externally. This season remains house money. Next year is when the clock truly begins.

Greedy? Lol. U seriously believe this team is ready to start contending?
They have 2 elite talents? Panarin yes. Zabinajad has to stay healthy.

The Rangers need as much talent as possible. This forward group is not even close.

Reactions: wafflepadsave

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
Based on Zucker and Kase, the market for wingers, rental or not, seems to be very weak. Imo the question is if the team sees value in just not having Kreider on the books rather than what the return is. The return will be poor based on all available evidence. Late, late first and a middling at best prospect.

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
Good point. They had a rough time getting through last summer and I guess it would be an even tougher summer toss time around. So many moving parts.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
I don’t think many are aware of the following:

Long-term it doesn’t matter one bit how many top picks we get and how much talent we assemble if Gorton fail to be able to lock up players on good contracts — border line steals. Look at Toronto.

I don’t get the lack of attention we put on trying to get good contracts. Go and play at Capfriendly, how good can a team be if everyone are paid market value? 80m cap, let’s say the 4th line cost you 5m and the two goalies 10m. That leaves you with 65m or 4.3m per average for the top 15 skaters.

Panarin and Trouba takes 20m of those 65. 45m or 3.46m on average left for the remaining 13 top fifteen skaters.

Let’s say we resign Kreider to 7m per and TDA to say 6m. What’s left? 32m or 2.9m on average for the remaining eleven, i.e 2.9m on average left for what currently is Ziba, Buch, Kakko, Fox, Skjei, Chytil, Lemieux, Howden, Kravy down the line, Lindgren, and co.

Let’s say we ONLY keep 3 of those guys at an average of 6-7m per, make it an even 20m (sounds really cheap for guys like Ziba, Kakko, Fox and co, but whatever), the other EIGHT of the top 3 line and pairings (ie no 4th lineers), would have 12 m to split between them.

I know many don’t get my whining about Gorton’s bridge deals and I get the allure for keeping Kreider, but I think these are things that will be quite obvious in a few years, the effects of it...

Last edited:

Fireonk

Jan 10, 2006
I am wondering if Vegas could be a dark horse for Kreider. Not sure if they have been discussed at all, but they just cleared some cap with Eakin and they have Tuch out for a bit. Theyre bottom 6 isn't looking too pretty right now so another winger might be interesting for them. They dont have the cap space to really go after anyone with term to actually help.

Reactions: egelband

Michal

Apr 12, 2019
Warsaw, Poland
I have been in the Pro trade CK21 camp for a longer time. I just had a chat with someone that told me he thinks the Rangers will keep him, if they can meet in the middle of their given offers. 60-70% chance he is still a Ranger on Tuesday iow. If JG does not receive a better offer, it is likely he stays/signs tomorrow and others are moved instead. Skjei was the first name he mentioned. He also said he thinks Hank will not be a Ranger next year. I asked trade, buyout or retirement? He simply said it is up to the King. THey will let him choose his destiny.Kind of like that Frank guy in jail in The Godfather 2. ;) 8th year was bad for all involved parties.Same old same old

I think Skjei is overpaid but if he is traded who will be our 1 LD next season and year later? Miller, Lindgren, Hajek, Rykov are too young (and probably only miller has a potential to be a true 1LD in the future) and Staal is too bad ;)

Avery16

Shake my hand, fatso
Jun 28, 2015
Brooklyn
I think Skjei is overpaid but if he is traded who will be our 1 LD next season and year later? Miller, Lindgren, Hajek, Rykov are too young (and probably only miller has a potential to be a true 1LD in the future) and Staal is too bad ;)
ADA

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
Forward depth needs to be sorted out. If Kreider is kept your top 6 is more or less sorted out.

The bottom 6 is where they can move the chess pieces around. Maybe you move out certain players and get others that fit a different style of play. They started this movement by grabbing Gauthier

True, but those aren’t major pieces.

cheech70

Oct 26, 2013
NNJ
I am wondering if Vegas could be a dark horse for Kreider. Not sure if they have been discussed at all, but they just cleared some cap with Eakin and they have Tuch out for a bit. Theyre bottom 6 isn't looking too pretty right now so another winger might be interesting for them. They dont have the cap space to really go after anyone with term to actually help.

Tuch coming off injury need cap space to reinstate hence Eakin gone

Fireonk

Jan 10, 2006
Tuch coming off injury need cap space to reinstate hence Eakin gone

I see your good reasoning and raise you a proposal that will never happen. Kreider and Skjei for Tuch, Glass, Reaves, and Holden. Last 2 for cap reasons of course.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad