Speculation: Roster Building Thread XXXIV: Walk the line into the ring of fire

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Pawnee Rangers

Jan 10, 2019
If the team holds onto Kreider and misses the playoffs, then it'll have gotten exactly what it deserves. It's a stupid decision for both the short term (failing to get assets for him in the hopes that he might help make the playoffs so we can be swept by BOS, TB, etc.) and long-term (overpaying a soon-to-decline player, and probably giving him an NMC as well b/c when it rains it f*cking pours)

If the team trades Kreider and makes the playoffs, that's arguably the best case scenario, b/c it'll mean we're good enough to deal with losing a Top 6 winger and keep playing at our current pace.

And arguably the least realistic. If they trade him, season is over. They’d pack it in.

Synergy27

F-A-C-G-C-E
Apr 27, 2004
Washington, D.C.
I think the natural course for that team was to be bad to accumulate better talent. Instead Hank and Jagr took that team over and they diverted.
And never got it done. The parallels are a bit uncanny and it has me nervous. I really wanted one more year (this year) of suckage so we could add another can't miss prospect to the mix. That very likely isn't happening anymore, so it'll be interesting to see how this shakes out.

NYRangers0723

Apr 30, 2019
And arguably the least realistic. If they trade him, season is over. They’d pack it in.
Absolutely. It’s not just losing one of your best offensive weapons it also effects Mika and Buch and the PP. look if they are gonna trade him that means that the contract talks went dead and they simply have no choice anymore. However the decision has become much tougher with how good the team is playing. The good news is that the talks are still going which leads to to believe that they can reach a compromise possibly not definite but maybe

UnSandvich

Sep 7, 2017
. What if we resign him to a decent deal and we win a cup over the next 5-6 years? Is that a best scenario?

yeah I completely disagree. signing Kreider is for the future as much as it is today. For next year, for 3 years from now and 5 years from now.

you also sound vindictive... which is odd

I think signing Kreider pushes down our Cup chances, not up. And vindictive? I guess? I certainly don't see it, but hey, if you can read my tone better than I can, more power to you

Good for us then, they'll get a higher draft pick, thereby increasing our odds at getting one of the better players in the draft.

Reactions: NYRangers16

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
From a couple months ago...

2. At last year’s December Board of Governors’ meeting, Bettman predicted an $83 million cap, only to see it end up at $81.5 million. Because that number wasn’t finalized until late June, the squeeze tortured teams and players. This time, he was more guarded, refusing to give an estimate. Instead, he recognized that the final number will come as part of a negotiation with the players, who have the right to “inflate” the ceiling by up to five per cent.
While some clubs will be careful because of what happened a year ago, others have the impression it could be $84-$85 million. Why? Because of lockout/strike fears, many players structured their contracts with lower cash payouts in 2020-21. That means lower escrow, which allows the possibility the NHLPA would be willing to raise the ceiling by more than, say, the 1.15 per cent of 2018-19.
31 Thoughts: Jim Montgomery firing hockey's latest bombshell - Sportsnet.ca

NYRangers0723

Apr 30, 2019
that doesn't sound vindictive

?
I wouldn’t say vindictive but silly is a better word. I understand people who are afraid to give him a big contract but I don’t know how he kills our cup chances? Some people really believe he will break down the second he resigns lol

Pawnee Rangers

Jan 10, 2019
I've made my feelings on this known, but whatever management decides to do with Kreider, I hope their decision isn't altered by the fact that he's currently on a hot streak.

Not a chance. The guys numbers have been pretty consistent the last five seasons. Maybe he reaches his career high in goals this season, but he’s not shattering anything. People are making too much of him playing for a contract or his current hot streak. Regardless of where this goes, Gorton knows exactly who he’s signing and who he’s trading.

Reactions: NYRangers16

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
And never got it done. The parallels are a bit uncanny and it has me nervous. I really wanted one more year (this year) of suckage so we could add another can't miss prospect to the mix. That very likely isn't happening anymore, so it'll be interesting to see how this shakes out.

That went out the window when they signed Panarin. And, I really think people are being a bit greedy with the idea of another can’t miss prospect. You already have two elite forwards, and you just got Kakko. You also have Chytil. You’ve accumulated a large arsenal of assets. The forward group is really taking shape. The right side of the defense is set, and Lindgren is establishing himself. The left defense is the area of concern, but there are options internally and assets to address the issue externally. This season remains house money. Next year is when the clock truly begins.

JC704

Jan 6, 2012

Only .0001 of all prospects are "can't miss."

Reactions: Ola

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
So if the Rangers extend Kreider, I think Gorton can shift gears to move Fast no problem. There isnt a lot of negotiating for Fast. 2nd round pick is likely the deal.

A trade of Skjei/Strome/Buch, that would take some work and you would not want that done in haste. But the thing is they do not have to move them before the deadline. It could happen in the offseason.

If they move Fast, I would like for Gorton to explore a deal for a younger forward using the multitude of their assets as a replacement in terms of depth.

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
I wouldn’t argue that. Just that I believe they’re still missing a few major pieces that I believe will be necessary in 2/3 years that are very difficult to find outside of drafting them.

Which major pieces? Aside from a top-pairing LD, I don’t see much more that’s a pressing need.

Reactions: belford22

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
Which major pieces? Aside from a top-pairing LD, I don’t see much more that’s a pressing need.
Forward depth needs to be sorted out. If Kreider is kept your top 6 is more or less sorted out.

The bottom 6 is where they can move the chess pieces around. Maybe you move out certain players and get others that fit a different style of play. They started this movement by grabbing Gauthier

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
I've made my feelings on this known, but whatever management decides to do with Kreider, I hope their decision isn't altered by the fact that he's currently on a hot streak.

Yeah, we are really easily affected in that sense. We lost a few games and people were talking about us finishing bottom 5, now we are playing better than ever. Looking at how a regular season plays out, I think us finishing bottom 8 was a real long-shot with the team we have. Whatever.

I don’t really like our PO chances. I am not sold on riding Shesty hard, think DQ is pushing it already and that he must get Geo in more, and back on track. We need to win ton of the 23 games left to get in, we will lose games at home ice 2-1 despite putting 40+ shots on net and dominating against a team with nothing to play for, we will lose some games against the best teams. These things always happen. I think the 30% number probably is a pretty fair reflection. If anything a little high.

Reactions: egelband

NoQuitInNewMexico

it's okay cause it's all just the way it should be
Jan 7, 2011
new mexico lol
I do think the rest of the Metro has also been dropping more points in this stretch? But you can't count on that to keep up. I predicted the division would be weak this year, obviously I was dead wrong

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
So if the Rangers extend Kreider, I think Gorton can shift gears to move Fast no problem. There isnt a lot of negotiating for Fast. 2nd round pick is likely the deal.

A trade of Skjei/Strome/Buch, that would take some work and you would not want that done in haste. But the thing is they do not have to move them before the deadline. It could happen in the offseason.

If they move Fast, I would like for Gorton to explore a deal for a younger forward using the multitude of their assets as a replacement in terms of depth.
Yeah this is what I was thinking. Assuming Kreider stays, they have to move Fast by the deadline- possibly they move Fast regardless.The rest probably gets addressed in the summer.
i suppose if Kreider stays that is management saying the accumulation phase is over, maybe in the summer Skjei and/or Buch could be liquidated. Sales with Strome and Georgiev. Though it seemed more likely they’d just buy out Henrik. Unless he’s traded. That’s the next ‘Wild card’ after CK.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL

@Edge pointed out that Gorton has really tried not to put himself in bad negotiating spots in the past. I don’t think he would be in love with signing Kreider and then wait I until the offseason to make a deal where every team would know the Rangers would need to shed cap. No one would be doing them any favors. I think it’s more likely he would prefer to move someone else at this deadline to at least begin giving himself some wiggle room in the offseason if he signs Kreider.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL

Id say they need another center, and at least 2 top-6 wingers. I don’t truly consider Buch or Howden as viable long term options. Plus LD although I’m less concerned about that as I think ADA will eventually move over.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad