Speculation: Roster Building Thread XXXIV: Walk the line into the ring of fire

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
what is rushing it? It’s not like anybody is suggesting trading pick to go for it. The Rangers are simply letting it play out. Look I was a big supporter for the rebuild long before the letter came out and still am but that doesn’t mean we should just try not to get into the playoffs on purpose. I think that sends a shitty message. Even if Kreider if traded and we somehow make the playoffs(unlikely) but If that somehow happens I wouldn’t be upset at all. Otherwise you become the Sabres lol

Making a good decision for the long term wouldn’t turn this team into the Sabres. It just gives Gorton and his team more options moving forward to make other moves

Reactions: UnSandvich

NYRangers0723

Apr 30, 2019
I think the natural course for that team was to be bad to accumulate better talent. Instead Hank and Jagr took that team over and they diverted

the team was never gonna be bad. Especially when we signed Panarin. Gorton clearly wanted to Accelerate the rebuild substantially

Reactions: bleedblue94

NYRangers0723

Apr 30, 2019
Making a good decision for the long term wouldn’t turn this team into the Sabres. It just gives Gorton and his team more options moving forward to make other moves
It was a joke dude lol. I simply meant if Gorton feels Good with CK in the gold and the contract and doesn’t like what is being offered then I don’t see the issue.

JimmyG89

May 1, 2010
With Shesty in net, we're a playoff team.

Really starting to feel this way too. 9 games isn't a huge sample, but his play looks so smooth and there are essentially no jitters after period 1 of game 1.

Team is rolling, he's rolling and Georgiev has been solid too. Can't stand pat, but this team is so close to getting in now that re-signing Kreider, but moving Fast now still keeps them in contention.

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
Need.More.News

Brooks has been silent
I have been in the Pro trade CK21 camp for a longer time. I just had a chat with someone that told me he thinks the Rangers will keep him, if they can meet in the middle of their given offers. 60-70% chance he is still a Ranger on Tuesday iow. If JG does not receive a better offer, it is likely he stays/signs tomorrow and others are moved instead. Skjei was the first name he mentioned. He also said he thinks Hank will not be a Ranger next year. I asked trade, buyout or retirement? He simply said it is up to the King. THey will let him choose his destiny.Kind of like that Frank guy in jail in The Godfather 2. ;) 8th year was bad for all involved parties.Same old same old

@BBKers dropped a nugget for us

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
I think many people don’t want to replicate what happened with Hank when he was a rookie with Shesty. Just because you can squeak into the playoffs doesn’t mean you’re a true contender. Rushing it only means it’s more difficult to contend moving forward.

That was Sather. I don't get the sense from Gorton that the plan is going to suddenly shift just because we make the playoffs. We will take advantage of the draft, trades and free agency in an effort to add depth and fill roles. With limited cap space, we really can't go crazy in free agency anyway.

Matt Rentfree

Jan 13, 2012
Nashville, TN.
I did not realize Nick and Jason were brothers

I also can’t understand how Nick is 5’9 and Jason is 6’2

My brothers are 6'4" and 6'2" - I'm 5'9". Sometimes you just get the shit end of the stick genetically (they're also 12 and 15 years older than me and have full heads of hair - I'm bald). Now I need a drink.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
If the Rangers win a Cup in that timeframe, then I’m good with six. It’s a risk, but, I think the reward is higher than the risk.

If we were talking about this in a year or two from now, and Kreider was 29 at that time and a UFA to be I’d be more inclined to go 6. Only because I would believe this team would be closer to true contention and his prime years would be used in that window more so than being 29 now. Maybe I’m splitting hairs...

UnSandvich

Sep 7, 2017
If the team holds onto Kreider and misses the playoffs, then it'll have gotten exactly what it deserves. It's a stupid decision for both the short term (failing to get assets for him in the hopes that he might help make the playoffs so we can be swept by BOS, TB, etc.) and long-term (overpaying a soon-to-decline player, and probably giving him an NMC as well b/c when it rains it f***ing pours)

If the team trades Kreider and makes the playoffs, that's arguably the best case scenario, b/c it'll mean we're good enough to deal with losing a Top 6 winger and keep playing at our current pace.

NYRangers0723

Apr 30, 2019
If the Rangers win a Cup in that timeframe, then I’m good with six. It’s a risk, but, I think the reward is higher than the risk

Every contract is a risk. Look I love Panarin but he is the same age of Kreider and had a big contract. Panarin is obviously a better player but my point is every contract is a risk. Also you can’t just bank on every kid we draft bring a good player. I mean I actually loved the Anderson pick but we see how that has turned out. I loved the Kravstov puck when everyone else was crying about Wahlstrom but we don’t know how Kravstov will ultimately end up being. So I understand not wanting the hamstrung yourself but at the same time if you want to win you have to take risks too

Reactions: egelband

NYRangers0723

Apr 30, 2019
If the team holds onto Kreider and misses the playoffs, then it'll have gotten exactly what it deserves. It's a stupid decision for both the short term (failing to get assets for him in the hopes that he might help make the playoffs so we can be swept by BOS, TB, etc.) and long-term (overpaying a soon-to-decline player, and probably giving him an NMC as well b/c when it rains it f*cking pours)

If the team trades Kreider and makes the playoffs, that's arguably the best case scenario, b/c it'll mean we're good enough to deal with losing a Top 6 winger and keep playing at our current pace

. What if we resign him to a decent deal and we win a cup over the next 5-6 years? Is that a best scenario?

Reactions: KOVALEV022473

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Agreed. If it was all Panarin then Fast would have a shit ton more points.

Strome has had his numbers boosted, but he has been playing objectively good hockey. He's certainly a true 2nd line center right now.

How good are Fast numbers with Panarin? They must be pretty good at least...

Reactions: egelband

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
Really starting to feel this way too. 9 games isn't a huge sample, but his play looks so smooth and there are essentially no jitters after period 1 of game 1.

Team is rolling, he's rolling and Georgiev has been solid too. Can't stand pat, but this team is so close to getting in now that re-signing Kreider, but moving Fast now still keeps them in contention.
This is the base... then we trim the fat, like Staal and Smith. HL contract. Add more youth/talent. We will only improve.

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
If the team holds onto Kreider and misses the playoffs, then it'll have gotten exactly what it deserves. It's a stupid decision for both the short term (failing to get assets for him in the hopes that he might help make the playoffs so we can be swept by BOS, TB, etc.) and long-term (overpaying a soon-to-decline player, and probably giving him an NMC as well b/c when it rains it f*cking pours)

If the team trades Kreider and makes the playoffs, that's arguably the best case scenario, b/c it'll mean we're good enough to deal with losing a Top 6 winger and keep playing at our current pace.
yeah I completely disagree. signing Kreider is for the future as much as it is today. For next year, for 3 years from now and 5 years from now.

you also sound vindictive... which is odd

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad