Speculation: Roster Building Thread VI (2019/2020)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

NernieBichols

Aug 8, 2011
This century it's pretty much the McD trade and then the Zibanejad trade. If the latter can perform at a high level for several more seasons, it will be fun to debate which turned out better.
What’s even more fun is Zibanejad is indirectly part of the gomez/mcd trade tree as gomez’s Money was used to sign gaborik who brought back brassard who brought back mika

Kakko Schmakko

Feb 24, 2018
before his value drops? He'd have to build significant value before we could trade him without an asset attached, without retaining max salary, or for something other than a Spooner. Our best bet on Strome is not QOing him after this season.

He kinda built up his value last season.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
I mean, if you're comfortable with Jesper Fast as the 2nd line right wing moving forward...
Didn’t say that either. But I also don’t think the Rangers need to ice a playoff roster.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Nice to see Neal Pionk get off to a good start in Winnipeg. Played 27 minutes against NJ. 3 pts in 2 games. Winnipeg fans loves him.

I wouldn’t underestimate the impact this has on Gorton’s ability to make deals in the future. I think Talbot’s impact in EDM helped our ability to move Raanta, and so forth. It’s a copy cat league, if a few teams can get good players from a team others will do the same. And sometimes it’s other way around, teams are able to shelter certain players and then most tend to suck after they have been traded, it has an impact eventually.

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
I actually really like the dpairs....with the exception of staal, but there's no permutation where I'd feel comfortable with him either. Makes sense to put our top defenseman there to carry him.

howztheglass

Jan 27, 2009
That is A LOT of youth back there.

Plus we have Rykov / Keane whom can be added to that list. Far cry from many years ago when we had almost no pipeline.

Ah yes the days of

Eric Cairns
Joc Cirelli
Eddie Hospodar
Make Malik---Between the legs.

One my all time favorites Shoot the puck Barry Shoot the puck....yeah I go back a few years.

But one thing JG has built is depth on the backend.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
I actually really like the dpairs....with the exception of staal, but there's no permutation where I'd feel comfortable with him either. Makes sense to put our top defenseman there to carry him.

Yeah I like the D pairs too in theory but with so much youth and new faces it's gonna be a bit tough until things really start to come together (if they ever do)

Chytilmania

Dec 31, 2017
I don’t disagree. And I also think that Lemieux is a perfect fit for us, wouldn’t mind seing him moved up the line up eventually.
I will never understand why he doesn't get 3rd line mins. Love his energy and he actually has offensive potential.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
Eh I watch Lemieux and see a 4th liner so far. He shot a bit hot last year with Winipeg I think and got people thinking he had more goal scoring potential than he probably does.

I could be wrong, but so far I don't really see the upside other people seem to want to see. NOt saying he's bad, just I'm not expecting him to suddenly pot 15-15 or something

Reactions: belford22

ZiGOODejad

intangibles
Nov 30, 2013
Eh I watch Lemieux and see a 4th liner so far. He shot a bit hot last year with Winipeg I think and got people thinking he had more goal scoring potential than he probably does.

I could be wrong, but so far I don't really see the upside other people seem to want to see. NOt saying he's bad, just I'm not expecting him to suddenly pot 15-15 or something
He just needs to be our energy guy when we look flat he looks like he fits that mold to a T

LiveLongandProspal

NY Rangers = America's Team
May 29, 2010
New York City
Staal and Strome getting valuable minutes will prevent this team from realizing its full potential. Strome should switch spots with Lias (Lias to 2C; Strome to 4C) and Staal should be moved to the bench with Lindgren being called up.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
Quinn (or Ruff? lol) should get a star for switching D pairs. It actually provided relief to three player, yes, Skjei included for not having to play on the first pair and being asked to be more responsible in watching out for Fox.

I was / am proponent of staying patient and giving combinations a chance to work it out. However, I have seen absolutely no chemistry between Strome and either of his wingers. He and they work hard but this group doesn’t show any ability to create together.

I also don’t see any strong evidence that Andersson or Howden are ready to move up. Who I think deserve a look-see might be Namestnikov. His hands are not of a top 6 player but his IQ and work ethic are there and that might be just enough to support Kreider and Kakko.

My $0.2

Last edited:

bobbop

Henrik & Pop
Sponsor
May 27, 2004
Now, Suburban Phoenix. Then, Long Island
Random thought...Rangers need a 2C and may or may not have that player in the organization today.

Edmonton needs to get more young talent in their organization and move salary out. They also face a future where they have one too many top 6 centers.

Consider the possibility of a Ryan Nugent-Hopkins trade where the Rangers get a bona fide 2C and Edmonton gets a) a young Ranger forward, b) a young Ranger defenseman and a current roster player with a salary (Namestnikov?) to balance out the deal. (I’m not naming any players, I’ll leave that to your imagination) The Rangers get a reasonably young player (26) controlled through next year (and plenty of time to sign to an extension) and a player I think would thrive outside of Edmonton.

I’d love to see if the Rangers could trade from their excess and fill what I see as a real need with a player I believe has a lot of career in front of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad