Speculation: Roster Building Thread VI (2019/2020)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

gravey9

Dec 29, 2008
Namestnikov has opened this season perfectly OK.

I don't disagree. That said, Names was frustrating yesterday. Yes, he was often in the right place. He skated well. But there were several instances where he had the puck on his stick and was far too soft. He gave away possession too much, especially near the blue lines. He was making rookie mistakes. And on this team, that's really unacceptable. The vets need to play the right way.

For instance, Skjei made a bunch of bad decisions/bad reads. Constantly puts himself out of position to make an offensive play and relies on his skating to recover far too much. He's still making the kinds of reads a rookie makes. Not a 4th/5th year player. He's not young anymore.

On this team, with so many young kids we need our veterans to set the pace. Show how to play intelligently and firmly. To me, the shape of this team going forward needs to be about eliminating soft and reckless vets from the lineup. That's the kind of stuff that makes young teams stagnate and get bad habits.

As an example, I watched the Oilers beat the Kings last night and the lack of intelligent, firm plays all over the ice (and some very mediocre goaltending) kept the Kings in that entire game. It should not have been that close.

The Oilers are no longer a young team. Most players are now in or entering prime. Yet, they are forever perceived as a young team because they STILL play an immature game. And it's just so disappointing to witness.

HatTrick Swayze

Just Be Nice
Jun 16, 2006
Chicago
Agreed no way DQ can separate Panarin and Zibanejad right now.

But when they inevitably do get broken up for whatever reason I would be interested to see KZB and Panarin w Kakko.

Reactions: PalmCoastRanger

bobbop

Henrik & Pop
Sponsor
May 27, 2004
Now, Suburban Phoenix. Then, Long Island
Isn't our #2C is now a #4C in Hartford? Wolfpack looks like is filled 90% with AHL vets.
Most AHL teams have at best 4-5 bona fide NHL prospects. The smart ones fill out the roster with quality AHL veterans who can carry the team and let the prospects develop. This year, Ranger management got a lot smarter.

Kakko Schmakko

Feb 24, 2018
Most AHL teams have at best 4-5 bona fide NHL prospects. The smart ones fill out the roster with quality AHL veterans who can carry the team and let the prospects develop. This year, Ranger management got a lot smarter.

I agree, but I think they got carried away a bit and overdid it.

Kakko Schmakko

Feb 24, 2018
Namestnikov has opened this season perfectly OK.

I was expecting more from him the way he played in preseason and this being a contract year. I thought he could get a center spot between fellow Russians Buch and Panarin.

gravey9

Dec 29, 2008
Re: the 2nd Line struggles...

I know we're all ready to blame Strome for the 2nd line's ineffectiveness. But I'm not convinced it's that simple. I'm all for putting Lias, Names or Howden in there and seeing if the line clicks, but really that's assuming Kreider and Kakko have chemistry. They just may not compliment each other.

I think the approach needs to be about figuring out a pairing with chemistry.

I can't recall if Quinn preaches this. But I seem to remember AV and other head coaches focus on creating 2-somes that have chemistry. Zib-Panarin have it. Which allows Buch to ride shotgun. But outside of Zib/Panarin we haven't found a second two-some with similar chemistry.

Kakko's game seems to scream for a creative center. The kid is shifty and creative and Kreider is just so North/South meat and potatoes, I don't know if he's creative enough to read/react off Kakko. They often seem to be on different planets out there.

The question is, who on this roster or beyond is the right two-some partner for Kakko? Lias, Names, Strome or Howden? Kravtsov (as the other wing)?

The best center on the current roster for Kakko is either Lias or Names. Interestingly, in the pre-season L/N actually showed nice forechecking chemistry. So, here's what I'd do.

Lias, Names, Kakko
Howden, Kreider, Fast
Strome/McKegg, Lemieux, Smith

If Kravtsov or Chytil come up, then I sit Strome and move fast down to the fourth. So, I'd have Howden, Kreider, Chytil/Kravtsov.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Re: the 2nd Line struggles...

I know we're all ready to blame Strome for the 2nd line's ineffectiveness. But I'm not convinced it's that simple. I'm all for putting Lias, Names or Howden in there and seeing if the line clicks, but really that's assuming Kreider and Kakko have chemistry. They just may not compliment each other.

I think the approach needs to be about figuring out a pairing with chemistry.

I can't recall if Quinn preaches this. But I seem to remember AV and other head coaches focus on creating 2-somes that have chemistry. Zib-Panarin have it. Which allows Buch to ride shotgun. But outside of Zib/Panarin we haven't found a second two-some with similar chemistry.

Kakko's game seems to scream for a creative center. The kid is shifty and creative and Kreider is just so North/South meat and potatoes, I don't know if he's creative enough to read/react off Kakko. They often seem to be on different planets out there.

The question is, who on this roster or beyond is the right two-some partner for Kakko? Lias, Names, Strome or Howden? Kravtsov (as the other wing)?

The best center on the current roster for Kakko is either Lias or Names. Interestingly, in the pre-season L/N actually showed nice forechecking chemistry. So, here's what I'd do.

Lias, Names, Kakko
Howden, Kreider, Fast
Strome/McKegg, Lemieux, Smith

If Kravtsov or Chytil come up, then I sit Strome and move fast down to the fourth. So, I'd have Howden, Kreider, Chytil/Kravtsov.

Strome also just have no hockey sense. Might as well put Brendan Smith there...

Reactions: Ori and Midikem

BBKers

Jan 9, 2006
Bialystok, Poland
2021 - 2022 NYR
Bread - Zinbad - K2
Chytil - Byfield - Kravtsov
Return for Kreider+ (Canadian wood) - Henriksson - Buch??
Andersson - Barron/Howden - Lemieux/Fast (likely to Seattle in draft)
Goon

Miller - Trouba
Skjei?? - Lundkvist/ADA
Rykov/Lindgren/Hajek/Reuanen/Robertsson... - Fox

Georgiev/Shesty

Reactions: Ori and Cag29

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
I know it's still early, but a bonafide 2C would change the dynamic of the entire season.

I’ll venture a guess that there’s a decent amount of lingering disappointment that Chytil didn’t come in and flat-out take the spot. As you said, that would make a tremendous difference.

Personally, I want to see Andersson get time with more skilled talent. We’ve seen flashes of what he can do when that happens.

NYR94

Mar 31, 2005
Long Island, NY
I know it's only 2 games into the regular season, but every time the second line is out there and has another lackluster shift I can't help but think of Chytil. The Rangers are fortunate so far that the first line is producing like crazy. I'm sure Quinn is going to try some different line combinations for the other lines during this weird bye week though.

Kendo

Jun 16, 2006
The Hamburger Train.
Random thought...Rangers need a 2C and may or may not have that player in the organization today.

Edmonton needs to get more young talent in their organization and move salary out. They also face a future where they have one too many top 6 centers.

Consider the possibility of a Ryan Nugent-Hopkins trade where the Rangers get a bona fide 2C and Edmonton gets a) a young Ranger forward, b) a young Ranger defenseman and a current roster player with a salary (Namestnikov?) to balance out the deal. (I’m not naming any players, I’ll leave that to your imagination) The Rangers get a reasonably young player (26) controlled through next year (and plenty of time to sign to an extension) and a player I think would thrive outside of Edmonton.

I’d love to see if the Rangers could trade from their excess and fill what I see as a real need with a player I believe has a lot of career in front of them.

Nuge would be a fantastic target, but there are issues with adding Flip or Lias due to the lack of term. However, Hajek/Lindgren/Robertson/Rykov/Tarmo on the left, and ADA/Lundqvist/Keane on the right are completely on the table. Unless Buch, Howden or Henriksson pique their interest, I don't see a match.

Would love to see it though...

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
I know it's only 2 games into the regular season, but every time the second line is out there and has another lackluster shift I can't help but think of Chytil. The Rangers are fortunate so far that the first line is producing like crazy. I'm sure Quinn is going to try some different line combinations for the other lines during this weird bye week though.

I agree and there are certainly room for improvement.

But I do think that its also fair to consider that when you have a top line as hot as ours have been, you want a bit of a cynical approach from the other lines. After we take the 2-1 lead, you don't want to let Ottawa into the game again. All other lines also know that if they can play 0-0, there is a good chance that that top line will win it for us. If we look at that Ottawa game for example, a big chunk of the shifts lines 2-4 take in that game isn't about playing good hockey, they are about not giving anything up.

Hockey is in the end a game with so small marginals that to a large degree, its about working the percentages. Do you get 5/10/15/20 minutes of ice time? You will be 300% more likely to score a point with 20 minutes of ice than 5 minutes of ice time. A lot of the pts comes from special teams, is a player getting time there? Then you have the motions of a hockey game. Its what, 10 minutes left of the second when we take the lead. Nobody want to see any other line than maybe the 1st trying to be fancy from there on. And so forth. A D backing down instead of stepping up at the blueline. Someone banging the puck out instead of making a cute play in his own end. These things just adds up.

Ori

Nov 7, 2014
Norway
Rangers is 18th on the Power Ranking which means most of the teams in our division is better than us - so a win against Ottawa and Jets without defense almost do not spark confidence. Kakko looked overhyped and can`t carry Kreider with 43.3% modified Tesla Engine & strome should be playing at that 4th line while Lias need to get promoted to carry that Kakko line! :)

Zib have a record two opening games with 8 points and can take the remaining month off which could happen, and it`s too early in the season to predict anything. And all teams in our division except Colombus & Devils are stronger than us on the paper.

Last edited:

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Rangers is 18th on the Power Ranking which means most of the teams in our division is better than us - so a win against Ottawa and Jets without defense almost do not spark confidence. Kakko looked overhyped and can`t carry Kreider with 43.3% modified Tesla Engine & strome should be playing at that 4th line while Lias need to get promoted to carry that Kakko line! :)

Zib have a record two opening games with 8 points and can take the remaining month off which could happen, and it`s too early in the season to predict anything. And all teams in our division except Colombus & Devils are stronger than us on the paper.

yes one guy is the authority on all things NHL.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
Every year there are good players that become available via trade for various reasons. Ryan Nugent Hopkins has been on the block reportedly for a while. Nazem Kadri was just traded from Toronto.

Reactions: leetch99

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse
the 2nd line hasn't done much.

9 shots in 2 games.

2 points with CK having both. and 1 was a pp assists btw

5v5 2 games total points for that line is a big fat zero.

kakko and strome. zero. points.

CK looks bland. hes fast as f*** but not much else.

kakko looks like a rookie. good and bad moments

strome has had some nice passes and setups and won a few key face-offs but the rest is blah. nothing overly dynamic for any of them.

is it strome or is it lack of any chemistry. ive seen nothing so far from that line to indicate they are ready to break out.

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
RNH is a very good player, and the kind of center who looks like a good fit on paper for sure. However, I'm not sure the Rangers would have much of an appetite for a guy who just scored 69 points and is probably looking at an $8M+ Group III deal if he can build off of it. Cap management is going to be paramount for this team.

If the Rangers do address that 2C spot, I doubt we see it before the summer. I think Chytil, Andersson, and Howden will be given as many opportunities as possible to win that job before the Rangers start seriously exploring the market for an external option. If a guy falls into their laps? Sure, that could change things. However I just don't see it happening during the year.

There's always the possibility of the Rangers finding another Brassard-type as well. A once promising center who hasn't quite put it all together, perhaps is even regressing, but is on a manageable contract for 2 or 3 more seasons and worth the gamble. Dvorak and Wennberg spring to mind.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
RNH is a very good player, and the kind of center who looks like a good fit on paper for sure. However, I'm not sure the Rangers would have much of an appetite for a guy who just scored 69 points and is probably looking at an $8M+ Group III deal if he can build off of it. Cap management is going to be paramount for this team.

If the Rangers do address that 2C spot, I doubt we see it before the summer. I think Chytil, Andersson, and Howden will be given as many opportunities as possible to win that job before the Rangers start seriously exploring the market for an external option. If a guy falls into their laps? Sure, that could change things. However I just don't see it happening during the year.

There's always the possibility of the Rangers finding another Brassard-type as well. A once promising center who hasn't quite put it all together, perhaps is even regressing, but is on a manageable contract for 2 or 3 more seasons and worth the gamble. Dvorak and Wennberg spring to mind.

Not only do I not seeing it happening before the summer, I think there's a distinct chance it doesn't happen until sometime next season. I think there's a bit of runway left on this one.

Still plenty of time for Chytil or Andersson to claim their stake.

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
Not only do I not seeing it happening before the summer, I think there's a distinct chance it doesn't happen until sometime next season. I think there's a bit of runway left on this one.

Still plenty of time for Chytil or Andersson to claim their stake.

I agree. However, if we see some unexpectedly large jumps forward by some of the other players then I'll be curious to see how management responds. Say Hajek ends up as a reliable partner for Trouba, Kakko wins the Calder, and the Rangers barely miss out on the playoffs. Would something like that change their appetite for letting Andersson and Chytil develop on their own timeline? It'll be an interesting story line even it being a far fetched scenario.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad