Speculation: Roster Building Thread: Part XXXVIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wewillrise

Jul 25, 2015
Like others have said you would be paid to take him along with the Oilers getting a top 6 winger. Only problem of Kreider only has 2 more seasons so the 8th is a steep price to pay. Anyway I do see the two clubs having a good trade possibility.

haohmaru

boomshakalaka
Aug 26, 2009
Fleming Island, Fl
Two are ex captains. One wore the A

Always grateful for what they did but "Bringing it every night" wasn't their niche (save for Cally). It was only last season where McD, G, Miller were part of a team giving up goals in the first minute of almost half the games they played.

Hedman being concussed sure didn't help them. But I still feel trading McD was as much about the change of culture as his contract.

Yeah, I understand that they were "leaders" but I also think they (Girardi and Callahan) are well past their prime and the impact they can have on a squad is probably a lot more limited now than it was for us. Girardi came off an injury and missed the last little portion of the regular season and Callahan is a guy that's scratch-worthy on a team this good at this point in his career.

Miller was happily jettisoned but, again, he's not an impact player (and wasn't for them during the regular season either).

McD, though, cements the notion (to me) that they got rid of him at the right time for a good price. I don't think he ever should've been Captain of the Rangers. He's a second pairing D at this point.

Stralman is an incomplete since he was hurt.

That doesn't change my mind, though, that the players that were "supposed" to perform - Stamkos, Point, Kucherov, etc... all closed their notebooks and went home.

(Edit) Adding:

Part of the reason I don't want to absorb Callahan's contract for the last year of his deal - I think that's a bridge already crossed and I'd rather keep that spot for a new leader than another Rangers re-tread.

Wewillrise

Jul 25, 2015
I'd want salary retained on Lucic too.
The thing with Lucic is his actual salary is as follows:

-2019-2020 6mil, 3 mil signing bonus(Oilers would pay the signing bonus and then trade him)
-2020-2021 5mil (possible compliance buyout with new CBA)
-2021-2022 4mil
-2022-2023 4mil

-Cap hit 6 mil is the problem obviously but he does still serve a purpose at 4 mil for cap floor teams.
-If he agrees to waive him NMC he would also have to agree to waive for the expansion draft.

Most people think there is going to be a compliance buyout so trading Lucic for two seasons isn’t dire for the Oilers. I doubt they would trade the 8th, Lucic for two years of Kreider. There is something there though, they may be able to work something out.

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
The expansion draft doesn't matter for Lucic. There is no chance Seattle claims him. You would want him to waive for it though to not block a spot.

In any case it would take a ridiculous amount for me to take on Lucic. The 8th would not be enough.

Alluckks

Gabriel Perreault Fan Account
Sponsor
Nov 2, 2011
The thing with Lucic is his actual salary is as follows:
-Cap hit 6 mil is the problem obviously but he does still serve a purpose at 4 mil for cap floor teams.
-If he agrees to waive him NMC he would also have to agree to waive for the expansion draft.

Most people think there is going to be a compliance buyout so trading Lucic for two seasons isn’t dire for the Oilers. I doubt they would trade the 8th, Lucic for two years of Kreider. There is something there though, they may be able to work something out.

If this is your take from the onset then there absolutely, positively is not any trade that can be worked out or is worth the breath

Also, the Rangers could not care less about what actual money he is being paid

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
For the NHL ready or already in the NHL type trades, I wonder if Calgary would be interested in Kreider.

They have a ton of D.

The last thing Calgary needs is more offense. They are in desperate need of good goaltending.

That team would be the perfect fit for Lundqvist honestly. It's a shame it won't happen because it's his best chance at a Cup.

mas0764

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 16, 2005
I think this would be the surest way to ensure we never end up a cup winner.

I think after bring burnt by big contracts with Staal and Girardi, some people have an unreasonable aversion to EVER giving out a big contract.

Matt4776

May 8, 2009
I think after bring burnt by big contracts with Staal and Girardi, some people have an unreasonable aversion to EVER giving out a big contract.

I think handing out successful big contracts have two important elements. They need to be given to the right player, and need to be given at the right time.

Staal/Girardi/Richards were all contracts given out at the right time. We were competing. You accept the terrible years at the end of the contract (which should occur after window is closed) in order to compete now. However, most would argue they were given to the wrong players.

It is quite possible that Kreider/Panarin would be the right players to be given big contracts to. Maybe they maintain their level of play for another 3 years before declining. For a UFA deal, that is a slam dunk. However, it is at the wrong time. Just as those 3 years of consistent play ends (if we get it), our true window begins. We don't want to be saddled with two bad contracts (if not albatrosses) just as we start to be competitive.

We want to be signing the Kreider/Panarin deals when we are looking to take the next step from cusp playoff team to contender. Then, deal with the bad years after our window expires. Not smack dab in the middle of it.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Two are ex captains. One wore the A

Always grateful for what they did but "Bringing it every night" wasn't their niche (save for Cally). It was only last season where McD, G, Miller were part of a team giving up goals in the first minute of almost half the games they played.

Hedman being concussed sure didn't help them. But I still feel trading McD was as much about the change of culture as his contract.

Don’t think Callahan or Stralman are the issues for Tampa’s playoff upsets and woes. Both had a strong ECF last year. It was the big guns that went ice cold yet again. I think Cally gets too much unwarranted hate because of this cap hit and if his cap hit was like 3 million no one would mind it at all. It’s interesting to note that Tampa’s last playoff win, Cally scored the GW goal that was assisted by Stralman. Both guys will most likely be moving on and it’s better for them more than it is for Tampa.

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
I don't think people are adverse to giving out big contracts to the right guys at the right time.

Exactly. I'm adverse to giving mediocre players long-term, big money contracts. I'm also adverse to giving big-name UFA's those same contracts when they're almost always a depreciating asset whose best years are typically behind them.

However, I'll be first in line to give Kakko a long-term second contract if he earns one.

Chytiljuicee

Jul 16, 2017
Thoughts on bringing Hayes back? His price tag had to of dropped since being in Winnipeg and its no secret he LOVES New York

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Thoughts on bringing Hayes back? His price tag had to of dropped since being in Winnipeg and its no secret he LOVES New York

Think he will be too pricey. If they were able to sign him cheaper think he would still be here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad