Speculation: Roster Building Thread - Part XXI

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

EdJovanovski

#RempeForCalder
Apr 26, 2016
The Rempire State
Kravtsov is currently on vacation in the Dominican Republic, but guess where he was a few hours ago? The gym. This kid has been training in the gym almost daily on his IG story throughout the entire summer, even while on an island vacation where most guys are just getting drunk and stumbling out of bed at noon. A lot of players don't even start training until pretty close to camp. Kravtsov seems hungry

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
going back to Winnipeg.. I can't see how they afford Copp. Is there a report on how much Copp wants? I'd take him

bigdog16

Nov 7, 2013
USA
Kravtsov is currently on vacation in the Dominican Republic, but guess where he was a few hours ago? The gym. This kid has been training in the gym almost daily on his IG story throughout the entire summer, even while on an island vacation where most guys are just getting drunk and stumbling out of bed at noon. A lot of players don't even start training until pretty close to camp. Kravtsov seems hungry

Id bet just about every player under 25 is training daily during the offseason. People who seek validation of working out thru social media are actually tools

Taluss

Jul 28, 2018
NYC

Gotta love it, I’m expecting a solid season from him

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden

5j9rjz.jpg

I get the sense that the negotiations with Petterson are stalled in Vancouver for that exact reason. He sees how terrible the management and owner are and how bare the prospects are when they're supposed to be coming out of a "retool/rebuild". He knows in his heart the Canucks are not built to win. He wants a deal that walks him to UFA ASAP. The Canucks are trying to get their value instead of walking him to UFA too early.

At the same time, it’s not the Islanders before Lou or the Oilers that has been mismanaged for decades, Ottawa cutting costs.

I am not super impressed by Petersson here. I totally believes that a player does not owe a team one thing, and we definitely see a trend where players with very strong support and advisers, family members that are big NHL names and so forth, throw their weight around. But with like Vancouver? If you want to win, win. You shouldn’t want other players to win for you.

Look at Tampa, they are built to 95% by shrewd management. Stamkos is barely a top 9 for them 5 on 5 and more or less a burden Yzerman inherited. Hedman was a high pick. No reason Vancouver can’t do the same.

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
going back to Winnipeg.. I can't see how they afford Copp. Is there a report on how much Copp wants? I'd take him
He’d be a great add, but he’s going to get overpaid. He also so PP time there he won’t see here. He also has a past injury history as well. If we weren’t paying Goodrow on the high end for Bottom 6 players as it is, I’d say go for it. But the jets are going to try to cash in on him just having his best year with them statistically.
I’d rather go for a signed player like Dvorak where you know what he brings but can also add offense in his role even though it’s probably a foregone conclusion he will not get PP time here. Don’t know why so many are against it. He’s not going to cost a fortune and 100% makes us better in the long run. I guess they are going to play the chytil-strome thing out for a little while longer. I know your on the DVO train with me. I really wish I wake up tom and see strome trades from NY; lol.
Dominos

Reactions: bl02

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
We’ve been hearing how much we’ve destroyed the rebuild giving Goodrow 3.6 if we give Copp the same we are gonna hear it all over again. “Rangers destroying rebuild because they are spending on their bottom 6”

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
At the same time, it’s not the Islanders before Lou or the Oilers that has been mismanaged for decades, Ottawa cutting costs.

I am not super impressed by Petersson here. I totally believes that a player does not owe a team one thing, and we definitely see a trend where players with very strong support and advisers, family members that are big NHL names and so forth, throw their weight around. But with like Vancouver? If you want to win, win. You shouldn’t want other players to win for you.

Look at Tampa, they are built to 95% by shrewd management. Stamkos is barely a top 9 for them 5 on 5 and more or less a burden Yzerman inherited. Hedman was a high pick. No reason Vancouver can’t do the same.
Tampa got very lucky hitting on some huge pieces early ( Hedman-Stamkos-Vasilefsky) and some huge pieces in the later rounds ( point-Kucherov, etc)
Then they traded for and signed proven secondary playoff talent that was battle tested in going beyond the first rd in the playoffs.
Largely coming from the ranger teams from the Torts AV era.
Boyle, Callahan, McD, Miller, Stralman, shatty etc and they also we for guys like Coburn etc
All while keeping their bottom 6 stocked with cheap young talent from good drafting in the later rounds. Even when they were trading their 1st rounders.
It was an excellent strategy but they were only really able to execute it because their main point producers/top end talent, was found early and locked in for 5 plus years.
There are many parallels when comparing to how the bolts we’re currently built to what the rangers have right now.
We just don’t have a 3rd round stud like point. Our crown gem basically forced his way to us and we were able to get him for 2 2nds. You need things like that to break for you if you want to be good for a long time.

Last edited:
Reactions: McSauer

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
Referencing the way our offensive was choked by teams that play an Islander/Canadiens style... I'd say that's exactly why guys like Blais and Goodrow were brought in and you'll likely see them getting bigger roles than anticipated. We were too much of one thing offensively. Blais or Goodrow may not merit top-six minutes on their own, but as seen with Blackwell, you don't need to in order to be effective on the Panarin line. What is needed is guys who can make dump and chase work more effectively, who forecheck hard, disrupt the breakout with physicality and allow the Rangers to establish possession against teams that trap and clog the neutral zone. Being able to breakthrough against those defensive teams is a necessary step to competing and it's a necessity in the post-season when 'pretty' doesn't get it done. Even a guy like Hunt is a good add to the 4th line, even if he only dresses 50% of the time, in this capacity.

Obviously we have the offensive depth and potency to put goals on the board. Being able to crack those teams that neutralized that offensive talent with some grit and tenacity on the chip and chase game will help. The defense has been the bigger issue overall, and with Miller gaining another year of experience and Nemeth/Lundkvist replacing Smith/Bitteto/Hajek, we should see an improvement there as well. More help on the way with Robertson and Schneider as well.
all we need is for Reaves to forecheck hard and smash Pelech's face into the glass, that will open up everything else. The Isles rode that strategy to game 7 of the ECF.

ElLeetch

Mar 28, 2018

and to think, as late as the 80s, most players considered the first 1/4 of the season as an opportunity to get down to game weight.

Reactions: THE BIG WHISTLE

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Tampa got very lucky hitting on some huge pieces early ( Hedman-Stamkos-Vasilefsky) and some huge pieces in the later rounds ( point-Kucherov, etc)
Then they traded for and signed proven secondary playoff talent that was battle tested in going beyond the first rd in the playoffs.
Largely coming from the ranger teams from the Torts AV era.
Boyle, Callahan, McD, Miller, Stralman, shatty etc and they also we for guys like Coburn etc
All while keeping their bottom 6 stocked with cheap young talent from good drafting in the later rounds. Even when they were trading their 1st rounders.
It was an excellent strategy but they were only really able to execute it because their main point producers/top end talent, was found early and locked in for 5 plus years.
There are many parallels when comparing to how the bolts we’re currently built to what the rangers have right now.
We just don’t have a 3rd round stud like point. Our crown gem basically forced his way to us and we were able to get him for 2 2nds. You need things like that to break for you if you want to be good for a long time.

I agree, but they also:
(a) had a clear strategy of playing a system that would enable the sum of a line to be more than its parts, and
(b) their cap management has been much better than ours.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad