Speculation: Roster Building Thread - Part XXI

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kocur26

Limousine Ridin’
Jul 30, 2021
This is a top 5 stupid take
THN
JACOB TROUBA
When Trouba forced his way out of Winnipeg, the Jets received a little-known commodity by the name of Neal Pionk in return. Almost three years later, the Jets would make that trade every day of the week and twice on Sunday. At $8 million for five seasons after 2020-21 Trouba earns almost double what the next highest-paid defenseman on the Rangers makes, which should not be a surprise considering the Rangers also employ the likes of Brendan Smith, Jack Johnson, Tony DeAngelo (for now) and Adam Fox on an entry-level deal.

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
Trouba is certainly overpaid and I have a feeling that contract will cause some problems as soon as next year or year after that (just like Kreider), but it's not a top-5 bad contract. Not even in the top-10.

Reactions: pld459666

Kocur26

Limousine Ridin’
Jul 30, 2021
I’m going to say this one more time - in order for the Rangers to leap forward - Drury must find a taker for Kreider or Trouba.

I know they both have nmc but they can be worked around.

Both of the aforementioned are flawed and severely overrated and paid .

Reactions: mas0764

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
He's definitely not.

Price, Bobrovsky, Doughty, Karlsson, Skinner, OEL, Duchene, Myers? Come on. There have been numerous defenseman signed just this summer who signed worse deals. Jones at 9.5x8? Nurse at 9.25x8?

Plus he's a good player. I'd rather have a good player who is slightly overpaid than a bad player who is fairly paid (or also overpaid, obviously) in his place.
Vlasic's contract is right at the top of this list.

Tob

Sep 16, 2017

5j9rjz.jpg

I get the sense that the negotiations with Petterson are stalled in Vancouver for that exact reason. He sees how terrible the management and owner are and how bare the prospects are when they're supposed to be coming out of a "retool/rebuild". He knows in his heart the Canucks are not built to win. He wants a deal that walks him to UFA ASAP. The Canucks are trying to get their value instead of walking him to UFA too early.

TheDirtyH

Jul 5, 2013
Chicago
Dom's contract articles are pretty shallow. They don't really consider what the situation is. Trouba, at the time of signing, was the only top pairing caliber defensemen in the organization (that we knew of). Many of us at the time felt that the number, the trade protection, and the years were in total a pretty substantial overpayment, and that's held true. On the other hand, it shouldn't really be in consideration for worst contract in the league.

I think having Seth Jones there is very premature. To have guys signed in the prime of their careers when they've posted very good to elite results in prior years... I think there are way worse contractual situations for a team to have. To me, Goodrow and Kreider are worse contracts on the Rangers alone--and I don't hate those ones either.

First of all, how is Carey Price not on this list? Blake Wheeler would be another for me. I'd rather have Trouba at 27 for 6 more years at 8mil than Pietrangelo at 8.8, 31 years old, for 6 more. Same with John Carlson. What about the players so heavily 'rumored' to be on the way out but prove impossible to move? Kuznetsov, Tarasenko, Evander Kane. Kevin Hayes's deal is horrendous.

Just seems pretty shallow to me.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
Trouba's ineptitude was actually Quinn's incompetent. If his career as a Ranger had started under Jacque Martin running the defense, most people would see him as a good physical top pairing guy.

So Quinn is to blame for Ruff being here the year before instead of Martin, who wasn't available at the time?

Raspewtin

Stay at home defenseman hater
May 30, 2013
This team was absolutely dogshit defensively when Trouba got hurt. We got torched all day every day. But no one remembers it because everyone was so obsessed with the caps shit they completely forget the last few weeks of the season

I don't love the idea that Trouba getting hurt was the catalyst for our complete defensive collapse end of season. Trouba going was a massive loss but we were already on borrowed time running a pair of Hajek-Smith (both among the worst of the worst at their positions) and a completely out of gas Miller. It's not to say Trouba is not important but we were probably f***ed regardless.

Reactions: EdJovanovski

TheDirtyH

Jul 5, 2013
Chicago
Trouba had a really good season last year, and last year was a really difficult situation for our young, amorphous group anyway. Better depth and compete at forward, better coaching... I think these things will go a long way for Trouba. If K'Andre struggles as a sophomore (hardly out of the question), you've also got better options than Brendan Smith to play with Trouba: namely, Nemeth, but who's to say Jones or Robertson won't be viable options? If Schneider or Lundqvist can play the off side than those are options too. He'll never see the PP again at this rate with the guys we're bringing in, but Trouba has a lot more to give.

Reactions: THE BIG WHISTLE

EdJovanovski

#RempeForCalder
Apr 26, 2016
The Rempire State
This team was absolutely dogshit defensively when Trouba got hurt. We got torched all day every day. But no one remembers it because everyone was so obsessed with the caps shit they completely forget the last few weeks of the season
Since we got Trouba, our record without Trouba is way better than our record with Trouba, and our goals against is way lower too.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
Trouba is extremely important, which is one of the reasons I'd like to keep both Schneider and Nils.

In 3 years time Trouba won't be nearly as crucial to the D corps and can be moved accordingly.

But for now, he's one of only 3 top 4 defensemen we have. That's a critical component regardless of his salary.

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
Trouba’s contract is fine. It’s in line with what other defensemen are making

Seth Jones is a worse player and signed for way more

EdJovanovski

#RempeForCalder
Apr 26, 2016
The Rempire State
When we lost Trouba due to the broken thumb our record without him:

6-2-0 with a +13 goal differential.

Rangers 3 Flyers 2