Speculation: Roster Building Thread - Part XXI

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
Isn't PLD moved to wing? He's another Chytil in that regard. He can play Center but does he excel at Center responsibilities? Still have reservations on him from what he did in Columbus.

Scheifele on the other hand :naughty:

would make us a legit cup contender. I'd give up a lot for him

HatTrick Swayze

Just Be Nice
Jun 16, 2006
Chicago
On Pionk, Nurse, Goligoski contracts etc...what I do think is happening is that good dmen who can skate (minimum) and possess the size and/or puck wizardry teams want are becoming a really valuable commodity around the league. Expansion plus even further emphasis on foot speed in the last 5-7 years means supply of the right players has not kept up w demand.

NYR should be sitting pretty with their stable of D prospects.

RangersFan1994

Aug 20, 2019
Yeah, i'd be all over PLD if i'm Drury. If going from CBJ to WPG to NY to play with his bud Panarin doesn't get his game going again, nothing will.

rather go after Dubois over Eichel. he has a mean streak and is one of the more physical young players in the league

Reactions: skipmowerman

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
HFNYR willing another player into availability one post at a time.
XDXyjCY.png

TheBloodyNine

Pure Bred Soviet Savage
Oct 8, 2016
Queens
HFNYR willing another player into availability one post at a time.
:laugh:

I mean I'd take PLD over Eichel 10 times out of 10, and I know his first season wasn't all that great for him in Winnipeg, but they just traded Laine for him less than a year ago I doubt he's available the cost is likely what you'd be paying for Eichel anyway.

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia
With Pionk signed does Winnipeg have no space for Copp?
Or can Little go on LTIR still ?
I’d like Copp in NY

Glen Sathers Cigar

Sather 4 Ever
Feb 4, 2013
New York
Trouba is an NHL top 5 worst contract.
He's definitely not.

Price, Bobrovsky, Doughty, Karlsson, Skinner, OEL, Duchene, Myers? Come on. There have been numerous defenseman signed just this summer who signed worse deals. Jones at 9.5x8? Nurse at 9.25x8?

Plus he's a good player. I'd rather have a good player who is slightly overpaid than a bad player who is fairly paid (or also overpaid, obviously) in his place.

Last edited:

Tob

Sep 16, 2017
Trouba's ineptitude was actually Quinn's incompetent. If his career as a Ranger had started under Jacque Martin running the defense, most people would see him as a good physical top pairing guy.

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
Trouba's contract is pretty much in line with other UFA year contracts. When people start comparing other contracts with RFA years to Trouba's it's an apples to oranges comparison.
27 year old Trouba @ 8M w/ 5 years left.
vs
34 year old Vlasic @ 7M with 5 years left.

There's different levels of bad too. ( look at Karlsson, Doughty and OEL as well )

redwhiteandblue

Apr 1, 2013
Honestly, how over paid is Trouba going to be in the final 2 years when the Cap has approached or blew right by $90 million ? On top of 3 more years of teams handing out bad contracts? If this is what NHL GMs are doing with 'flat cap' (or really the extra $1 mil they're being handed) then I fully expect that Trouba at 8 with some breathing room of a No Trade List vs NMC is perfectly fine. We should have plenty of opportunity to support a D around a couple of big contracts (him and Fox) with cheap controlled talent for a little bit on the blue line.

Every year that goes by I'm more and more convinced NHL GMs mostly will figure out an 'internal Cap issue' when it's actually in front of them to wiggle out of.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
It's funny. A few weeks ago I brought up the topic that Drury hadn't made any legit FO hires and wondered if that would be an issue and was laughed at (not by you, but others).

We still don't have a AGM or a GM for the AHL. Both of these were Drurys previous roles, are we saying that they aren't important? In early May, Friedman wrote that interest around the league in working for Drury was high. What happened to that? They were in for Ryan Hardy but he choose to go work for Dubas & Toronto. Lilley has been here for 2 seconds. Has this just been the Drury & Grier show?

Edge brought up an interesting name a few months ago. Scott Nichol from Nashville. He is Nashville's director of player development and the GM for their AHL team in Milwaukee. Drury had the same portfolio before he became the Rangers AGM and GM. Nichol has been in that role for a while. I am sure he is qualified to be AGM of the Rangers and GM of Hartford. Drury and Nichol played together in Calgary for that one season Drury played in Calgary.

Nashville has another executive. Jeff Kealty. He is Nashville's AGM and director of scouting. He played with Drury at BU. They entered BU together at freshman and played all four years there. What is Kealty's contract status? Kealty was a 1st round pick of the Nordiques in 1994. Drury was a third round pick of the Nordiques in 1994. That draft was held in Hartford. Quebec traded Mats Sundin to the Maple Leafs for Wendel Clark at that draft. Quebec had Joe Sakic, Mike Ricci and Peter Forsberg was joining Quebec for the 1994-95 season which became the 1995 48 game season so they could afford to move Sundin. The Rangers would give anything to have that group of centers. Is Kealty Drury's guy? Mike Grier was their BU teammate for two seasons.

The Avalanche have Chris MacFarland as their AGM. He was grow up in the Bronx. He went to Pace University for undergrad and law school. He played for Pace's hockey team. He was an intern in the NHL office. He worked for Columbus as their cap guy/CBA guy for 16 years. Colorado hired him six years ago to be their cap guy/CBA guy. Sakic needed someone to negotiate their contracts and deal with the CBA. Sakic had limited front office experience. I remember reading MacFarland played a major role in helping Sakic make the complicated Matt Duchene trade. If you look at the Avs contracts, the majority of them are top notch. Dom from The Athletic had 3 Avs contract listed in his 10 ten NHL contracts. Cale Makar. Nathan MacKinnon and Samuel Girard. Two Avs contracts were honorable mentions. Devon Toews. Mikko Rantanen. Two of the contracts were signed in the Covid world. Toews and Makar.

The Rangers need someone like MacFarland. It would nice to add MacFarland to the Rangers front office. Throw a bag of money at him. Come back home and help the Rangers.

The Gabriel Landeskog contract is 8 years and $56M. The contract has just $1M in signing bonus money. The 6th season of the eight year contract. It does not have the crazy signing bonus structure which makes the contract buyout proof. The Avs can get out of the contract if Landeskog falls off the map.

Bill Zito played hockey at Wisconsin. He went to law school. He started his own agency representing hockey players. Columbus hired him as their AGM and he also was GM of their AHL team. Zito negotiated player contracts. He helped evaluate players. He played the game. He scouted players when he was looking for clients as an agent. He scouted players as AGM. Zito was there was 7 years before becoming the Panthers GM. He has done a very good job with Florida so far.

The Rangers can't find a guy like Zito? He negotiates the contracts, evaluates players and helps the GM make decisions.

The NHL does not have a salary cap for front office staff.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad