Speculation: Roster Building Thread - Part XXI

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

wafflepadsave

May 28, 2011
Franklin, Tn
where is the proof that we’re hanging around?

Friedman said that the Rangers and Buffalo weren’t even close on agreeing on a package. They didn’t speak leading up to the draft.

Brooks says that they aren’t very interested.
Then where’s the other options they should have already pursued if they weren’t hanging around?

mas0764

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 16, 2005
Not really. They sold almost everything there was to sell as far as vets go. The goal was to get much younger with their core and restock elite young talent. Mission accomplished as far as that goes. That’s where winning kakko and LaF and fox being amazing so early was like a blessing and a curse to that letter.
It accelerated the rebuild by a year or so at least. Now all of a sudden, the team is plenty young, and super talented in an awfully lot of positions.
Besides center, their top 9 and top 4 are pretty much set for the next 5-6 years

Well, center is a pretty important one to get right, they should probably finish off this rebuild by addressing it.

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
I don't even think it was Kreider's compete level. Something changed in his game where he started looking to peel off, to go east/west when he used to go north/south and he was looking to pass first. I think it was just him falling into the same over passing and east/west globetrotter style that the top 9 was falling deeper and deeper into under Quinn.

Gallant needs to come in and snap them out of it. A guy like Panarin will always play that way and that's what makes him special, but we can't have the other 8 guys in the top 9 also trying to play that way, too. Over the past 2 seasons it seemed like everyone - Strome, Mika, Buch and eventually Kreider, Kakko and even Blackwell - were all looking pass as their first 3 options and would often peel off on the sideboards and turn down scoring chances in an attempt to get some sort of alley-oop type play. The key is having everyone play more straight forward and then having a guy like Panarin be the exception. Like those Chicago teams with Kane. Their system was a north/south system with great forechecking and then Kane is dropped in and he's the X factor. We need Panarin as our X factor and not have our other forwards try and mimic how he plays.

I think he was trying to pass too much, being too cerebral. Could be related to feeling down under Quinn. Could be losing getting to him.

Who knows, hopefully he's back to himself next season.
Very good point. There was way too much Panar-impersonation going on. Hopefully Gallant can get these guys to play to their respective strengths.

n8

WAAAAAAA!!!
Nov 7, 2002
san francisco
Visit site
Random thought but I think Laf has had the lowest average time on ice of any 1st OA player.

looking at forwards in the last ~15 years
  • Laf - 13:53
  • Hughes - 15:52
  • Hischier - 16:19
  • Matthews - 17:38
  • McDavid - 18:53
  • MacKinnon - 17:21
  • Yakupov - 14:34
  • Nugent-Hopkins - 17:36
  • Hall - 18:13
  • Tavares - 18:00
  • Stamkos - 14:56
  • Kane - 18:22
  • Crosby - 20:08

Dr. Ogrodnick

Jan 10, 2007
Random thought but I think Laf has had the lowest average time on ice of any 1st OA player.

looking at forwards in the last ~15 years
  • Laf - 13:53
  • Hughes - 15:52
  • Hischier - 16:19
  • Matthews - 17:38
  • McDavid - 18:53
  • MacKinnon - 17:21
  • Yakupov - 14:34
  • Nugent-Hopkins - 17:36
  • Hall - 18:13
  • Tavares - 18:00
  • Stamkos - 14:56
  • Kane - 18:22
  • Crosby - 20:08

Partially on Quinn, but the Rangers were also a middle of the pack team that got really lucky. All the rest of those draft picks went to bottom dweller teams with less established rosters.

brakeyawself

Oct 5, 2006
Def agree on chytil staying in the middle. 4 years and counting right now. I’m really worried about strome, whether it be on the wing or at C. I don’t hate the player, but I can see him having another solid year numbers wise, and being strome in every other facet on the ice.
If that happens, the likelihood of him getting a contract that’s grotesque goes up 10-fold.
I’d actually like to see him shipped out sooner rather then later.
I also think Barrons destiny in the NHL lies at C. Whether it’s with the big club this year, or if they send him back to the A to get heavy 1st line minutes.

Same. I really would rather we let Strome walk even if he puts up good offensive stats.

100% Chytil needs to improve on faceoffs. Could take couple more seasons. I hope he’s practicing. ALOt. Some guys never get the hang of it for whatever reason. Hope that’s not him.

Then without Strome we neeed a good 3c , maybe Barron over time. OR another prospect like Vierling or Korczac.

Reactions: jay from jersey

Alluckks

Gabriel Perreault Fan Account
Sponsor
Nov 2, 2011
Evolving Hockey's most recent blog published on 8/5 has the Rangers doing just fine with their offseason contracts thus far. We had no outliers good or bad. For instance, RNH and Landeskog were considered pretty good contracts, whereas Ovechkin and Stastny were considered a bit bloated in terms of value. These charts do not account for the Shesterkin contract, which seems to be received as relatively fair value around the league.

Evolving-Hockey

upload_2021-8-10_23-41-12.png

upload_2021-8-10_23-40-47.png

Reactions: ArPanet and EEL

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
Partially on Quinn, but the Rangers were also a middle of the pack team that got really lucky. All the rest of those draft picks went to bottom dweller teams with less established rosters.
Like stated previously, special teams time makes a difference there too. Had Lafreniere played on the #1PP unit, that immediately increases his ice time by at least 2 full minutes. Usually the top rookies at least get some PP time, even if they otherwise play more sheltered minutes. Kakko and Lafreniere have had basically none of it, because there were better players and Quinn was trying to win games.

I've stated previously that I understood why they were not given #1PP time, but was pretty disappointed with how the #2PP almost never had a fair chance either. But maybe that will change with Gallant.

Reactions: brakeyawself

brakeyawself

Oct 5, 2006
They haven’t seen my offer

BRACCO!!

If we could get a guy like Zegras for NIls+ I’d do it in a heartbeats. But I doubt Zegras in particular would be gettable. Probably stand better chance with someone like Turcotte, Krebs, Perfetti or others . If their teams would I’m not sure. But would be worth moving Nils if so. Some of the few it would be worth it for. As good as Nils supposed to be, we don’t need a RD as much as equal value center.

Isles need a LD, wonder if they’d take Jones for Raty in some incarnation. Or like Tuomanen and a 3rd round pick lol.

Wouldn’t mind a guy who’s stagnating a bit either, like Logan Brown or Cody Glass if price was cheap enough. Lol, Tuomanen and a 3rd again.

Last edited:
Reactions: egelband

brakeyawself

Oct 5, 2006

Quinn really mismanaged the lines and team IMO. So much could theoretically be on him. I’m just glad he’s gone. I expect Gallant will spread minutes out more. Especially pp. And use of more consistent lines.

brakeyawself

Oct 5, 2006
The very same people replying loved DQ.

I have to say..I have a major league problem with people that don't know the difference between the regular season and the playoffs.
Personally, I judge players by what they do in the playoffs.
That's the difference between winners and losers in my mind so I don't really care if you break Gretzky's records during the regular season.
Myself along with any GM in the league feels the same.. Trust me on that one.
It's the very reason why Drury, a Stanley Cup winner has targeted the players he has.
They all have experience in the "Playoffs"!

It's not a knock on Fox but you going to pay this kid $10m a year based on the regular season alone??

If so, please let me sell you the Brooklyn bridge at a discount..

So how would you rate Lundqvist Sr.? He didn’t achieve a Cup. Does that mean he’s not the best Ranger goalie ever?

It’s a team sport. Sometimes one player is impacting enough to drag a team into the playoffs. But without complete team effort, unlikely that player can drag them to a Cup.

And I think that’s even more difficult for a D to achieve than say a center.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad