Speculation: Roster Building Thread - Part XXI

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
This is so cryptic.
no it's not. did you actually read his message? he's playing hockey. from what I gather he still wants to compete. Can he? we'll see.

It would honestly be an amazing story book ending to see him come back to the Rangers and win a cup.

Reactions: EdJovanovski

Rangers ftw

May 8, 2007
Kreider is a top 3 player in the world for about 9 periods a year, a top liner for 20-30 games, and a replacement level forward the rest of the time at even strength.

Lucky for us one of these years he will be the 10th best player on the team and that will be our window.
This is the best summary of Kreider I’ve read. One of the most overrated NYR players of this decade imo.

Reactions: mas0764 and Cag29

will1066

Oct 12, 2008
no it's not. did you actually read his message? he's playing hockey. from what I gather he still wants to compete. Can he? we'll see.

It would honestly be an amazing story book ending to see him come back to the Rangers and win a cup.
Yes, I did read it. My guess is as good as yours as to his intentions. He could be gearing up for SEL for all we know. No need to get snooty about whether I read.

EdJovanovski

#RempeForCalder
Apr 26, 2016
The Rempire State

I hope I'm not the only one who can literally bring myself to tears imagining this scenario. :laugh:

I Eat Crow

Fear The Mullet
Jul 9, 2007
Sorry but the Rangers need more players like Trouba, not less
I'm not disputing that.

The money to pay for Lafreniere, Kakko, and Chytil if they all continue to progress is going to have to come from somewhere. Getting rid of Kreider will not be enough.

Reactions: mas0764

Cag29

94! I’m ready for more! LGR!
Jul 18, 2018
Nils can't unless its in a package or for a prospect who ends up becoming one.

Trading Fox is an absurd idea.
Did you read the hypothetical post? The poster said what if Nils is as good as Fox. Who just won the Norris. We can’t pay bot 8+ mil per year.
So if we had to trade one we should land a 1c easily if they are both that good.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Did you read the hypothetical post? The poster said what if Nils is as good as Fox. Who just won the Norris. We can’t pay bot 8+ mil per year.
So if we had to trade one we should land a 1c easily if they are both that good.

If Nils Lundkvist wins a Norris in his 2nd season, he'd be the 3rd ever to do so. I am probably Nils Lundkvist's biggest fan but he is not going to be as good as Fox.

Reactions: mas0764 and Cag29

will1066

Oct 12, 2008
I'm not disputing that.

The money to pay for Lafreniere, Kakko, and Chytil if they all continue to progress is going to have to come from somewhere. Getting rid of Kreider will not be enough.

Let Strome walk or do a 1:1 for Names. The Stevie Y circle jerk will be complete.

Glen Sathers Cigar

Sather 4 Ever
Feb 4, 2013
New York
Having an established, respected NHL coach, along with an influx of hard nosed players SHOULD in theory up Kreider's compete level.
I don't even think it was Kreider's compete level. Something changed in his game where he started looking to peel off, to go east/west when he used to go north/south and he was looking to pass first. I think it was just him falling into the same over passing and east/west globetrotter style that the top 9 was falling deeper and deeper into under Quinn.

Gallant needs to come in and snap them out of it. A guy like Panarin will always play that way and that's what makes him special, but we can't have the other 8 guys in the top 9 also trying to play that way, too. Over the past 2 seasons it seemed like everyone - Strome, Mika, Buch and eventually Kreider, Kakko and even Blackwell - were all looking pass as their first 3 options and would often peel off on the sideboards and turn down scoring chances in an attempt to get some sort of alley-oop type play. The key is having everyone play more straight forward and then having a guy like Panarin be the exception. Like those Chicago teams with Kane. Their system was a north/south system with great forechecking and then Kane is dropped in and he's the X factor. We need Panarin as our X factor and not have our other forwards try and mimic how he plays.

I think he was trying to pass too much, being too cerebral. Could be related to feeling down under Quinn. Could be losing getting to him.

Who knows, hopefully he's back to himself next season.

Last edited:

Bruner4329

Apr 24, 2016
This is the best summary of Kreider I’ve read. One of the most overrated NYR players of this decade imo.
We are only into year 2 of this decade. Pretty pathethic analogy.

So let me get this straight. It is overkill to talk about our issues at center and fact that we really have not upgraded anything since this past season, but it is not over kill to keep talking about CK and his contract and people's perception of his play. Give it a rest. He aint going anywhere anytime soon. I would be more worried about getting dominated again by the better teams in our division and conference like we did this past year.

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
But isn't this what the letter actually promised for once? That we were going to make plans to build into a long term contender? Doesn't that imply that everything is going to have an eye on 5-10 years down the line?
Not really. They sold almost everything there was to sell as far as vets go. The goal was to get much younger with their core and restock elite young talent. Mission accomplished as far as that goes. That’s where winning kakko and LaF and fox being amazing so early was like a blessing and a curse to that letter.
It accelerated the rebuild by a year or so at least. Now all of a sudden, the team is plenty young, and super talented in an awfully lot of positions.
Besides center, their top 9 and top 4 are pretty much set for the next 5-6 years

Last edited:

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
But isn't this what the letter actually promised for once? That we were going to make plans to build into a long term contender? Doesn't that imply that everything is going to have an eye on 5-10 years down the line?

No.

They acquired 7-10 1st round picks in 3+ years. Lucked in to 1st and 2nd overall selections.

They rebuilt, now are the finishing touches

Reactions: THE BIG WHISTLE

Kocur Dill

picklicious
Feb 7, 2010
Just getting this hot take off my chest for the night.

Zibanejad isn't worth $10m per? Agreed.

Neither is Jack Eichel. Healthy or otherwise.

Buffalo over paid him. That's on them.

I dont for one minute value him over Zibanejad at that cap number, let alone, the cost of assets to aquire him.

Frankly, in my opinion they are the same tier of player, just slightly different flavors. Kind of like comparing French Vanilla to Vanilla Bean at the ice cream shoppe.

Gun to my head? I'm staying with the devil I know.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad