Speculation: Roster Building Thread - Part XXI

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
Trouba has atleast 3 more seasons here. Maybe then, when kids gets some experience, he'll be moved for cap purposes.

Kreider will be asked to waive before Trouba; if a player like Laf has elite seasons within the next 2 years.

Reactions: Fitzy

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
I’m curious where you stand on this off-season as a whole?

Seems like the first time in history I feel like we’re agreeing on a lot of things.

I have noticed we are on the same page about many things. That's good. People evolve and change.

I don't like anything(as usual)but this time it's worse. Chris Drury is a rookie GM and James Dolan/really Colonel Sanders put Drury in charge. He is negotiating trades and contracts. He has no experience negotiating trades and contracts. The other GM's and agents are looking to pick his pocket. Doug Armstrong already picked his pocket. Igor Sheterkin's agent picked his pocket.

Drury has been the President and GM for three months. He has made one major front office hire. John Lilley. Jeff Gorton was the Rangers cap guy when he was AGM and GM. Drury needs a cap guy. Drury needs to hire an assistant GM. Training camp begins six weeks from tomorrow. He needs to make other front office hires. The Rangers will need to find cheap players to keep the team competitive. Who does Drury talk to about a player or trade scenario? Who is his sounding board? Who gives him input and tells him stay away from this player? Slats? Glen has been been associated with the Rangers for 21 years. The Rangers have one championship in 81 years and Sather has been part of that drought for 1/4 of that time period. We could add the years he played for the Rangers.

The center ice position is in flux. Mika Zibanejad will be a free agent in 11 months. The Rangers don't know if Filip Chytil's best position is center. Chytil has been a Ranger player for a while. I heard Larry Brooks talking about this topic on a recent podcast with Mollie Walker. I heard Vince Mercgaliano talking about this topic on one of his podcasts. They need to figure out center ice.

The cap is a big issue. It will be a flat cap for the next 5 years. It's a different number every week. One day the number is 5. The next week the number is 3. The next day the number is 5 years again. I see people on this board saying the Rangers have to go for it in the next 3-4 years. My friends and family say the same thing. How? The Rangers answer is throwing money at the problem. We need grit. Give Goodrow 6 years and $3.6M. The Rangers don't have enough money to build their team.

Drury is responsible for wrapping up the rebuild/build and putting a Championship team on the ice. Good luck to us.

Please no Jack Eichel.

NYSPORTS

back afta dis. . .
Jun 17, 2019
Trouba has atleast 3 more seasons here. Maybe then, when kids gets some experience, he'll be moved for cap purposes.

Kreider will be asked to waive before Trouba; if a player like Laf has elite seasons within the next 2 years.

aren’t their trade clauses modified? My concern is the older they get the less they’ll want to move (kids in school, etc).

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
aren’t their trade clauses modified? My concern is the older they get the less they’ll want to move (kids in school, etc).

Kreider
2020-2024: Full NTC/NMC
2024-2027: 15-team NTC

Trouba
2019-2020: RFA year, not eligible for a clause
2020-2024: Full NTC/NMC
2024-2026: 12-team NTC

Reactions: NYSPORTS

Good Intentions

Mar 30, 2018

Projecting who will waive NTC years from now? This sort of projecting is useless, IMO. So much will change and shift this season, let alone 3 years from now. Enjoy the ride, can’t control it.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
"The Ranger have to go for it the next 3-4 years" is not an attitude I want from the front office.

Yes, we should try to win while Panarin is in his prime, sure. But at the end of that 5 year window, Fox will still be in his prime, and our new generation of kids (Laf, Kakko, Chytil, Miller, Lundkvist at al) will range in age from 24-26. That has the potential to still be a championship core even as Panarin, Zibby, Kreider age.

The way I see it and have said this frequently, there's two distinctive cores on this team. When the older one ages out the new one should be in full swing, so long as we don't go full stupid and trade all our young assets to try to win NOW

We aren't goo enough yet to be making Amonte trades, either.

rangers1314

May 9, 2007
Astoria, NY
I have noticed we are on the same page about many things. That's good. People evolve and change.

I don't like anything(as usual)but this time it's worse. Chris Drury is a rookie GM and James Dolan/really Colonel Sanders put Drury in charge. He is negotiating trades and contracts. He has no experience negotiating trades and contracts. The other GM's and agents are looking to pick his pocket. Doug Armstrong already picked his pocket. Igor Sheterkin's agent picked his pocket.

Drury has been the President and GM for three months. He has made one major front office hire. John Lilley. Jeff Gorton was the Rangers cap guy when he was AGM and GM. Drury needs a cap guy. Drury needs to hire an assistant GM. Training camp begins six weeks from tomorrow. He needs to make other front office hires. The Rangers will need to find cheap players to keep the team competitive. Who does Drury talk to about a player or trade scenario? Who is his sounding board? Who gives him input and tells him stay away from this player? Slats? Glen has been been associated with the Rangers for 21 years. The Rangers have one championship in 81 years and Sather has been part of that drought for 1/4 of that time period. We could add the years he played for the Rangers.

It's funny. A few weeks ago I brought up the topic that Drury hadn't made any legit FO hires and wondered if that would be an issue and was laughed at (not by you, but others).

We still don't have a AGM or a GM for the AHL. Both of these were Drurys previous roles, are we saying that they aren't important? In early May, Friedman wrote that interest around the league in working for Drury was high. What happened to that? They were in for Ryan Hardy but he choose to go work for Dubas & Toronto. Lilley has been here for 2 seconds. Has this just been the Drury & Grier show?

Last edited:
Reactions: Ola

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016
"The Ranger have to go for it the next 3-4 years" is not an attitude I want from the front office.

Yes, we should try to win while Panarin is in his prime, sure. But at the end of that 5 year window, Fox will still be in his prime, and our new generation of kids (Laf, Kakko, Chytil, Miller, Lundkvist at al) will range in age from 24-26. That has the potential to still be a championship core even as Panarin, Zibby, Kreider age.

The way I see it and have said this frequently, there's two distinctive cores on this team. When the older one ages out the new one should be in full swing, so long as we don't go full stupid and trade all our young assets to try to win NOW

We aren't goo enough yet to be making Amonte trades, either.

It has nothing to do with Panarin, we have to do it while we have guys like Lafreniere, Chytil, Kakko, on reasonable deals. It becomes harder when Lafreniere is making 10 mill, kakko 9, chytil 7 not to mention whoever is at center at 10 mill. Its at this time you are able to have cap space to add to guys like Lafreniere and Kakko, later on they are taking that. The Leafs imo missed their window and paid everyone for nothing.

Last edited:
Reactions: Hire Sather

Dr. Ogrodnick

Jan 10, 2007
Projecting who will waive NTC years from now? This sort of projecting is useless, IMO. So much will change and shift this season, let alone 3 years from now. Enjoy the ride, can’t control it.

Luckily as far as Trouba and Kreider are concerned, in 3 years they shift to limited NTCs, so they won't need to waive.

bigdog16

Nov 7, 2013
USA

The center ice position is in flux. Mika Zibanejad will be a free agent in 11 months. The Rangers don't know if Filip Chytil's best position is center. Chytil has been a Ranger player for a while. I heard Larry Brooks talking about this topic on a recent podcast with Mollie Walker. I heard Vince Mercgaliano talking about this topic on one of his podcasts. They need to figure out center ice.

The cap is a big issue. It will be a flat cap for the next 5 years. It's a different number every week. One day the number is 5. The next week the number is 3. The next day the number is 5 years again. I see people on this board saying the Rangers have to go for it in the next 3-4 years. My friends and family say the same thing. How? The Rangers answer is throwing money at the problem. We need grit. Give Goodrow 6 years and $3.6M. The Rangers don't have enough money to build their team.

Drury is responsible for wrapping up the rebuild/build and putting a Championship team on the ice. Good luck to us.

Please no Jack Eichel.

What? Where are there openings in our lineup for said cheap players right now

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016
Here's my proposal for Drury

Approach Zibanejad with a deal, 7x8.5/9, tell Zib theres a total no move clause for 2 years after that he gets a MNTC ,5 teams they can't trade him to, and explain somewhere in year 3 or 4 he will likely be moved. Explain to him if not he's probably not coming back to ny next year. This gets him a run and a chance at a cup with us, he gets his long term deal and allows us to trade for Eichel and have a dominant 1 and 1b center spot.

Bruner4329

Apr 24, 2016

Please no Jack Eichel.
This +100%. Finally an objective thought. We keep talking about another developmental year and needing another year to mature in order to compete. This won't happen until they address the center position. We have a number 1 that will cost us a bundle to resign, we have a number 2 that is limited in ability and we have a number 3 that some consider to be a "stud number 2" even though some of us are wondering if center is his best position. With these many open issues we will be stuck in neutral until resolved. The development of our youth is important but it will depend on the surrounding cast that is needed to help the progression.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
It has nothing to do with Panarin, we have to do it while we have guys like Lafreniere, Chytil, Kakko, on reasonable deals. It becomes harder when Lafreniere is making 10 mill, kakko 9, chytil 7 not to mention whoever is at center at 10 mill.

If you make the right deals and let go of the correct players, this isn't an issue.

Chicago won more cups while Keith, Toews, and Kane were being paid full price on big contracts. They just were strategic and intelligent about who they let go. Same with Pittsburgh around Crosby, Malkin, Letang and LA around Kopitar and Doughty.

We can win in BOTH windows. Kreider Trouba and maybe Panarin will be gone by the time Lafreniere and the others are on their largest deals/roles.

DialUp

Big Bauds
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2012
NYC

Please no Jack Eichel.
This is the NYR version of that climate change report that just came out. Paints a pretty damning fresco of what has gone on in the past 3 months, yet none of it is surprising.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
What? Where are there openings in our lineup for said cheap players right now

If I'm reading him right, I think he means not now but over the next half decade, and I agree.

Always have to look for Stralman/Prospal/Fedotenko reclamations and Hayes/Vesey college FAs.

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016
If you make the right deals and let go of the correct players, this isn't an issue.

Chicago won more cups while Keith, Toews, and Kane were being paid full price on big contracts. They just were strategic and intelligent about who they let go. Same with Pittsburgh around Crosby, Malkin, Letang and LA around Kopitar and Doughty.

We can win in BOTH windows. Kreider Trouba and maybe Panarin will be gone by the time Lafreniere and the others are on their largest deals/roles.

Yes you can win in both windows, it becomes harder every year though. Chicago won their cups before the 10 mill contracts i believe and Crosby,Malkin and Letang never ever got there to this day. Its totally different now. These kids get paid earlier and earlier now, kids are walking into 10 mill contracts as soon as they are rfa. I don't think i wanna look at L.A as an example as they were a couple goals away from losing the cup to us and havent been any good since because of their cap. If Lafreniere, Kakko, Fox, Shesterkin and Chytil end up eating 40 + mill in 3 years the window shrinks immediately. Kids are getting paid earlier.

Reactions: Fitzy

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
Yes you can win in both windows, it becomes harder every year though. Chicago won their cups before the 10 mill contracts i believe and Crosby,Malkin and Letang never ever got there to this day. Its totally different now. These kids get paid earlier and earlier now, kids are walking into 10 mill contracts as soon as they are rfa. I don't think i wanna look at L.A as an example as they were a couple goals away from losing the cup to us and havent been any good since because of their cap. If Lafreniere, Kakko, Fox, Shesterkin and Chytil end up eating 40 + mill in 3 years the window shrinks immediately. Kids are getting paid earlier.

I agree that kids are getting paid earlier, but the cap is also higher than it was during the Pitt and Chicago windows, so we'd have to look at this with a 'relative % of cap' to make good comparisons.

That kids are getting paid more earlier I think has downstream effects on the whole league. NYR aren't the only team that is going to have to deal with this issue.

So if we view 'competitiveness' as chances of winning a cup relative to the level of the opposition, other teams are going to have to deal with the same bullshit we are. Tampa Bay's depth is getting stripped down right now. That's the price of progress.

The key is gonna be taking advantage of those times we find ourselves in the third round and beyond. Because you're gonna pay for that progress, and it's a tremendous waste to not come away with a cup for your trouble there.

Reactions: JCProdigy

JimmyG89

May 1, 2010
Drury has done perfectly fine as GM so far. What kind of deal did people want for Shesterkin? Even Dancing Larry Brooks echoed my sentiment that if more years were added on that the cap hit would have gone north of 7M. Would you have preferred a 2 year deal to take him right into UFA? They could have been left hanging if he bolted for the most money by then.

The Buchnevich deal was bad. I will not hate on Blais since he cannot control what he was moved for. He's an effective player as a 3rd/4th line tweener. He is physical and can skate, also has an underrated shot. An extra 2nd next year isn't bad to have either.

Goodrow is not a bad player and he's not being paid a ton. We need a defensive identity up front. The last 4 years before Martin got the team defense in order this season was a red carpet right down the middle of the ice. Some of that was part of rebuilding, some youth, and some based on coaching and the system being used.

Ryan Reaves is also not going to cause the harm people expect. He's going to play 8-10 minutes max and will hit, fight, and chip in every now and then. Good in the room as a veteran. Will help with being a bridge from Gallant to the players.

Nemeth was a signing everyone liked. Good on the PK. Good partner for Nils to come up with. A safe player that can move up to the 2nd pair if needed. Allows the team to not force kids into that spot and lets them earn it. We don't need to see Hajek anymore.

Tinordi is a whatever for me. See above about not seeing Hajek anymore. He'll fight if they need him to and he's not a good player, but not a dumpster fire as we have had in recent years. Hunt is similar, but a little more interesting to me. Could be some untapped potential there and could be someone that surprises like Blackwell.

Didn't see an issue with the draft. Would have liked to not take a winger in the 1st round after doing that for three straight years, but a solid pick.

When Panarin signed, things were expedited. There are 5 years left on that deal. There is a 4-5 year window to win a cup and then a reset will likely be needed. Lafreniere is 24 by that time, Kakko 25. Fox would be 27. If the push to win isn't happening now, when is it? Could we have waited another year to begin that push? Hard to do that when your top guns are 28 and 29 up front. Did people want to continue selling off pieces in an effort to try and find another Zibanejad in a deal?

The time to go is now. The division is up in the air. Caps and Pens are aging. Isles are peaking. Canes are rising. The Flyers are something. The Jackets and Devils are at least 2 years from being able to compete. The window is now and we have to act as the contention window is wide open.

EdJovanovski

#RempeForCalder
Apr 26, 2016
The Rempire State
Drury has done perfectly fine as GM so far. What kind of deal did people want for Shesterkin? Even Dancing Larry Brooks echoed my sentiment that if more years were added on that the cap hit would have gone north of 7M. Would you have preferred a 2 year deal to take him right into UFA? They could have been left hanging if he bolted for the most money by then.

The Buchnevich deal was bad. I will not hate on Blais since he cannot control what he was moved for. He's an effective player as a 3rd/4th line tweener. He is physical and can skate, also has an underrated shot. An extra 2nd next year isn't bad to have either.

Goodrow is not a bad player and he's not being paid a ton. We need a defensive identity up front. The last 4 years before Martin got the team defense in order this season was a red carpet right down the middle of the ice. Some of that was part of rebuilding, some youth, and some based on coaching and the system being used.

Ryan Reaves is also not going to cause the harm people expect. He's going to play 8-10 minutes max and will hit, fight, and chip in every now and then. Good in the room as a veteran. Will help with being a bridge from Gallant to the players.

Nemeth was a signing everyone liked. Good on the PK. Good partner for Nils to come up with. A safe player that can move up to the 2nd pair if needed. Allows the team to not force kids into that spot and lets them earn it. We don't need to see Hajek anymore.

Tinordi is a whatever for me. See above about not seeing Hajek anymore. He'll fight if they need him to and he's not a good player, but not a dumpster fire as we have had in recent years. Hunt is similar, but a little more interesting to me. Could be some untapped potential there and could be someone that surprises like Blackwell.

Didn't see an issue with the draft. Would have liked to not take a winger in the 1st round after doing that for three straight years, but a solid pick.

When Panarin signed, things were expedited. There are 5 years left on that deal. There is a 4-5 year window to win a cup and then a reset will likely be needed. Lafreniere is 24 by that time, Kakko 25. Fox would be 27. If the push to win isn't happening now, when is it? Could we have waited another year to begin that push? Hard to do that when your top guns are 28 and 29 up front. Did people want to continue selling off pieces in an effort to try and find another Zibanejad in a deal?

The time to go is now. The division is up in the air. Caps and Pens are aging. Isles are peaking. Canes are rising. The Flyers are something. The Jackets and Devils are at least 2 years from being able to compete. The window is now and we have to act as the contention window is wide open.
I think you may be setting your expectations for Blais a little high. He was a regular healthy scratch, he is NOT a 3rd line player. He is a 4th liner/scratch. And he is not a good skater in any capacity, Reaves is a better skater than him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad