Speculation: Roster Building Thread: Part XLIV

Status
Not open for further replies.

LionsHeart

Mar 25, 2009
Queens, NY
we all long for a #1 center and then when we get one we want to trade him and not resign him LOL. agree it's wayy to far out and I shouldn't have even participated in the argument.

as for buch, i would lock him up somewhere 5/6 years if he comes in at $4M-$4.75M. Guys got talent, and even if he doesn't reach best case scenario, that's still a good looking deal. Question is is out of him/Kakko/Kravtsov... who is off RW and onto LW, all 3 will be top-6 talents.

What kills me is that Mika is still young, and on a really team friendly contract. He's going to be a huge help now and in the future.

It's like anybody that produces needs to be traded because we're all addicted to getting picks and prospects. You can't ice a team of 19 year olds and expect success short or long term. You're going to turn the team into the Oilers and ruin them and never stop rebuilding.

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
Ristolainen has a bad reputation on HF but he'd be a good target as buy low opportunity. Young player at a premium position who is on a very manageable deal with a short commitment if he doesn't evolve into what you'd hoped for.

if the bad reputation wasn't earned he wouldn't be available

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
to me it comes down to simply do you think Risto is a top pair guy? we've got depth, we don't need to go out of our way to acquire a good dman. we've got plenty of guys to fill the bottom 2 pairs and can easily sign guys to fill those roles. if i'm making a move right now to get a 24-26 year old its cause the guy either is or I believe has the potential to be a top pair guy

Reactions: wafflepadsave

JimmyG89

May 1, 2010
Risto needs to go somewhere where he won't be a team's #1 or #2. If he comes to the Rangers, where does he fall? Either #1 or #2. Let's just work with Fox and ADA. Let the Shattenkirk situation play itself out. I'd rather be in on Trouba than Risto. Trouba can play in his own zone at least.

If we make any more moves for the right side this year it should be to open more ice time up for Fox and ADA, not less. I'd be willing to move Shattenkirk out and get futures or prospects and sign a vet to a cheap deal that is more of a PK, #5 defender. Shatty is not that. That or see what is out there as a reclamation project. Andrej Sustr might be that kind of player. Especially with how valuable anyone who shoots right handed is for defense come the TDL.

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse
if it takes moving buchnevich to make this defense better, then hes a goner.

hes talented but time is running out on him being the impact player we thought he might become.

Reactions: Leetch3

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
Buchnevich is a top 6 winger that can score 40-50 points, what more do you want from him?

He was never going to be a superstar. If you thought he was, you don't know how to evaluate players.

I'm keeping him long term, find somewhere else to fill the defense need. It's not even a priority for me to fill that need right now because of the amount of players fighting for limited spots

Reactions: JCProdigy

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
if it takes moving buchnevich to make this defense better, then hes a goner.

hes talented but time is running out on him being the impact player we thought he might become.

he very likely could be used in a trade to fill a hole...but i don't think its cause he's running out of time at the old age of 24 but more cause he is good enough to have value but not so good that he is untouchable.

Reactions: haveandare and jas

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
You used Stepan as a "drastic" example of a decline in his late 20's. Not sure why you used that example if you weren't implying that it's a possibility for Panarin.

I used Stepan as an example of the type of player that Panarin is not. Read it again.

Ovechkin has scored 49 or more goals 5 times ages 28-33 while improving drastically defensively. I'm not sure what you're getting at - his best years have been these years.

Ah the ol' moving of the goal posts.

OV's best offensive seasons occured in his 20's. You can point to improved defensive play or what ever, he scored 60+ and won an art ross + hart at 22.

I'm not putting words in your mouth. You're saying he will likely decline from here on out. I've provided examples where elite players improved past age 27. I disagree with your entire premise that this is "likely". We don't have to agree on this. I understand your point of view but I don't think Panarin has peaked - particularly given the club he's played on. We'll see.

Except you were.

I never said that hes going to fall off of a cliff. History shows that guys of his caliber usually level off and then start to dip a bit before completely falling off if they don't call it quits first.

That doesn't mean that said player is a bad player once the dip happens, but I dunno, I don't exactly love the prospect of paying 11 million for a 65 point player.

FWIW, Panarin's peak year was probably 2017-18. His numbers were slightly up this year, but as someone mentioned league scoring was also up and the production of the guys around him was higher. Look at the gap between him and the guy who finished 2nd (I think it was Dubois) in 2017-18, it's almost Pavel Bure on the Panthers type ridiculous.

bobbop

Henrik & Pop
Sponsor
May 27, 2004
Now, Suburban Phoenix. Then, Long Island
Like I said Buch would need to bring back a surefire player, ie an overpayment. More skeptical to a draft pick (even #8 as that is a pipe dam). Not at all actively advocating trading him, just saying what it would take if he were dealt. I really like him as a player and have enjoyed watching his oozing potential since his WJC, foremost I would enjoy seeing him take the last step(s) in NYR blue.
There are players you are willing to trade and there are players you want to trade. There’s a lot that goes on that we are not privy to.

Teams know things we don’t. More importantly, teams know their own players better than other teams do. That’s why sometimes surprising trades fall out of the sky.

I’ve always watched Buchnevich and usually left wanting a little more. I thought he was turning a corner in the last six weeks of the season. We will find out what management thinks in the next few weeks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad