Roster Building Thread - Part XII (Season starts 10/9 @ 7:30 pm)

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
The Rangers are out on a limb if they do let Igor walk (as I mentioned in a post an hour ago lol), but part of me is relieved at the thought of not paying him. I mean, we just tried the high priced goalie thing with Henrik, who was an actual lights out playoff goalie.

I really like the structural framework of the youth on the roster and what they could do with Trouba/Panarin/Igor's future contracts off the books is pretty enticing. There's definitely a portion of me who would prefer to try it this way going forward.
Drury doesn’t have the have it in him to let him walk. He knows what he’s built will collapse if Igor leaves. And Igor knows it too.

That’s why he’s got Drury over a barrel.

Reactions: HatTrick Swayze

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
They were top of the league for the first half of the season when Igor was absolute dog shit. I don't by the narrative that they'd be lost without him.
They were in the 20th range for win percentage for nearly a 2 month span. They had a hot start that kept them in that top position when they hit wall. They obviously had success after that low point which got them the president trophy. I'm not for paying Igor that much, but unless we get a goalie that isn't currently in our system, there's going to be a big step back and fans will need to accept that.

Ruggs225

Oct 15, 2007
Long Island, NY
I would rather have a 1C and top goalie in the league through 2030 than not...
Mika is our 1c he is not a cup 1c.

He is not a barkov, crosby, mckinnon, bergeron, backstrom, toews .

He is not a play driver.

He is not a playmaker.

He is not good 5on 5.

He is the biggest flaw on this team. We need a true #1 elite center. Not someone who dissapears in the playoffs.

Glen Sathers Cigar

Sather 4 Ever
Feb 4, 2013
New York
Love Igor but I've been uneasy ever since the reports that him and his agent want to radically reset the goalie contract market. Anything he signs will be an albatross outlier, not a market reset. Look at all the other goalies in his range and what they're making. 11mx8 is already 15-25% higher than VERY comparable players have signed in the last 2 seasons. Igor is great but he's been decidedly average and ordinary for LARGE portions of his career to this point. Last year's playoff was great but we still lost in the ECF and during the regular season he was under .900 sv% as late as All Star weekend. He was carried by the team and Quick was better than him.

I was more okay with Lundqvist getting his big deals because he was so damn consistent with how good he was. Igor has a ceiling that is just as high, maybe even higher, but nowhere near the consistency which seems like the more important part when looking to sign a goaltender to an 8 year contract.

It just feels like his agent wants to have the biggest contract ever blah blah blah and I think they'll settle somewhere around 11.5 but he should be very careful with this. What team is giving Igor more than 88m? If he signs somewhere else that's 12.5m a year over 7 years, are we confident any other team in the league is giving him that?

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
They've already offered way more than I wanted to and will probably end up meeting his demands.

They're going to try and win the Cup with this exact team + different window dressing for the foreseeable future.

I don't think that's true. I think Trouba and Panarin at minimum are on extremely borrowed time.

Reactions: majordomo

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
Those advocating for trading Shesty, where's the market on that trade lol.

Drury should just take it easy and let him start the season without an extension. Puts ALL the pressure on Igor to perform. If he has another lights out year and the Rangers go deep, we will revisit the offer.

Machinehead

HFNYR MVP
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Hank brickwalled teams in Game 6s & 7s like it was his job, with a far less talented team than Igor has had.
The notion that Hank's teams were significantly less talented has some truth to it, and also a huge element of the league just being lower-scoring.

An old ass Zuccarello is almost a PPG player in Minnesota. Peak Rick Nash probably drops high-50's in this league.

Gluten Free Breadman

Mar 9, 2011
ny
Honestly have to consider trading him. 11x8 is very fair for him. Wish this Franchise would attract people who want to win. If bro wants to leave NYC for a couple million, let him. Goalies never fetch equal assets in return, I think Igor is one of the few a team would pay up for in a trade.

Is this what you guys want?

LokiDog

Get pucks deep. Get pucks to the net. And, uh…
Sep 13, 2018
Dallas
You gotta test the market and shop him. I don’t care how good he is. That cap hit would handcuff us atrociously. Send him to SJ for a package including Askarov and Eklund or something, they can pay him. We will not get over the hump if we give him that deal with the other contracts on our books and whatever Miller/Laf are going to get.

Realistically, I’m almost positive we cave in and give him roughly 12, maybe a touch less, but it will make it very difficult for me to get excited about those seasons as I just can’t see paying a goalie 12M and winning. Yea, Bob proved there are exceptions to that rule, but it still feels like it’s a 99/100 situation.

Harbour Dog

Jul 16, 2015
St. John's
Well, I guess this is going to turn into another 8 years of trying to build around a great goalie without having the same money to spend on skaters as every other team in the league.

It worked with Hank; we won {num_of_cups_won_since_2004} cups. May as well run the same strategy out again, maybe we'll even win {num_of_cups_won_since_2004} cups again!

Last edited:

MrAlmost

Beer league hero.
Jun 3, 2010
Trade this dude. I didn't even think the Rangers would offer 11. Thats crazy. He can make 12.5 for Utah.

Reactions: Ail

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad