Roster Building Thread - Part XII (Season starts 10/9 @ 7:30 pm)

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Igor has been reading his own press clippings. If he wants more than offered he needs to get a shutout once in a while and not give up a soft goal every game.

Reactions: Ail

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
there's nowhere to go with this team. the stars aren't good enough besides Fox and will just be another year older and worse. the supporting pieces are great. the cupboard is not promising even though i'm a big tire pumper for Othmann and Berard. we value heart and soul garbage like Lindgren and Trouba until they literally cost us games. i'd rather we just stopped fooling ourselves at this point, we're not good enough and there's no path in sight to being good enough.
We were 2 games away from the SCF (thanks to Igor). But you right, if we lose Igor what is the point. We won't be going anywhere.

Reactions: trueblue30nyr

Raspewtin

Stay at home defenseman hater
May 30, 2013
We were 2 games away from the SCF (thanks to Igor). But you right, if we lose Igor what is the point. We won't be going anywhere.
thanks to Igor is selling it very short. We're done in 5 against CAR without him. Florida laughed us off the ice and Igor pulling miracles couldn't save us. We were a fluke Wennberg goal away from an embarrassing exit.

mas0764

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 16, 2005
there's nowhere to go with this team. the stars aren't good enough besides Fox and will just be another year older and worse. the supporting pieces are great. the cupboard is not promising even though i'm a big tire pumper for Othmann and Berard. we value heart and soul garbage like Lindgren and Trouba until they literally cost us games. i'd rather we just stopped fooling ourselves at this point, we're not good enough and there's no path in sight to being good enough.

Not without another rebuild, or at least a substantial "re-tool." You are correct.

You can keep the young players (Lafreniere, Fox, Miller, etc), the prospects, and the value contracts. The older, expensive players need to be moved, and frankly, even the good deal older players (Kreider... maybe Trocheck?) too, because by time you're ready in 2-3 more years their value is gone.

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016
Heres the crazy part to me. The most term another team can give is 7 years. So hes banking on that he’ll be able to get $13 aav over 7 years for $91 mill total. He aint leaving here for $3mm more. Hold firm on the offer and if he has a down year, lower the offer
He's banking on us either signing him or sign and trading him so that another team can give him the 8th year.

Raspewtin

May 30, 2013
Not without another rebuild, or at least a substantial "re-tool." You are correct.

You can keep the young players (Lafreniere, Fox, Miller, etc), the prospects, and the value contracts. The older, expensive players need to be moved, and frankly, even the good deal older players (Kreider... maybe Trocheck?) too, because by time you're ready in 2-3 more years their value is gone.
I'm taking Miller off that list unless he has a huge year tbh

he's a taller Rangers version of Skjei and I do not mean that kindly

Ruggs225

Oct 15, 2007
Long Island, NY
Even with him we arent going anywhere.

This core is not good enough.

We have no #1 C

Panarin, Zib and Kreider all dissappeared in ECF.

Shesty cant fix that.

Relying on a goalie to steal a series is not a good strategy.

mas0764

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 16, 2005
Everyone already has their starting goaltender. I'm sure there are teams who would love an upgrade, but they might also be on his no trade list. Beyond that, any team that trades for him will do so with the expectation of re-signing him. Which team will be willing to give him 12 mil?

Maybe one of Seattle or Anaheim would be an option, but we'd be taking back Grubauer or Gibson in those scenarios, and Anaheim would likely be on Shesty's list in any case. Are our chances really better with Grubauer or Gibson and whatever cap savings they provide us? Certainly not this year, as both make more than Shesty currently. Going forward, probably not either.

The cap should continue to go up and Panarin, Trouba and Kreider, who make a combined 26.1 mil, will either be re-signed or replaced for less than they make now.

I don't want to pay Shesty 12 mil either. I don't want to pay him 11 mil. But thus far, no one has come up with a better solution.

Letting him walk is a better solution.

Reactions: Galvatron and CLW

Pawnee Rangers

Jan 10, 2019
If the rationale for keeping Igor is, he’s the only reason this team makes the playoffs, then that explains everything does it not? Clearly the team in front of him is not good enough and locking him up at double his cap hit probably won’t help.
They were top of the league for the first half of the season when Igor was absolute dog shit. I don't by the narrative that they'd be lost without him.

RangersFan

Feb 27, 2002
NY, NY
Honestly have to consider trading him. 11x8 is very fair for him. Wish this Franchise would attract people who want to win. If bro wants to leave NYC for a couple million, let him. Goalies never fetch equal assets in return, I think Igor is one of the few a team would pay up for in a trade.

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
The Rangers are out on a limb if they do let Igor walk (as I mentioned in a post an hour ago lol), but part of me is relieved at the thought of not paying him. I mean, we just tried the high priced goalie thing with Henrik, who was an actual lights out playoff goalie.

I really like the structural framework of the youth on the roster and what they could do with Trouba/Panarin/Igor's future contracts off the books is pretty enticing. There's definitely a portion of me who would prefer to try it this way going forward.

Reactions: cheech70

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
Panarin who was an MVP level player during the regular season and Kreider who is one of the few rangers who is underpaid. Sure replacing Trouba wouldn’t be too difficult but it’s not like those guys coming off the books is gonna make the team better.
Panarin was MVP level in the regular season last year, but not so the 2 years before, and has never been that in the playoffs. Kreider is great at what he does, but he'll be 36 when his contract ends. Who knows if he'll even still be productive then. Replacing either of them might be a necessity just based on age and production.

• Love
Reactions: leetch99

Machinehead

HFNYR MVP
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
The Rangers are out on a limb if they do let Igor walk (as I mentioned in a post an hour ago lol), but part of me is relieved at the thought of not paying him. I mean, we just tried the high priced goalie thing with Henrik, who was an actual lights out playoff goalie.

I really like the structural framework of the youth on the roster and what they could do with Trouba/Panarin/Igor's future contracts off the books is pretty enticing. There's definitely a portion of me who would prefer to try it this way going forward.
They've already offered way more than I wanted to and will probably end up meeting his demands.

They're going to try and win the Cup with this exact team + different window dressing for the foreseeable future.

bhamill

Sponsor
Apr 16, 2012
I think Igor is the best goalie in the league. That being said, let him walk to UFA if he won't sign for under 12m. The only way another team pays him that much is if he almost single handedly wins us the Cup this year, and at that point we are the only team that can match AND offer an 8th year... if we want. If he doesn't sign at that point, or we decided not to sign him, at least we won a Cup, retool from there.

Reactions: DanishRanger

Raspewtin

May 30, 2013

this is a weird comment. Igor's stats in the playoffs are better than Hank's in a much higher scoring NHL.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad