Roster Building Thread - Part XII (Season starts 10/9 @ 7:30 pm)

DanielBrassard

It's all so tiresome
May 6, 2014
PA from SI
I would rather start a new rebuild than be stuck paying Mika & Igor a combined 20+ through at minimum 2029-30 with 0 way out
Personally I think this team as currently constructed has reached its ceiling so hard to disagree. Being locked in to those two guys throughout their 30s as a significant portion of the cap means it’s going to be difficult to put out a truly competitive team

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016
Regarding Igor, i love him and i think hes top 3 goalie in the league but 11 mill a year is really generous. Tell him to go get an offersheet, he'll never get one for the money he wants. I'm tired of selfish players who wanna handcuff the organization for their own benefit. Make a package for Merzlikins and Fantilli and go from there.

Machinehead

HFNYR MVP
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Also laughing at people getting bent out of shape over this number. He’s probably looking for 12 million per, either they settle on 11.5 or Drury goes to 12.

It’s not like there is a huge gap between between what he wants and what they are offering. We’re talking about a million dollars, it’s nothing when you get to this level.
It pops the bubble of the people lying to themselves that he was getting 8.8.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
Should've signed him longer term on his last contract, I remember saying this when most people thought we gave him too much lol. I would gladly give him 12.5M though, replace him with an average goalie and we're missing the playoffs.
The Rangers didn't have the cap space for a longer deal. The Rangers never have enough cap space.

Raspewtin

Stay at home defenseman hater
May 30, 2013
Should've signed him longer term on his last contract, I remember saying this when most people thought we gave him too much lol. I would gladly give him 12.5M though, replace him with an average goalie and we're missing the playoffs.
and keep him and our absolute ceiling remains a non-competitive 3rd round.

whoop de doo.

Mike in Houston

Apr 20, 2015
Houston, TX
Igor to Drury.

564c5707-ef38-48dc-a620-1c58441fc282_text.gif

Reactions: Ail

Circus86

Sep 12, 2020
8x11 is a fair offer. Heck look at what Saros and Hellebuyck signed for. Obviously Igor deserves more than that but I wouldn't go over 11.

Reactions: Ruggs225

Raspewtin

Stay at home defenseman hater
May 30, 2013
there's nowhere to go with this team. the stars aren't good enough besides Fox and will just be another year older and worse. the supporting pieces are great. the cupboard is not promising even though i'm a big tire pumper for Othmann and Berard. we value heart and soul garbage like Lindgren and Trouba until they literally cost us games. i'd rather we just stopped fooling ourselves at this point, we're not good enough and there's no path in sight to being good enough.

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
Heres the crazy part to me. The most term another team can give is 7 years. So hes banking on that he’ll be able to get $13 aav over 7 years for $91 mill total. He aint leaving here for $3mm more. Hold firm on the offer and if he has a down year, lower the offer

Totally agree. Let him bet on himself. I personally think these players are barking up the wrong tree leaning into this "last chance" narrative. The constant since theyve been here is that they dont play their best when the pressure is on.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
He's only making 5 and a half, if you take back an expiring deal I'm sure most of the other 20 teams can afford him.
Everyone already has their starting goaltender. I'm sure there are teams who would love an upgrade, but they might also be on his no trade list. Beyond that, any team that trades for him will do so with the expectation of re-signing him. Which team will be willing to give him 12 mil?

Maybe one of Seattle or Anaheim would be an option, but we'd be taking back Grubauer or Gibson in those scenarios, and Anaheim would likely be on Shesty's list in any case. Are our chances really better with Grubauer or Gibson and whatever cap savings they provide us? Certainly not this year, as both make more than Shesty currently. Going forward, probably not either.

The cap should continue to go up and Panarin, Trouba and Kreider, who make a combined 26.1 mil, will either be re-signed or replaced for less than they make now.

I don't want to pay Shesty 12 mil either. I don't want to pay him 11 mil. But thus far, no one has come up with a better solution.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
Regarding Igor, i love him and i think hes top 3 goalie in the league but 11 mill a year is really generous. Tell him to go get an offersheet, he'll never get one for the money he wants. I'm tired of selfish players who wanna handcuff the organization for their own benefit. Make a package for Merzlikins and Fantilli and go from there.
You can be very sure they will be on his 10 team no trade list.

But I guess he could pull a Trouba and leak out that he won't report anywhere either.

mas0764

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 16, 2005
I would rather start a new rebuild than be stuck paying Mika & Igor a combined 20+ through at minimum 2029-30 with 0 way out

BUT HOW CAN WE THROW AWAY THIS SEASON (in which we have no real chance that's any greater than the last three to win it all)

DanielBrassard

It's all so tiresome
May 6, 2014
PA from SI
Everyone already has their starting goaltender. I'm sure there are teams who would love an upgrade, but they might also be on his no trade list. Beyond that, any team that trades for him will do so with the expectation of re-signing him. Which team will be willing to give him 12 mil?

Maybe one of Seattle or Anaheim would be an option, but we'd be taking back Grubauer or Gibson in those scenarios, and Anaheim would likely be on Shesty's list in any case. Are our chances really better with Grubauer or Gibson and whatever cap savings they provide us? Certainly not this year, as both make more than Shesty currently. Going forward, probably not either.

The cap should continue to go up and Panarin, Trouba and Kreider, who make a combined 26.1 mil, will either be re-signed or replaced for less than they make now.

I don't want to pay Shesty 12 mil either. I don't want to pay him 11 mil. But thus far, no one has come up with a better solution.
Panarin who was an MVP level player during the regular season and Kreider who is one of the few rangers who is underpaid. Sure replacing Trouba wouldn’t be too difficult but it’s not like those guys coming off the books is gonna make the team better.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
Also laughing at people getting bent out of shape over this number. He’s probably looking for 12 million per, either they settle on 11.5 or Drury goes to 12.

It’s not like there is a huge gap between between what he wants and what they are offering. We’re talking about a million dollars, it’s nothing when you get to this level.
But how close they are is irrelevant to the point of Igor taking up that cap space for 8 years. Like 11 or 11.5, the issue isn't the 500k. I don't think anybody realistically thought under 10 and if they did, they've been under a rock for a while.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad