Player Discussion Nikita Zadorov

Kegs

Nov 10, 2010
I did before he was a bruin. I didn’t actually think they’d sign him
Me too.
It's not the percentage allotted to the defense over all, it’s that they're paying their bottom pairing of Peeke and Zad $7.75 mill per as a cap hit. That's insane when you look at the fact that their top 6 looks like Swiss cheese. That nearly 8 mill could have and should have been used on an impact player instead of bottom pairing stiffs, who by the nature of their roles, should be low cost players. Paying them that while leaving massive holes at the top of the roster is why this team is in cap trouble.
i disagree. I think the bruins defence looks scary good this season. Other teams will fear the corners.

Hookslide

Nov 19, 2018
I would agree. I was really impressed with how good he's looked. Looks really calm, and making very smart plays.
He has looked good, and makes believe that I have been right that injuries have affected his play.

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO
No, because I feel like the Zadorov signing was a mistake and misguided. He’s a luxury to have if you don’t have glaring holes elsewhere.

And that’s a great counterpoint to my concern about over paying the third pairing.
Yeah someone pointed it out to me, I was thinking the same thing as you (shocking I know :sarcasm:)

Reactions: hrdpuk

Oates2Neely

Jan 19, 2010
Massachusetts
No, because I feel like the Zadorov signing was a mistake and misguided. He’s a luxury to have if you don’t have glaring holes elsewhere.

And that’s a great counterpoint to my concern about over paying the third pairing.
Kevan Miller’s cap hit was 2.5m 8 years ago when he signed and he was (mostly) beloved here. I’m curious what % of the cap 2.5 was back then in 2016. Without spending too much time looking it up I’d assume Zadarov’s % is just slightly higher? We were (mostly) all onboard with Miller in a 3rd pairing role as a shït stirrer. But here some use Zadarov as the poster boy for why Boston will suck this season. Then again I’m not a math wiz

Raleighfern

Apr 7, 2017
Kevan Miller’s cap hit was 2.5m 8 years ago when he signed and he was (mostly) beloved here. I’m curious what % of the cap 2.5 was back then in 2016. Without spending too much time looking it up I’d assume Zadarov’s % is just slightly higher? We were (mostly) all onboard with Miller in a 3rd pairing role as a shït stirrer. But here some use Zadarov as the poster boy for why Boston will suck this season. Then again I’m not a math wiz
kevin miller 2016 3.42%
Zadorov 2024 5.68%

Reactions: Oates2Neely

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011

Zadarov's $5 million in an $88m cap (5.68%) is considerably more than what Miller's $2.5 took out of the 2016 cap ( 3.42% of $73 million).

BlackFrancis

Athletic Supporter Patch Partner
Dec 14, 2013
We shouldn't take Miller's hit in isolation, at least early on. He and McQuaid each earned $2.5m, which means one would usually be playing while the other was on IR.

I always saw them as one $5m bottom pairing defenseman.

Reactions: Oates2Neely

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011
So 2.26% more? Oh well there goes the season

Not what I said. Personally, I'm very happy they signed him, he's something they've been missing for a long time. But objectively, he's not the same cap hit as Miller.

neelynugs

Feb 27, 2002
as someone thirsty for the blood of any habs and leafs, i cannot wait until ZADDY destroys any of them (or anyone, really). entertain me :D

bb_fan

Feb 27, 2002
boston
Visit site
Zadarov's $5 million in an $88m cap (5.68%) is considerably more than what Miller's $2.5 took out of the 2016 cap ( 3.42% of $73 million).
I'd hardly call that considerable, and as everyone keeps telling me with Swaymans deal, the cap is only going up.

Bruins had a glaring need for physicality and filled it.

whether he's on the third pair or second, he fits what they needed.

Mr. Make-Believe

The happy genius of my household
I think what @PlayMakers may be referring to in his question is that the Bruins said publicly from the time of Zadorov’s signing that they were going to try him on MacAvoy’s left side. And before the regular season starts its first game, Zadorov is on the third. That there is an apparent disconnect between what they thought they were getting and what they’ve observed over training camp.

We don’t know for sure (it’s only game one and who knows even what will happen by the second period) but it’s something.

Personally I never thought Zadorov was a top pair guy anyway… and I’ve been an advocate of acquiring him for years now. He’s likely to see time with everyone, but even if he’s third pair through Game 82, I think he will contribute in ways where the number of his pairing will be inconsequential. He’s gonna make everyone around him bigger, he’s going to surprise at key moments, and he’s going to be a massive addition to the locker room. Is $5M/yr too much? Sure. But it’s too much well-spent IMO.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad