Roster Building Thread - Part XI (Off-season edition)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
Trouba and his partner have decided that their jobs are of equal consequence/weight, or at least that's what he's on record as saying.

Which is very sweet, but not reporting would be more along the lines of "My partner's job is more important," especially since he's probably earning roughly 15x her salary.

Reactions: EdJovanovski

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016
No no, my dude. He has a LIMITED NTC. It's the threat that he won't report to his new team.
The person with the most blame is the person who leaked it to big mouth Larry before he submitted his trade list. There's a good chance that Detroit might have been left off his list otherwise imo.

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
This has to be the most ho-hum Rangers offseason in forever.
It's Drury's personality. Haha.

But for those of you younger fans who started following either post-2004-05 lockout or even before the mid-90s, this offseason is a lot like how hockey was in the 1980s or 1990s. You'd have big trades of course, but there was a good chance your team was going to come back with 80-90% retention. Rebuilds would take 4-5 years.

Barnaby

Jul 2, 2003
Port Jefferson, NY
I don’t really see the comparison to Brian Boyle outside of being tall considering Boyle was a first round pick and top 10 scorer in the nation two years in a row in college. He also was 10th in goals in his rookie year in the AHL. We’re not exactly talking about two guys with a similar pedigree and history of success at lower levels.
I think the comparison is the translation into the NHL being a very large bodied player with clear stating issues. It took Boyle awhile to translate which is why the Rangers picked him up cheap. Rempe is a guy that I do think will improve in that regard as well. I think it’s fair to expect it to take longer for guys at that size filling out. They aren’t going to be water bugs out there.

I agree with your words on draft pedigree being different. Being a 1st rounder, Boyle was expected to score and did at times during his career. Rempe was not expected to do so and probably won’t. Although I think he can pop a few in just being big and being in the dirty areas. The comparison is in the size and skating. Not that they are identical players.

Profet

Longtime lurker
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2002
NY
shop.profetkeyboards.com
It's Drury's personality. Haha.

But for those of you younger fans who started following either post-2004-05 lockout or even before the mid-90s, this offseason is a lot like how hockey was in the 1980s or 1990s. You'd have big trades of course, but there was a good chance your team was going to come back with 80-90% retention. Rebuilds would take 4-5 years.
80's I was a bit young...

But I remember the 90's offseasons...

Attempting to trade for Lindros
Trading for Messier
Signing Gretzky
Signing Sakic
Signing Skrudland and Keane
Trading Zubov and Nedved
Trading for Lafontaine
Trading Kovalev for Nedved

I'm sure I'm missing some too.

I definitely don't remember the 90's offseasons being ho-hum.

Last edited:

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
I think Rempe's skating is about on par with Boyle's when Boyle was just breaking in, and Rempe is probably faster at the top end. Boyle probably better on the edges. Thing is Boyle made massive strides. That's not really common, though, to see a guy improve his skating that much. Big guy, small guy, whatever. There's always room to improve on the margins but it's rare to see such a big leap.

will1066

Oct 12, 2008
I think amid all the animosity between the club and Trouba, he is highly motivated and has a bounce back year. Business is business and once the season starts, the focus goes back to on the ice. He's still respected in the room as the captain. Every player in the room knows the business side is just business.

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
80's I was a bit young...

But I remember the 90's offseasons...

Attempting to trade for Lindros
Trading for Messier
Signing Gretzky
Signing Sakic
Signing Skrudland and Keane
Trading Zubov and Nedved
Trading for Lafontaine
Trading Kovalev for Nedved

I'm sure I'm missing some too.

I definitely don't remember the 90's offseasons being ho-hum.
Messier trade happened in October 1991 one game into the season (Adam Graves wearing #11 on the Pro Set Hockey Card Series and for the opener in Boston).

I mentioned mid-90s above and everything except the Lindros attempt (summer of 1992....thank you Larry Bertuzzi for not causing the Rangers to trade half their team) was 1995 or later. The game changed and UFA became much bigger after the 1994-95 lockout shortened season.

There was one summer they brought in Ray Sheppard and Mark Hardy (1990), and another they let Kissio get taken in the expansion draft and traded Brian Mullen for Tim Kerr (1991). Phil Bourque was the big acquisition in 1992 along with Mike Hurlbut. Mostly window dressing and nothing material.

Esposito's wacky stuff was mostly during the season (the Poddubny for Allison deal was the exception but a trade, not UFA), and Patrick was Mr. Training Camp trade with the exception of the Duguay to Detroit which was in June.

Clark Kellogg

NYU Film Student
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2013
Vermont, USA
@Machinehead When you meet with your fellow Mods at the next Loyal Order of Water Buffaloes Jamboree would it be possible to get two different laugh emojis.
One to signify we’re laughing with the poster and one to say that we’re laughing at the absurdity of the post.
It’s getting harder to tell the difference the later we get into this offseason what people are trying to convey?

80shockeywasbuns

Feb 12, 2022
People gotta stop making the trouba shit personal. It’s making him sympathetic and taking the focus away from his abominable play. Then you’re gonna have the Trouba Truthers tryna group legit criticism in with the unhinged attacks on his character

Profet

Longtime lurker
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2002
NY
shop.profetkeyboards.com
@Machinehead When you meet with your fellow Mods at the next Loyal Order of Water Buffaloes Jamboree would it be possible to get two different laugh emojis.
One to signify we’re laughing with the poster and one to say that we’re laughing at the absurdity of the post.
It’s getting harder to tell the difference the later we get into this offseason what people are trying to convey?
Or just remove the laugh Emoji? Like is enough. Laugh Emoji is just troll point bait.

Feel Shame

May 8, 2024
He doesn’t have nhl level stick handling or passing.
I didn’t see any shot that looked remotely dangerous.

He can skate fast but out of control, he can hit but has to adjust to his body because he’s moving too fast and isn’t in control…
He can’t stop fast and change direction, which is a lot of nhl skating.
He has to do better at stick checks. He’s 6’7 but somehow can’t stick.
Safe to say that if he were to improve on just two of these attributes it would be the start of a unique 4th line player that can disrupt any team they play against then?

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
The only issue I have with Drury, and it may have taken place, is that I think he should have started to lay the ground work with letting Trouba know he was on the move at least 7-10 days before asking for his list.

From what I gather, Trouba was shocked about the possibility of a move. Had he had more time to digest, he may 100% have made the same decision he made, but it wouldn't have been as much of an issue and it probably would not have gotten into the public sphere.

He has protections given to him by the team. He used those protections as is his right just as much as the Rangers used their leverage in jettisoning Goodrow.

The game of Hockey is beautiful. The business side can be a lot more challenging.

Neither side here is wrong.

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
Trouba and his partner have decided that their jobs are of equal consequence/weight, or at least that's what he's on record as saying.

Which is very sweet, but not reporting would be more along the lines of "My partner's job is more important," especially since he's probably earning roughly 15x her salary.

Considering she's in the medical field training to be a surgeon, her job IS MORE IMPORTANT.

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
I think amid all the animosity between the club and Trouba, he is highly motivated and has a bounce back year. Business is business and once the season starts, the focus goes back to on the ice. He's still respected in the room as the captain. Every player in the room knows the business side is just business.

I don't see any animosity here at all.

I see two entities making prudent business decisions for themselves that are not in the other parties best interests.

That's not animosity, that's just called a disagreement.

Rongomania

Dec 31, 2017
Inwood
In a perfect world

Mika gets back to form
Kakko takes a jump
Trouba rebounds and helps Jones be a solid 3rd pair.
Smith gets back to his vegas days
Othmann or Berard come in and have solid years.

All that and we get a cup, it's a lot though lol

That’s not a ton to ask for honestly and I completely agree that is what it will take.

Also, something I see as a lock which will help is: Schneider and Miller taking some steps.

A healthy Fox through a playoff run will do wonders as well. Laf growing even more too.

F*ckin’ ready to roll.

Last edited:

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
I think the comparison is the translation into the NHL being a very large bodied player with clear stating issues. It took Boyle awhile to translate which is why the Rangers picked him up cheap. Rempe is a guy that I do think will improve in that regard as well. I think it’s fair to expect it to take longer for guys at that size filling out. They aren’t going to be water bugs out there.

I agree with your words on draft pedigree being different. Being a 1st rounder, Boyle was expected to score and did at times during his career. Rempe was not expected to do so and probably won’t. Although I think he can pop a few in just being big and being in the dirty areas. The comparison is in the size and skating. Not that they are identical players.
Boyle didn't figure it out. Boyle worked with a world class figure skater, just like Pavelski did to improve his horrendous skating. Now we don't know what Rempe is doing so it's not fair to say he'll never improve his skating, but Boyle wouldn't have still been on NYR if he didn't work with the figure skater.

Reactions: bernmeister

IDvsEGO

Oct 11, 2016
Safe to say that if he were to improve on just two of these attributes it would be the start of a unique 4th line player that can disrupt any team they play against then?
If by improve you mean be an nhl player? Then yes.
But I also don’t want to turn into the islanders…

alkurtz

Nov 26, 2006
Charlotte, NC
No, the key word is training. Regardless, Trouba is making 8+ million, his job is clearly more important.
Her job is lifelong, his is fleeting. In the great order of things, there is no comparison. Her job is infinitely more important. 30 years from now, she may be able to recount how many lives she has saved, and how many people she has helped. Trouba will be a memory for longtime Ranger fans, younger ones will recall him, if they remember him at all, as some player "older" fans talk about and that he was once Ranger captain.

I am a lifelong, hardcore sports fan, but please, how can you equate an athlete with a doctor? The amount of money he makes is irrelevant. I don't begrudge athletes, movie stars, or musicians making an enormous amount of money; they make what our society says they are worth. So many people who are the basis of our society are underpaid: teachers, firefighters, police officers, etc. Observing the Troubas from a distance has been a pleasure. They are a fine example for all of us. This has nothing to do with Trouba's play and any criticism I might have about him on ice. Kudos to Trouba for being a fine husband in a marriage that seems like a true partnership.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
In a perfect world

Mika gets back to form
Kakko takes a jump
Trouba rebounds and helps Jones be a solid 3rd pair.
Smith gets back to his vegas days
Othmann or Berard come in and have solid years.

All that and we get a cup, it's a lot though lol
I don’t think these should be defined as “a lot to ask” (maybe the last one). But if you’re to combine these with expectations for Trocheck and Panarin to produce another career year, for Chytil to stay healthy and for Quick to have another Quick-of-young quality season. IMO these have more uncertainty built in.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
I think Rempe's skating is about on par with Boyle's when Boyle was just breaking in, and Rempe is probably faster at the top end. Boyle probably better on the edges. Thing is Boyle made massive strides. That's not really common, though, to see a guy improve his skating that much. Big guy, small guy, whatever. There's always room to improve on the margins but it's rare to see such a big leap.
In general I agree but the starting point is important. For most coming-up players their skating at this point have been addressed so as you said any improvements would be largely marginal. The starting point for big guys like Chara, Boyle and Rempe is behind the general curve so the room for improvement is also bigger, sorry for the pun.

Reactions: EdJovanovski
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad