Roster Building Thread - Part XI (Off-season edition)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Machinehead

HFNYR MVP
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
How is buying someone out a circumvention? It's just as within the team's rights as exercising a NTC is within a player's rights. NYR would NOT have bought him out anyway, too much dead cap space going forward and no return. Plus they wouldn't want him just signing with NJD or NYI...
Also we waived Goodrow, we didn't buy him out. And that wasn't circumvention either. NYR received no considerations for waiving him.
But we agree that Trouba was within his rights.
I meant waiving, I misspoke.

majordomo

Oct 29, 2023
NYC
How is buying someone out a circumvention? It's just as within the team's rights as exercising a NTC is within a player's rights. NYR would NOT have bought him out anyway, too much dead cap space going forward and no return. Plus they wouldn't want him just signing with NJD or NYI...
Also we waived Goodrow, we didn't buy him out. And that wasn't circumvention either. NYR received no considerations for waiving him.
But we agree that Trouba was within his rights.
Rangers really made things worse when they requested his 15-team list early.

Reactions: Clark Kellogg

bhamill

Sponsor
Apr 16, 2012
I meant waiving, I misspoke.
fair enough. and they COULD have waived him on July 1st I believe. Still, if no compensation is received, that is just acting within their rights...
I think NYR had a very specific thing they wanted to do on July 1st, and that's that.

Machinehead

HFNYR MVP
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
They did, but for f***’s sake, how is the contract not written such that the list is due a week or two before FA opens so that you can, you know, make a plan?
Trouba's contract had a NMC which transitioned to a limited NTC on 7/1. In the case of contracts transitioning on 7/1, the player is under no obligation to submit his list until 7/13. The NHLPA negotiated this for obvious reasons. It's standardized in the CBA and cannot be put in the language of the contract.

Hire Sather

He Is Our Star
Oct 4, 2002
Connecticut
The team is not in the right. They f***ing gave him a NTC. They agreed to it. He used it.

The team f***ed over the team by signing that contract.

I hate Trouba as a player but he did nothing wrong on the business side.

He turned a limited NTC to a full NMC by leaking to the league that he won't report if traded.

Don't see how he's not in the wrong.

majordomo

Oct 29, 2023
NYC
They did, but for f***’s sake, how is the contract not written such that the list is due a week or two before FA opens so that you can, you know, make a plan?
If I'm not mistaken, that "list reveal" rule is covered by the CBA -- not the contract.

IDvsEGO

Oct 11, 2016
I get the feeling that the current "deadline" will be a topic of discussion in the negotiations for the next CBA.
Why? Owners won’t give up anything real to move it, and the players are fine with it.
Topics of discussion will almost entirely be
Travel schedule and revenue sharing.

Synergy27

F-A-C-G-C-E
Apr 27, 2004
Washington, D.C.
Trouba's contract had a NMC which transitioned to a limited NTC on 7/1. In the case of contracts transitioning on 7/1, the player is under no obligation to submit his list until 7/13. The NHLPA negotiated this for obvious reasons. It's standardized in the CBA and cannot be put in the language of the contract.
Word. That’s far more consequential than it seems on the surface. Very surprised that’s codified like that. Makes these clauses even more powerful.

majordomo

Oct 29, 2023
NYC
I thought the lists had to be submitted by July 1st (coinciding with beginning of FA period).

80shockeywasbuns

Feb 12, 2022
I kept waiting for a punctuation mark... and then it was over.
1724358570002.gif

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
Has there actually been like a legit, respectable report on the fact that Trouba would've been traded "anywhere", but wasn't because his agent spread the word that he wouldn't report? Because from what I've understood is, the Rangers wanted to trade him to the Red Wings, and nothing else was even discussed. Trouba vetoed that, as is his right with his limited NTC. End of story.

Machinehead

HFNYR MVP
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Has there actually been like a legit, respectable report on the fact that Trouba would've been traded "anywhere", but wasn't because his agent spread the word that he wouldn't report? Because from what I've understood is, the Rangers wanted to trade him to the Red Wings, and nothing else was even discussed. Trouba vetoed that, as is his right with his limited NTC. End of story.
There's nothing concrete on it, and it would be very stupid. He's giving away $8m by not reporting.

haohmaru

boomshakalaka
Aug 26, 2009
Fleming Island, Fl

No, and if anything, the reports that have surfaced say nothing was really close. I think it's more along the lines of preliminary talks with the Wings, "hey, Jacob, give us your no trade list" which put the kibosh on the talks with the Wings and down the toilet it all went.

Still, it's going to be awkward because there was certainly some talks entertained and Trouba knows the Rangers were okay with moving on without him next year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad