OT: Football thread (2024 season)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

romba

Aug 2, 2005
New Jersey
He's not the same player. Look at Big Blue Banter and how many wide open throws he missed. Maybe it's the injuries maybe it's confident but he went from average to horrendous.

The giants o line played fine on Sunday. Probably their best performance in awhile.

Jones was awful. Maybe the worst game of his career. I think he’s dust.
Apparently Nabers was 8th best in creating separation out of all WRs through Sunday night's game. The passes were there, Jones is just too skittish to see them. Safety first- all he wants to do is 5 yard passes or check downs and somehow EVEN THOSE get picked off smdh

Reactions: Bob Richards

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
I have seen way worse by DJ, Eli and Simms. Way worse. Like not even close. Eli threw 3 pick 6's (4 ints) in 1 game vs the Vikes. I think he had two other 5 int games. In the 1970's we had a full season that we averaged around 9 points a game.

Hard to get picks when 99% of your throws are within 5 yards. At least those guys pushed the ball.

Reactions: ponzu4u

Gordon Bombay

Built for the HFNYR Offseason
Oct 13, 2006
Jones is coming off an ACL tear and prior to that a neck injury compared to Peytons at one point.

Iit's odd how almost everyone isn't bringing this up. He sucked to begin with but both of those injuries were not small deals.

ponzu4u

Feb 27, 2013
People really underestimate the effect having an inept offense has on a defense, especially in the modern NFL.

They're on the field practically the entire time and I'm not sure they've gotten to play with a legit lead for like 3 seasons. Anytime they get a big stop the offense basically comes out, lays in egg in under a minute and then pushes them back onto the field.

And truly mind-boggling that people here are still defending Jones. Injuries didn't make him unable to process defenses. He was average at best before the injuries! What are we even talking about at this point?!

In terms of the one season his QBR was in the top 10, he was also 24th in yards gained per pass attempt. The league literally didn't know how to game plan Daboll/Jones/Giants offense that season as it was Daboll's first as a head coach. After the bye week 9, we went 3-5-1. The only teams we beat were Houston(3-13-1), Wash (8-8-1) and Indy (4-12-1). He started the entire season and had 15 passing tds! 15! The same amount as Marcus Mariota! Mahomes had 41. He threw 2 tds over 5 games to start the next season and we were 1-4!

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
People really underestimate the effect having an inept offense has on a defense, especially in the modern NFL.

They're on the field practically the entire time and I'm not sure they've gotten to play with a legit lead for like 3 seasons. Anytime they get a big stop the offense basically comes out, lays in egg in under a minute and then pushes them back onto the field.
I'm not disagreeing with your point overall but that was not the case on Sunday. The Giants had the ball for more of the game (around 32.5 minutes of a 60 minute game).

LionsHeart

Mar 25, 2009
Queens, NY
As a fan I cannot do the Daniel Jones debate anymore. He can’t play at an NFL level. He’s like a running back playing the QB position. He can’t read defenses, he can’t go through his progressions, and he rarely makes a big throw down the field. When you’re watching The Giants it’s like you’re watching a different sport than the rest of the league. The offense is just not functional at all. They’re not fun to watch.

Jones hasn’t thrown a TD pass in nearly a year in a league where the rules favors the offense.

sbjnyc

Jun 28, 2011
New York
> He can’t play at an NFL level.

I think the quality of QB play in the league has been declining overall so the bar for "NFL level" is getting lower. TDs are down and I think NFL week 1 has a record fewest TDs (not sure). Maybe 10 years ago Daniel Jones wouldn't be on an NFL roster but today Sam Darnold is the starting QB for the Vikings and he looked like John Elway. A few years ago Giants fans were happy to have Jones instead of Darnold.

Not saying Jones is any good but how many starting QBs out there would you rather have?

Gordon Bombay

Built for the HFNYR Offseason
Oct 13, 2006
And truly mind-boggling that people here are still defending Jones. Injuries didn't make him unable to process defenses. He was average at best before the injuries! What are we even talking about at this point?!
I’m assuming this is regarding my post. In my defense, I was not defending him. I even said he sucked before the injuries.

To go further into it I would say I’m not surprised at all how bad Jones was. Coming off a midseason ACL he probably can’t scramble/run which was the only thing he was halfway decent at.

I can see how my post could be taken as defending him but I’m honestly surprised the giants went into this season almost all in on a guy coming off 2 serious injuries who sucked beforehand. Lock should be in there, but I think there’s some injury clauses in Jones’ contract that muddy the waters a little.

romba

Aug 2, 2005
New Jersey
Going all in on Jones wasn't ideal ideal but also not the dumbest- he's owed a ton of guaranteed $ for this season so can't cut him, plus if he turned it around then great, if not, you should be in a position to draft his replacement after a(nother) crappy season. Being stuck in the middle out of the playoffs but not bottom 5 with a mediocre but serviceable QB would not be helpful.

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
Going all in on Jones wasn't ideal ideal but also not the dumbest- he's owed a ton of guaranteed $ for this season so can't cut him, plus if he turned it around then great, if not, you should be in a position to draft his replacement after a(nother) crappy season. Being stuck in the middle out of the playoffs but not bottom 5 with a mediocre but serviceable QB would not be helpful.
Joe Schoen basically had 2 choices.

1. Franchise tag at around $35 mill for 1 year.

2. Sign the deal he did which was basically a 2 (or 2.5) year deal at $40 mill a year.

3. I do not think just walking away from a 25 year old QB who was top 6 in QBR and set a playoff record in 2022 was ever realistic.

Bob Richards

Mr. Mojo Risin'
Feb 9, 2011
Jersey
despite the horror show I’m actually not mad at the contract.

He was given it because he had a solid season and was magnificent in a playoff win with the hope that he’d improve on it.

He didn’t. Sucks but they do have an out for it.

Synergy27

F-A-C-G-C-E
Apr 27, 2004
Washington, D.C.
Nabers hurt in practice.

And also, why the f*** is it so hard to build an O-line? I mean, I sort of understand why it’s so hard to build a good NHL defense, but seriously why is it so difficult to find five giant dudes who can get in other people’s way?

Reactions: 80s Kid

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY

I think the quality of QB play in the league has been declining overall so the bar for "NFL level" is getting lower. TDs are down and I think NFL week 1 has a record fewest TDs (not sure). Maybe 10 years ago Daniel Jones wouldn't be on an NFL roster but today Sam Darnold is the starting QB for the Vikings and he looked like John Elway. A few years ago Giants fans were happy to have Jones instead of Darnold.

Not saying Jones is any good but how many starting QBs out there would you rather have?

Virtually all of them. He is bottom of the barrell. This is an absurd take.

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
Nabers hurt in practice.

And also, why the f*** is it so hard to build an O-line? I mean, I sort of understand why it’s so hard to build a good NHL defense, but seriously why is it so difficult to find five giant dudes who can get in other people’s way?
Brian Baldinger and PFF where commenting on the Oline as well. I do not think they played a single preseason game together. AT is a great left tackle but the other 4 guys are average to below average.

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
Virtually all of them. He is bottom of the barrell. This is an absurd take.
I can't defend 4 of DJs last 6 starts but he is also a guy that won player of the week 3 times. A guy that set a rookie TD record. Before the 2023 season he was a fairly accurate QB.

With the exception of the 2023 Arizona game he has not been the same guy for some unknown reason. Now his line was crazy bad but that has not been the only problem. I think he changed the way he places his feet and that has hurt his accuracy. Still I'm rooting for him. People can hate me all they want. As long as he wears the NYG uniform this season I will root for the guy.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Nabers hurt in practice.

The O-line was fine this game. PFF graded it as #8 in the league. People just want to make excuses for DJ.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
I can't defend 4 of DJs last 6 starts but he is also a guy that won player of the week 3 times. A guy that set a rookie TD record. Before the 2023 season he was a fairly accurate QB.

With the exception of the 2023 Arizona game he has not been the same guy for some unknown reason. Now his line was crazy bad but that has not been the only problem. I think he changed the way he places his feet and that has hurt his accuracy. Still I'm rooting for him. People can hate me all they want. As long as he wears the NYG uniform this season I will root for the guy.

He had 3 good games in his rookie season and then sucked until Daboll was able to squeeze the last drop out of his talent in 2022. When the league figured that out he sucked. He's done. It's just absurd to defend him now 6 seasons in. He's not a year 2 starter. He's trash.

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
He had 3 good games in his rookie season and then sucked until Daboll was able to squeeze the last drop out of his talent in 2022. When the league figured that out he sucked. He's done. It's just absurd to defend him now 6 seasons in. He's not a year 2 starter. He's trash.
As long as he is playing for my NYG I will continue to root for him.

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York

Week 1 is pretty much preseason now , everyone looked sloppy (except the really well coached teams like KC and San Fran)z

But yeah I think only 1 QB threw for 300 and it was Tua thanks to an 80 yard Tyreek special.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad