Roster Building Thread - Part XI (Off-season edition)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com please DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

noncents

Feb 25, 2022
and fwiw i think he's an interesting player to talk about in terms of his failure to find consistency and sustained success. ive come off him greatly. would be okay to see him go for not nothing.

but the extremism is so gross.. esp from a guy who always talks about how personal the zibanejad vitriol is. it's so inverted it seems like deliberate trolling

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
Omg my brain wanted me to forget Brodz altogether. Maybe he was a little more offensively aware than say Wennberg.. But geeze man if we’re loving on JB’s play, that is a problem. Chytil was sorely missed this season that is just undeniable.
Don’t know why your brain has such a reaction. Noone even thinks of somehow using him in any sort of comparison to Chytil. Brodzinsky is 13th forward, the guy off the bench if plan A for some reason is not feasible. In this role during his time here he performed better than probably half-dozen players who came here as bona fide NHLers.

Rongomania

Dec 31, 2017
Inwood
Don’t know why your brain has such a reaction. Noone even thinks of somehow using him in any sort of comparison to Chytil. Brodzinsky is 13th forward, the guy off the bench if plan A for some reason is not feasible. In this role during his time here he performed better than probably half-dozen players who came here as bona fide NHLers.

That’s what I’m saying. The best C that line had all year was a 28yr old AHL tweener. Yikes is all.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
Ive been making this point for months now. Its why Ive basically quit the board because no one seems to want to admit this.
They want kakko gone and are willing to sell for pennies.
You might be exaggerating a bit. The number of posters that wanted Kakko gone at any cost was pretty minimal (but very vocal). That number should be even smaller after Drury effectively exchanged Goodrow for Smith at the same cap hit at the cost of only 2nd rounder (well done, Chris) to address a gaping hole at 2RW that Kakko couldn’t seem to fill.

Other factors were that Kakko produced a significantly worse season compared to his two years ago so falling well short of expectations. Also this downfall was happening with exceptional progress from Lafreniere for side by side comparison - probably the same people who wanted Lafreniere traded for a 2nd a year before.

Like it or not but this is the show me season for Kakko if he wants to build a career here. Even if he shows good progress it possibly could be too late.

Reactions: Lion Hound

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
That’s what I’m saying. The best C that line had all year was a 28yr old AHL tweener. Yikes is all.
Sorry, I misinterpreted your post. Having Bonino and then Brodzinsky there for 2/3 of the season is yikes indeed. That’s why President Trophy for this team was so impressive (besides a slew of additional other issues).

Reactions: Rongomania

Rongomania

Dec 31, 2017
Inwood
Sorry, I misinterpreted your post. Having Bonino and then Brodzinsky there for 2/3 of the season is yikes indeed. That’s why President Trophy for this team was so impressive (besides a slew of additional other issues).

And that fact is why I’m so high on this team right now. Healthy Chytil, a few steps forward from Kakko. A couple more from Cuylle, Miller, Schneids. Laf being even better. Some youth injected into this lineup. All Eastern teams regressing or riddled with question marks as I’m seeing it. Sam’s final season. Goosebump city ova here.

Let’s get this started.

Flan the incredible

Nov 8, 2014
Laf away from Chytil and Kakko took off this year. Pointing to any success that Chytil or Kakko had two years ago doesn't convince me they will be anywhere near their point totals from that time frame. Chytil is a passenger and I would be shocked if he hits 40 points this year. 30 points might be a stretch this year for him. Kakko could play his way off the team this year with the young kids knocking on the door.

bhamill

Sponsor
Apr 16, 2012
Laf away from Chytil and Kakko took off this year. Pointing to any success that Chytil or Kakko had two years ago doesn't convince me they will be anywhere near their point totals from that time frame. Chytil is a passenger and I would be shocked if he hits 40 points this year. 30 points might be a stretch this year for him. Kakko could play his way off the team this year with the young kids knocking on the door.
If Chytil stays healthy I’d be shocked if he DOESN’T get 40 points this year… two seasons ago he had 45, and his pace in the very limited time last year was about 50. Sure Kakko could play his way off the team… or he could score 60 points playing with Chytil. He scored as many EV goals as Mika in his horrible last season… in 20 fewer games.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
I don't have the issues with Brodzinski I think that some others have. I also don't look at him as an every day player necessarily. He will be a 12th/13th forward but I don't even think he even necessarily sticks. I don't look at Jonny as a guy who's going too block a Rempe or an Edstrom. That said Rempe and Edstrom will need to prove themselves in camp which I think both are more than capable of doing. Could he block a Berard or Othmann from being a 12th/13th forward? I guess but do we really want Berard or Othmann in a 12th/13th forward role.

For me Brodzinski proved he could play at the NHL level over a sustained period of time last year. He's not a great player but he's a rounded player. As a mostly 4th liner he chipped in over 20 points. A faux pas now and again but generally responsible defensively. Very good speed....good sense of positioning. Nothing wrong really with any of that. 20 some points are the kind of numbers you'd expect from someone in his role. He is a smart heads up player willing to adapt his role to fit. He was a big upgrade over Bonino. Again though I don't think he really blocks a younger player from being a 4th liner.

Rongomania

Dec 31, 2017
Inwood

Laf was also better than bread night in and night out in the playoffs. Nothing was stopping him. Totally incomparable situation you’ve laid out there.

Bacon Artemi Bravo

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 20, 2007
I think what is super hard to recognize is that success is a crazy mix of resilience, hard work, skill, luck, chemistry, humble attitude ect. It just takes the right mix at the right time, the player building his confidence enough to believe in himself to use his skillset. Laf is such a perfect example of this. The kid has been skilled forever - yet many on this forum were quick to take that from him, again, not attributing his lack of success to the fact that he just hasnt had the right mix of everything to hit off yet(until it all came together last year). The same is true for Kakko by the way. I'm not saying its a sure bet, or guaranteed. What I am saying is that the kid has talent and he could absolutely break out similar to what Laf did. Further, Kakko is a prototypical power forward. These guys take time to develop and usually dont prime until late 20's. The most important asset a young struggling guy can have is his mental fortitude and approach to the game. Kakko does not seem like a big ego guy, which will help him. To me, thats the main reason I never gave up on Laf and a major reason he eventually found his stride.

alkurtz

Nov 26, 2006
Charlotte, NC
I greatly respect players like Brodz, "AAAA" players at best. It is obvious that the Rangers consider him an important part of the organization, so they pay him considerably more than a typical AHL player makes. They value his leadership and his mentorship at that level. I honestly think that they would prefer that he stay there all year. But, as we have seen, sometimes circumstances dictate that they need a veteran player who always gives you max effort, to be part of the "big club." Players like Brodz understand their role and, more importantly understand exactly what their skillset is. I'm sure, as much as he knows what the team wants from him at Hartford, he immensely values his time in the NHL. You will never hear me criticizing, for any reason, "AAAA" players who continue to plug away year after year hoping for just more time in the NHL. Right now, it looks to me like he will likely start the season in the AHL, teaching and leading by example. But I no doubt that we will see him with the Rangers at some point. I have nothing but admiration for players like him.

Reactions: eco's bones

Flan the incredible

Nov 8, 2014
Get ready to be shocked. 4 years in a row Chytil put up 20ish points. Health is an issue obviously but too many fans point to his one season two seasons ago as his base. Its not as its so far his career year. Last season he had zero goals in 10 games and was a passenger minus the one game he had some nice assists. I can't remember if it was 2 or 3 that game. Historically he isn't a play maker and his career shooting percentage is a hair over 9% which i believe was second to last on the team at one point to only Goody.

Guy is made of glass, he isn't a playmaker and his shot is mediocre at best. I honestly don't understand the optimism.

Flan the incredible

Nov 8, 2014
Laf was also better than bread night in and night out in the playoffs. Nothing was stopping him. Totally incomparable situation you’ve laid out there.
This is silly. Laf was great in the playoffs but let's not pretend a teams focus is not on Panarin. Its also a very small portion of games compared to an entire season of Chytil playing with Laf. Chytil is not a playmaker and doesn't push play. He drives to the net and throws anything at it and has a terrible shooting percentage. Guy is made of glass also. Guarantee the Rangers 3rd line is going to struggle as it is probably composed right now. Expecting Chytil to put up 40 or more points with kappo and probably a kid is being insanely optimistic.

The other issue is Kappo us pretty much the same player as Chytil and its why they struggle. The both need a playmaker on that line.

Reactions: EdJovanovski

Kocur Dill

picklicious
Feb 7, 2010
The Rangers need to trade a young winger for a young LD. There are way too many players sniffing around those bottom six wing spots. Kakko, Berard, Othmann, Sykora, Cuylle, Edstrom, Rempe, Vesey.

8 players, almost all of whom are young and likely to be here for years, fighting over 4 spots.

Perrault not included here because he’s a top six player. You can argue that Othman. May be as well, but even then, we have way too many bottom six wing prospects.

Problem is I think every team does.
there is likely an expansion draft relatively soon. management would be wise to get some of those kids near the projected thresholds that would make them expendable bait to fill the required players made available spots.

Rongomania

Dec 31, 2017
Inwood
This is silly. Laf was great in the playoffs but let's not pretend a teams focus is not on Panarin. Its also a very small portion of games compared to an entire season of Chytil playing with Laf. Chytil is not a playmaker and doesn't push play. He drives to the net and throws anything at it and has a terrible shooting percentage. Guy is made of glass also. Guarantee the Rangers 3rd line is going to struggle as it is probably composed right now. Expecting Chytil to put up 40 or more points with kappo and probably a kid is being insanely optimistic.

The other issue is Kappo us pretty much the same player as Chytil and its why they struggle. The both need a playmaker on that line.

Chytil looked damn good next to bread and Laf to open the season. Chytil staying healthy is the number one issue, I only see him growing offensively if he can stay healthy. Sadly, I think Kakko really needs him unless they get an equal to or better C which is nowhere to be found at the moment. I’ll still maintain that a healthy Chytil could’ve made a big difference in that Florida series.

I don’t see it as ‘insanely optimistic’. It’s clear to many fans of this team that Kak and Cuylle thirsted for a solid offensive 3C. It’s exactly what they need. No reason to think all three of them can’t take a step.

LiveLongandProspal

NY Rangers = America's Team
May 29, 2010
New York City
Remember how happy Kakko was when Mikkola was traded here? Walking into Mikkola's first game as a Ranger, Kakko looked like an owner showing off his prized pony. He was so freakin' happy.

No idea why Gorton or Drury didn't bring in more Finns, especially early on. All we had was Zibanjead who speaks some Finnish and a cup of coffee with Pajuniemi. You can't tell me that having a guy like Haula or even Granlund for emotional support wouldn't have helped Kakko.

Profet

Longtime lurker
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2002
NY
shop.profetkeyboards.com
Remember last pre-season when Laf looked absolutely horrible and Kakko looked like a stud ready to break out?

iu

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
League executives told Postmedia on Thursday that the Oilers were trying to get the contracts of defencemen Cody Ceci ($3.25 million) and Brent Kulak ($2.75) million off the books so they could match the offer sheets, and we’re told there are teams that have shown interest.

But, if teams are going to make those deals, they’re going to want something extra from the Oilers to take on Ceci or Kulak’s contracts. We’re told that could be a first- or second-round pick in both scenarios because teams know they’ve got Jackson cornered.

TAKE CARE OF BUSINESS: Oilers should have used Senators' Shane Pinto blueprint to sign RFA's

• Wow
Reactions: Clark Kellogg

bhamill

Sponsor
Apr 16, 2012
That's one big "if."
Of course. Otherwise I wouldn’t have felt I had to say it! Hahahah.

Get ready to be shocked. 4 years in a row Chytil put up 20ish points. Health is an issue obviously but too many fans point to his one season two seasons ago as his base. Its not as its so far his career year. Last season he had zero goals in 10 games and was a passenger minus the one game he had some nice assists. I can't remember if it was 2 or 3 that game. Historically he isn't a play maker and his career shooting percentage is a hair over 9% which i believe was second to last on the team at one point to only Goody.

Guy is made of glass, he isn't a playmaker and his shot is mediocre at best. I honestly don't understand the optimism.
Ummm, not 4 years in a row. Two seasons ago he put up 45 points, you can’t pretend that didn’t happen. And both the 19-20 and 20-21 seasons were shortened by COVID.

Last edited:

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
Kulak is better than Broberg so why would they trade Kulak+1 for Broberg at too high of a salary and also lose a 2nd that they now don't get)? And simultaneously make it more difficult for them to extend Bouchard next off-season. Letting Broberg go is an extremely easy decision. It's not even the same GM that drafted him so I'm not sure why they'd be so attached.

"respected Edmonton columnist Jim Matheson."

lol

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad