Roster Building Thread - Part XI (Off-season edition)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
So, status remains quo. Not surprised really. It’s looking more and more like they’ll invite a couple of vets to camp and then look to make in season moves.

The way I see the roster hasn’t changed:

- Don’t touch the first line (Tro)
- Smith is going to play with the twins on the second line and that’s just fine.
- Cuylle-Chytil-Kakko (I love this line)
- Vesey-Carrick-Some kid (Edstrom, Othmann, Sykora, Rempe in order of preference for me. Let one rotate with Vesey too)

Regarding the defense, all I think we need to do is find a solid 2LD and deploy the rest of the guys the right way.

Miller-Fox
2LD-Schneider
Lindgren/Jones-Trouba

We don’t have a major personnel problem in D. We have a deployment and cap value problem. Lindgren-Trouba is a nasty third pair, they just make way way way too much money to play that role but there’s no much we can do about it.

I want to sign Kylington, but barring that, start the season with Jones on the second pairing with Schneider and work the phones all year to make a hockey trade to upgrade/reallocate cap for the D.
Kylington wants too much money. Over $3 million for a two to three year deal. Rangers can't do that unless Lindgren or Kakko is traded.

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
How does J Brodzinski fit into all of this?

People were leaving out Vesey for a bit until a reminder when out but Brodzinski is on a 1-way deal now if I'm not mistaken. Healthy scratch? Waived? Traded?

I'd really like to see Edstrom and Rempe together with Carrick but I'm sure injuries will open the door for Othmann, Sykora, Berard with Vesey rotating in. I'm just not sure how Brodzinski fits in unless Chytil goes down for a significant amount of time (a very real possibility).
Johnny Brodz is the 13th or 14th forward until Chytil gets hurt and then becomes the 3C hopefully not for a long stretch.

I think it would benefit the Rangers to carry both Edstrom and Rempe and have either/or in the lineup at all times, sometimes together.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
How does J Brodzinski fit into all of this?

People were leaving out Vesey for a bit until a reminder when out but Brodzinski is on a 1-way deal now if I'm not mistaken. Healthy scratch? Waived? Traded?

I'd really like to see Edstrom and Rempe together with Carrick but I'm sure injuries will open the door for Othmann, Sykora, Berard with Vesey rotating in. I'm just not sure how Brodzinski fits in unless Chytil goes down for a significant amount of time (a very real possibility).
I don’t know if there’s any mystery about Brodzinski’s role. He will start either in Hartford as he’s done the last few seasons or will be in the 11-12-13 rotation. Injuries aside he’s essentially the threshold prospects need to pass to make the Rangers team.

We don’t know what will happen with Kakko but for now while hes on the team the Rangers have a set top-9 (and the same outcome if there’s a trade for a similar quality forward). This makes me think that even while getting their chance both Othmann and Berard start the season in Hartford. They need to outplay Cuylle who could be dropped to 4th line but it means taking the camp by storm and having exceptional showing in pre-season games.

On the 4th line, Vesey and Carrick are virtually guaranteed their spots and then there’s Edstrom / Rempe rotation for the last spot. Looks like organization is fine if either is staying 13th and so going back and forth with either in the lineup makes sense.

That’s 13 forwards without Brodzinski which means that he (again) will start the season in Hartford. And even more likely that Drury will make another cheap signing that would push Brodzinski either further down the depth charts.

80s Kid

Feb 20, 2023
AZ
I don’t know if there’s any mystery about Brodzinski’s role. He will start either in Hartford as he’s done the last few seasons or will be in the 11-12-13 rotation. Injuries aside he’s essentially the threshold prospects need to pass to make the Rangers team.

We don’t know what will happen with Kakko but for now while hes on the team the Rangers have a set top-9 (and the same outcome if there’s a trade for a similar quality forward). This makes me think that even while getting their chance both Othmann and Berard start the season in Hartford. They need to outplay Cuylle who could be dropped to 4th line but it means taking the camp by storm and having exceptional showing in pre-season games.

On the 4th line, Vesey and Carrick are virtually guaranteed their spots and then there’s Edstrom / Rempe rotation for the last spot. Looks like organization is fine if either is staying 13th and so going back and forth with either in the lineup makes sense.

That’s 13 forwards without Brodzinski which means that he (again) will start the season in Hartford. And even more likely that Drury will make another cheap signing that would push Brodzinski either further down the depth charts.
He's on a 1-Way deal though. Wouldn't he need to be waived to play in Hartford (assuming he's not claimed)?

"The contract is a one-way deal, with Brodzinski earning $787,500 annually whether he stays in the NHL or is sent down to the minor leagues." (ESPN)

Circus86

Sep 12, 2020
JT Miller
Ryan McDonagh

for

Brett Howden
Vladislav Namestnikov
Libor Hajek
Nils Lundkvist
Karl Henriksson

I was thinking about this trade saga. Who did we end up picking in the 1st round for the Lunkvist to Dallas trade? Was it Perreault? Maybe there is still hope for some redemption here.

Jaromir Jagr

Apr 4, 2015
Long Island, NY
He's on a 1-Way deal though. Wouldn't he need to be waived to play in Hartford (assuming he's not claimed)?

"The contract is a one-way deal, with Brodzinski earning $787,500 annually whether he stays in the NHL or is sent down to the minor leagues." (ESPN)
One-way only refers to the salary players make, meaning they will get paid the same whether they are in the AHL or NHL. Domingue is on a one-way, Brodzinski was on a two-way last year. He will now be on a one-way for the next 2 years.

Waiver eligibility based on a bunch of factors. Some are age-based, some are based on when you sign your contract, others on how many NHL games you play. Brodzinski has hit a number of these and hasn't been waiver eligible in some time.

When he got cut last year he also required waivers (despite being on two-way contract) but no one claimed him. I'm not confident he would clear this year and frankly he should make the team out of camp.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
JT Miller
Ryan McDonagh

for

Brett Howden
Vladislav Namestnikov
Libor Hajek
Nils Lundkvist
Karl Henriksson

I was thinking about this trade saga. Who did we end up picking in the 1st round for the Lunkvist to Dallas trade? Was it Perreault? Maybe there is still hope for some redemption here.
Pick was traded to the Blues to rent Tarasenko and Mikkola.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010

1-way just means that he’s paid the same salary whether with the Rangers or in Hartford. Token of (financial) appreciation for what he’s given to the franchise. Token because on the league’s scale - it’s not that big but nevertheless obviously significant to someone in Brodzinski’s position.

Cmox

Jan 22, 2010
In the woods
As far as playoffs Lindgren vs. the Panthers. I've had cracked ribs before. I don't think I would have wanted to play hockey f***ing about with that.

All that said I would like for Fox to have a bigger and stronger partner. Also with Lindgren we're talking about a 15/20 point a year defenseman. He might have really good chemistry with Fox but unless there's something top notch special about him like say someone like Pesce I'm not into paying big cap $'s. Not saying Lindgren stinks but he's not special. He's a $3 to $3.5 mil player not a $5 mil player. Playing hurt can be nice if you can keep up near level anyway but it doesn't make me want to pay him more. I'm kind of ready to move on if we can find a better replacement.
I've had bruised ribs before. I had to sleep sitting up, would dread if I needed to slightly cough, don't even mention taking a deep breathe.

80s Kid

Feb 20, 2023
AZ
One-way only refers to the salary players make, meaning they will get paid the same whether they are in the AHL or NHL. Domingue is on a one-way, Brodzinski was on a two-way last year. He will now be on a one-way for the next 2 years.

Waiver eligibility based on a bunch of factors. Some are age-based, some are based on when you sign your contract, others on how many NHL games you play. Brodzinski has hit a number of these and hasn't been waiver eligible in some time.

When he got cut last year he also required waivers (despite being on two-way contract) but no one claimed him. I'm not confident he would clear this year and frankly he should make the team out of camp.
I get that he would make the same amount in the AHL but are you saying he can be moved to the Pack without going through waivers?

Scenario 1: Let's assume our prospects have a phenomenal training camp and pass Brodzinski on the depth chart to the point where there's no roster spot available for him. What happens? AHL, waivers?

Scenario 2: Now assume Brodzinski makes the team but during the season he falls into the same situation as Bonino or Pitlick from last year. Are the options the same as in scenario 1?

Forgive my ignorance but I just assumed that Brodzinski would need to clear waivers if he was passed by enough people on the depth chart.

I do think he makes the team but I don't think I saw too many people including him in their lineup suggestions/projections which led me to believe he was essentially forgotten about.

My baseline scenario, assuming Chytil is healthy (yeah I know; just play along), is that Brodzinski makes the team and is a healthy scratch to start the season. He's basically an insurance policy.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
I get that he would make the same amount in the AHL but are you saying he can be moved to the Pack without going through waivers?

Scenario 1: Let's assume our prospects have a phenomenal training camp and pass Brodzinski on the depth chart to the point where there's no roster spot available for him. What happens? AHL, waivers?

Scenario 2: Now assume Brodzinski makes the team but during the season he falls into the same situation as Bonino or Pitlick from last year. Are the options the same as in scenario 1?

Forgive my ignorance but I just assumed that Brodzinski would need to clear waivers if he was passed by enough people on the depth chart.

I do think he makes the team but I don't think I saw too many people including him in their lineup suggestions/projections which led me to believe he was essentially forgotten about.

My baseline scenario, assuming Chytil is healthy (yeah I know; just play along), is that Brodzinski makes the team and is a healthy scratch to start the season. He's basically an insurance policy.
Brodzinski had to go through waivers the last couple of seasons and it wasn’t an issue. No reason to believe it won’t happen again.

Reactions: 80s Kid

80s Kid

Feb 20, 2023
AZ
Brodzinski had to go through waivers the last couple of seasons and it wasn’t an issue. No reason to believe it won’t happen again.
Thanks for this perspective because I actually disagree somewhat and this might be why I'm making this appear more complicated.

My assumption is that Brodzinski's value is now slightly better than an AAAA guy since he signed his most recent deal because he's now played many meaningful minutes for a contender. Because of this, I think he improved his stock enough such that there would be a good chance that he would get claimed off of waivers.

That being said, he probably does have more value to the Rangers than other teams so maybe he would clear waivers.

Is his value primarily as insurance for Chytil though? That's where my mind is at.

Reactions: kovazub94

n8

WAAAAAAA!!!
Nov 7, 2002
san francisco
Visit site
Any relation to Sean Burke? Sean is a goalie whisperer at the Allaire level. I think he deserves credit for the rise of Adin Hill, Darcy Kuemper as Cup champs and his original protege's of Bryzgalov and Mike Smith. If related, hoping the apple does not fall far from the tree.

Found it: yes indeed. I believe same person.

Mac n Gs

Drury plz
Jan 17, 2014
Any relation to Sean Burke? Sean is a goalie whisperer at the Allaire level. I think he deserves credit for the rise of Adin Hill, Darcy Kuemper as Cup champs and his original protege's of Bryzgalov and Mike Smith. If related, hoping the apple does not fall far from the tree.

Found it: yes indeed. I believe same person.
Yeah, it’s his son. Like you said, Burke’s basically the best goalie coach in the league next to Allaire. I like this hire

Reactions: bernmeister

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
Johnny Brodz isn't being waived unless he has an awful preseason. He's the 13th or 14th forward.

In a perfect world they have a four man rotation going for the fourth line with Carick/Vesey/Edstrom/Rempe and Brodz fills in if there's an injury in the top 9 or Carick is hurt.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
Thanks for this perspective because I actually disagree somewhat and this might be why I'm making this appear more complicated.

My assumption is that Brodzinski's value is now slightly better than an AAAA guy since he signed his most recent deal because he's now played many meaningful minutes for a contender. Because of this, I think he improved his stock enough such that there would be a good chance that he would get claimed off of waivers.

That being said, he probably does have more value to the Rangers than other teams so maybe he would clear waivers.

Is his value primarily as insurance for Chytil though? That's where my mind is at.

You’re right but I wouldn’t worry too much about it - he’s at more or less replacement level.

Reactions: 80s Kid

80shockeywasbuns

Feb 12, 2022
If Brodzinski were put on waivers I doubt he'd be claimed. If he were, it would open up a spot for one of the kids, which would be fine by me.
Would be a really dumb move by NYR and even dumber by the rest of the league to not claim him at league minimum. Brodzinski literally had a higher point rate than every NYR forward other than the Panarin line

Reactions: UnSandvich

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
If Brodzinski were put on waivers I doubt he'd be claimed. If he were, it would open up a spot for one of the kids, which would be fine by me.

I like Brodzinski. He’s good as a leader for Hartford and as a versatile depth for the Rangers. There’s a reason he got 2 year contract. I’d miss him if he were claimed but I won’t kid myself that he’s more than what he actually is, and if he were claimed I’d wish him best of luck and pretty sure Drury would find his replacement in a matter of hours.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad