Roster Building Thread - Part XI (Off-season edition)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

rangers1314

May 9, 2007
Astoria, NY

Could the Rangers sign Lindgren for just 1 season, and then let him walk next summer? Or will they sign Lindgren for 1 season, and trade him at the deadline?
If this is really the plan, a 1 year deal, just trade the damn guy now and get it over with.

Clark Kellogg

NYU Film Student
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2013
Vermont, USA
Is there anything that can be done about Trouba @ this point? Honest question.
We’re playing with house money. Got a 1st for Kevin Hayes (free agent signing) sent that 1st back to Winnipeg along with Pionk (free agent signing) for Trouba.
2nd worst case scenario waive him and he gets claimed.
1st worst scenario, waive him and he doesn’t get claimed and he rides the bus in the AHL.

Chalfdiggity3

Feb 4, 2010
NJ
Mediocre is a word that has a meaning, and finishing first overall in the league and making the final four of the playoffs is not within that meaning. You are proving my point. We are "disappointed" with "only" being first overall and two wins from the finals...

And I'll address you saying we cant win it: WE CAN. A healthy Fox (never mind 3 of our top four Dmen being hurt) last playoffs and there's a decent chance we win it even with Zibs disappearing act. The team should be better this year, Smith and Carrick are upgrades, and our younger players will logically take steps as well. Plus we are only mid July here. What, a quarter of the way through the off season? Who knows what happens between now and camp? Pessimism isn't any sounder logical ground than optimism.

We use mediocre because the team itself plays a mediocre game. They aren’t good at anything really except for the pp and goaltending. Our offense scheme is to defend until we are to tired then get the puck and either go for an odd man rush or dump it in for a change.

Again, I’ll say this who the hell cares about finishing with the presidents trophy? We are here to win a f***ing cup. Regular season doesn’t mean shit. And we were extremely lucky to be 2 wins away, I’ll say it again we should have lost to Carolina.

I guess we will see. Again we still have trouba and lindgren playing meaningful minutes. This team can’t do anything else, this is our team. I’m not sure what you think will happen but this is it. Then we can throw our remaining picks against the wall at the deadline to see what sticks. Nothing was done with this team, it’s running it back again and we know what this core is capable of.

Not choosing pessimism, just talking the truth

Gordon Bombay

Built for the HFNYR Offseason
Oct 13, 2006
Yeah it would nice to hear one of:

1) We're going to stand pat

2) We plan on making changes

3) We plan on making changes but the right opportunity isn't there right now

Trying to trade Trouba and then doing nothing has my leaning towards #3 but even then, it's really vague.

Apparently, they tried to trade Trouba but are also trying to extend Lindgren? So like, you're moving on from an overpriced, immobile D but you're actively trying to lock in a different one? I really never know what this team's philosophy is.
Chris Drury is Beric Dondarrion

Ever since TNT got that shot of him he’s been in the cave.

• Wow
Reactions: Machinehead

Jaromir Jagr

Apr 4, 2015
Long Island, NY
It would also be nice if the team, you know, communicated with the fan base a little. Not asking that they disclose a detailed plan, but would be nice to get the GM’s honest assessment on the previous season and to know what he thinks needs to improve.

Sports are such an interesting product. The customers are very willing to fork over huge sums of money while being mostly ignored.
I don't really get why they would tell us the strategy. It can only harm them. Either they tell the rest of the league what they're going to do and potentially reduce the cost on their available players, or they piss off the team who knows they were looking to move some of them.

Most of the fan base are idiots or fair-weather fans. Just look at the comments on Facebook or Instagram after we re-signed Robertson. The average Rangers fan knows nothing about hockey and probably doesn't even recognize what's going on with the overall strategy of the team. Most fans also love Lindgren.

We are all kinda freaks on HF and are a tiny slice and some of the most educated hockey fans. But this fan base is enormous and the majority know nothing and probably don't even think about the team outside of when they're watching a game.

RangersFan1994

Aug 20, 2019
If this is really the plan, a 1 year deal, just trade the damn guy now and get it over with.
Rangers don't do things smartly. This would be a smart move. They'll wait until the last minute and then let him walk for nothing 🤮🤬 they should trade him before the season starts. What if he gets hurt before the deadline or isn't tradable cause of being hurt?

Harbour Dog

Jul 16, 2015
St. John's
The most important thing is that Drury has shown strong interest in moving Trouba, and reservations about signing Lindgren long term.

Sometimes deals just don't come together, but at least we know that he's properly assessing the areas of immediate improvement. We're one of the most sure locks to be a playoff team as is; if it takes half the season to be able to shore up our D and maybe move one of those guys, then so be it.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
I don't really get why they would tell us the strategy. It can only harm them. Either they tell the rest of the league what they're going to do and potentially reduce the cost on their available players, or they piss off the team who knows they were looking to move some of them.

Most of the fan base are idiots or fair-weather fans. Just look at the comments on Facebook or Instagram after we re-signed Robertson. The average Rangers fan knows nothing about hockey and probably doesn't even recognize what's going on with the overall strategy of the team. Most fans also love Lindgren.

We are all kinda freaks on HF and are a tiny slice and some of the most educated hockey fans. But this fan base is enormous and the majority know nothing and probably don't even think about the team outside of when they're watching a game.

Yeah there are a lot of things that are anecdotal. Fans think that there is a norm and that somehow that norm represents them. There is no norm. I don't need f***ing Drury to explain shit to me and don't even want him to. I want him to put a good team together---one that can make Stanley Cup runs over and over and hopefully win a Cup now and again. To me that's his job and if he can do that and I never hear from him otherwise I don't really care. Until he does it he is like other GM's, coaches and players who came before him kind of in a state of limbo---if not of failing altogether not of really succeeding either. That said most NHL GM's, coaches and players do not win Stanley Cups. There are a lot of things that have to happen and putting all the elements together is kind of a rubrics cube or a juggling act and it requires some degree of luck.

TominNC

Jul 17, 2017
Charlotte, NC
We use mediocre because the team itself plays a mediocre game. They aren’t good at anything really except for the pp and goaltending. Our offense scheme is to defend until we are to tired then get the puck and either go for an odd man rush or dump it in for a change.

Again, I’ll say this who the hell cares about finishing with the presidents trophy? We are here to win a f***ing cup. Regular season doesn’t mean shit. And we were extremely lucky to be 2 wins away, I’ll say it again we should have lost to Carolina.

I guess we will see. Again we still have trouba and lindgren playing meaningful minutes. This team can’t do anything else, this is our team. I’m not sure what you think will happen but this is it. Then we can throw our remaining picks against the wall at the deadline to see what sticks. Nothing was done with this team, it’s running it back again and we know what this core is capable of.

No you’re a drama queen.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
I'd have more faith in the team if we didn't look like such dogshit against Carolina and Florida. If we didn't have 20ish million tied up in Trouba, Lindgren, and Zibanejad. If 8.5 million (almost 10% of our cap) wasn't tied up in a completely immovable anchor.

?

They 100% deserved to win the Carolina series.

The only games where they were outplayed (or even deserved to lose) were 5 and 6. They lost one and won the other.

Synergy27

F-A-C-G-C-E
Apr 27, 2004
Washington, D.C.

Yeah. Can’t disagree at all.

RangersFan1994

Aug 20, 2019
Would this be fair

Rangers get Shane Wright
Krakken gets Kaapo Kakko

Rangers get center depth. Kraken take a chance on a underperformed forward.

n8

WAAAAAAA!!!
Nov 7, 2002
san francisco
Visit site
Would this be fair

Rangers get Shane Wright
Krakken gets Kaapo Kakko

Seattle is not doing that. They have been slowly building up Wright, the right (wright?) way. Something we should have done with our big prospects.
Our problem is that we need to keep Lindgren-Fox, Miller-Trouba, and Lindgren-Trouba all separate. But that really doesn't leave a ton of options for us.
Just 1 I believe:
Miller-Fox
Lindgren-Schneider
Jones-Trouba

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
The most important thing is that Drury has shown strong interest in moving Trouba, and reservations about signing Lindgren long term.

Sometimes deals just don't come together, but at least we know that he's properly assessing the areas of immediate improvement. We're one of the most sure locks to be a playoff team as is; if it takes half the season to be able to shore up our D and maybe move one of those guys, then so be it.
The fundamental issue here is that Lindgren is still going to be around. Not wanting to sign him long term is only half way there.

And the other issue is neither of these guys are getting moved in season. Trouba is here till next summer, and seemingly Lindgren is going to be a self rental that will walk next summer.

I would love Drury to make a move in season to shore up the defense but I don’t see how it’s happening. If he really wanted to do it, he should have traded for Chychurn

Reactions: HatTrick Swayze

bhamill

Sponsor
Apr 16, 2012

Then we use mediocre at incorrectly. The word has an actual meaning and how this team played does not fit it. Period.

Who cares if we won the Presdents trophy? Me. And plenty of other fans. Especially since it gave us home ice advantage for our entire playoff run. No it’s not the primary goal, but that doesn’t make it meaningless. I care about winning EVERY game… you don’t? Even though every game is not the Cup. You say lucky, and I say we were the better team and won that series in 6 games. There was no fluke there. Even if you think Igor stole games that’s not luck. He’s a part of the f***ing team. Just like McDavid is part of EDMs team.

Yup. We will see this team easily make the playoffs and if our best players are healthy we will be dangerous. AGAIN.

I did not say you CHOSE anything. And pessimism isn’t any more truthful than optimism. Tell me one thing I said that was a lie…

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
Barry Trotz came out and said tax free states have a benefit over other states that do. One person's perspective but someone that's actually in the league vs us speculating.

Essentially all the top free agents went to teams in tax free states (Reinhart, Montour, Guentzel, Skjei, JAM, Stamkos). Also 4 of the last 5 cup winners are teams from tax free states.

All individual data points but they all add up to show there is some significance there.
He’s a president for a tax free state team and wants a competitive advantage over other teams (in his role this competitive advantage means players they target choosing their offers over other franchises). Do you really expect him saying something different (like Drury will highlight benefits of playing for New York team etc). I bet he’d sing a different tune if Bettman decided to take this advantage away but we did the math here and for the most parts this advantage is pretty minimal and players have means to make it negligible if they wanted to.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Would this be fair

Rangers get Shane Wright
Krakken gets Kaapo Kakko

KK ok in totality of circumstances, Rs have not given him a pivot w/chemistry other than Chytil, who bad luck got injured

bread not here long term, don't be too quick to ditch KK

Wright being brought slowly. SEA passes

Seattle is not doing that. They have been slowly building up Wright, the right (wright?) way. Something we should have done with our big prospects.

Just 1 I believe:
Miller-Fox
Lindgren-Schneider
Jones-Trouba
concur on Fs yr first para

Lindy/Trouba and eventually Jones gotta go

The fundamental issue here is that Lindgren is still going to be around. Not wanting to sign him long term is only half way there.

And the other issue is neither of these guys are getting moved in season. Trouba is here till next summer, and seemingly Lindgren is going to be a self rental that will walk next summer.

I would love Drury to make a move in season to shore up the defense but I don’t see how it’s happening. If he really wanted to do it, he should have traded for Chychurn
bold = bingo
Lindy has to go, no Girardi 2.0 repeat disaster
IF IF IF his trade value is upped by 1 yr extend, fine but that is not logical.
Acquiring team would prefer its own negotiation

Trouba = that's what it looks like
that said, we should consider gambling on Mancini at RD
and play JT at 4RW
not ideal, but he has less skating responsibility there

Rempe shifts to 4C, Edstrom 4LW

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
Looking at Byfield and Slaf, would you do the Laffy at 6.5 for 5 or 8 x 8?
I don't know about 8x8. He had a great year but it was still 1 year. Unlike Byfield, he isn't getting as much powerplay right now, so unless that changes, I think it's going to be difficult to really improve that total to a point where "wait and see", becomes a massive contract we could have avoided by getting it done now for 8x8.. With Byfield, if he adds a few more powerplay points with the opportunity he gets and improves even strength scoring, it looks to be a contract they got in front of rather than waiting.

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
I'd have more faith in the team if we didn't look like such dogshit against Carolina and Florida. If we didn't have 20ish million tied up in Trouba, Lindgren, and Zibanejad. If 8.5 million (almost 10% of our cap) wasn't tied up in a completely immovable anchor.
To be fair, they looked like dogshit against Washington too. Did the absolute minimum to win those games , the talent discrepancy was the biggest factor but Washington carried the play , I hated how we played that series.
But that was this team did all year. Barr minimum to win. It’s why despite winning the PT we had such a lousy goal differential.

effen

Feb 3, 2018
To be fair, they looked like dogshit against Washington too. Did the absolute minimum to win those games , the talent discrepancy was the biggest factor but Washington carried the play , I hated how we played that series.
But that was this team did all year. Barr minimum to win. It’s why despite winning the PT we had such a lousy goal differential.
?

They were 7th on goal differential, mostly off of losing by 3 goals much of the time they lost.

The best team in the league had a better differential of 15 goals, or 0.18 goals/game.

They completely outclassed Washington too, the only thing that could have happened by facerolling them was letting Tom Wilson feel like he had nothing to lose in trying to murder Panarin again.

Last edited:
Reactions: bhamill

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
?

They were 7th on goal differential, mostly off of losing by 3 goals much of the time they lost.

The best team in the league had a better differential of 15 goals, or 0.18 goals/game.

They completely outclassed Washington too, the only thing that could have happened by facerolling them was letting Tom Wilson feel like he had nothing to lose in trying to murder Panarin again.
5v5 differential they were barely positive . We know the special teams were good, until they sucked and we lost to Florida.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad