Roster Building Thread - Part XI (Off-season edition)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

EdJovanovski

#RempeForCalder
Apr 26, 2016
The Rempire State
If you guys wanna see Panarin (and Buchnevich on the same team) play hockey tomorrow they’re playing in an NHL vs KHL game at 8AM EST.

Screenshot_2024-07-19_at_2.59.32_PM.png

Reactions: egelband

80shockeywasbuns

Feb 12, 2022
Yeah Fox being hurt f***ed us pretty bad
People don’t want to hear it but Fox was better with every other NYR defenseman than Lindgren. With Miller and Gus (by far the most logical partners) he was still tilting the ice to an insane degree in the playoffs even with the injury. It’s not needlessly piling on Lindgren. It wasn’t bad luck, NYR killed Fox playing him with Lindgren

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
People don’t want to hear it but Fox was better with every other NYR defenseman than Lindgren. With Miller and Gus (by far the most logical partners) he was still tilting the ice to an insane degree in the playoffs even with the injury. It’s not needlessly piling on Lindgren. It wasn’t bad luck, NYR killed Fox playing him with Lindgren
and they'll continue to kill him for at least another year or 2 it sounds like

mti79

May 11, 2007
and they'll continue to kill him for at least another year or 2 it sounds like
but I feel like Fox wants him around.... maybe I'm reading too much into friendships, but Drury seems ready to move on from anchors, except when it comes to Lindy because of Fox. Goodrow was great in the locker room and beloved by teammates and he just found a way to ship him out of town.

Drury wants to win the Cup as a GM. We may not have been dominant all year but we had the best record in the NHL even with Shesty not being in God-mode most of the first half. This team can absolutely win the whole thing. Florida was just the worst match up for us because they are fast, physical and do everything well. That was pretty much the only team I didn't want to play in the playoffs because the matchup looked awful.

Hopefully Carrick can bring what Goodrow did at a much better price point and Smith can gel with the BFF twins.

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016
Yeah. That’s absolutely a terrible idea.
Every single sport allows players some contractual level of control for movement.
Players may voluntarily eat money, specifically for that level of control.
This idea that somehow if you pay someone enough money then they should happily accept whatever location they play for is also stupid. Money does no good when you live in a place you can’t stand.

People need to realize that athletes are people who want a degree of control over their lives.

Unless every city is desirable then you'll always have issues with parity and this is why there's a cap system in place. And yes, if you wanna play in the nhl you should be prepared to go to whatever city is prepared to pay you millions of dollars to play there. It's not like they gotta live there foe 35 years like a normal employee would. There's too much coddling in this league and in sports in general and it all started happening when they became millionaires. The idea that players are leaving money on the table for a ntc is a hoax, it doesn't happen, not here, not anywhere. Only guy i can think of is Zuc.

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016
Imo lindgren needs to change his style of play a bit, imo his biggest issue is that he plays too rough for his size and ends up hurt most of the year. He's got enough other attributes that he should be able to just ease up on the big hits and be an achor for Fox. I'm not sure if he mentally can do it though.

RangersFan1994

Aug 20, 2019
Imo lindgren needs to change his style of play a bit, imo his biggest issue is that he plays too rough for his size and ends up hurt most of the year. He's got enough other attributes that he should be able to just ease up on the big hits and be an achor for Fox. I'm not sure if he mentally can do it though.

He has to change the way to not get injured by guys that hit and forecheck. Most of his injuries usually happen in trying to retrieve the puck in the defensive zone.

Reactions: Kocur Dill

Atax

Apr 7, 2011
He's just not a good defensemen. He's a bottom pairing guy that for some reason is going to continue to get 20 minutes a night with Fox. It will be a mistake if they give him anything more than a year. You're right. He's an anchor. He sinks this team.

RempireStateBuilding

Dec 13, 2009
NY
Lindgren's issue is that he does next to nothing to protect himself. He can play like a wrecking ball, but has almost no awareness of what to do when he has a guy bearing down on him. His go-to (probably like half of the league) is to turn into the boards so his face fuses into the sidewalls at least once a game. It just always seems to go poorly for Lindgren, maybe because of his size. If he stops doing that so frequently, I think he'd have a lot fewer injuries.

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
but I feel like Fox wants him around.... maybe I'm reading too much into friendships, but Drury seems ready to move on from anchors, except when it comes to Lindy because of Fox. Goodrow was great in the locker room and beloved by teammates and he just found a way to ship him out of town.

Drury wants to win the Cup as a GM. We may not have been dominant all year but we had the best record in the NHL even with Shesty not being in God-mode most of the first half. This team can absolutely win the whole thing. Florida was just the worst match up for us because they are fast, physical and do everything well. That was pretty much the only team I didn't want to play in the playoffs because the matchup looked awful.

Hopefully Carrick can bring what Goodrow did at a much better price point and Smith can gel with the BFF twins.
The real questions this season are can a few rookies be impactful in forward spots?

Also can Mancini who has man strength steal a spot in the top 6 by the end of the year?

Reactions: Rongomania

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Lindgren's issue is that his defensive game fell off of a cliff last season.

It really looked like he himself and his ability to process was a step slower than we were used to seeing. His offense remained as bad as it ever has but he was out of position, a step late getting into position, would forget to tie up or lift a stick (or sometimes just space cadet a situation where he'd just watch a pass go through him and onto an opponents stick) on the regular and it's alarming. It's also why he got blown up way more than he had in other seasons too.

He shouldn't be here anymore regardless of how Fox feels about him but a 1 year deal is least bad of a bunch of increasingly bad options.

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
Realistically I think a three year deal for Lindgren is fair. Is there anything better out there? Can his defensive game get back to what it was?

Mancini is a RHD and if he shows he's ready, Trouba would be the one he replaces as soon as this year.

Fortescue isn't going to be ready for at least 2-3 more years. Rangers don't really have a lot of defensive help coming in the interim.

They can always trade Lindgren as soon as next summer and as late as spring 2027.

Reactions: majordomo

Synergy27

F-A-C-G-C-E
Apr 27, 2004
Washington, D.C.
So, status remains quo. Not surprised really. It’s looking more and more like they’ll invite a couple of vets to camp and then look to make in season moves.

The way I see the roster hasn’t changed:

- Don’t touch the first line (Tro)
- Smith is going to play with the twins on the second line and that’s just fine.
- Cuylle-Chytil-Kakko (I love this line)
- Vesey-Carrick-Some kid (Edstrom, Othmann, Sykora, Rempe in order of preference for me. Let one rotate with Vesey too)

Regarding the defense, all I think we need to do is find a solid 2LD and deploy the rest of the guys the right way.

Miller-Fox
2LD-Schneider
Lindgren/Jones-Trouba

We don’t have a major personnel problem in D. We have a deployment and cap value problem. Lindgren-Trouba is a nasty third pair, they just make way way way too much money to play that role but there’s no much we can do about it.

I want to sign Kylington, but barring that, start the season with Jones on the second pairing with Schneider and work the phones all year to make a hockey trade to upgrade/reallocate cap for the D.

80s Kid

Feb 20, 2023
AZ
How does J Brodzinski fit into all of this?

People were leaving out Vesey for a bit until a reminder when out but Brodzinski is on a 1-way deal now if I'm not mistaken. Healthy scratch? Waived? Traded?

I'd really like to see Edstrom and Rempe together with Carrick but I'm sure injuries will open the door for Othmann, Sykora, Berard with Vesey rotating in. I'm just not sure how Brodzinski fits in unless Chytil goes down for a significant amount of time (a very real possibility).

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
As far as playoffs Lindgren vs. the Panthers. I've had cracked ribs before. I don't think I would have wanted to play hockey f***ing about with that.

All that said I would like for Fox to have a bigger and stronger partner. Also with Lindgren we're talking about a 15/20 point a year defenseman. He might have really good chemistry with Fox but unless there's something top notch special about him like say someone like Pesce I'm not into paying big cap $'s. Not saying Lindgren stinks but he's not special. He's a $3 to $3.5 mil player not a $5 mil player. Playing hurt can be nice if you can keep up near level anyway but it doesn't make me want to pay him more. I'm kind of ready to move on if we can find a better replacement.

Synergy27

F-A-C-G-C-E
Apr 27, 2004
Washington, D.C.
As far as playoffs Lindgren vs. the Panthers. I've had cracked ribs before. I don't think I would have wanted to play hockey f***ing about with that.

All that said I would like for Fox to have a bigger and stronger partner. Also with Lindgren we're talking about a 15/20 point a year defenseman. He might have really good chemistry with Fox but unless there's something top notch special about him like say someone like Pesce I'm not into paying big cap $'s. Not saying Lindgren stinks but he's not special. He's a $3 to $3.5 mil player not a $5 mil player. Playing hurt can be nice if you can keep up near level anyway but it doesn't make me want to pay him more. I'm kind of ready to move on if we can find a better replacement.
Miller is just sitting there staring us all in the face. It’s the easiest decision of all time.

Reactions: Rongomania and Atax

TominNC

Jul 17, 2017
Charlotte, NC
Unless every city is desirable then you'll always have issues with parity and this is why there's a cap system in place. And yes, if you wanna play in the nhl you should be prepared to go to whatever city is prepared to pay you millions of dollars to play there. It's not like they gotta live there foe 35 years like a normal employee would. There's too much coddling in this league and in sports in general and it all started happening when they became millionaires. The idea that players are leaving money on the table for a ntc is a hoax, it doesn't happen, not here, not anywhere. Only guy i can think of is Zuc.
Why shouldn’t players go where they choose? They just need to weigh salary v location and make the best decision for them and their family.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad