Roster Building Thread - Part XI (Off-season edition)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Black Tank

Dec 12, 2006
a NYer in England
As I said, it's a feeling -- something just doesn't sit right with me with that pairing. Most likely based somewhat on his not using his size and his annoying habit of poke/stick checking everyone.
Miller's stick checking is at the very, very top echelon of the entire league. To give that up to get an extra hit in will lead to many more goals against.

• Love
Reactions: bernmeister

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
I feel like kids have been doing this move for ages. Just no one at the pro-level has the balls to try it. Coach would bench you for trying if you failed.

Speed of game.
It's obviously a lot harder from the following.
Skating faster.
Tired
Wet gloves
Pressure from back-checking player
pressure from not wasting an opportunity to score.
Ice quality.
And there's the thing you mentioned with the coach sitting your ass if you look dumb doing it.

Jaromir Jagr

Apr 4, 2015
Long Island, NY
Miller's stick checking is at the very, very top echelon of the entire league. To give that up to get an extra hit in will lead to many more goals against.
We don't even need to imagine this, just look at how Trouba plays always going for that hit and how many times it's cost us (including on the goal that sunk us in our last game of the year).

Jaromir Jagr

Apr 4, 2015
Long Island, NY
If Brodzinski were put on waivers I doubt he'd be claimed. If he were, it would open up a spot for one of the kids, which would be fine by me.
I don't really get this approach when we've seen what a shit bottom 6 does to teams in prior years. We don't have players beating down the door at the center position. Having NHL quality depth is not "replacement level" especially for a team that's trying to contend.

Last year, when Brodzinski stepped in for long stretches, the team barely missed a beat. He's not only able to chip in offensively (19 points in 57 games is pretty damn good for a 4th liner), but he's also decent on faceoffs and defensively responsible. We don't have anyone on the Pack who is even close to him.

Brodzinski is a valuable luxury to have. He's signed to the lowest cap hit, fully accepts his role and isn't looking for anything more from another team. I'm not sure why people continue to dismiss him as borderline worthless, especially after what how he stepped up last season.

IMO the only ones who continue to undervalue his use are those expecting some crazy production from a role that's generally filled by guys who can barely skate.

Mikachu93

Formerly MacTruck
Aug 1, 2010
NY
If he still is unsigned this time next month, I'd offer Tyler Johnson a PTO. He still put up 17 goals in bottom 6 minutes on a horrific Chicago team. He can still play, brings cup winning pedigree, and would offer some insurance at the center ice position if Chytil goes down again.

Can do a lot worse for a 1 year, $1m gamble on a veteran player.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
19 points in 57 games looks good for a 4th line player, until you break that down to 11 points away from any top 6 player. Sure, we could do worse, but I don't need to see him ever force fed minutes in the top 6 again. Surprisingly Kakko had some chemistry with him.

Last edited:

80shockeywasbuns

Feb 12, 2022
Brodzinski is a valuable luxury to have. He's signed to the lowest cap hit, fully accepts his role and isn't looking for anything more from another team. I'm not sure why people continue to dismiss him as borderline worthless, especially after what how he stepped up last season.
The Law of NYR states that there must be one 4th liner at all times that is objectively good at that role who everyone hates for no apparent reason. Then another 4th liner who completely sucks at everything that people think is good because the team is choosing to use them a lot. This player also can be playing above 4th line

Profet

Longtime lurker
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2002
NY
shop.profetkeyboards.com
I don't really get this approach when we've seen what a shit bottom 6 does to teams in prior years. We don't have players beating down the door at the center position. Having NHL quality depth is not "replacement level" especially for a team that's trying to contend.

Last year, when Brodzinski stepped in for long stretches, the team barely missed a beat. He's not only able to chip in offensively (19 points in 57 games is pretty damn good for a 4th liner), but he's also decent on faceoffs and defensively responsible. We don't have anyone on the Pack who is even close to him.

IMO the only ones who continue to undervalue his use are those expecting some crazy production from a role that's generally filled by guys who can barely skate.
Brodzinski is a bottom six guy who can't kill penalties. The Rangers tried a couple of seasons ago, he's just not adept at it.

So yeah... a bottom six center who doesn't kill penalties. He's a tweener... probably too good for the AHL and not good enough or adaptable enough for the NHL.

As a 13th forward? Sure.
As a short term injury replacement for a middle sixer? Sure
As a full time NHLer? ehh........

Reactions: nsvoyageurs

Riche16

McCready guitar god
Aug 13, 2008
The Dreaded Middle
Going after Trouba in all context of when it happened made perfect sense and I’m not going to hold it against the FO for doing it.
People forget how barren our system was at the time... especially defensively.

The only prob with the Trouba deal is that he rapidly deteriorated & the clauses we hand out like candy.

Profet

Longtime lurker
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2002
NY
shop.profetkeyboards.com
Reactions: NickyFotiu

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
Just saw a surprising stat. I never would have guessed #2, #4 and #6 were so high in the all time NYR empty net goals. They are above some really big names.
Strome was great at hitting an empty net, unless the net was empty with the goalie still on the rink...

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Grabner was very good defensively. He could really skate. Most of his goals were breakaways and empty nets. I don't particularly look at empty net goals as free ones. Sometimes they're kind of like that but not always. A player is out on the ice in those situations to protect leads to close out games. That guy has got to be trusted to play under (sometimes great) pressure and possibly for an extended shift towards the end of the game when he may be kind of gassed and against the other teams best players in a shorthanded situation and not do stupid or selfish shit and may even have to block two/three shots. It's important to have guys who are good at that.

RangersFan1994

Aug 20, 2019
FB_IMG_1721737399005.jpg

Reactions: Uglybstrd
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad