Roster Building Thread - Part XI (Off-season edition)

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Laughing at the idea of people being pissed that the players may not be happy about their friends being sent away. Like yeah, no shit they’re probably not happy. Believe it or not they are human

And let’s be honest, everyone here would probably not be happy either if they were in that situation.

Astounding how people become so pro management in sports when management usually f***ing sucks across the board lol

Because even if management sucks their incentives align more with ours than "this guy's wife cooks dinners for me I don't want him off the team".

lakeshirts37

Jun 25, 2019
Matthew Robertson is not an NHL caliber defenseman and cannot hold Braden Schneider’s jockstrap. Can we move on now?

Circus86

Sep 12, 2020
I like Jones and he had a good stretch last season. But people claiming he is better than Gus will be in for a surprise next season. He is still young and does not have a lot of experience in the NHL. Our D looks worse than last season.

Reactions: Barnaby

UnSandvich

Sep 7, 2017
I like Jones and he had a good stretch last season. But people claiming he is better than Gus will be in for a surprise next season. He is still young and does not have a lot of experience in the NHL. Our D looks worse than last season.

eh, i think he's comparable to Gus overall. Our D's play overall will come down to whether Lindgren is on the team or not, and whether he and Trouba rebound from their awful performances last year. If they do, we'll be in a decent spot, with a deeper offense as well

Reactions: bhamill

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
I read in The Athletic Marchenko in Columbus has an arbitration hearing scheduled for August 4.

The hearings have been scheduled. The NHLPA didn’t release the dates. However, Aaron Portzline found out Marchenko's hearing date.

Mercogliano wrote the same article today. No mention of Lindgren's hearing date. Not a big deal but these guys make it sound like they have a hard job.

UnSandvich

Sep 7, 2017
Fun PK facts:

Among Dmen leaguewide with 100+ PK Mins in regular season (120 D qualifying), on PK
Adam Fox:
- Best xGA/60: 4.98, almost a full goal better than 2nd place Vincent Desharnais (5.97)
- 7th best xGF/60: 1.58
- 2nd best xGF%: 24.05%

K'Andre Miller:
- 8th best xGA/60: 6.3
- Best xGF/60: 2.19, 2nd best is Victor Hedman with 1.85
- Best xGF%: 25.79%

Fox and Miller were 2 of 3 players total above 18.75% in xGF%.
PLAY THEM TOGETHER MORE OFTEN!!!

effen

Feb 3, 2018
Byfields only got one year of being an effective NHLer. Lafreniere has been markedly better every year of their careers.

He'd have rocks in his head to sign that contract.

n8

WAAAAAAA!!!
Nov 7, 2002
san francisco
Visit site
He has the potential to be better but he's definitely not there yet. I think giving him a full season will allow him to actually develop much in the way that actually giving Laf regular ice time helped him.

I'm making an arbitrary number but say you want to get a player 1000 minutes of ice time before they "make it" and another 1000 minutes so he can "get it." In four season, Zac roughly had 146m, 182m, 248m, 450m = ~1026 minutes on ice. He's finally made it but he's gonna need some time to put it all together at this level and play his best games. That's around 15 minutes a night for 67+ games this season. Zac's highest games played was 31 last season.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
If we're talking about the regular season I think our defense will be fine. It's not really changed much from last year's Presidents Trophy team. Where it started to fall apart was in the 2nd round against Carolina and then completely shit the bed against the Panthers. It's not a defense that's made to go all the way in the playoffs. That's the real issue about our D. And big bodies can matter. When you look at Fox-Lindgren two smaller bodies and by the time they get to Florida Fox has a wobbly knee and Lindgren a cracked rib. They were getting blasted all over their defensive zone. Trouba and his wobbly ankle was getting turned regularly. Miller was making bad plays under pressure. The forwards weren't providing enough back pressure or finding seams in the Panthers defense. It was a group issue but back to the D---we'll do fine regular season with who we have now. We just don't have a defense group that can win a Cup.

Reactions: leetch99

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
eh, i think he's comparable to Gus overall. Our D's play overall will come down to whether Lindgren is on the team or not, and whether he and Trouba rebound from their awful performances last year. If they do, we'll be in a decent spot, with a deeper offense as well
If Lindgren rebounds (personally I think there're more reasons to believe that he would than not) having him as part of D corp will be good enough through regular season. However, outside of maybe being on the 3rd pair will get him exposes especially deep into playoffs if the Rangers get there again god willing.

IMO Lindgren & Trouba saga for next season is not over yet and will be addressed at some point before 2025 TDL

majordomo

Oct 29, 2023
NYC
If we're talking about the regular season I think our defense will be fine. It's not really changed much from last year's Presidents Trophy team. Where it started to fall apart was in the 2nd round against Carolina and then completely shit the bed against the Panthers. It's not a defense that's made to go all the way in the playoffs. That's the real issue about our D. And big bodies can matter. When you look at Fox-Lindgren two smaller bodies and by the time they get to Florida Fox has a wobbly knee and Lindgren a cracked rib. They were getting blasted all over their defensive zone. Trouba and his wobbly ankle was getting turned regularly. Miller was making bad plays under pressure. The forwards weren't providing enough back pressure or finding seams in the Panthers defense. It was a group issue but back to the D---we'll do fine regular season with who we have now. We just don't have a defense group that can win a Cup.
As has been said many times, this team is not built for the playoffs.

Reactions: nsvoyageurs

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
Didn't play him in the nhl was the mistake, likely offered him a 2 way deal.
Seriously? This is your knock? Show me where an unknow entity got an one-way NHL contract from the get go - first off it's not allowed under the bargaining agreement - its ELC so it's by definition two-way so this is what Columbus offered him. I bet it was even far from ELC maximum.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad