Roster Building Thread - Part XI (Off-season edition)

Bruner4329

Apr 24, 2016
A huge factor is whether Chytil can stay healthy.
Honestly I am not counting on him. If he manages to stay healthy then yes he can be a contributor but he can also be one hit away from retirement. The other thing is when he has been healthy he can show some spurts of productive play but he has also disappeared at times for big parts of the season. I believe it was 2 years ago when he scored something like only 6 goals in the last 32 games.

Pawnee Rangers

Jan 10, 2019
So what you are basically saying is you expect no growth from any of the youngsters nor think anyone coming up like a Berard or Othman can contribute. But how is this team any worse than last year;s version? Who did we lose of value?
They lost nothing of value and improved slightly. It's also July and people want to be mad. They rolled out of camp with guys like Bonino and Pitlick last year and won the president's trophy.

Reactions: kovazub94

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
No, Schneider looked much the same as Robertson has, an opportunity was given and he ran with it.
You're going back to this again - Schneider "was given" an opportunity. For what we're discussing the proper terminology is that Schneider EARNED the opportunity (while Robertson hasn't). Otherwise you're subscribing to the notion that these opportunities are a more of a random thing like a winning lottery ticket rather than based on merit.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
That's just patently false. We chose not to qualify Trivigno. Henriksson went back to Sweden. Did we need to give either of those players a chance in the NHL to know they aren't NHL players?

Robertson's opportunities have come in training camp, and he has yet to take advantage of any of them. He has one chance left and I'm not expecting much. His best hope lies in his waiver status. If the Rangers think another team might claim him, they may keep him on the roster, and he could get some games due to injuries. I honestly can't foresee any other way he makes the team. More likely, he will fail once again to impress, get waived, and end up back in Hartford.
Taking this to an extreme implies that EVERY prospect must get a taste of NHL regardless of their performance since being drafted... As you said patently false assumption.

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016
That's just patently false. We chose not to qualify Trivigno. Henriksson went back to Sweden. Did we need to give either of those players a chance in the NHL to know they aren't NHL players?

Robertson's opportunities have come in training camp, and he has yet to take advantage of any of them. He has one chance left and I'm not expecting much. His best hope lies in his waiver status. If the Rangers think another team might claim him, they may keep him on the roster, and he could get some games due to injuries. I honestly can't foresee any other way he makes the team. More likely, he will fail once again to impress, get waived, and end up back in Hartford.

This is approaching Ryan Graves level of incompetence, it's obvious Hartford can't develop anyone, they turned a steady, big, good skating puck moving defenseman into what we're seeing here, much the same as they did with Graves. It's time to get him and probably Othmann out of there.

You're going back to this again - Schneider "was given" an opportunity. For what we're discussing the proper terminology is that Schneider EARNED the opportunity (while Robertson hasn't). Otherwise you're subscribing to the notion that these opportunities are a more of a random thing like a winning lottery ticket rather than based on merit.

No he didn't, he was playing somewhat similar to what Robertson was at the time of his call up. He got an opportunity and grabbed it, Hartford couldn't develop a picture in a photo lab. We're lucky Schneider got out of there and it's time to free Robertson and Othmann too.

TominNC

Jul 17, 2017
Charlotte, NC
This is approaching Ryan Graves level of incompetence, it's obvious Hartford can't develop anyone, they turned a steady, big, good skating puck moving defenseman into what we're seeing here, much the same as they did with Graves. It's time to get him and probably Othmann out of there.
You mean like Nils Lindquist who everyone was loathe to give up.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
No he didn't, he was playing somewhat similar to what Robertson was at the time of his call up. He got an opportunity and grabbed it, Hartford couldn't develop a picture in a photo lab. We're lucky Schneider got out of there and it's time to free Robertson and Othmann too.
Can you separate your OPINION from the fact that in Rangers' front office view there is a difference between these two that resulted in Schneider getting an opportunity and Robertson not?

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Schneider got the call ahead of Robertson because he was better and RH.

Robertson has had ample time since then to improve and insert himself into the conversation as at least a "taxi" squad guy but he hasn't. It really doesn't matter how good he was in Juniors anymore, he hasn't been good as a pro.

Not everyone!

Raspewtin

Stay at home defenseman hater
May 30, 2013
Robertson is better than he used to be but still has no NHL future imo. Too dumb of a player

leetch99

Leetch66 Joined 2007
Oct 5, 2017
PEI Canada
Are we back on the bandwagon that Hartford is toxic somehow?

I think some of the guys we drafted just aren't very good.
Rangers should have went after the best coach not in the NHL in Gardiner MacDougall who went 50-0 last season and won with every team he coached ...Canadian college championship .....a Memorial Cup the previous year in a short playoff stint in St John NB....U18 World Jrs Gold with Canada ....and he finally left university to coach the Moncton Wildcats for this season . With the money NYR have .....this guy should have been on a bench in NYC or Hartford . He is the BEST not in the NHL .

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
So what you are basically saying is you expect no growth from any of the youngsters nor think anyone coming up like a Berard or Othman can contribute. But how is this team any worse than last year;s version? Who did we lose of value?
Panarin won’t score 120 points again, Zib, Trouba, and Lindgren will continue to decline.

Laf improving and Chytil staying healthy are our only points of hope , but even that may. Not be enough

Reactions: leetch99

Machinehead

HFNYR MVP
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Rangers should have went after the best coach not in the NHL in Gardiner MacDougall who went 50-0 last season and won with every team he coached ...Canadian college championship .....a Memorial Cup the previous year in a short playoff stint in St John NB....U18 World Jrs Gold with Canada ....and he finally left university to coach the Moncton Wildcats for this season . With the money NYR have .....this guy should have been on a bench in NYC or Hartford . He is the BEST not in the NHL .
I'm sure he's very good but he's not going to make non-NHL players into NHL players.

leetch99

Leetch66 Joined 2007
Oct 5, 2017
PEI Canada
Panarin won’t score 120 points again, Zib, Trouba, and Lindgren will continue to decline.

Laf improving and Chytil staying healthy are our only points of hope , but even that may. Not be enough
Maybe....I would need to see much more consistency from Laf....I know he has had spurts but I'm not sold on him at all .

Reactions: nsvoyageurs

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
Seems extremely suspect that he would terminate a deal set to pay him 8M this year.

He had $2m in bonuses which may have already been paid. So $6m is remaining. Not insignificant obviously but he's also made ~$70m in his career up to this point. Perhaps that 4 year deal he is rumored to get is more lucrative.

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016

I had no problem letting Nils go he was at the very least redundant here. Robertson has size, skating and puck moving abilities, had it all his life until he hit Hartford.

Are we back on the bandwagon that Hartford is toxic somehow?

I think some of the guys we drafted just aren't very good.

How many success stories do we have out of Hartford lately? Cuylle? Anyone else?

Reactions: nsvoyageurs

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
He had $2m in bonuses which may have already been paid. So $6m is remaining. Not insignificant obviously but he's also made ~$70m in his career up to this point. Perhaps that 4 year deal he is rumored to get is more lucrative.

He would almost surely have to give the bonuses back if he terminates the deal prior to the season. It's possible the 4 year deal in Russia is worth more/he doesn't want to play a bottom line role though.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
A draft is a snapshot of where a 17/18 year old is against his peers at a given time. Not everyone makes the same advances in their play from the point of their being drafted. Players are going to bust. Sometimes there are particular issues within an organization but anyone can go through every team's drafts and find guys that should have but didn't. Also sometimes it helps a player to move to another organization. For some it's like a wake up call.

I don't have a big issue with how the Rangers currently are choosing or developing prospects. I remember the Gernander years as particularly frustrating (but there is also the element of the players one has to work with) and Gordie Clark had gone well past his sell by date before he was finally kicked to the curb. It's better now.

Quite often also when someone with greater expectations fails a player with lesser expectations steps up. These things happen and it's best not to get too fixated on someone just because he was a higher draft pick.

Ad

Ad

Ad