Roster Building Thread - Part XI (Off-season edition)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016
Robertson has to go on waivers to be sent down. Will the Rangers have him as a 7th dman? I think he should get a look based on that alone. It’s not like he is a 29 year old vet. Let him force his way out of the lineup. He was a 2ed round pick so Im sure some desperate team lacking defensive depth would claim him. Sharks Bluejackets maybe. Im not down on him, but the fact is the Rangers rather go with Harpur or Mackey or other AHL vets over Robertson the past dew seasons, to me that is very very telling. The fact is he has not gotten called up until this year I believe. The fact they never played him is another bad sign.

Look, if they don't give these guys some opportunities at some point we'll never know what they are, as I said before until Schneider got his call up he looked much the same as Robertson does now. Is this team committed to this player as being a part of their future? That's my question, because if they are then yes he should be their 7th dman, because Ruhwedal or Harpur aren't in the conversation as far as players in our future. We've trotted out a ton of terrible dmen the last 3 or 4 years and continued to put them on the ice, Robertson can't be any worse, he's not getting better in the AHL so like Schneider I think it's time you bring him up and work with him much like they did with Jones last year.

Bacon Artemi Bravo

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 20, 2007
The Panthers won with their best defensemen being 6 foot or under

Can we stop this shit about every defensemen needing to be some big lug

Fox is under 6 foot and arguably the best defenseman in the league. If Jones can move the puck with skill I don’t give a f*** how tall he is.
I think 2 guys 6 ft or less is the maximum you'd want at that small of a size. Already have Fox & Lindgren. Adding 5'10 Zac Jones would make half the d-core undersized. Not ideal.

Agree not every Dman needs to be massive, but you want the majority to be 6'1 or over I would think. The list of recent cup winners validates this as well I think.

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
I think 2 guys 6 ft or less is the maximum you'd want at that small of a size. Already have Fox & Lindgren. Adding 5'10 Zac Jones would make half the d-core undersized. Not ideal.

Agree not every Dman needs to be massive, but you want the majority to be 6'1 or over I would think. The list of recent cup winners validates this as well I think.
I know the sample size was only 17 games between AHL regular season and playoffs, but a good showing and Mancini may force his way into the top 6 this season.

Reactions: bernmeister

Kupo

MAFIA, MOUNT UP!
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Stamford CT
you have to learn to be honest

Scanlin is not "random AHL depth guy"
he is a legit prospect
may be a bit of a reach, and will suffer growing pains short term
has sufficiient physical qualities we want
just needs development

again STOP favoring vets over youth
Scanlin sucks. His upside is a #7 dmen.

80shockeywasbuns

Feb 12, 2022
26A3DEBE-F65B-4606-BB26-CDBF165A99B2.jpeg

Kylington would be a great add. He’s good though so obviously won’t be on drurys radar

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
View attachment 894865
Kylington would be a great add. He’s good though so obviously won’t be on drurys radar
Oliver has some off-ice issues.

I have seen Adam Fox on the street. He is not 6 feet.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
Forsling is great but Florida also had Mikkola, Ekblad, Kulikov. OEL is 6’2 and Montour is 6’0. Every D 6’0 or over.
These people don't understand. The Blues. Vegas. TB. Big long D. The Avs added Toews and Manson. Guess what? They won. Coincidence? No. Edmonton lost in game 7 to Florida. Big long D.

The Rangers blueline is their weakest area.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
Look, if they don't give these guys some opportunities at some point we'll never know what they are, as I said before until Schneider got his call up he looked much the same as Robertson does now. Is this team committed to this player as being a part of their future? That's my question, because if they are then yes he should be their 7th dman, because Ruhwedal or Harpur aren't in the conversation as far as players in our future. We've trotted out a ton of terrible dmen the last 3 or 4 years and continued to put them on the ice, Robertson can't be any worse, he's not getting better in the AHL so like Schneider I think it's time you bring him up and work with him much like they did with Jones last year.
We don't need to see a player in the NHL to know what he is. Robertson looked good in his final year in juniors but has shown very little since. He's basically the same player today that he was when he turned pro. Schneider was given a chance because he was deserving of it. If Robertson had been deserving of a chance in the last 3 years, he would have gotten it.

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
View attachment 894865
A childhood friend who is on the other side of the country and very in tune with West Coast NHL clubs said he's looking for a 2-3 year deal for over $3 million.

So it's not that Drury isn't interested, it's that they're only going to have between $750K-$1.5 million in cap space after Lindgren is signed.

Even if they trade Kakko for picks/prospects and start one of Rempe/Edstrom in Hartford, that's not enough for Kylington and to operate for the season.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
Happy to start the season with Jones penciled in.

Trick will be to not overplay Trouba and Lindgren based on salary or reputation.

We have a whole (nearly pointless) regular season to try Jones, Miller, Lindgren, each with Fox.

1994 NYR had Beuk with Leetch 80% of the time, Zubov 20. Karpovtsev was that team's Jones.

The Rangers roster's problem on paper is that we still don't have 3 lines of scoring, and are one major injury away at F and D from disaster. I'm tired of leaking picks for rentals.

We need to find a way to get more free young assets. Sounds greedy, but to stumble into another Kevin Hayes, Zuccarello, hell even a Matt Gilroy would be a godsend. Be opportunistic.

hardnosed

Feb 27, 2017
Scanlin sucks. His upside is a #7 dmen.
Plus, the guy is 25 years and was undrafted. Maybe we see him fill in as #7 or 8 D when we get injuries. But counting on him as a top 6 guy with 1 NHL game to his credit is ridiculous.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
Do you think Schneider getting an opportunity was a random thing, not earned? Do you think it’s the same randomness that caused Robertson not getting his chance, not that he hasn’t earned it?

As of the moment he’s essentially competing for the last spot among D core. He’s a 2nd rounder first time needing an exposure to waiver process to be sent down to Hartford. He could earn a spot or maybe Drury decides to protect him and starts the season carrying 23 players / 8 D (there’s no such issue among forwards so their number will be 13).

Last edited:
Reactions: eco's bones

IDvsEGO

Oct 11, 2016
The Rangers roster's problem on paper is that we still don't have 3 lines of scoring, and are one major injury away at F and D from disaster. I'm tired of leaking picks for rentals.
Thats a misnomer.
In 22 we had 3 scoring lines.
mika rolled with CK and vatrano, and they scored.
Panarin rolled with strome and copp, and they scored.
The kids were our best line at even strength and they scored.

We even had a healthy and productive lindgren.
And we lost at the exact same place in the exact same amount of games.

Sometimes you just run into a good matchup, and theres nothing you can do. And to say that "oh we could've beaten florida if for this" does try and diminish the team florida put together as well as they way it fit their style of play.

assuming that Kakko goes back to being a .5 per game scorer (his previous career averages) and 60 games of chytil, we do have 3 scoring lines if nothing changes and we're just running it back.
Smith was a buy low candidate who's had better years previously and a change in situation is probably going to be helpful.

lakeshirts37

Jun 25, 2019
With Schneider signed, Rangers have $5.15M in cap space with a 22 player roster (14 F, 6 D and 2 G). Lindgren will likely get around $4M AAV, giving the Rangers $1.15M in cap space with a 23 player roster.

I doubt they carry 23, any one player the drop to the AHL will bring their available cap space to around $2M to start the season.

That equates to a pretty decent chunk of change at the TDL if the Rangers maintain that for most of the season.
throw in chytil’s inevitable LTIR stint…now were cooking with gas

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Robertson has size and the tools but he hasn't stood out in training camp or preseason games (he played twice in preseason this past year) and then he's underwhelmed when playing with the Pack. He's been one of their most mistake prone players. The Rangers are not in the throw shit at the wall to see what sticks stage of things that we were when Quinn was our coach. Even for top draft picks there's no fast track for prospects to the Rangers right now. This is the norm around the league for the better teams. Opportunities for younger players/prospects are almost always better the worse a team is. To get an opportunity here a prospect will need to either blow the doors off in training camp or really light it up in Hartford in some way.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
If Fox and lafreniere are mad about a potential Lindgren trade, they can blame the captain. They could hold onto Lindgren if Trouba and his contract were hell bent on staying.
They don't want anybody to go. They all want to be a big happy family, and somehow take all the money they can, while pouting when the organization has to trade somebody. I'm glad the unit is close, really, I am, but pick and choose because we can't save your 2nd BFF while you fight so hard to save your 3rd, overpaid BFF.

Last edited:

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
Gustav Forsling who I would call Florida's best D is listed on Florida's NHL site as 6'0 195 and the same on Hockey db. Elite Prospects has him at 6'0 198. He's average size...maybe slightly small as NHL D's go.
It's not always the size that matters....
No, but joke aside, he's much more grounded than a player like Fox. It's not just the 10lbs/1 inch, whatever you want to call it. Also, I don't believe for a second that Fox is actually 185... It always seems like our defensemen have never seen leg day. They either have super skinny legs or they're just so weak on their skates.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
The AHL is such a crapshoot when it comes to defensemen looking like they're developing. Players and partners are all over the place pinching and it's a very tough league to get a full scouting report on a player if he can take the next jump to the NHL. So I agree that without an opportunity, you're left wondering. But if we're comparing them, Schneider at least looked like a physical player. I think the problem with Robertson is that he's not standing out at all. I think they want him to be more physical, based on being 6'4 over 200lb.

Reactions: Clark Kellogg

bhamill

Sponsor
Apr 16, 2012
You think we’re stupid? Where did you get a forward unit playing one whole minute per PK (a newbie soon find out it’s 30-40 seconds) so the whole thing is about 3 min per game. But even at your suggestion to cutting down to one PK shift per game (as you said it’s one minute long) - then why even bother? Goes back to where it’s started - if your idea is to cut their ice time is to look into PK then for any meaningful impact - remove them altogether (not some silly “reduced time” nonsense).
Good grief. It’s an example. That I repeated about four times. Hahaha. Why’d it take you so long? Even if you want to go with 30 second shifts, that would be a min and a half a game using the other parameters which is 7.5% which is still statistically significant. Hahaha.
Look, at this point if you scan’t grasp the concept that you CAN lower pk minutes without taking them completely off the pk, like you claim, you probably just don’t want to admit you are wrong. Hahaha. Good luck with that.
That’s all the time I have for this nonsense. Feel free to have the last word if you want. Hahahahahaha.

Reactions: kovazub94

RangersFan1994

Aug 20, 2019
Any chance the Rangers will sign some UDFA or DFA players that their original drafted team don’t sign to NHL contracts? This would be a great way to try to add defensive depth to the organization. How many pro contracts out of 50 will the Rangers have at this point counting Lindgren once he signs whenever that takes place? Try to find the next Girardi would be nice. Why not take a chance and sign these types especially since the defensive depth is not that great when it comes to young players with potential, they cant keep relying on just AHL guys, then players wont want to sign here.

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
Happy to start the season with Jones penciled in.

Trick will be to not overplay Trouba and Lindgren based on salary or reputation.

We have a whole (nearly pointless) regular season to try Jones, Miller, Lindgren, each with Fox.

1994 NYR had Beuk with Leetch 80% of the time, Zubov 20. Karpovtsev was that team's Jones.

We need to find a way to get more free young assets. Sounds greedy, but to stumble into another Kevin Hayes, Zuccarello, hell even a Matt Gilroy would be a godsend. Be opportunistic.
Smith and maybe down the line Berard or Othmann are going to be the latest guys to try and get Mika and Kreider going.

The lineup is probably going to look something like this to start the year

Kreider-Zibanejad-Smith
Panarin-Trochek-Laf
Cullye-Chytil-Kakko
Edstrom/Rempe-Carick-Vesey

Same D but Jones for Gus.

It would be ideal for Edstrom and Rempe to play a lot of games and sometimes together. I'd even try Edstrom with the Twins here and there.

Johnny Brodz and Ruewedhel gonna be buddies.

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
Any chance the Rangers will sign some UDFA or DFA players that their original drafted team don’t sign to NHL contracts? This would be a great way to try to add defensive depth to the organization. How many pro contracts out of 50 will the Rangers have at this point counting Lindgren once he signs whenever that takes place? Try to find the next Girardi would be nice. Why not take a chance and sign these types especially since the defensive depth is not that great when it comes to young players with potential, they cant keep relying on just AHL guys, then players wont want to sign here.

Yes, I see them being very active. Someone like Bryce Brodz as an example.

Their organization depth still isn't really complete. They need to fill out the minor league team.

BTW I'm very curious about Garand this year and he if he gets like a 3-5 game look. Huge year for him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad