Roster Building Thread - Part XI (Off-season edition)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Didn't play him in the nhl was the mistake, likely offered him a 2 way deal.
He signed an AHL deal coming out of the QMJHL. As a prospect he was a curiosity with some upside but wasn't some super highly-regarded stud. AHL deals are likely all he was getting offered since he took that to come to Hartford. Because he was on an AHL deal, he wasn't even NYR property and we couldn't just "play him in the NHL."

From there we did make him an offer but he thought he had a clearer path to the NHL in Columbus. And at that point he had to sign a two-way contract since all ELCs are two-way. He just didn't want to sign here, despite our efforts. It happens.

KennyWu

Oct 14, 2010
I don't even know what built for the playoffs means

ffd60ed4-5c38-42c4-9b30-7129c7ee2204_text.gif

Machinehead

HFNYR MVP
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
"Built for the playoffs" gets thrown around and a lot of times it means what people want it to mean.

If there's a style that succeeds in the playoffs, to me, it's teams that have the ability to get the puck in deep 5v5, go to work, and generate in-zone chances when the rush isn't there.

It requires "grit" (which is another word that just gets thrown around), but it's also about speed, talent, and hockey IQ.

The Rangers are over-reliant on the rush and taking chances that are given to them. They can't break down a responsible team that's sitting in front of them with structure, and late in the playoffs, that's everyone.

You can say it's because they don't have the grit, but I don't think they have the speed, talent, or IQ either. They're just not a good 5v5 hockey team.

The only forwards with adaptable abilities to this style of play are Panarin, Trocheck, Lafreniere, and Kreider, and out of those, only Panarin is an elite player.

Mikachu93

Formerly MacTruck
Aug 1, 2010
NY
"Built for the playoffs" gets thrown around and a lot of times it means what people want it to mean.

If there's a style that succeeds in the playoffs, to me, it's teams that have the ability to get the puck in deep 5v5, go to work, and generate in-zone chances when the rush isn't there.

It requires "grit" (which is another word that just gets thrown around), but it's also about speed, talent, and hockey IQ.

The Rangers are over-reliant on the rush and taking chances that are given to them. They can't break down a responsible team that's sitting in front of them with structure, and late in the playoffs, that's everyone.

You can say it's because they don't have the grit, but I don't think they have the speed, talent, or IQ either. They're just not a good 5v5 hockey team.

The only forwards with adaptable abilities to this style of play are Panarin, Trocheck, Lafreniere, and Kreider, and out of those, only Panarin is an elite player.

I think what translates to good 5v5 hockey in the playoffs is not always the same as it is in the regular season. I actually think the Reilly Smith addition is a little bit under the radar. What makes him successful at 5v5 in the playoffs is his ability to win board battles and play a north south game. The team needed someone who will get the puck deep and get to work. I think some of that will be solved internally too, with what is hopefully some growth from players like Cuylle and Othmann

Reactions: jerseyjinx94

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010

You're talking forwards but Rangers issue (as in "not made for playoffs") is not with that group - it's on D.

Machinehead

HFNYR MVP
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
I think what translates to good 5v5 hockey in the playoffs is not always the same as it is in the regular season. I actually think the Reilly Smith addition is a little bit under the radar. What makes him successful at 5v5 in the playoffs is his ability to win board battles and play a north south game. The team needed someone who will get the puck deep and get to work. I think some of that will be solved internally too, with what is hopefully some growth from players like Cuylle and Othmann
I do like the Reilly Smith add.

I think Cuylle has that tendency to run past the puck to bump into somebody. He has the talent and he's a good goal-scorer, but I think his low assist totals are due to him ignoring the puck too much. Unfortunately, I see Othmann playing the same way.

Neither of them are at fault. It's an organization thing. This team mischaracterizes grit as contact, whereas effective teams are always initiating contact on the puck. They provide support on the puck instead of thinking about the next guy they're gonna hit that isn't doing anything right now. Our puck support sucks.
You're talking forwards but Rangers issue (as in "not made for playoffs") is not with that group - it's on D.
You're not wrong at all, that's a whole other issue.

It would be easier to establish zone time if we could leave our own zone every once in awhile.

There's a lot of work for this team to do.

Reactions: nsvoyageurs

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad

heh?

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
Didn't play him in the nhl was the mistake, likely offered him a 2 way deal.
He was never signed to NYR to play in the NHL. They offered him a deal way too late and by that time he rejected and took CBJ offer because he thought he'd have a better shot playing in the NHL. Unfortunately, they also barely played him in the NHL.

Machinehead

HFNYR MVP
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Panarin can operate in tight spaces better than almost anybody in the league and would be highly adaptable to in-zone offense if his team played in-zone offense.

He was fine in the playoffs and he's way more in the category of overpaid than an active detriment.

Zibanejad is a detriment. He couldn't play a playoff style even if the rest of the team did. He has no noteworthy ability unless he's in miles of space.

Mikachu93

Formerly MacTruck
Aug 1, 2010
NY
I do like the Reilly Smith add.

I think Cuylle has that tendency to run past the puck to bump into somebody. He has the talent and he's a good goal-scorer, but I think his low assist totals are due to him ignoring the puck too much. Unfortunately, I see Othmann playing the same way.

Neither of them are at fault. It's an organization thing. This team mischaracterizes grit as contact, whereas effective teams are always initiating contact on the puck. They provide support on the puck instead of thinking about the next guy they're gonna hit that isn't doing anything right now. Our puck support sucks.

You're not wrong at all, that's a whole other issue.

It would be easier to establish zone time if we could leave our own zone every once in awhile.

There's a lot of work for this team to do.
I don't think it's something Cuylle and Othmann are incapable to adapting to. The intent to play that style is certainly there. I think Lafreniere is a great example of this. He routinely would take himself out of the play on the forecheck to make a hit or try to break up a breakout under Gallant because the coach stressed playing hard. Part of the reason for his point totals skyrocketing this season is because his awareness away from the puck on the forecheck was markedly better. He was making smarter reads and helping to force turnovers.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
I can't speak for everyone but here's what "Built for the playoffs" means to me, at least for forwards.

The ability to make offensive plays against extremely limited space and fastidious backchecking.

Playoff teams are on average better than the average regular season opponent in all ways on average (Obviously)

Players that score a lot of their points against weaker opponents, and in blowout games, don't translate as well to postseason productivity.

Because a lot of games in the playoffs are close and teams defend jealously, 'toughness' becomes an easy proxy word for "being willing to stick one's nose in and go for dirty goals" which can at times be the only way to produce offense against a team bunkering while up 2-1.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
I can't speak for everyone but here's what "Built for the playoffs" means to me, at least for forwards.

The ability to make offensive plays against extremely limited space and fastidious backchecking.

Playoff teams are on average better than the average regular season opponent in all ways on average (Obviously)

Players that score a lot of their points against weaker opponents, and in blowout games, don't translate as well to postseason productivity.

Because a lot of games in the playoffs are close and teams defend jealously, 'toughness' becomes an easy proxy word for "being willing to stick one's nose in and go for dirty goals" which can at times be the only way to produce offense against a team bunkering while up 2-1.
The ability to withstand physical punishment in order to make transition plays out of the defensive and in the neutral zones under extremely limited space and fastidious backchecking conditions.

Reactions: majordomo

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004
NHL is not the NBA. You can’t post up at the blue line and score from long distance. There’s a graphic that shows that most goals are scored inside the house, ie inside the faceoff dots from the goal line to the top of the circles. The shots outside that go in are deflected inside the house. And that’s where the defenders are. And they’re going to be whacking you, slashing you, and holding you. It’s frustrating and hurts like hell. You need fortitude to score in the playoffs.

The goals Panarin and Zibanejad score from inside the house are on the rush with no defenders around them. And when the other team doesn’t give up rushes, which is usually the case late in the playoffs, they are SOL.

Last edited:

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
The alleged strategy on Lindgren makes no sense to me. I don’t want to keep him long term, but you’re going to lose him for nothing if you sign him for one year.

Clearly the team doesn’t want him long term either, so I suppose they’re fine signing him for a year and letting him walk?

If you didn’t wanna go on long, why not trade him and sign a stop gap in free agency?

Drury’s plan is all over the place

Reactions: nsvoyageurs

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
The alleged strategy on Lindgren makes no sense to me. I don’t want to keep him long term, but you’re going to lose him for nothing if you sign him for one year.

Clearly the team doesn’t want him long term either, so I suppose they’re fine signing him for a year and letting him walk?

If you didn’t wanna go on long, why not trade him and sign a stop gap in free agency?

Drury’s plan is all over the place

Who is to say any other team wants to trade a decent asset for him and then have to sign him to a long term deal? Nobody here wants to give him a long term deal and that's with him already on the team and not requiring giving up an asset to even get him.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
Panarin can operate in tight spaces better than almost anybody in the league and would be highly adaptable to in-zone offense if his team played in-zone offense.

He was fine in the playoffs and he's way more in the category of overpaid than an active detriment.
honestly think some of Panarin's problems in the playoffs at times were him deciding he needed to do a little too much and try to beat too many guys or challenge when he didn't have support.

HatTrick Swayze

Just Be Nice
Jun 16, 2006
Chicago
August 2 is Lindgren's arbitration date

Status quo on everything

Drury is spending the summer testing out new pizza recipes. No contract extension for Igor. No trade for Trouba. Kakko may be traded if Drury gives him away or may not be traded. Drury is paralyzed in fear about next summer.

Our beat writers are so bad. Just replace them with AI and be done with it. The amount of air cover Drury gets is incredible.

Reactions: KirkAlbuquerque
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad