Roster Building Thread - Part XI (Off-season edition)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Machinehead

HFNYR MVP
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
I'm all for criticizing Drury, like ALL for it, but it's also the sport.

The NHL's cap system has killed interesting offseasons. Nobody is going for it. All of the major contenders are running it back with small adjustments, if that.

The Panthers did nothing but take a straight downgrade on defense and go "oh well, what can you do?"

All of the chuckleheads on the main boards said for years "oh the cap is great, GM's just have to be smart." This is them being smart. I hope everyone is enjoying themselves.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
honestly think some of Panarin's problems in the playoffs at times were him deciding he needed to do a little too much and try to beat too many guys or challenge when he didn't have support.
He gets frustrated not being able to do the same thing that worked in the regular season. But I think he was fine in these playoffs and toward the end of the season when his contributions set the (easiest) first round match up against the Caps.

n8

WAAAAAAA!!!
Nov 7, 2002
san francisco
Visit site
August 2 is Lindgren's arbitration date

Status quo on everything

Drury is spending the summer testing out new pizza recipes. No contract extension for Igor. No trade for Trouba. Kakko may be traded if Drury gives him away or may not be traded. Drury is paralyzed in fear about next summer.
If the rumored Trouba deal with Detroit was the one with Kakko, Veleno and Woll, I'm actually glad Trouba blocked it. What an awful return that would have been.

Reactions: bernmeister

Miz

Jun 2, 2011
Not that I care about these lists at all, but how many players drafted after Emery are on the list? Would be interesting given how controversial the pick was.
Quickly looking, no one in the the top 100 was drafted after Emery. From the 2024 draft, Luchanko, Boisvert, Chernyshov, Wallenius, and Cole Hutson were grouped with Emery in final cuts.

Reactions: Synergy27

effen

Feb 3, 2018
Drury is spending the summer testing out new pizza recipes. No contract extension for Igor. No trade for Trouba. Kakko may be traded if Drury gives him away or may not be traded. Drury is paralyzed in fear about next summer.
Doing the maximum amount of moves every offseason and TDL is what led to them nuking 3 2nd round picks just to ditch Staal and Nemeth among other asset related failures.

God forbid there's a plan and management learns from their mistakes or something.

Maybe Drury hasn't signed Lindgren because he is keeping some options open as far as the second buyout window?
He's either going to take a very team friendly deal for term (I think he caves and the holdup is going to be trade protection) or they're gonna let him walk UFA IMO.

Kaapo Cabana

Next name: Admiral Kakkbar
Sep 5, 2014
Philadelphia
The alleged strategy on Lindgren makes no sense to me. I don’t want to keep him long term, but you’re going to lose him for nothing if you sign him for one year.

Clearly the team doesn’t want him long term either, so I suppose they’re fine signing him for a year and letting him walk?

If you didn’t wanna go on long, why not trade him and sign a stop gap in free agency?

Drury’s plan is all over the place
That would have been the correct play. get some draft capital to use for deadline help, and sign a cheap stopgap

I get that Trouba killed the ability for us to move him so I don't really blame Drury for that one, but Lindgren is a different story.

We can still trade him, but there aren't really any options out there for a cheap replacement anymore. This really only leaves us with the option of signing him short term, or trading him for a comparable D man which I don't want to do. stick with the devil you know.

Maybe we can sign him to a 2 year deal, and trade him before free agency next season. That's the only way I see that we can actually get something for him and not leave a giant hole on D. Maybe by then the picture becomes clearer on guys like Robertson and Fortescue.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
Why would Lindgren play under his qualifying offer? $3,600,000. He submits a higher number than the Rangers for the hearing. The arbitrator settles it with a number down the middle. Even with a one year settlement between the two sides, it will be more than the QO.

Reactions: Hunter Gathers

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016
I'm all for criticizing Drury, like ALL for it, but it's also the sport.

The NHL's cap system has killed interesting offseasons. Nobody is going for it. All of the major contenders are running it back with small adjustments, if that.

The Panthers did nothing but take a straight downgrade on defense and go "oh well, what can you do?"

All of the chuckleheads on the main boards said for years "oh the cap is great, GM's just have to be smart." This is them being smart. I hope everyone is enjoying themselves.

I personally like it, I realize covid kinda threw a big wrench into it but I'd much rather this system than having the type of seasons in the MLB where teams like the Yankees and Red Sox buy every decent free agent on the market, it ruined baseball for me and i havent really gotten back to watching it. If you waste your money on players who aren't worth it then you have to dig your way out. If we had no salary cap we'd have every damn old player in the league and they'd feel obligated to play them, I definitely don't wanna go back to that. My only gripe is teams that leach off the league like Arizona was without offering atleast a good team to watch. Otherwise I kinda like the set up, I'd like to do away with most of the nmc and ntc's, like you'd be allowed 2 or 3 a team maybe, but prefer none at all, but I'm ok otherwise.

TominNC

Jul 17, 2017
Charlotte, NC
I personally like it, I realize covid kinda threw a big wrench into it but I'd much rather this system than having the type of seasons in the MLB where teams like the Yankees and Red Sox buy every decent free agent on the market, it ruined baseball for me and i havent really gotten back to watching it. If you waste your money on players who aren't worth it then you have to dig your way out. If we had no salary cap we'd have every damn old player in the league and they'd feel obligated to play them, I definitely don't wanna go back to that. My only gripe is teams that leach off the league like Arizona was without offering atleast a good team to watch. Otherwise I kinda like the set up, I'd like to do away with most of the nmc and ntc's, like you'd be allowed 2 or 3 a team maybe, but prefer none at all, but I'm ok otherwise.
Same here. It’s not like bottomless pockets worked any better for us. Make the GMs work, make them plan. As long as the league makes everyone play by the same rules. Which is in doubt

Synergy27

F-A-C-G-C-E
Apr 27, 2004
Washington, D.C.
Same here. It’s not like bottomless pockets worked any better for us. Make the GMs work, make them plan. As long as the league makes everyone play by the same rules. Which is in doubt
I think there needs to be a happy medium. The NHL cap is so harsh that you have no choice but to dismantle a Cup winning team almost immediately. It also seriously limits the trade market as only a handful of teams have the flexibility to make trades at any given time.

I think the Cap should be reworked to prioritize smart management, exactly as you say. There should be incentives for drafting and trading well, and disincentives for signing free agents. Something like drafted players counting for only x% of their AAV, whereas FA count for the whole AAV.

I want to give the small market teams a chance without completely hamstringing entertainment value.

Machinehead

HFNYR MVP
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
I wanna live in the reality you live in where the Yankees are aggressive lol

TominNC

Jul 17, 2017
Charlotte, NC
The cap’s a nuisance. Good. Cup winners need to dismantle? Doesn’t that give more teams a chance to win? No more 4 and 5 consecutive winners. Trades are hard? Ok.
I get more enjoyment from watching hockey games than I do from watching transaction notices. I have other things to do in the off season.

Maybe since sim old enough to remember the Rangers signing all the aging stars (kind of like the Kane experience). Some claim we have a country club now? Ha

I’m old enough to remember the same teams winning over and over. It wasn’t fun.

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
Bottomless pockets era didn't work because even back then ( and maybe moreso than now) top players in their prime were never free agents. You had swing some mondo trades like we did for Messier, and actually draft and develop talent which we've never been able to do except that one time.

The difference was that without the cap you could keep your awesome cup winning team together for longer unless your GM was an idiot and traded good young players for overrated old crap (ugh) , but if you can't draft and develop all the money in the world won't help you, and up until the late 80s the Rongos were the absolute worst drafting team in the league outside of like... the Golden Seals.

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
The cap’s a nuisance. Good. Cup winners need to dismantle? Doesn’t that give more teams a chance to win? No more 4 and 5 consecutive winners. Trades are hard? Ok.
I get more enjoyment from watching hockey games than I do from watching transaction notices. I have other things to do in the off season.

Maybe since sim old enough to remember the Rangers signing all the aging stars (kind of like the Kane experience). Some claim we have a country club now? Ha

I’m old enough to remember the same teams winning over and over. It wasn’t fun.
Yeah, I really don't want to go back to late-90s Rangers. Those were pitiful years.

The cap is the ultimate check and balance. I was at a concert in August 2005 and friends were complaining the Rangers didn't sign Forsberg and Khobeboulin. Lundqvist would've got stuck in the minors most of that season.

The Rangers need to draft and develop better to win a Cup. They've been close. They've been good to very good and not so good at times. They need to hit one or two real home runs, and actually draft centers.

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016
Yeah, I really don't want to go back to late-90s Rangers. Those were pitiful years.

The cap is the ultimate check and balance. I was at a concert in August 2005 and friends were complaining the Rangers didn't sign Forsberg and Khobeboulin. Lundqvist would've got stuck in the minors most of that season.

The Rangers need to draft and develop better to win a Cup. They've been close. They've been good to very good and not so good at times. They need to hit one or two real home runs, and actually draft centers.

I wish they'd just stay the course and continue to draft players that can backfill. Imo trading all your pieces at the draft for one crack at a cup is less likely to win you one than if you build a solid team and backfill it with young players who can replace aging players, if you do that, you can theoretically keep your window open and with more playoff appearances give yourself more shots at a cup instead of going big and suffering for 10 years after. I for one was happy they kept the first pick this year, it's to be determined if the player works out or not but with Othmann, Berard, Sykora, Perrault etc coming the window shouldn't close quick as long as we don't overreact

Harbour Dog

Jul 16, 2015
St. John's
Staple:

"The captain went through the rumor mill ahead of July 1, but league sources said there was never anything close with the Red Wings and Rangers on a Trouba deal."

giphy.gif

Reactions: rangers1314
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad