Roster Building Thread - Part XI (Off-season edition)

RangersFan1994

Aug 20, 2019
Yes, I see them being very active. Someone like Bryce Brodz as an example.

Their organization depth still isn't really complete. They need to fill out the minor league team.

BTW I'm very curious about Garand this year and he if he gets like a 3-5 game look. Huge year for him.

I hope Garand gets some games in preseason and hopefully a few this season to give him a taste to see where he is at. I am also curious to see how Quick will be this season. He looked good but struggled early. do you give him more games if he does not struggle this season, to give Igor more rest down the stretch?

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
The last thing I'll hopefully say about Robertson for a while. So he has to go through waivers if he doesn't make the team. He probably won't be picked up. There was a question whether the Rangers were even going to re-sign him. Rangers lost Emberson to waivers last year but Emberson was just a better player than Robertson and even he had an up and down season with a very weak San Jose team. If Robertson can't really earn a job with the Rangers losing him to waivers is not going to be a big deal---it will be less of an issue than losing Emberson. Arguably Robertson has already been bypassed by Mancini. Fact is if it's more of the same as his first three years both Mackey and Harpur are better call up options.

NYR2007

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 7, 2009
New York
Not even looking forward to this season if they are running it back with arguably a worse team. At least on defense.

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
Not even looking forward to this season if they are running it back with arguably a worse team. At least on defense.
I understand the frustration but how is it worse? Miller will be better this year. Jones is legit if they give him a chance. I don't think a 32 year old Gus is better than Jones. The forward lineup is better since I am a believer in the Hartford kids. Give me Berard/Edstrom over Bonino/Pitlick all day!

A huge factor is whether Chytil can stay healthy.

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016
We don't need to see a player in the NHL to know what he is. Robertson looked good in his final year in juniors but has shown very little since. He's basically the same player today that he was when he turned pro. Schneider was given a chance because he was deserving of it. If Robertson had been deserving of a chance in the last 3 years, he would have gotten it.

No, Schneider looked much the same as Robertson has, an opportunity was given and he ran with it.

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016
The AHL is such a crapshoot when it comes to defensemen looking like they're developing. Players and partners are all over the place pinching and it's a very tough league to get a full scouting report on a player if he can take the next jump to the NHL. So I agree that without an opportunity, you're left wondering. But if we're comparing them, Schneider at least looked like a physical player. I think the problem with Robertson is that he's not standing out at all. I think they want him to be more physical, based on being 6'4 over 200lb.

Sure, but to be fair that was never really his game, he's never been a bone crusher, and if that's what they are trying to make him into it's a square peg in a round hole and it might be no wonder he's not successful.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
The last thing I'll hopefully say about Robertson for a while. So he has to go through waivers if he doesn't make the team. He probably won't be picked up. There was a question whether the Rangers were even going to re-sign him. Rangers lost Emberson to waivers last year but Emberson was just a better player than Robertson and even he had an up and down season with a very weak San Jose team. If Robertson can't really earn a job with the Rangers losing him to waivers is not going to be a big deal---it will be less of an issue than losing Emberson. Arguably Robertson has already been bypassed by Mancini. Fact is if it's more of the same as his first three years both Mackey and Harpur are better call up options.
entirely true.

Only ? here is did Robertson fail 111% on him and him alone, or was he not sufficiently developed/given opportunity?

You re-signed the guy
Sink or swim
play him 10 or so games start of season

If he sucks, send him back down and ask if wants to be let out of his contract to pursue other options.
If not, be guided accordingly.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple

So this guy is a 5'11" natural righty RD who has underproduced. He was like 11OA which apparently was a huge reach.
Upside?

I do not have so much interest in him as playmaker for non-Fox mins.
Can he provide decent actual D, clear the crease, etc.?

Possible buy low project for 1 yr stopgap
Jones + Vesey for him unless we know beforehand he is a creampuff loser.

Disagree w/those who disagreed w/me on Scanlin.
mid 20s is not 30
and w/Fort a yr or 2 away, I am not unduly concerned.

Functional stopgap
and we MUST gamble if we deal Lindy for futures
and sucking it up, do not take LD coming back
-- one not likely worth having

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
No, Schneider looked much the same as Robertson has, an opportunity was given and he ran with it.
According to you, but management obviously saw them differently.

Are you really suggesting that Robertson could have had the same success as Schneider, but the Rangers didn't give him the opportunity for some reason that has nothing to do with his play?

The truth is, he just isn't that good. He hasn't gotten a chance because he hasn't earned one.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
The issue with the defense isn't having Jones, who is adept at moving the puck quickly to the forwards and avoiding major contact. It's having Lindgren who is neither adept at moving the puck or separating players from the puck. He's a defensive d-man who has the poor qualities of a smaller puck-moving d-man without the puck moving ability. That's a bad combination.

The team can work with Fox and Jones, as long as they are spread out on the pairing for the most part. Trying to find combinations that work with Jones and Lindgren on the left side is what I am having trouble with, barring Fox being paired with Lindgren which should be a non-starter

Harbour Dog

Jul 16, 2015
St. John's

Are you really suggesting that Robertson could have had the same success as Schneider, but the Rangers didn't give him the opportunity for some reason that has nothing to do with his play?

The truth is, he just isn't that good. He hasn't gotten a chance because he hasn't earned one.

To add to this, when Schneider got a sniff of NHL regular season ice, he never looked out of place at all. He hasn't been a world beater, but he's been steady in his role for the most part.

Robertson started pre-season this past year with a couple good shifts, then looked overmatched for the rest of his time. If you're making questionable decisions with the puck on your stick in the defensive zone (he made several), then coach's aren't going to want to use you.

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016

I'm saying the only way to know if he could follow the same path as Schneider is if he actually gets that opportunity, if they don't do it they'll only find out after he leaves.

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016
To add to this, when Schneider got a sniff of NHL regular season ice, he never looked out of place at all. He hasn't been a world beater, but he's been steady in his role for the most part.

Robertson started pre-season this past year with a couple good shifts, then looked overmatched for the rest of his time. If you're making questionable decisions with the puck on your stick in the defensive zone (he made several), then coach's aren't going to want to use you.

Sure, but you don't toss an entire career down the drain because he wasn't immediately comfortable. I watched him in junior and I'm telling you he has everything you want in a dman in there but he needs help getting it to the next level. I don't see any issue keeping him up as the 7th dman like they did Jones last year, I mean we had the corpse of Marc Staal, Patrick Nemeth, Jack Johnson on this team and they played every night, having him along for the ride would be much less of a burden than those guys.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
I'm saying the only way to know if he could follow the same path as Schneider is if he actually gets that opportunity, if they don't do it they'll only find out after he leaves.
That's just patently false. We chose not to qualify Trivigno. Henriksson went back to Sweden. Did we need to give either of those players a chance in the NHL to know they aren't NHL players?

Robertson's opportunities have come in training camp, and he has yet to take advantage of any of them. He has one chance left and I'm not expecting much. His best hope lies in his waiver status. If the Rangers think another team might claim him, they may keep him on the roster, and he could get some games due to injuries. I honestly can't foresee any other way he makes the team. More likely, he will fail once again to impress, get waived, and end up back in Hartford.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
Sure, but to be fair that was never really his game, he's never been a bone crusher, and if that's what they are trying to make him into it's a square peg in a round hole and it might be no wonder he's not successful.
I'm not disagreeing with you there but when you're not using your size and you don't offer anything unique on the offense side of the game, you become a very vanilla dman-man to the organization. From an organizations point of view, you might say "I can live with the turn overs and inconsistent play because he's tough on the boards and clears out the front very well". It's hard to say "I can live with that while Robertson is developing at the NHL level when the player is not bringing anything else to the table."

If you're going to call yourself a defensive-minded defensemen, then you need to offer something. You can't continuously be overmatched and outworked while coughing up the puck. I do think the organization hoped that he became that solid back-bone that used his size, but like you said, it wasn't his game, and there's not much to his game right now that stands out above another player.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
entirely true.

Only ? here is did Robertson fail 111% on him and him alone, or was he not sufficiently developed/given opportunity?

You re-signed the guy
Sink or swim
play him 10 or so games start of season

If he sucks, send him back down and ask if wants to be let out of his contract to pursue other options.
If not, be guided accordingly.

The thing is some players keep getting better and develop more and some don't. This isn't something that's just unique to the New York Rangers. This happens to every NHL team over and over.

The Rangers when they were down went through a period of drafting a lot of guys and it should go without saying that for most it's a 3/4/5 year period of their developing into better players and the Rangers finding a role for them on their team but it's almost always a known that in such a situation there are going to be more kids than openings they can fill so it's a bit of sorting through them deciding who's a keeper and who is not. Robertson has pretty much turned into a not and he was trending that way at least in the second year of his ELC. Compare him to Libor Hajek who got multiple chances but never could stick. The two are about the same age, 2nd round picks, same size more than less, both move fine and have the tools but neither able to put a good NHL game together or even a great AHL game. Hajek had the benefit of David Quinn's years when the Rangers D was very thin. Robertson's had better players to beat out and hasn't done it so he's not got the chance but I think what we'd get is about the same if we brought Hajek back and I wouldn't want to do that.

Still it looks like Matthew is getting at least one more chance with us and it's up to him. He needs to play better than he has.

Bruner4329

Apr 24, 2016
So what you are basically saying is you expect no growth from any of the youngsters nor think anyone coming up like a Berard or Othman can contribute. But how is this team any worse than last year;s version? Who did we lose of value?

Reactions: Pawnee Rangers

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad