Around the League - OFFSEASON?!

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Leaf Rocket

Leaf Fan Till I Die
Dec 10, 2007
Toronto/Fredericton
We have temporarily stickied a Johnny Gaudreau thread for further discussions.

Just too sad ... so many ruined families

RIP Johnny Gaudreau - Stickied for now

Such a senseless loss. Can't imagine what the parents/family are dealing with. Cruel.
forums.hfboards.com
forums.hfboards.com

Last edited by a moderator:

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
The only debate about Laine and Matthews now is who's hairline is declining faster

Laine can stabilize his offense but if he remains a liability in his own end that won't sit well in Montreal. He'll need to change his work ethic at both ends of the ice. Probably needs sheltering to get the most out of him.

Still. Laine and Caufield on the half-walls gives their PP some nice big shooters.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
I had a great time with those fanatic Finnish posters years back when I was telling them Laine's attitude issues were almost assuredly going to get in the way of his development. I'm not even kidding when I say there was one or two of them who were legitimately convinced Laine was going to exceed McDavid.

TheShape

Oct 25, 2018
waiting for the oilers blues stuff:

Doesn't sound like the Oilers will match? In that case I'm not sure why they moved on from Ceci. Unless they have plans to use the picks from compensation to upgrade on Ceci?

Either way, good stuff from the Blues.

Reactions: Leaf Rocket

VanW27

Jun 9, 2003
Canada
That's an interesting development, they clear space and then don't match on either.

The Oilers must have something else lined up.

Reactions: Darcy Tucker

Ianturnedbull

Jun 11, 2022
I understand the skepticism but there is potential there tbh. I think he'll be rejuvenated personally but yes his defensive game is just...atrocious.
He had elite-level rejuvenation in CBJ. New team, fresh attitude, great support, and then...dust.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
I am not sure why the new narrative on Laine is "wow Montreal. Nice pick up you got there".

This is risky. He cost a lot of $$$$. What is to say that his 3rd team is now the right one?

I was laughing at MTL today. Why aren't you laughing?

The Canadiens are not expected to contend for anything other than a playoffs spot.
They picked up a prime aged player with mental health issues, who is capable of scoring 40+ goals for a 24 year old, 3rd. pairing defender.

Risk is Laine goes on LTIR.

Upside he, easily, scores 30+ over a healthy season.

Habs have no idiotic contracts to handle.

Reactions: Leaf Rocket

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Odd that Edmonton moved Ceci but it was apparently they needed to shed cap anyway. Their blue line is:

Nurse, Bouchard, Kulak, Ekholm, Brown, and Emberson, Stetcher

They have $1.9 in cap space. There are some linger d-men and I bet they grab one:

- Schultz
- Barrie
- Klingberg
- Shattennirk
- Zboril
- Scandella
- DeAngelo
- Giordano

Ianturnedbull

Jun 11, 2022
The Canadiens are not expected to contend for anything other than a playoffs spot.
They picked up a prime aged player with mental health issues, who is capable of scoring 40+ goals for a 24 year old, 3rd. pairing defender.

Risk is Laine goes on LTIR.

Upside he, easily, scores 30+ over a healthy season.

Habs have no idiotic contracts to handle.
I see risk as more than just wins/losses hanging in the balance. MTL fans/media will treat him like an overpaid reclamation project if he missteps. Are they kind? No. They are not kind.

Risk is about P.R., headaches, problems that could affect other players, finding a way to trade him if he doesn't repair, etc.

I have no idea why so many think that 3 times is a charm.

Laine is a good person. He does deserve a chance. I just can't see it. He had a lot less pressure in CBJ to get his head straight. So this is going to be better in the MTL meat grinder?

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
I see risk as more than just wins/losses hanging in the balance. MTL fans/media will treat him like an overpaid reclamation project if he missteps. Are they kind? No. They are not kind.

Risk is about P.R., headaches, problems that could affect other players, finding a way to trade him if he doesn't repair, etc.

I have no idea why so many think that 3 times is a charm.

Laine is a good person. He does deserve a chance. I just can't see it. He had a lot less pressure in CBJ to get his head straight. So this is going to be better in the MTL meat grinder?

Certainly, there is risk, but it is low for a team that is in a no-lose situation.

If you want to point out their issues, it would be Anderson and Gallagher, two declining players.

Anderson is their Clarkson.

TheTotalPackage

Sep 14, 2006
Nice to see GMs actually utilize offer sheets. Also nice to see GMs walk away from players that are offer-sheeted rather than feeling this bravado of having to do whatever it takes to match.

Sometimes it works out (Kotkaniemi). Sometimes it might not (to be seen with Broberg and Holloway). Let someone else deal with it and the potential overpayment in money and term that comes with it.

Reactions: Menzinger

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad