Roster Building Thread - Part XI (Off-season edition)

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

will1066

Oct 12, 2008
Why not? They're the most talented options available that will actually take a 2 year deal, which is basically a prerequisite.

I get that they're talented and may still have some use, but they're yesteryear retreads. Like going to a car lot in 2024 and ogling the 2015 model year vehicles, even if they were high end once.

Reactions: majordomo

effen

Feb 3, 2018
Laviolette is a good coach but the Rangers room has/had bad rot that they needed a retread with no new ideas because they didn't respect Quinn or Gallant to the point they had to get fired.

Reactions: nsvoyageurs

irishlaxburger2

Jan 30, 2008
Rye, NY
I like him as a guy (just as I did Quinn and Gallant) but as far as his coaching abilities, he’s left a lot to be desired so far

Because we don’t need a top 6 winger.

We need to revamp our defense and our bottom 6
We can likely do all of the above if we only add one of Kane or Stamkos and rid ourselves of Trouba without retention.

Reactions: Atax

will1066

Oct 12, 2008
Laviolette is a good coach but the Rangers room has/had bad rot that they needed a retread with no new ideas because they didn't respect Quinn or Gallant to the point they had to get fired.

I wonder if this was one of the reasons why they didn't consider Knoblauch. Maybe they didn't think the room would respect him.

Reactions: effen

effen

Feb 3, 2018
I wonder if this was one of the reasons why they didn't consider Knoblauch. Maybe they didn't think the room would respect him.
They 100% woulda ignored his shit.

The Rangers stopped playing the 1-3-1 with any zeal around January. I don't think Laviolette stays after this year. They already turned him out, he just has better presence so they haven't openly rebelled a la Strome did with Quinn.

• Love
Reactions: will1066

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
If this group isn’t coachable and willing to “buy in,” then there are way deeper issues than the coaching.
I'm not sure what they didn't "buy in" to. They were one of the NHLs most resilient teams all season long and even had some tough comebacks in the playoffs as well.
Their flaws were things I think mostly have to do with personnel. You're not going to get Zibanejad and Kreider to play a heavy forecehcking and cycling game, you're not going to make Wennberg magically score more goals or Kakko to get out of his head once he's down the rabbit hole. You're not going to make Trouba play up to his contract or Lindgren be useful

at most I guess I'd say I wish he'd push them more to make plays on the breakout but in all I don't think I saw anything about this team as unwilling, just they weren't the same type of team as Florida (or Carolina).

The Rangers stopped playing the 1-3-1 with any zeal around January. I don't think Laviolette stays after this year. They already turned him out, he just has better presence so they haven't openly rebelled a la Strome did with Quinn.
They never played the 1-3-1 all the time and more like other teams picked it apart later on, especially in the playoffs.
How long Laviolette stays has to do with how far the Rangers go next year

effen

Feb 3, 2018
They never played the 1-3-1 all the time and more like other teams picked it apart later on, especially in the playoffs.
How long Laviolette stays has to do with how far the Rangers go next year
They religiously got in the formation, they just mostly stopped trying to impede anyone and resumed the Neutral Zone Expressway of past years this time with smaller gaps between everyone. It was really the one thing Laviolette installed other than some minor PP changes.

majordomo

Oct 29, 2023
NYC

I suspect half of the current roster will be gone after this year.

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
I know we dont need another LW but if there's one forward I'm going after... its Tkachuk. PP numbers would take a hit with Kreider here but maybe he can learn from him and take that role eventually.

He's the type of player we truly need. Is he the right fit? I'm sure we can figure it out

JimmyG89

May 1, 2010
He sucked. Wasn't anything special. Bust
He's a bottom 6 forward, but a good PK option. He's got talent, just hasn't panned out. This is one of the guys I would have went out and gotten if we had some extra mid round picks. Wanted him at the deadline as an option since he can play C as well.

Washington also getting Mangiapane sucks. Feel like he would have helped too. Aggressive player that would have fit in nicely in the top 6.

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
I know we dont need another LW but if there's one forward I'm going after... its Tkachuk. PP numbers would take a hit with Kreider here but maybe he can learn from him and take that role eventually.

He's the type of player we truly need. Is he the right fit? I'm sure we can figure it out
I would love if 3 of our top 6 wingers were Tkachuk, Perrault, Laf…….

I know he’s not talented as Matt, but Brady is good In his own right…..
He basically has the same ev strength points as Laffy this season…….
Would love to see him riding shotgun with Laffy/perrault on his right…

I also think as he gets older, he’ll cut down on the dumb penalties.
He likely wouldn’t be a captain here either which would be another good thing for him imo…..

Rangers in 7

Dec 17, 2015
Long Island
i see we are in prime summer discussions going after lavi while simulataneously thinking knoblauch would have done anything here

people seem to forget knob has the best player in the world and a perenial top 3 player in the league....give me a break

will1066

Oct 12, 2008
i see we are in prime summer discussions going after lavi while simulataneously thinking knoblauch would have done anything here

people seem to forget knob has the best player in the world and a perenial top 3 player in the league....give me a break

Panarin is a member of the all First-Team. You watch your language.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad