Roster Building Thread - Part XI (Off-season edition)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
I love the player, hate the contract. He's 33 now, and he has 4 more years on his deal @ $7m per season. I doubt Calgary will retain for 4 years either.
That's the sticking point.

I'd do a trade built on Kakko for Kadri @ 50%. would they? doubt

Reactions: Atax

Tob

Sep 16, 2017
It cost MTL a 2nd and a 7th to move up 5 spots from the 26 to 21. If we trade kakko to move up a similar amount of spots from 30 to 23-25, it'll be roughly a 2nd in value.

Reactions: will1066

will1066

Oct 12, 2008
Florida should only give Reinhart that deal if he stops with the twitching. And for the love of god, Pidto stops with the REIIIIIINHART next season.

Tob

Sep 16, 2017
I wonder if Montreal or LA can make a subsequent move to get more value kakko+30 for whatever they just did.

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
Reinhart scored the most important goal in Panthers history in game 7, after scoring 57 goals in the regular season.

9.5 cap hit.

Panarin's cap hit is 11.6... where are the rings and big playoff goals? 1 goal 2 years ago against PIT in the 1st round doesn't cut it.
Any idiot can score the cup winning goal. Panarin is a much better player, that’s why he gets paid more

Riche16

McCready guitar god
Aug 13, 2008
The Dreaded Middle
To me the only way moving Kakko to trade up a few spots in R1 makes sense is if his camp is forcing the issue.

A team trying to contend shouldn’t be trading NHLers to move up a few spots at the back end of R1.
Agree about the return but he was a healthy scratch in the playoffs for a game or two.

Lets not pretend he was integral at all this season or in the playoffs.

HatTrick Swayze

Just Be Nice
Jun 16, 2006
Chicago
Agree about the return but he was a healthy scratch in the playoffs for a game or two.

Lets not pretend he was integral at all this season or in the playoffs.

I personally think he’s a good 3rd liner right now. That’s not nothing.

Put it another way, in a vacuum it’s one step closer to Johnny Brodzinsky being a regular next year…nothing against him but that’s not the direction this should be heading right now.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
Been phone posting but have a better chance to respond now

Basically, I think Lindgren was "fine" with Fox for the first year because no one knew what they were getting with Fox yet, he wasn't considered the top D on the team, pairing him with a guy he knew made sense, and then they kept that going in year 2 which was fine. But by this point I think we can see that if Fox is the teams top defenseman, he needs a better partner. Lindgren is "mid" at best at everything...he's not big, he's not physical (in a way that matters, he's not winning lots of battles or throwing hits that scare anyone), he doesn't move the puck well, he doesn't defend particularly well, he doesn't clear the crease, he certainly doesn't facilitate offense, he doesn't deny defensive zone entries...he doesn't even take hits to make a play well (because he's always taking dangerous hits and getting hurt).
Even if we come down on the side of "Fox needs a stay at home partner to do the dirty work for him like retrieve pucks" then the Rangers can still easily upgrade over Lindgren there, because he doesn't DO any of that stuff particularly well.

He's easily upgradable. The reason he hasn't been is because he's buddies with Fox and people built up this narrative that Fox somehow needs him. But again, everything that Fox needs in a partner are things that can be done by someone other than Lindgren and done better and for probably as expensive or cheaper at this point.

Ideally the Rangers would move on. I'm worried they're going to handicap Fox for most of his career here with a guy that only does one thing acceptably well and that's be friends with the best defenseman on the team.
This is great post and describes my attitude almost to a t. I was on the point where “Lindgren's having a down season but he should be expected to bounce back and the Rangers can keep him on a long(er) deal as long as his cap hit is reasonable”.
I was maintaining this stance deep into the regular season. I still believe that Fox's partner doesn't need to be anything special on the offensive side but this playoff run proved that Lindgren is not up to par being a defensive, stay-home partner D in 1LD role. As Levi said Lindgren was Fox's partner when the Rangers surprisingly got to ECF two years ago and as a group were exhausted to push further after going 2 games up and having 2:0 lead on TBL in the second period or game 3. I also could hardly blame him specifically for last season's collapse in the first round against Devs. But this playoff run was a turning point for me (and hopefully for Drury) in the way I feel about Lindgren's qualifications to be 1LD Fox's partner and with an increase in his cap hit after his last deal - I don't see him as a cap efficient piece in 3LD role when building the overall roster. On this last point - it's the same basis for my views now re. Trouba.
I mean I really enjoyed this another run to ECF and that it's been a hugely successful season on so many levels and that the Rangers are clearly one of the best contending teams in the league but if Drury wants to help putting the team in better position to compete - it's pretty obvious what his task is for the offseason in this regard.

Last edited:

HatTrick Swayze

Just Be Nice
Jun 16, 2006
Chicago
I think he's decent. I'm not bashing him & I CERTAINLY WOULD NOT deal him to move up in this draft.

Was merely pointing to the fact that he's not integral to this team's success.

I mean sure he’s not integral.

Edited my post above but put it another way, in a vacuum it’s one step closer to Johnny Brodzinsky being a regular next year…nothing against him but that’s not the direction this should be heading right now.

effen

Feb 3, 2018
Trading Will Cuylle to move up 1 slot from 127 to 126 would be soooo stupid
Trading Artemi Panarin to move up 4 slots from 191 to 187 would be sooo stupid
Trading Your Momma to move up from a 2027 4th to a 2027 3rd would be sooo stupid

STOP IT

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad