Roster Building Thread - Part XI (Off-season edition)

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

bobbop

Henrik & Pop
Sponsor
May 27, 2004
Now, Suburban Phoenix. Then, Long Island
This offseason and next deadline are going to cement my views on Drury. Individually, I have understood pretty much every move he's made other than that first summer. And last year's trade deadline -- which I am still annoyed with.

But I'm not sure he's been great big picture. We got for it almost every year. We have a lineup that's always been a little too thin. And because we go for it every year, we have limited draft capital and a prospect cupboard that's quite thin at the most important positions D and C.

And he came in 3 years ago preaching the same thing he's preaching now -- get bigger, stronger, harder to play against. And our assets and cap space to fix the issue just are never there.

This summer and deadline and how the team is retooled for the next 2 seasons is going to make or break his legacy as GM.
We just finished the season by losing in 6 games to the eventual Stanley Cup champion. You can’t get much closer than that. Yes, Drury is going for it every year. As he should. He works for an inpatient owner and a team with several key players (Panarin, Kreider) on their career clock.

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
Yes stuff can happen. They would simply need to approach the player. If they are making a trade with Trouba, it would be logical to put it on the front burner. Trouba doesn’t have any July 1 bonuses so there’s no holdup on that end.

They can also approach the player and ask them to accept a trade to a team on their list (Buffalo?)
i dont just mean Trouba, and i don't just mean the Rangers lol i just want big blockbusters to happen

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
Been mentioned by a few people that if the Rangers are able to move Trouba that Tanev would be on their radar to replace him, which would be such a good pickup. If you made that swap while saving 3M or so on the cap which allows them to add a bigger name up front, I would be really happy with that off-season with the constraints of Zibanejads no move clause.

I like Tanev the player, but his next deal, starting at 35 years old, scares the crap out of me. He's getting 4 years from someone...

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
I don’t know if he gets 4, if so then sure I’d pass. But 2 or 3 I’d be all over that. If it’s 4 maybe the cap hit would be close to 4.

I get the sense that some idiotic GM will give him term to keep the cap hit down and this is a guy who lays it on the line every night. Anything beyond 2 years and I'm out.

Dillon, Roy, Walker are my guys

Yeah I wouldn't call his run this year awful. Last year's performance was awful, the one before that was also bad.

I wouldn't call it good either though.

This is fair.

noncents

Feb 25, 2022
Yeah I wouldn't call his run this year awful. Last year's performance was awful, the one before that was also bad.

I wouldn't call it good either though.
it wasn't good, wasn't awful, wasn't enough.

i put more blame on the 20/93 line in the florida series though, and the D.

get fox a real partner
get 2nd line a real winger who drives play

not sure what needs to happen to get the above done, trouba trade/buyout, jones trade, kakko trade, chytil trade. but those 2 things are my priorities.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
CapFriendly has an interesting tool I haven't seen before that has scouting reports for some of the players;

Matt Roy
1719508867145.png

Matt Roy Scouting Report - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

Brenden Dillon
1719508889970.png

Brenden Dillon Scouting Report - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

These are my guys

Dillon doesn't play PP< that's fine, the Rangers don't need that. He's a big, tough, hard-hitting LD and he won't require a long term commitment. 2-3 years

Reactions: noncents

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
More pissed about Zibanejad than Panarin, but he could've been better. He still has the 4th highest cap hit in the league. You expect greatness when it matters the most.

I'd say they were equally as culpable.

Z got locked down but Panarin was the 3rd best player on his line (the only line that really did anything.) He did virtually nothing 5v5 the entire series and had as many primary points as Zibanejad did.

rangers1314

May 9, 2007
Astoria, NY
EF on Trouba today.

Confirms NYR asked for his list, which is normal. But after what happened with Goodrow, Drury has shown he will do whatever he feels is best for NYR “come hell or high water”.

If you’re Trouba, you need to be aware you might be moved. “It’s possible” but not sure how likely it is. Can’t see NYR wanting to go buyout route.

Reactions: FireGerardGallant

majordomo

Oct 29, 2023
NYC
wouldn’t NYR be asking Trouba for his 15 teams regardless? Since his contract status is changing?
Rangers don't have to ask....every with any form of modified clause must submit a list by July 1. Rangers asking for list early tells me they want to be sure they don't make a tentative deal only to find out that team is on his NO list.

Reactions: Chalfdiggity3

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
EF on Trouba today.

Confirms NYR asked for his list, which is normal. But after what happened with Goodrow, Drury has shown he will do whatever he feels is best for NYR “come hell or high water”.

If you’re Trouba, you need to be aware you might be moved. “It’s possible” but not sure how likely it is. Can’t see NYR wanting to go buyout route.

Is this on 32T?

Not doubting your recollection, you're actually one of the few people who actually understands whats being said instead of picking out parts of a conversation and spreading mis information.

Reactions: Tob

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad