Roster Building Thread - Part XI (Off-season edition)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

JimmyG89

May 1, 2010
The expensive goalie won the cup. And they said it couldn’t be done.
You just need to find the next Forsling, Verhaeghe, Montour, and Reinhart before the blow up as players. Look at their cap hits and their value.

I'm not saying you cannot pay Igor, but it makes things tougher. Even 11M instead of 12-12.5 is massive.

Anything about what this team needs vanishes if what they have isn't adjusted. Overhauled defense is the main thing. I just hope Drury sees that same vision.

jerseyjinx94

I jinx players.
Jan 11, 2012
Miami, FL
I have a feeling that Lindgren re-signs soon. I think Drury goes to him and says we’re gonna trade your rights and he gives up cap to stay. Something like $3.3Mx4. I’d probably look to move on but it’s also not like I see a lot of viable alternatives

Reactions: Good Intentions

noncents

Feb 25, 2022
I have a feeling that Lindgren re-signs soon. I think Drury goes to him and says we’re gonna trade your rights and he gives up cap to stay. Something like $3.3Mx4. I’d probably look to move on but it’s also not like I see a lot of viable alternatives
if he's signed, he's gonna play with fox. and if he plays with fox we are not winning a cup.

bobbop

Henrik & Pop
Sponsor
May 27, 2004
Now, Suburban Phoenix. Then, Long Island
I wear a Gilles jersey whenever I go to Garden.....thought I was only person with one until a friend sent me a picture of a young lady at the winter classic wearing one.
I met Gilles Villemure’s daughter at a Ranger game in Las Vegas. She was wearing her fathers jersey from one of the jersey retirement games ( think it was Hadfield) she was very surprised when I told her I had seen her Dad play for the Long Island Ducks.

Adin Hill won last year . No generational 1st overall picks on that team
Jack Eichel?

mike14

Rampage Sherpa
Jun 22, 2006
Melbourne
No, they said it was rare.
Bob does bump Vasilevsky off the #2 spot ofr goalie with the highest cap hit % to win the Cup.

To get the same cap hit as Bob from this season Igor would be getting $10,533.600. Or 11,797,600 if you do it from when Bob signed his contract.

I really want to find out which way Drury jumps

Reactions: Clark Kellogg

Circus86

Sep 12, 2020

Of course it can be done. But look at the cap structure of Florida vs us.

Look at the cap and value of players like Montour, Forsling, Verhaeghe, Barkov.

Meanwhile we have anchors like Trouba at 8 who is a 7D at best. Also Panarin at 12 is overpaid for what he brings to the table during the offseason.

Every single GM in this league would take Barkov at 10 over Panarin at 11,6.

RangersFan1994

Aug 20, 2019

Meanwhile we have anchors like Trouba at 8 who is a 7D at best. Also Panarin at 12 is overpaid for what he brings to the table during the offseason.

Id take Barkov at 10 over Mika at 8.5. That is more comparable, since both are centers. Id take Tkachuk at 9.5 over Panarin at 11.6. Both are wingers.

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011

You can have one or two boat anchor contracts, but you also need some real steals. The hope for this team is that Lafreniere becomes a PPG player (at least with his 5v5 production being up there among the best of the league) and a guy like Kakko starts producing (if they keep him). Edmonton has the awful Nurse and Jack Campbell contracts, but they also have steals with Draisaitl, Hyman, RNH and Bouchard. Florida roster is a bit more balanced in this respect.

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
To me, the single most important attribute a DMan needs to have is the ability to quickly and accurately move the puck out to a teammate while under pressure. They can have average skating, they can be not very physical, but at least a modicum of puck-moving ability is a 100% necessity. Having 1 guy who can't in your Top 6 is a serious problem. Having multiple is a disaster. We had multiple. That needs to change or we'll continue to have no shot at winning a Cup.
those kind of guys get exposed when physical games ramp up and usually commit eye popping turnovers or get dominated by a heavy fast forecheck…. If you’re small, and an average skater it’s pretty tough to keep your head above water in heavy 7 game series….
If your a small puck over, that likes to an avoid contact, you better be a really good skater or like Fox ( who is the exception not the rule) be elusive as hell. We saw him look very ordinary playing injured against a team like FLA.
Odds are he would have had a lot of trouble against EDM as well if we got past them.
Fox still had elite puck moving abilities, but just making him a step or 2 slower, and loosing that elusiveness due to freaking Jensen, made him look very ordinary. He also took a pounding from FLA down low.
If a small guy isn’t an above average skater, I see the very same thing happening over and over again. Even if they can move the puck well.
Our fwds also having a problem making and receiving passes and maintaining control. Panarin whole has Elite hands and vision, didn’t want the puck on his stick for more then a second or 2 before attempting a poor shot or passing it away.
Hes a player who avoids contact. He doesn’t like the punishment. A lot of guys small in stature don’t either. They also don’t want to be injured by a larger heavier player and you can see the effect it has on their game.

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
If they want to run it back with Mika/Kreider/Panarin, they need to shed not just Lindgren but Trouba has to go too. They need his money to afford some further upgrades.

they need to split up Mika/kreider 5 v 5
and work from there ( fwd wise)
Especially if Mika is running cold again.

Mika’s game over the last few seasons has basically mirrored Panarins.
He’s largely a pass 1st player who doesn’t load up to shoot unless it’s on the man advantage.
He also avoids the middle of the ice… he’s a bit bigger so he’ll attempt more 1 v 1 battles for loose pucks but he’ll lose them a majority of the time…..
Since his concussions, his game has evolved into more skill vs will.
There was a time he used to play like a bull.
He needs 2 wingers to do the heavy lifting for him. Kreider and Mika have become too comfortable with each other and their styles of play. It’s time to shake that up cause it’s not generating any dangerous 5 v 5 offense.

Reactions: Atax

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
Of course you want an elite goalie, but you want them before they get the elite cap hit (just like you want your young guys contributing before they hit their 3rd contract).

Giguere at 13.64% of the cap at time of contract signing is the highest % goalie to win in the cap era. Vasilevsky winning his 2nd cup on 11.6% is the only other goalie above 10% of the cap at time to signing to win it. (he was just 4.79% for cup #1).
Quick (9.67% against us), Thomas (8.82), Crawford (2nd time 9.33%), Fluery (8.33%) and Holtby (8.54%) are the only other notable % numbers. Of those, only Crawford over Bishop and Holtby over Fluery (by 0.2%) had a higher cap % than the guy they beat.

8 of the 18 winning goalies have had a caphit of less than 5% of the total

On the other side of the ledger, 6 guys have had a % over 10 on the losing side, with another 2 above 8%.

I’m assuming you are giving % of cap hits at the time these contracts were signed, yes?

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia
I’m dreading a Lindgren extension. There are so many things to like about his game and character, but he’s bad at the things the Rangers need to improve at, mainly moving the puck. I also think he gets a bit overwhelmed against better players.

Is there an extension rumor cause a trade for picks then getting a new LD isn’t shocking if it happens

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
Being successful isn’t mediocre. Only one team wins it all

You said it would be a Ranger thing to do.

I think we need to stop thinking we can force this core to change who they are to win. And this IS the core. They’re locked in. And they are good. They are right there. You cannot tell me a series that was that close isn’t different when you have a Norris dman at full strength. Look at what forsling did for them.

We aren’t going to turn into Florida. So get Mika and Kreider a play maker. Kane is a clutch winning playmaker. Who’s healthy and produces and if the powerplay goes cold he can change the look of it. Maybe he even takes Mika’s spot entirely from the start.

And we need to upgrade lindgren. That’s staring us in the face. Don’t make that mistake. Make a move for a legit player. A guy that can make a play

Doomers and gloomers overtaking the narrative again here. 2:0 lead in game 3 to take 3 game lead on Tampa before running out of gas and were really close to go up 3 games to one on SC champs this year. Mediocre my ass. There’s a clear path for Drury to improve in the areas of need to give this group another legit chance next year.

Trading Kakko makes little sense. It makes even less sense to package him and a first to move up in a shitty draft.
Agree on moving up in the draft. Trade - depends on who’s coming back.

Reactions: McRanger92

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
Replace Lindgren Chytil, Kakko with players who can actually stay on the ice and produce, and we will be where Florida is now. Say what you want about our top guys but Florida shut everyone down. It's our depth guys who we are looking for answers from on an annual basis.

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
Replace Lindgren Chytil, Kakko with players who can actually stay on the ice and produce, and we will be where Florida is now. Say what you want about our top guys but Florida shut everyone down. It's our depth guys who we are looking for answers from on an annual basis.
Couldn't disagree more but whatever I guess. If we are looking at our bottom-6 guys when our top guys do f*** all, why don't we just get rid of our top players and pay Igor whatever the f*** he wants? No point in paying Panarin and Zibanejad 20 million combined if we are not going to hold them accountable when it really counts.

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
Couldn't disagree more but whatever I guess. If we are looking at our bottom-6 guys when our top guys do f*** all, why don't we just get rid of our top players and pay Igor whatever the f*** he wants? No point in paying Panarin and Zibanejad 20 million combined if we are not going to hold them accountable when it really counts.

I get that we are in our feels because we didnt win the Cup and we're somehow entitled to it, but as much as we want to kill Panarin he had the best season in Ranger history. Mika in his worst season as a Ranger still outscored that Kakko/Chytil/Lindgren group by 30 points lol. Our core is not surrounded by a good enough supporting cast. And we still won the President's trophy in a so-so year for Igor(our crutch:sarcasm:)

Barkov was a "losing player" like Mika until the Panthers surrounded him with actual talent(Bennett/Verheage/Reinhart/Tkachuk). Everyone's a loser until one day they arent.

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
For years we have gifted kakko a top 6 right wing spot only to watch him blow it and be forced to buy at the deadline. He’s had so many chances. Last year was it. We’re going to sign Kane for a couple seasons is my guess

They need actual, not theoretical, production from that lineup spot if they want to get serious.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad