Roster Building Thread - Part XI (Off-season edition)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

surlysailor

May 12, 2012
BK
Vesebone puts up ~30 points with no PP time for the league minimum. Just saying. Blake Wheelchair outscored Kakko in 13 less games played.

Kakko isnt done as an NHL player once he's gone or anything but his contributions to the teams success are being vastly overinflanted.
Yes and Wheeler had more time with CK and was slightly a better fit. He also only had 2 more pts in 7 less games, while not being as good defensively.

Vesey also did get moved up occasionally with KZ during one of his hot streaks and did get 7 more points while playing in 19 more games. Also most games the 4th line did get more minutes than the 3rd line. Also Vesey was out on the PK, which nyr were very good at putting up points during.

Also neither of those players went through an injury missing significant time in the middle of the season. So you have to account for the adjustment period getting back into the flow of the game, and again he played with offensive black holes on the 3rd line. How do you expect to put up points when mostly playing with Bonino, Wennberg, Brodz as your center. Sure Brodz shoots but rarely scores and not much of a playmaker.

IDvsEGO

Oct 11, 2016
Too many question marks for a 3rd line in my opinion. Can Cuylle produce? Can Chytil stay healthy? Can Kakko produce?

If I were betting, I do think it will be Chytil and Kakko on the line. Last time Kakko looked comfortable being a positive on ice was with Chytil. I think they need to find a good wing who can help elevate that line offensively. That's not Cuylle right now.
I’ll be lambasted but I think laine and Othmann are the perfect options to round out our top 9.

I think a laine and Trouba swap works, you give us a legit shoot first guy who can play rw or lw if needed.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
Lmao the pre-season schedule just came out and the NHL still has the Finals going. Whoever made the schedule is a clown. Season needs to end first week of June. Probably later next year due to that stupid mid season tournament.

Bacon Artemi Bravo

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 20, 2007
Adding BT/Tuch + Chych or similar caliber Dman to the roster should be the goal. Obviously we won't quite get there, but this org should be reaching for the moon. Good start shedding $3.6M.

Reactions: McRanger92

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
The best one year options are to trade for rentals because the quality of player is much better and you can effectively build a team that would not be close to cap compliant earlier in the year.
Trade for rentals with what capital?

Reactions: majordomo

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
Get me Chychrun and move out Lindgren.

Also don't sleep on Berard. I can see him getting a long look in camp this year.
don't understand how our best prospect is being left out (ok tied with Perreault). Kid was dynamic last year in the 2nd toughest league in the world.
If his game translates to the NHL this is exactly the type of player we need playing up and down the lineup.
I hope he can be our Stankoven.

Ruggs225

Oct 15, 2007
Long Island, NY
Lmao the pre-season schedule just came out and the NHL still has the Finals going. Whoever made the schedule is a clown. Season needs to end first week of June. Probably later next year due to that stupid mid season tournament.
And on e again the pre-season goes into october. The regular season should start on October 1.

It probably wont start until the 10th judging by our preseason schedule.

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
Yes and Wheeler had more time with CK and was slightly a better fit. He also only had 2 more pts in 7 less games, while not being as good defensively.

Vesey also did get moved up occasionally with KZ during one of his hot streaks and did get 7 more points while playing in 19 more games. Also most games the 4th line did get more minutes than the 3rd line. Also Vesey was out on the PK, which nyr were very good at putting up points during.

Also neither of those players went through an injury missing significant time in the middle of the season. So you have to account for the adjustment period getting back into the flow of the game, and again he played with offensive black holes on the 3rd line. How do you expect to put up points when mostly playing with Bonino, Wennberg, Brodz as your center. Sure Brodz shoots but rarely scores and not much of a playmaker.

Vesey. Wheeler and Kakko all got time in the top6 and the shitty bottom 6 with generally the same players and Kakko didnt distinguish himself from the other 2. All im saying. He needs a big breakout to be irreplaceable at 2.4.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
don't understand how our best prospect is being left out (ok tied with Perreault). Kid was dynamic last year in the 2nd toughest league in the world.
If his game translates to the NHL this is exactly the type of player we need playing up and down the lineup.

Tied? Lol.

Perreault is a clear #1. I say this as the OG member of the Brett Berard fan club.

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
Rangers need a top 6 wing badly, I think they cleared Goodrow to make room for a splash. There are obvious tiers I see.

Pipe Dream trade candidates
Brady Tkachuk - seemingly not available yet, Rangers dont have the means to be the best offer if he does
Alex Tuch - perfect fit and NYR were interested enough for it to come up at the deadline. Not sure why Sabres trade him for less than a massive overpay (Schneider++)
Martin Necas - prop not a pipe dream, but I guy i'd be all over. Long term young RW weve been waiting for our prospects to develop into. Also would be nice to pilfer him from the Canes.

Mid-30s vets who can still play
Steven Stamkos - Can still score, looked like injuries were catching up to him but hes only missed 2 games the last 3 years. We'll see if Tampa lets him hit the market but I expect the Rangers to be very involved if he does.
Jonathan Marchessault - Fits the same mold as Stammer. Vegas needs to clear cap to keep him but I think thats a higher liklihood than Stammer staying in tampa

High-priced UFAs
Jake Guentzel - The path of least resistance. Obviously skilled ES scorer and playoff performer. NYR have had interest recently. I think his style fits seamlesslu with laff and trocheck, so Im not too concerned about a long term deal.
Sam Reinhart - Great player but kinda plays Kreider's role on special teams so not sure its a seamless fit. I would let it be Florida's problem paying a guy UFA money after a 57 goal season, but hes technically an option.

The Rest
Tyler Toffoli - Dime store version of Stammer/JAM. A guy who is more of a 30 goal player than 40, but has still won and performed in the playoffs throughout his career. He can't be the only move if he's the target imo, but hes not a terrible option.
Jake DeBrusk - Meh
Tyler Bertuzzi - Maple Leafs just tried it. Meh.

I wouldn't call DeBrusk meh. He was probably the Bruins best player vs the Panthers. Not sure what it would cost to get him (probably too much) But he is the type of Player I would love Cuylle to become.

Tied? Lol.

Perreault is a clear #1. I say this as the OG member of the Brett Berard fan club.
Perreault is a terrific talent but what Berard did last year in Hartford is exactly what this team needs. I am excited just as much as the next about Perreault but I am pumping the brakes until I see him in Hartford in 2 years.

surlysailor

May 12, 2012
BK
Vesey. Wheeler and Kakko all got time in the top6 and the shitty bottom 6 with generally the same players and Kakko didnt distinguish himself from the other 2. All im saying. He needs a big breakout to be irreplaceable at 2.4.
That's fair, and I'm not opposed to trading him, I'm just saying trading unless Drury gets something of actual value back from him it doesn't seem like the best time to trade him. Yes he's not on the same caliber as Buch but to me this feels like Buch. Everyone knows he's on the move so teams are going to lowball Drury. I just. hope he doesn't take that lowball offer.

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
othmann is not our best prospect and it’s not particularly close lol

I think people need to pump the brakes on the expectations for him cause he probably won’t meet them.

OriginalLimbo

May 27, 2019
Rangers need a top 6 wing badly, I think they cleared Goodrow to make room for a splash. There are obvious tiers I see.

Pipe Dream trade candidates
Brady Tkachuk - seemingly not available yet, Rangers dont have the means to be the best offer if he does
Alex Tuch - perfect fit and NYR were interested enough for it to come up at the deadline. Not sure why Sabres trade him for less than a massive overpay (Schneider++)
Martin Necas - prop not a pipe dream, but I guy i'd be all over. Long term young RW weve been waiting for our prospects to develop into. Also would be nice to pilfer him from the Canes.

Mid-30s vets who can still play
Steven Stamkos - Can still score, looked like injuries were catching up to him but hes only missed 2 games the last 3 years. We'll see if Tampa lets him hit the market but I expect the Rangers to be very involved if he does.
Jonathan Marchessault - Fits the same mold as Stammer. Vegas needs to clear cap to keep him but I think thats a higher liklihood than Stammer staying in tampa

High-priced UFAs
Jake Guentzel - The path of least resistance. Obviously skilled ES scorer and playoff performer. NYR have had interest recently. I think his style fits seamlesslu with laff and trocheck, so Im not too concerned about a long term deal.
Sam Reinhart - Great player but kinda plays Kreider's role on special teams so not sure its a seamless fit. I would let it be Florida's problem paying a guy UFA money after a 57 goal season, but hes technically an option.

The Rest
Tyler Toffoli - Dime store version of Stammer/JAM. A guy who is more of a 30 goal player than 40, but has still won and performed in the playoffs throughout his career. He can't be the only move if he's the target imo, but hes not a terrible option.
Jake DeBrusk - Meh
Tyler Bertuzzi - Maple Leafs just tried it. Meh.
If Skinner is bought out as rumored, he would be great on a cheaper contract.

bhamill

Sponsor
Apr 16, 2012
Redden-esque would be the equivalent of paying him upwards of 10mil in todays dollars lol crazy contract in hindsight.

I think with Zadorov there is a lot of hyperbolic statements about his play, however, its hard to argue the point that he is a nice player at 3.5 but and albatross at 6. Rangers are going to be looking at guys who have size and can skate though. The pool is limited.

Schneider & Perrault for Tuch is what I came up with in my head. Unless the Sabres would inexplicably take Trouba.
I'm not trading Perrault for Tuch even straight up.
Tuch is a nice player, but he hit PPG+ once in his career. was never close otherwise, including THIS season at 0.78 PPG... and 12 of his 59 points were on the PP.
We have exactly ONE prospect with star ceiling/potential we shouldn't be trading him in a package for a Tuch.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
Dynamic? He had a decent rookie season, but lets not get carried away. Gabe is also head and shoulders better.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
I wouldn't call DeBrusk meh. He was probably the Bruins best player vs the Panthers. Not sure what it would cost to get him (probably too much) But he is the type of Player I would love Cuylle to become.

Perreault is a terrific talent but what Berard did last year in Hartford is exactly what this team needs. I am excited just as much as the next about Perreault but I am pumping the brakes until I see him in Hartford in 2 years.

I doubt Perreault spends a day in Hartford.

Reactions: bhamill

bhamill

Sponsor
Apr 16, 2012
Cuylle-Chytil-Kakko
Edstrom-Brodzinski-Vesey
Rempe

You can pretty much pencil that in as next years bottom 6. I dont see the need to add a veteran presence pre-deadline, but you can on the cheap if Kakko gets dealt. That would open up competition for Berard and Othmann. Drury brought up that they had some young players knocking on the door to make the bottom 6 more physical, and Ill take his word for it. Dont spend cap or assets on bottom 6 players at this critical time in our window
I've wanted to see what 50-72-24 could do since the start of the season.

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
Dynamic? He had a decent rookie season, but lets not get carried away. Gabe is also head and shoulders better.
Honestly did you watch him in Hartford this season? There is no comparison between him and Othmann 5 on 5.
Guy was probably best player we had at creating offense, carrying the puck thru the neutral zone and getting to he dirty areas.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
I would prefer he did unless he spends two more years at BC.

Why?

His game is ready. If he turns pro it means his body is as well.

There’s no need to send a guy to Hartford for the sake of it. I’m guessing they’re going to need what he brings in an ELC really, really soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad