Roster Building Thread - Part XI (Off-season edition)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
See I don’t understand. What would guentzel have done to stop our defense from getting caved in??? Would he have been on the powerplay where he’s most effective ? No? Then I just don’t see what he would have done. It’s a team issue. The perimeter play for years, not going to the net, etc. unwillingness to go to the dirty areas.
In my opinion the rangers played good enough D and Igor was amazing. My problem with the team was the unwillingness to got attack the net. And in that regard I agree Guentzel would have helped. That said, I don’t think it would have been enough and the price would have been ridiculous.

Reactions: Ratelleitlikeitis

Anthony5967

Dec 24, 2015
Strong Island, NY
HockeyStatMiner put out his offseason excel with depth chart and yea, it looks like it'll be the same team next year. Until Drury actually has the balls to do it, I can't see him dumping the captain. It'll be same team.

LaffyTaffy13

May 10, 2022
Yes, it’s pretty funny and they talk lots of hockey, it’s Toronto focused but they talk about everything in sports, lots of hockey insider segments and a bunch of good laughs along the way
Did they mention any of the stuff I posted? What episode? Will give it a listen in the car this morning

savebyrichter94

Every Profound Spirit Needs A Mask
Sep 14, 2008
PA
Did they mention any of the stuff I posted? What episode? Will give it a listen in the car this morning
I’m assuming he was referring to their opinions of the guys on the leafs, Brodie was bad all year and they weren’t fans of his outside of he’s a good team guy etc, they seem to like Domi more but they themselves are worried about giving him term

NYRFAN218

King
May 2, 2007
New York, NY
Adding Guentzel would have obviously helped but I'm not sure that put this team over the top in that series. The problems run deeper all the way to the backend and breaking Florida's forecheck/making a good first pass. Their best/only legitimate puck movers were Adam Fox playing on one knee and Gustafsson. Trouba handles the puck like an idiot, Lindgren is not a puck mover, Miller is a better skater than passer out of the zone, and Schneider is okay but even he struggles under pressure with the puck. They could not handle the 2 forecheckers below the circles and the D's inability to move the puck out quickly and efficiently killed them all series long. I'm not sure how well Zac Jones would have held up against the physicality but his puck moving ability would have helped big time.

On Goodrow, really hoping his playoffs baits some team into taking on that contract even with retention. A buyout of Trouba and a Goodrow trade with 600K in retention gets 2 not very good players off the roster while freeing up $7 million.

Bruner4329

Apr 24, 2016
I'm not shitting on the kid, but those attributes you mention are great for a player that will benefit from a play driver.

I think a full year with Chytil and a better RW could get him to 15+ and 15+
A full year with Chytil. As far as we know Chytil may never be what he was or could have been. This is a huge question mark for next season. The guy was out most of the year and still has struggles. Depending on him in a FT role next season would be a huge mistake and risky. If he isn't now he is one big hit from retirement. Anyone who thinks Drury can depend on him next season to fill a big role is delusional. If he somehow does come back it would be a big time upside but at this point the odds are not trending that way.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
Alright here goes, based on AFP Projections:

1717420780709.png

Trouba to Nashville for Lauzon + 2nd '24 + 2nd '25 + 3rd '25
Lindgren to Utah for 2nd '24 + 2nd '25 + 3rd '25
Goodrow + Kakko to CHI to NYI 1st

Signings:
Roy - 5 years
Dillon - 2 years
Kylington - 1 year
Bertuzzi - 5 years

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island

View attachment 879051

Signings:
Roy - 5 years
Dillon - 2 years
Kylington - 1 year
Bertuzzi - 5 years

Trouba is almost certainly closer to having negative value than being traded for THREE high picks. Lauzon is not even a bad contract going back the other way and if NSH wanted to clear space by getting rid of him they could easily buy him out and just have a 667k cap hit.

bigdog16

Nov 7, 2013
USA

View attachment 879051

Signings:
Roy - 5 years
Dillon - 2 years
Kylington - 1 year
Bertuzzi - 5 years
Trouba does not come close to getting that return. And Kakko alone doesn’t bring back a 1st, attaching Goodrow to him certainly doesnt

noncents

Feb 25, 2022

View attachment 879051

Signings:
Roy - 5 years
Dillon - 2 years
Kylington - 1 year
Bertuzzi - 5 years
i don't love bertuzzi for 5 years.

i do actually like the other moves you have, it's a nice pick haul of 1 1st, 4 2nds, 2 3rds? i dont think these guys have that kind of value but who knows eh

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
I'm equally baffled and humored to the negative reaction NYR twitter has had (not unanimously, but more so than I would have expected) to the idea of trading Lindgren.

It's taken a while but the general perception on Trouba has come around to what it basically is here. But no the guy whose worse and bleeds is a must keep because he plays hard.

Guess some people just haven't learned from Girardi and Staal.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
I'm equally baffled and humored to the negative reaction NYR twitter has had (not unanimously, but more so than I would have expected) to the idea of trading Lindgren.

It's taken a while but the general perception on Trouba has come around to what it basically is here. But no the guy whose worse and bleeds is a must keep because he plays hard.

Lindgren is a weird one because of who he plays with. If you just are a casual fan, you see him as effective or slightly over played based on his chemistry with Fox. What the underlying numbers tell you is that he is being carried around by Fox and that he is a net negative on that pairing.

But he tries hard and blocks shots, etc. I can see why someone who isn't as 'in the weeds' as many of us here would see him as a valuable core piece.

Reactions: surlysailor

Bacon Artemi Bravo

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 20, 2007
He was playing through an injury to finish the season, it's clear as day. He's 30 years old and he has been a top-4 physical d-man for years. Many teams will be interested if he's made available, especially for 2 years. Not every team can attract UFA's like the Rangers can...
I'm fine with it, if someone wants him. The injury thing might be true but doesn't solve his problems. He makes terrible decisions and cant make a first pass to save his life. He consistently makes his D-partners look worse as well. I think he is a 6-7th dman on a middle of the pack team. Maybe you're right that someone wants him(who is not on his NTC list of 15 teams), I hope you are. Point is that, if there is no trade to be found, buying him out should be on the table.

Reactions: NYR Viper

noncents

Feb 25, 2022
kakko + trouba to Ana
Frost to Ana
Zegras to Phi
Sanheim to NYR
Vatrano to NYR

eh never mind it's ass

surlysailor

May 12, 2012
BK
Lindgren is a weird one because of who he plays with. If you just are a casual fan, you see him as effective or slightly over played based on his chemistry with Fox. What the underlying numbers tell you is that he is being carried around by Fox and that he is a net negative on that pairing.

But he tries hard and blocks shots, etc. I can see why someone who isn't as 'in the weeds' as many of us here would see him as a valuable core piece.
I agree with this. He def has value. Not necessarily Buff but a team like them. A team that wants to build an identity of putting it all not he line (even if they're not that good) will want a player like him. I think Trouba has a fair amount of value, esp with retention. For all the flack he gets here because we see him everyday, he's marketed like a great leader, who lays out huge hits. He might not get a first, hell even a 2nd but I think there's some teams that would take him at 6 mil and even more at 4 mil for 2 seasons if nyr can stomach retaining half on his salary, or take a player like Gudbrandson back and buy him out.

DialUp

Big Bauds
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2012
NYC

Lindgren shouldn't be on anyone's first pair. If Lindgren was a 3rd pair guy, I don't think his name would be on anyone's lips. We absolutely shouldn't pay him.
Would be a miracle, but going into next year with Fox and Schneider as your only returning defensemen with Jones getting reps would be the dice roll I would be thrilled with. K'Andre has all the physical tools but maybe it's a mental thing he just can't get over. I am not sure what we would be missing other than minutes if he goes. If he manages to figure it out, he can be a *great* player for a few years, but I just can't see it.
Laf figured it out, maybe K'Andre can? Maybe the tolls of being a pro prevents that next step?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad