Roster Building Thread - Part XI (Off-season edition)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kravtsov420

May 4, 2019
Its probably already been mentioned but Carp brought up a good point on twitter. We really should have done whatever it took to grab Guentzel at the deadline. Instead we have Wennberg and other bottom 6 players being inserted on our top line in the ECF
See I don’t understand. What would guentzel have done to stop our defense from getting caved in??? Would he have been on the powerplay where he’s most effective ? No? Then I just don’t see what he would have done. It’s a team issue. The perimeter play for years, not going to the net, etc. unwillingness to go to the dirty areas.

LaffyTaffy13

May 10, 2022
Heres what I think is realistic heading this summer.

1) trade lindgren and kakko to San Jose for Penguins 1st.
2) sign max domi for 2 X $3.6 (all numbers and terms used here are per AFP analytics) Brings much needed grit, and just as important flexibility to play RW and Center. Very important due to Chytil’s health uncertainty.
3) sign TJ Brodie 2 X $3.6. He had a step back this year but paired with fox will be solid and better than paying lindgren more money with more term.
4) Schneider 2X$2

Kreider-Mika-Laff
Panarin-Trocheck-Domi
Cuylle-Chytil-Vesey
Edstrom-Goodrow-Rempe
Brodz

Brodie-fox
Kandre-schneider
Jones-trouba
Robertson

Igor
Quick

Leaves us about $1.5 in cap space which accural wise will allow us to be quite active at the deadline with around $6.5 mill in cap space to acquire a top pairing LD to bump brodie to 3rd pair and also add a big middle 6 forward. At 50% retained this would allow us to get guys like chychrun for a 1st at 50% retained and then yianni gourde at 50% retained for ______.

Last edited:

Kravtsov420

May 4, 2019
I'm sure it's been said, but I'd ship Trouba off to anywhere that doesn't require adding an asset to move him.

I would seriously entertain moving Miller for Necas or comparable player who can play C (not Zegras). He has a ton of promise, but his play isn't matching what his skill shows.

Move Chytil full time to W. I like him, but if he can't stay healthy, it leaves way too much of a hole on the roster. Maybe slap him with Zib and Kreider. They can figure it out (or not, wouldn't be any different than another season of "finding a winger to fit" with them).

Target guys like Texier who are versatile, need contracts, but are going to be blocked at their position.

Stay the hell away from the "big" names already being floated. Keep the wrong Tkachuk the hell away from the Rangers. I'd rather have Marner - at least he's good in the regular season.

The team doesn't need more plugger clowns. They lost because they are 1 deep in their top 4 D, and Fox might as well have had a leg amputated. They lost because Panarin decided to finally take a playoff shot on goal with 2 minutes left in his season and the game already over. They lost because the powerplay decided once again that the best time to disappear is the Conference Finals.

They didn't lose because the Panthers out hit them. They lost because their transition game is slow as shit. Find puck carriers and movers for the big guns who aren't going anywhere. Not more guys who can "hit."

I think Rempe might be something one day, but having a guy play 5 minutes a game to be targeted by the refs for existing is not a playoff strategy that wins. Need less of that and more players.

Shesty should have ripped everyone not named Laf a new one in the locker room.
Not only the transition game but also the willingness to play below the dots and in the crease.

Reactions: Kocur Dill

bbny

Unregistered User
Apr 12, 2019
People are too quick to blow things up IMO. McDavid has been in this league for like 9 years and he is still searching for his first cup. They keep failing. Eventually they will win one.

Comes down to age and a few other things

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
If Trouba can't land a trade, is a Buyout with a $4/4/2/2M hit worth it? I'm leaning towards yes as it still frees up $4/4/6/6M in cap hit, but also stops the coach from actually playing him in meaningful minutes.

He was basically directly responsible for how many GA in the Panthers series from dumbass mistakes?

Then again, if what Boyle said is true and coaching moved towards a Man defense, that sort of explains how out of position they constantly were. We don't have a mobile D that can keep up to that level. If that exposed Trouba and the rest, unsure if that changes anything..
Buyout saves $4m the last two years of the deal but it’s a straight $2m debit the last two years since Trouba would have been zero otherwise. Minor point but just to be clear.

Reactions: Michal and bl02

DanielBrassard

It's all so tiresome
May 6, 2014
PA from SI

2) sign max domi for 2 X $3.6 (all numbers and terms used here are per AFP analytics) Brings much needed grit, and just as important flexibility to play RW and Center. Very important due to Chytil’s health uncertainty.
3) sign TJ Brodie 2 X $3.6. He had a step back this year but paired with fox will be solid and better than paying lindgren more money with more term.
4) Schneider 2X$2

Kreider-Mika-Laff
Panarin-Trocheck-Domi
Cuylle-Chytil-Vesey
Edstrom-Goodrow-Rempe
Brodz

Brodie-fox
Kandre-schneider
Jones-trouba
Robertson

Igor
Quick

Leaves us about $1.5 in cap space which accural wise will allow us to be quite active at the deadline with around $6.5 mill in cap space to acquire a top pairing LD to bump brodie to 3rd pair and also add a big middle 6 forward. At 50% retained this would allow us to get guys like chychrun for a 1st at 50% retained and then yianni gourde at 50% retained for ______.
That forward core is pretty underwhelming. Plus more Trouba and a washed TJ Brodie. I’d rather just tank.

huerter

Aug 16, 2020

4) Schneider 2X$2

Kreider-Mika-Laff
Panarin-Trocheck-Domi
Cuylle-Chytil-Vesey
Edstrom-Goodrow-Rempe
Brodz

Brodie-fox
Kandre-schneider
Jones-trouba
Robertson

Igor
Quick

Tell me you don’t listen to Overdrive without telling me you don’t listen to Overdrive.

• Haha
Reactions: savebyrichter94

Kaapo Cabana

Next name: Admiral Kakkbar
Sep 5, 2014
Philadelphia
What is the site that projects contracts for next year? I can’t recall it off hand.

Guys I’m intrigued by:

Matt Roy
Brenden Dillon
Nikita Zadorov
Oliver Kylington
OEL
Brady Skjei

Tyler Bertuzzi
Jonathan Marchessault
Alexander Barabanov
Teddy Blueger
Brendan Duhaime
David Perron

I’m also not particularly afraid of starting the year with Brodzinski as this teams 4c. He skates well and doesn’t shy away from physical contact and is pretty good on faceoffs.
I'd love most for Edstrom to take that spot.

Reactions: deathb4disco

JimmyG89

May 1, 2010

This should be the easiest move of the offseason.

And a necessary one. If they don't take back any of his salary, we will have a nice chunk to hit free agency with or be able to absorb a bigger contract in a trade for an impact player.

Will be interesting to see what teams he will submit, but I'd be trying to send him back to San Jose since they're going to need to hit the floor.

n8

WAAAAAAA!!!
Nov 7, 2002
san francisco
Visit site
Because they got healthy and Skinner went into one of his phases where every other shot doesn't go in the net.

It was coming even if they kept Woodcroft.
The problem with this statement is that how soon would it have come? If the Oilers lose 6 games instead of winning those 6 games, then maybe St Louis squeezes into the playoffs and the Oilers don't even get a shot at the playoffs. The Oilers seemed pretty checked out with Woodcroft. Knoblauch's arrival was much needed just for the fresh start.

Reactions: bl02

n8

WAAAAAAA!!!
Nov 7, 2002
san francisco
Visit site
So who’s the ufa RW for Zib and Kreider ?

Detroit may fit Trouba
Would have to take a Holl back though
I admit to be more optimistic than many here. I think if we are retaining half on Trouba, we could send him to Utah for the return of our 2025 2nd and 3rd picks. Their defense is so bad. They're in a new town, and the boom Trouba can lay down is going to get the fans out of their seats.

Reactions: Nyr88nyg

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
Fair clarification. Worded and phrased it completely wrong for years 3 and 4.
Either way I don’t think a buyout is crazy if indeed this is the Trouba we experience going forward. I’m still hopeful his awful playoff performance was due to an injury and he can redeem himself going forward. And even if not I’d prefer to avoid dead cap somehow. But there are indeed some reasonable options on the table.

Reactions: qwertyaas and bl02

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Here's the thing that gets me. We need a puck mover people call for Zac Jones but then in the same breath people are talking about the big D-men on Florida. Which one is it? Frankly big D-men that are mobile and can move the puck aren't common and when they exist they don't get moved easily.

n8

WAAAAAAA!!!
Nov 7, 2002
san francisco
Visit site
Trouba at 50% to Utah for the return of the Rangers 2025 2nd & 3rd picks
Goodrow to NSH for a 2024 4th
Lindgren to SJ for 2024 NJ 2nd (I believe in you Drury, plus SJ's defense is also in dire need of help from a "Presidents Trophy 1st pair LD" :naughty:)

Sign Dylan DeMelo & Brendan Dillon, Jones promoted full time.

surlysailor

May 12, 2012
BK
They need to start acquiring players with a certain character profile, similar to the types they have been drafting. Size speed tenacity.

There is no other road forward for this team. East-West does not work in the playoffs. They need to transition into a North-South type team.

I would even try Miller as a F before inevitably trading him.
I do feel like after winning the lottery they did start drafting for that mindset. It started with Cuylle, then they drafted rempe, othmann, Karpa, syky, rooebroek etc… Besides Gabe(and this is not a knock at him at all, I love that pick) they’re def trying to build an identity through the system instead of trying to pay for it in FA.

Kocur Dill

picklicious
Feb 7, 2010
And a necessary one. If they don't take back any of his salary, we will have a nice chunk to hit free agency with or be able to absorb a bigger contract in a trade for an impact player.

Will be interesting to see what teams he will submit, but I'd be trying to send him back to San Jose since they're going to need to hit the floor.

My guess? Calgary desperately needs to make the playoffs. Bet they consider a Goodrow/Coleman reunion.

bigdog16

Nov 7, 2013
USA
See I don’t understand. What would guentzel have done to stop our defense from getting caved in??? Would he have been on the powerplay where he’s most effective ? No? Then I just don’t see what he would have done. It’s a team issue. The perimeter play for years, not going to the net, etc. unwillingness to go to the dirty areas.
He certainly could have gotten Mika and Kreider going

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
A lot of those guys would cost money. They might be able to get Kylington on the cheap as he had a meh year.

He's not much of a Lindgren upgrade though.

Chatfield for 4 years/$3.6 per? That's a steal. If he hits the market you make him that offer and run.
Lindgren>>Chatfield.

• Haha
Reactions: tiggles
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad