Roster Building Thread - Part XI (Off-season edition)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
This is a serious question, by the way. He’s right handed and we’re likely stuck with him, so might as well try to make the most of it.

Maybe the answer to finding a player to play with Mika and Kreider isn’t finding a RW. It’s moving Mika to RW and finding a Center who drives play.
If we could find a center that drives play I would just want Mika gone period. Don't need him at RW. I highly doubt that's gonna turn him into an effective goal scorer in the playoffs.
Unfortunately to Chytil's health status Mika is kind of a shitty insurance policy because we need a another center.

Reactions: irishlaxburger2

irishlaxburger2

Jan 30, 2008
Rye, NY
He is too soft. Do you really think even at his size, and his soft play, he would be really good trying to get pucks off the boards and be good with his board work and in the corners. Too much of a perimeter player for that
See that’s exactly the point. He wants to be a perimeter player. He already is a perimeter player. Let him be one by playing the wing.

And if you think that means he gets worse 5v5, my question is how? And does it even matter? It can’t get any worse than sub 40% xGF and 8 5v5 goals in 82 games.

If we could find a center that drives play I would just want Mika gone period. Don't need him at RW. I highly doubt that's gonna turn him into an effective goal scorer in the playoffs.
Unfortunately to Chytil's health status Mika is kind of a shitty insurance policy because we need an another center.
The answer for sure wouldn’t/shouldn’t be Chytil unfortunately.

Captain Monglobster

Nov 9, 2005
They need to start acquiring players with a certain character profile, similar to the types they have been drafting. Size speed tenacity.

There is no other road forward for this team. East-West does not work in the playoffs. They need to transition into a North-South type team.

I would even try Miller as a F before inevitably trading him.

UnSandvich

Sep 7, 2017
Running Trocheck-Danault-Chytil down the middle would just be turning back the clock to the days of Stepan-Brassard-Hayes. It is not championship caliber center depth.

It's an upgrade over Trocheck-Zibanejad-Chytil at least.

Anthony5967

Dec 24, 2015
Strong Island, NY
I'll be honest with you, and Brooks makes this point and he's right, but it's time to construct a legit shutdown checking line. Zibanejad and Kreider will never drive play at a rate we would need to win anything if they're being used as matchup guys. What was the purpose of acquiring Wennberg and never trying him with Vesey and Goodrow as a checking line? That's a Lavi problem.

I also think we saw some big time bright spots en route to being the most consistent team all year. Schneider is a top-4 d-man next year, and I doubt they can revert back to 3RD after they demoted Trouba multiple times. The organization has to know and see that 8 is a guy they have to move on from. $8M for a third pair d-man is insane. Wonder if Boston would do a Lindholm for Lindgren swap to cut salary, or a deal centered around a guy like Lohrei. Fact is, the NYR need a bigger d-man to play next to Fox if they're not going to get another quality puck-mover.

Zibanejad and Kreider are going nowhere, let's be real. What 1C option is out there? Eriksson-Ek? Danault for Zibanejad? None of these move the needle. Ugh, so many questions.

Reactions: TheDirtyH

HANK30

Tom Brady 4-3 in SBs without Patriot cheating
Because he can skate, is still the best net front presence in the game, is a leader, and scores 40 goals a year, many of which are big goals. Those are good reasons to keep a guy that makes 6.5 mil a year. The real question is why would anybody want to trade him.

Kreider is the reason we even advanced to the ECF. Carolina should have beaten us and would have if if weren't for his heroics in game 6.

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
I'll be honest with you, and Brooks makes this point and he's right, but it's time to construct a legit shutdown checking line. Zibanejad and Kreider will never drive play at a rate we would need to win anything if they're being used as matchup guys. What was the purpose of acquiring Wennberg and never trying him with Vesey and Goodrow as a checking line? That's a Lavi problem.

They didn't have room to play Wennberg on the 4th line because the fanbase, media, and coaching staff bought in to the narrative that Rempe had to play almost every game for "energy" and then took up a spot on the line.

Reactions: Ail

bbny

Unregistered User
Apr 12, 2019
Because he can skate, is still the best net front presence in the game, is a leader, and scores 40 goals a year, many of which are big goals. Those are good reasons to keep a guy that makes 6.5 mil a year. The real question is why would anybody want to trade him.

It’s simple. The gap is big enough between this team and ones that can go the distance where closing that gap is not fully solvable in one summer with the contracts they have, so you have to look 2-3 years down the road. In 2 years, Kreider will be 35 and 1 year from UFA and possible retirement. He’s on a good contract and another team will pay through the nose for it. Also consider he’s likely to decline at this stage of his career. I like Kreider so this is coming from a place of appreciation for his value to a team.

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
please

If his last name wasn’t Tkachuk, people wouldn’t give two f***s about him. He’s not his brother, despite what you people want to believe

I'm actually pretty sure that regardless of what his name is people would be interested in an extremely physical player who has scored 2.41 pts/60 the last two years (33rd in the league min 1000 mins). He's actually a pretty clear 1st line wing and great player, despite what you people want to believe.

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
I'm actually pretty sure that regardless of what his name is people would be interested in an extremely physical player who has scored 2.41 pts/60 the last two years (33rd in the league min 1000 mins). He's actually a pretty clear 1st line wing and great player, despite what you people want to believe.
Great, he’s also a LW when we already have close to 20 million locked in already in the top 6

So what are we doing here

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
Great, he’s also a LW when we already have close to 20 million locked in already in the top 6

So what are we doing here

Yes he's also unavailable. I don't know why people would bring him up.

That's also not the point. I have seen this trend around these boards for many years. According to this forum like 98% of the league is terrible. Essentially the logic goes like this: Do you want this player on the team? If, no, the player is actually secretly terrible no matter how good his stats may be.

Reactions: kovazub94

Tob

Sep 16, 2017
my mind trying to figure out how to get rid of zibanejad who has a NMC, loves NYC, sells tickets to casuals, and has no desirability around the league at 31 years old
backpack-kid-backpack-kid-dance.gif

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia
So who’s the ufa RW for Zib and Kreider ?

Detroit may fit Trouba
Would have to take a Holl back though

LeetchisGod

This is a bad hockey team.
May 21, 2009
Washington, DC
I like Laviolette more than I thought I would, but man Kris Knoblauch was in our organization a few months ago and now he looks to be taking this Oilers team to the Stanley Cup Finals.

That stings a bit.
He wouldn't have had McJesus and Draisaitl here. Not to mention that the Oilers have gotten to face a crappy Kings team, Vancouver with a injured Petersson and a Dallas team with nothing left in the tank.

Reactions: UnSandvich

LiveLongandProspal

NY Rangers = America's Team
May 29, 2010
New York City
He wouldn't have had McJesus and Draisaitl here. Not to mention that the Oilers have gotten to face a crappy Kings team, Vancouver with a injured Petersson and a Dallas team with nothing left in the tank.

The Oilers are of course loaded with talent and top-10 picks, but they look lightyears better under Knoblauch than they did under Woodcroft.

jerseyjinx94

I jinx players.
Jan 11, 2012
Miami, FL
I’m a little bit intrigued to see what Drury does, if it’s a major change or a minor tweak. I feel like his options are somewhat limited

Tob

Sep 16, 2017
can someone like, if you have time, look up every brooks article the day after the rangers are eliminated in the last 2-3 years and see what he said?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad