Roster Building Thread - Part XI (Off-season edition)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

surlysailor

May 12, 2012
BK
Its probably already been mentioned but Carp brought up a good point on twitter. We really should have done whatever it took to grab Guentzel at the deadline. Instead we have Wennberg and other bottom 6 players being inserted on our top line in the ECF
Guentz would’ve been nice but he wouldn’t t have put this team over the top. Z would still constantly differ to ck, he’s be on pp2 and get hardly anytime there and he helped Carolina but couldn’t get them past nyr. I like guentz but I just don’t think anyone is the savior to helping ck & Z expect for splitting them up at 5v5

irishlaxburger2

Jan 30, 2008
Rye, NY
Need to draft and develop those kind of centers. They don't grow on trees. Rangers have a zillion wings. Time to work on centers.
This is why the Perrault pick is one I’m not super excited about. I’m not saying it was a bad pick or that a better center was available. Neither are true. But he’s exactly the type of player the Rangers have had for years. Extremely high skill. Extremely high IQ. Average skater. Lacks size and toughness. He’s more of the same, albeit still really really good.

At some point you need to be willing to throw it all at a true organization defining center.

• Haha
Reactions: Raspewtin

Dfence033

Nov 24, 2009
Texas
I'm sure it's been said, but I'd ship Trouba off to anywhere that doesn't require adding an asset to move him.

I would seriously entertain moving Miller for Necas or comparable player who can play C (not Zegras). He has a ton of promise, but his play isn't matching what his skill shows.

Move Chytil full time to W. I like him, but if he can't stay healthy, it leaves way too much of a hole on the roster. Maybe slap him with Zib and Kreider. They can figure it out (or not, wouldn't be any different than another season of "finding a winger to fit" with them).

Target guys like Texier who are versatile, need contracts, but are going to be blocked at their position.

Stay the hell away from the "big" names already being floated. Keep the wrong Tkachuk the hell away from the Rangers. I'd rather have Marner - at least he's good in the regular season.

The team doesn't need more plugger clowns. They lost because they are 1 deep in their top 4 D, and Fox might as well have had a leg amputated. They lost because Panarin decided to finally take a playoff shot on goal with 2 minutes left in his season and the game already over. They lost because the powerplay decided once again that the best time to disappear is the Conference Finals.

They didn't lose because the Panthers out hit them. They lost because their transition game is slow as shit. Find puck carriers and movers for the big guns who aren't going anywhere. Not more guys who can "hit."

I think Rempe might be something one day, but having a guy play 5 minutes a game to be targeted by the refs for existing is not a playoff strategy that wins. Need less of that and more players.

Shesty should have ripped everyone not named Laf a new one in the locker room.

PuckLuck3043

Stairway To Heaven
Nov 15, 2017
Hudson Valley
I agree. But ill say it again. The sens DONT HAVE TO TRADE BRADY. So therefore to move him itd have to be an overpay.

Im not saying what id trade for him, im saying what realistically itd take
No it would not. That is a ridiculous overpay. Drury should be fired on the spot if he traded anywhere close to that.

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
This is why the Perrault pick is one I’m not super excited about. I’m not saying it was a bad pick or that a better center was available. Neither are true. But he’s exactly the type of player the Rangers have had for years. Extremely high skill. Extremely high IQ. Average skater. Lacks size and toughness. He’s more of the same, albeit still really really good.

At some point you need to be willing to throw it all at a true organization defining center.
He was by far the best available player at that point and a very "un-Rangers" pick. If he shows up in fall 2025 and puts up 45 points that season, it's going to be quite the bang for buck.

Reactions: Kupo

irishlaxburger2

Jan 30, 2008
Rye, NY
He was by far the best available player at that point and a very "un-Rangers" pick. If he shows up in fall 2025 and puts up 45 points that season, it's going to be quite the bang for buck.
Oh 100%. You have to make that pick in that position. Im not saying otherwise.

I’m just tired of being excited about wingers with this organizations farm system. Get a damn center at some point.

Reactions: Atax

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
Oh 100%. You have to make that pick in that position. Im not saying otherwise.

I’m just tired of being excited about wingers with this organizations farm system. Get a damn center at some point.
I expect them with some of the picks they get for Kakko to select at least one if not two in the second round, from the US NDTP.

Mike in Houston

Apr 20, 2015
Houston, TX
I was under the impression Buch would not be amenable to returning.

If Mark Messier can come back then so too can Pavel Buchnevich.

That said, I posted that in jest. I don't pretend to know what Chris Drury should or shouldn't do in the offseason. To me, it's all like fantasy booking in wrestling.

• Haha
Reactions: majordomo

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
The Perrault pick has been universally praised as a steal and one of the better value picks. He just had one of the best freshmen seasons in NCAA history. and yet we’ve got people here complaining about a lack of size and perceived toughness

This place never fails to crack me up with it’s absurdity

PuckLuck3043

Stairway To Heaven
Nov 15, 2017
Hudson Valley

He was the best pick in the draft relative to where he was picked. A absolute no brainer. He's still very young and needs to add some muscle but he will be a stud. They will need to ad size and toughness elsewhere the next couple of years.

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
The Perrault pick has been universally praised as a steal and one of the better value picks. He just had one of the best freshmen seasons in NCAA history. and yet we’ve got people here complaining about a lack of size and perceived toughness

This place never fails to crack me up with it’s absurdity

It's like 13 hours after elimination. Everyone is going through the anger/sadness/guilt/depression/etc. (I know it's only sports but we all have our own ways of showing passion).

He's going to be a very important piece, not 2024-25, but probably 2025-26. Need ELCs to produce to round out the team.

I don't know why, but I've always had the feeling Zegras would be a major disaster here.
Anaheim could file a lawsuit against the Rangers with that offer, and probably win.

Reactions: noncents

xsniper11x

Jul 12, 2002
Visit site
There is no one way to build a winner, but generally all winners in recent memory have 3 elite players that are PO performers (usually 2Fs and a D, but not a G). You then supplement that core with quality depth, especially a great 3rd line that can pot goals.

We’ve never tanked long enough to be the Pens, Avs, Hawks or Bolts (they’re an anomaly any way), but there’s reason to believe we should be able to exceed what the Blues and Caps were able to put together.

Laf is a a star in the making and PO performer. Fox has been in prior years and is clearly an elite piece. Not sure Bread will be around long enough to matter and so far not close to a “PO performer.” Even if Perreault turns out to be that 3rd piece, we’ll have to pull it off w/ none of them being a C, which seems unprecedented. On the upside, we have a system full of what could potentially be elite 3rd line types and maybe our G can be enough of a difference make, but that’s a big risk given high paid Gs have minimal success in the cap era.

It’s going to take some creativity, but it does seem like we can get there, esp if we put ourselves in the opportunity to pounce if a high end C becomes available.

Reactions: egelband

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004
Sunday morning musing about Rangers hockey. A few non-roster comments:

1. The city is an energy vampire. Ask people who move out. This doesn’t apply to every player, but I do think it’s a general factor.

2. The Rangers marketing team hypes up players who have in reality accomplished nothing. The players begin to think their shit doesn’t stink.

3. The Rangers public relations team simultaneously protects the players, actively helping them avoid media accountability.

irishlaxburger2

Jan 30, 2008
Rye, NY
You are all very much misunderstanding my point about Perrault if you think I said it was a mistake of a pick. It was a great pick and the right pick.

I’m just tired of this organization being in a position where they’re building through the wings. You don’t win Cups that way.

majordomo

Oct 29, 2023
NYC
I think he would be ok as a 3C type, one that can actually help the 3rd line score a few and create some matchup issues for other teams.
$6 million is an awful lot of money to pay a 3C. Didn't we learn anything from Goodrow contract? That being said, I still think it's a bad idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad