Roster Building Thread - Part XI (Off-season edition)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Steve Kournianos

@thedraftanalyst
Defense needs to be revamped but in stages. Sather knows this because he did it himself after the Euro Corps in Henrik’s early years was soft and turnover prone so they made it tougher and cleaner. Poor Bozolinsh lol. I’m glad they didn’t overpay for Guentzel because he would have disappeared too against Florida’s checking and cost us Berard or Othmann and a 1st . They key thing for Drury is not to panic for at least one more season so that Othmann, Berard, and Perreault can move one year closer to permanence and Trouba can be traded for picks to use in bigger deals down the road. I do sense a blockbuster that will include one of Chytil, Schneider, or Miller, kinda like the Nash trade that cost two everyday homegrown types, but prolly not this offseason. I really like the forward group and Fox but other five dmen can move on IMO. Just not all at once.

As for Florida, constructing this lineup did not come cheap. Lesson learned for teams sticking with prospects and picks. I get the fine line between patience and being over-protective but they traded a 100-point player and a 40-point dman in their primes for Tkachuk, dealt a top goalie prospect for Reinhart, their second-best young forward for Giroux, and gave a team an unprotected 2023 first-rounder for Ben Chiarot. No R1 picks in 2022, 2023, 2024, and 2025. Win some, lose some, but point stands.

Boris Zubov

No relation to Sergei, Joe
May 6, 2016
Back on the east coast
You are all very much misunderstanding my point about Perrault if you think I said it was a mistake of a pick. It was a great pick and the right pick.

I’m just tired of this organization being in a position where they’re building through the wings. You don’t win Cups that way.
In the next 2 years, you're still likely looking at Laf & Panarin, plus Kreider & a replacement in your top six. Gabe is hopefully ready in 2 years, but we're not as stacked on the wing as you make it sound.

Realistically, Kakko & Othmann are likely to be moved to fill areas of need, hopefully on D.

PuckLuck3043

Stairway To Heaven
Nov 15, 2017
Hudson Valley
You are all very much misunderstanding my point about Perrault if you think I said it was a mistake of a pick. It was a great pick and the right pick.

I’m just tired of this organization being in a position where they’re building through the wings. You don’t win Cups that way.
You said you were not super excited for the pick like there was a better center pick at 23. There was not. That was a no brainer and why people are jumping on what you said.

Reactions: kovazub94

NickyLongLegz

Apr 30, 2019
Just wonder when a coach or management will finally split up Kreider and Mika because it seems no matter who they have at right wing, they are completely useless 5v5. Who knows maybe Kakko actually could be a top six winger if he didn’t have to play with those two together every opportunity.

That inseparable bromance along with Trouba and lindgrens inability to move the puck off the ice are the biggest issues on this team. Team won’t win a cup being carried by Igor and the power play because we’ve seen what happens then. Need to be at least a top ten team 5v5, but it’s not happening if the organization continues to be this stubborn about issues that are glaring seemingly to everyone but them. And ffs laf is better than every forward on that first power play unit when it comes to the games that mattered. Not even one game did they try him when the power play dried up.

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
Defense needs to be revamped but in stages. Sather knows this because he did it himself after the Euro Corps in Henrik’s early years was soft and turnover prone so they made it tougher and cleaner. Poor Bozolinsh lol. I’m glad they didn’t overpay for Guentzel because he would have disappeared too against Florida’s checking and cost us Berard or Othmann and a 1st . They key thing for Drury is not to panic for at least one more season so that Othmann, Berard, and Perreault can move one year closer to permanence and Trouba can be traded for picks to use in bigger deals down the road. I do sense a blockbuster that will include one of Chytil, Schneider, or Miller, kinda like the Nash trade that cost two everyday homegrown types, but prolly not this offseason. I really like the forward group and Fox but other five dmen can move on IMO. Just not all at once.

As for Florida, constructing this lineup did not come cheap. Lesson learned for teams sticking with prospects and picks. I get the fine line between patience and being over-protective but they traded a 100-point player and a 40-point dman in their primes for Tkachuk, dealt a top goalie prospect for Reinhart, their second-best young forward for Giroux, and gave a team an unprotected 2023 first-rounder for Ben Chiarot. No R1 picks in 2022, 2023, 2024, and 2025. Win some, lose some, but point stands.
Panthers are going to be like the other Miami club the Marlins. They probably win it this year and then they're going to dismantle. They don't have much left and will have a lot of holes as soon as this offseason.

irishlaxburger2

Jan 30, 2008
Rye, NY
You said you were not super excited for the pick like there was a better center pick at 23. There was not. That was a no brainer and why people are jumping on what you said.
I’m not excited because it’s more of the same. He’s the perfect fit for this current “country club team” that everyone rails on. His strengths are everything we already have, and so are his weaknesses.

He’s a fantastic player in a vacuum. The best player we could’ve picked at that point in the draft. The exact type of player that has brought us to ECF without getting over the hump. And he’ll be in that same position with the Rangers if they don’t pair him with a legitimate 1C.

It’s why I wouldn’t be against moving him if it meant bringing in that 1C. I don’t think he should be as untouchable as others on here claim. But I’m also not moving him for another winger. It needs to be in a package for a true top pairing D man or 1C.

I’m just tired of his org trying to win with wingers. Gaborik wasn’t it. Nor was Nash. Nor is Panarin. All of those dollars would’ve been better spent shoring up the 1C position

Reactions: CLW

3rd Guy High

Feb 17, 2010
Laff is better than brady. Imo a trade for brady isnt realistic because if ottawa moves him it means theyre rebuilding and therefore theyd want young guys to grow with them. The best we could probably offer is

Kandre
Cuylle
Perreault
Othmann
2024 1st
2025 1st

And thats not getting it done
That is overpayment, and 100% gets it done. Guys that want out don’t return what you think they do.

PuckLuck3043

Stairway To Heaven
Nov 15, 2017
Hudson Valley
$6 million is an awful lot of money to pay a 3C. Didn't we learn anything from Goodrow contract? That being said, I still think it's a bad idea.
No it's not when your 3C is young and capable of putting up 40-50 points and become a matchup nightmare. He could also play top 6 minutes if needed. Goodrow is getting paid 2 million less and had 4 goals this year and was pretty much awful.

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004
Sounds like Allaire is phasing into retirement.

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
In the next 2 years, you're still likely looking at Laf & Panarin, plus Kreider & a replacement in your top six. Gabe is hopefully ready in 2 years, but we're not as stacked on the wing as you make it sound.

Realistically, Kakko & Othmann are likely to be moved to fill areas of need, hopefully on D.

Next year Berard, Edstrom, and Othmann either make the team, or get time. The hope is that Sykora gets some games next season, and you get at least one player out of Chlemar, Rooberak, and Vaisalainen.

That doesn't include bargain bin UFAs or reclamation projects (Ardvison from LA if he wants to come back).

They're fine at wing. They need centers, and to start redoing the D core. Even with Mancini and Fortescue as modern stay at home DMen, that's not enough offense/help for Fox.

PuckLuck3043

Stairway To Heaven
Nov 15, 2017
Hudson Valley
I’m not excited because it’s more of the same. He’s the perfect fit for this current “country club team” that everyone rails on. His strengths are everything we already have, and so are his weaknesses.

He’s a fantastic player in a vacuum. The best player we could’ve picked at that point in the draft. The exact type of player that has brought us to ECF without getting over the hump. And he’ll be in that same position with the Rangers if they don’t pair him with a legitimate 1C.

It’s why I wouldn’t be against moving him if it meant bringing in that 1C. I don’t think he should be as untouchable as others on here claim. But I’m also not moving him for another winger. It needs to be in a package for a true top pairing D man or 1C.
How many players on this team really have 90-100 point potential? Not many, and one is in his 30's. Perrault actually does. I would only move him for a legit 1C. He's going to be a stud and he is by far the Rangers top prospect.

Reactions: 100Eyes and hi

RempireStateBuilding

Dec 13, 2009
NY
Just wonder when a coach or management will finally split up Kreider and Mika because it seems no matter who they have at right wing, they are completely useless 5v5. Who knows maybe Kakko actually could be a top six winger if he didn’t have to play with those two together every opportunity.

That inseparable bromance along with Trouba and lindgrens inability to move the puck off the ice are the biggest issues on this team. Team won’t win a cup being carried by Igor and the power play because we’ve seen what happens then. Need to be at least a top ten team 5v5, but it’s not happening if the organization continues to be this stubborn about issues that are glaring seemingly to everyone but them. And ffs laf is better than every forward on that first power play unit when it comes to the games that mattered. Not even one game did they try him when the power play dried up.
At this point you just have to throw your hands up and say whatever. Nothing notable is going to change next season and I'm not going to hold my breath hoping any lineup/pairing changes are going to be made for any significant period of time. Just have to hope Mika does the exact opposite of what he did this post-season.

The biggest in-game change we see is maybe Laf gets 30 seconds of PP1 time across the regular season.

Reactions: Atax

mrhockey193195

Nov 14, 2006
Denver, CO
Is there any world where we are in play for signing Guentzel as a UFA? I assume no, even if we miraculously move Trouba, but just curious.

Boris Zubov

No relation to Sergei, Joe
May 6, 2016
Back on the east coast
Next year Berard, Edstrom, and Othmann either make the team, or get time. The hope is that Sykora gets some games next season, and you get at least one player out of Chlemar, Rooberak, and Vaisalainen.

That doesn't include bargain bin UFAs or reclamation projects (Ardvison from LA if he wants to come back).

They're fine at wing. They need centers, and to start redoing the D core. Even with Mancini and Fortescue as modern stay at home DMen, that's not enough offense/help for Fox.
I'm fine with infusing more youth, but we need to keep our expectations in check. Anointing any of these guys into our top six in the short term is unrealistic at this point & it's also unrealistic to think all of them remain with the organization long term.

Edstrom is the guy I really hope we integrate into the 4th line from Day 1. He has way more upside than Rempe & frankly it was silly he wasn't given more of a shot after he returned from injury.

Reactions: Atax and Crease

irishlaxburger2

Jan 30, 2008
Rye, NY
How many players on this team really have 90-100 point potential? Not many, and one is in his 30's. Perrault actually does. I would only move him for a legit 1C. He's going to be a stud and he is by far the Rangers top prospect.
I don’t disagree. Again, I just wish the Rangers top prospect was actually a center. Perhaps that’s not a narrative about Perrault at all. It really isn’t. I just wish it wasn’t the case.

We had the 6th pick overall and selected an *at best* future 2C in Lia’s Andersson. Unfortunately, there really weren’t any good Cs available in that draft. We luck into the #2 overall pick and there are no franchise defining C prospects after #1. That’s crappy luck. We luck into the #1 overall pick and the same thing happens (Laf is my favorite player by the way, so this is not a narrative on him).

This organization is just *always* in a position where it needs to be built via wingers. And frankly, I have to give some credit for not trying to force picking centers in those situations above because the centers selected after those picks wouldn’t have made a difference. I just wish we found a way to be in a position to grab a 1C somewhere.

I can’t get excited about winger prospects anymore, even if they’re great players.

HatTrick Swayze

Just Be Nice
Jun 16, 2006
Chicago

I’m just tired of his org trying to win with wingers. Gaborik wasn’t it. Nor was Nash. Nor is Panarin. All of those dollars would’ve been better spent shoring up the 1C position

The issue is the vast majority of truly elite 1Cs are drafted in the top 5 and play their entire careers or the entire productive section of their careers with the team that drafted them.

The Rangers drafted in that range twice and the unanimous consensus picks were not Cs. It sucks. Just another so close yet so far break for this franchise. At least one of the two looks like a legitimate 1st liner whose game translates to the postseason.

PuckLuck3043

Stairway To Heaven
Nov 15, 2017
Hudson Valley
I don’t disagree. Again, I just wish the Rangers top prospect was actually a center. Perhaps that’s not a narrative about Perrault at all. It really isn’t. I just wish it wasn’t the case.

We had the 6th pick overall and selected an *at best* future 2C in Lia’s Andersson. Unfortunately, there really weren’t any good Cs available in that draft. We luck into the #2 overall pick and there are no franchise defining C prospects after #1. That’s crappy luck. We luck into the #1 overall pick and the same thing happens (Laf is my favorite player by the way, so this is not a narrative on him).

This organization is just *always* in a position where it needs to be built via wingers. And frankly, I have to give some credit for not trying to force picking centers in those situations above because the centers selected after those picks wouldn’t have made a difference. I just wish we found a way to be in a position to grab a 1C somewhere.

I can’t get excited about winger prospects anymore, even if they’re great players.
Top 1C's are obviously hard to come by so you have to be lucky to be in a position to draft them. The Rangers did nothing wrong drafting Laf and Kakko where they did. It is what it is. Trocheck-Mika-Chytil (when healthy) is still decent. Maybe they add a Zegras in a trade. We have to see how things shake out this summer.

zlev

Dec 21, 2015
Yeah, I'd put him in the Rick Nash category. Nash was a very good player for about 3-4 seasons and a good player the rest of his career. Hey, at least the Rangers won that trade with Boston.

he's not even close to Rick Nash. he's a worse Kreider who does more agitating.

Reactions: tiggles

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
I didn't read all of this, but I did notice you think Nic Roy is going to get $6M from someone. Not a snowball's chance in hell. His career high in points is 41. He might get 4.5 on a long deal because he's a very useful bottom six center, but 6 is a giant overpay.

His teammate Stephenson is the guy who's in line to get a $6M offer. I really hope we're in on him, because he's a great middle 6 center who is an elite PKer & a top 5 skater in the league. Something we could really use around here is his speed.

Edit...I just looked...Nic Roy is signed for 3 more years for $3M. I should've realized you're probably referring to Matt Roy. That's on me for skimming thru your post.
Yea, Matt sorry. Nic is the center.
Stephenson is also an interesting target.
Proven 50 plus pt 2-3C with wheels

irishlaxburger2

Jan 30, 2008
Rye, NY
Top 1C's are obviously hard to come by so you have to be lucky to be in a position to draft them. The Rangers did nothing wrong drafting Laf and Kakko where they did. It is what it is. Trocheck-Mika-Chytil (when healthy) is still decent. Maybe they add a Zegras in a trade. We have to see how things shake out this summer.
Oh it’s inevitable the Rangers get Zegras at some point. His family is close to Drury and the kid will force himself here at some point.

But again, that’s a player who’s only going to reinforce the “country club” mentality. The definition of skilled but soft.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad