Roster Building Thread - Part XI (Off-season edition)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

rangersfansince08

Oct 8, 2019
If Trouba can't land a trade, is a Buyout with a $4/4/2/2M hit worth it? I'm leaning towards yes as it still frees up $4/4/6/6M in cap hit, but also stops the coach from actually playing him in meaningful minutes.

He was basically directly responsible for how many GA in the Panthers series from dumbass mistakes?

Then again, if what Boyle said is true and coaching moved towards a Man defense, that sort of explains how out of position they constantly were. We don't have a mobile D that can keep up to that level. If that exposed Trouba and the rest, unsure if that changes anything..
You can get a decent defenseman with the savings. Addition by subtraction and bring in a decent player

LaffyTaffy13

May 10, 2022
That is overpayment, and 100% gets it done. Guys that want out don’t return what you think they do.
Where has it been reported he wants out? If he makes it publicly known and then says only NYR, of course price goes down. As of now, the sens could trade him anywhere and whatever team lands him has him locked up for 4 more years at $8.2. His NMC is a year away from kicking in so if the sens want to maximize value, this is the summer to do so.

Rick Nash is probably a good comp but rick nash had an NMC and only wanted to come to NYR so its not apples to apples. But that trade had NYR trading dubinsky, anisimov and a 1st along with tim erixson. So 2 middle 6 nhl forwards with top 6 potential along with a 1st for a guy who said he’d use his NMC to force his way to NYR and NYR only.

So then, what does a similar guy without an NMC fetch on the open market when you have to outbid other teams?

JimmyG89

May 1, 2010
Need to upgrade the defense, mainly Lindgren. That is the one big external move that needs to happen. We don't have that player in house. That #1 pick is more likely traded than kept IMO and it should be done to resolve this.

We said it all season and he had big playoff goals, but Goodrow has to go. We cannot continue to have his cap hit and be a 4th liner. It'll be significantly easier to move this over Trouba, even though we should bite the bullet and retain to make it happen.

We have to let the young wingers we have bubble up. We filled with a ton of vets on 7/1 last season to avoid overexposure of guys that needed a year in the A. It's time to introduce Othmann and Berard to this team. Piss and vinegar players that will annoy you and have talent. Edstrom should be given a legit chance to be on the 4th line too.

Drury cannot underreact to the season. Getting here is the same spot as June 2022. We need changes to get past this.

rangersfansince08

Oct 8, 2019
Where has it been reported he wants out? If he makes it publicly known and then says only NYR, of course price goes down. As of now, the sens could trade him anywhere and whatever team lands him has him locked up for 4 more years at $8.2. His NMC is a year away from kicking in so if the sens want to maximize value, this is the summer to do so.

Rick Nash is probably a good comp but rick nash had an NMC and only wanted to come to NYR so its not apples to apples. But that trade had NYR trading dubinsky, anisimov and a 1st along with tim erixson. So 2 middle 6 nhl forwards with top 6 potential along with a 1st for a guy who said he’d use his NMC to force his way to NYR and NYR only.

So then, what does a similar guy without an NMC fetch on the open market when you have to outbid other teams?
He wouldn't fetch that type of return from any team in any scenario. Also he f***ing sucks anyways.

CTTribe73

Aug 17, 2023
Marner and Brady? Come on. Those guys won't move the needle. Marner is just Panarin. In fact he is worse than him in every way. Less production in the regular season and post season. Brady is so overrated.

Robert Thomas moves the needle but why does St.Louis move a true 1C?
As to Brady and Mitch, it’s not what they do by themselves; it’s the additive impact:

Kreider/Z/Roslovich

OR

Kreider/Z/Tkachuk or Marner. Get the gist?

I don’t know if Thomas is available….but does it hurt to make the call? Drury should be calling EVERY TEAM with a stud 1C and AT LEAST asking the question-What would it take?

Otherwise what are we doing here? Wash/Rinse/Repeat?

QJL

Jan 2, 2014
My plan:

Kakko + 2025 1st for Buchnevich

Trouba (2M retained) + 2026 2nd round pick to any team that’s not on his list and wants leadership.

Trade Goodrow and a 2025 3rd round pick away to any team that’s not on his list for a 7th round pick

Trade Sykora and Robertson for Arber Xhekaj

Trade rights to Lindgren for a 2024 2nd round pick at the draft

Sign Brady Skjei for 6M X 5 years

Sign Sean Walker for 5M X 4 years

Re-sign Schneider for 2.5M x 2 years

All the UFAs walk

Lineup:

Panarin - Trocheck - Lafreniere
Kreider - Zibanejad - Buchnevich
Berard - Chytil - Othmann
Cuylle - Edstrom - Rempe
Vesey

Skjei - Fox
Miller - Walker
Jones - Schneider
Xhekaj

Shesterkin
Quick

Reactions: cheech70

irishlaxburger2

Jan 30, 2008
Rye, NY
Saying a 19 year old kid that’s 1-2 years away from even possibly being on the team will contribute to a country club atmosphere is certainly a take.
The “country club” thing is a dumb viewpoint in itself.

But what people connect to it - lack of size, physicality, board play, first to pucks - are all of the things scouts point to as weaknesses for Perrault. Where he makes up for it - hockey IQ, vision, hands, passing - are all the things this team has been built on for years.

Hes a great prospect, but also happens to be exactly what we have and nothing we don’t.

SRHRangers

Aug 18, 2020
As to Brady and Mitch, it’s not what they do by themselves; it’s the additive impact:

Kreider/Z/Roslovich

OR

Kreider/Z/Tkachuk or Marner. Get the gist?

I don’t know if Thomas is available….but does it hurt to make the call? Drury should be calling EVERY TEAM with a stud 1C and AT LEAST asking the question-What would it take?

Otherwise what are we doing here? Wash/Rinse/Repeat?
Thomas just resigned.

Armstrong would hang up the phone before the question is even finish on the other end.

qwertyaas

LGR@
Feb 19, 2008
New York
My plan:

Trouba (2M retained) + 2026 2nd round pick to any team that’s not on his list and wants leadership.

Trade Goodrow and a 2025 3rd round pick away to any team that’s not on his list for a 7th round pick

Trade Adam Sykora and Matthew Robertson for Arber Xhekaj

All the UFAs walk

Lineup:

Cuylle - Edstrom - Rempe
Vesey - Brodzinski

Skjei - Fox
Miller - Walker
Jones - Schneider
Xhekaj

Shesterkin
Quick
The thought of sending 1st to get back what we traded for pennies on the dollar just to appease Mika/Kreider when they are another year older, makes no sense to me.

SRHRangers

Aug 18, 2020
My plan:

Trade Adam Sykora and Matthew Robertson for Arber Xhekaj

All the UFAs walk

Lineup:

Cuylle - Edstrom - Rempe
Vesey - Brodzinski

Skjei - Fox
Miller - Walker
Jones - Schneider
Xhekaj

Shesterkin
Quick
Congrats.

Igor walks the following season and LaF is offer sheeted.

Reactions: Michal

nyrob13

Jun 21, 2015
Blockbuster .. Kreider, K'Andre, Kakko (RFA), 2024 #1 for Rantanen and Colton

Lindy + Chytil for Theodore

Trouba for Provorov

Goody for a pick

Sign Carrier/Roy and Perron

Othmann Mika Rantanen
Panarin Trocheck Lafreniere
Berard Colton Perron
Cuylle Edstrom Vesey/Rempe

Theodore Fox
Provorov Schneider
Jones Carrier/Roy

Igor
Quick

:)

Reactions: irishlaxburger2

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
It depends on if Drury wants a culture shift. He IS the culture for a lot of reasons. That reasoning, good or bad, supersedes anything on-ice.

He's also the easiest to trade of the big 3 forwards (you'd have 20+ suitors, everyone can fit $6.5M for a a guy who averages 43 goals a year the last 3 years) and would get the best return, for the reasons mentioned.

Yeah also all reasons to keep him.

If you want a true culture shift I can think of something that would be even more impactful and symbolic - trading your captain.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
Can we stop talking about Brady Tkachuk? f*** that guy. He sucks.

He’s not the answer to our problems.
The way people talk about acquiring opposing teams players is like call the guy and they’d be happy to separate from the desired target (that it’s all matter of a price). And this is all it takes.

irishlaxburger2

Jan 30, 2008
Rye, NY
The way people talk about acquiring opposing teams players is like call the guy and they’d be happy to separate from the desired target (that it’s all matter of a price). And this is all it takes.
The only reason people talk about Brady that way is because there are heavy rumors of discontent in that locker room.

QJL

Jan 2, 2014
Congrats.

Igor walks the following season and LaF is offer sheeted.

No…

Trouba and Goodrow off the books + a Buchnevich one year rental with 11M tied up in two new defenders most certainly leaves room for Igor, Lafreniere, and Miller if we choose to keep him.

Do you really think we aren’t going to spend 11M on Trouba and Lindgren replacements? We are.

noncents

Feb 25, 2022
i'm a kakko truther i'll admit it.

i'm happy to move the kid if the right deal is there.

but i just don't get the view that he is a "must shed" player... what exactly is the impetus? Is he losing us these games?? so many posts about "just not liking his face" you'll like it a lot less when he's a Flyer scoring 50 points a year

SRHRangers

Aug 18, 2020
No…

Trouba and Goodrow off the books + a Buchnevich one year rental with 11M tied up in two new defenders most certainly leaves room for Igor, Lafreniere, and Miller if we choose to keep him.

Do you really think we aren’t going to spend 11M on Trouba and Lindgren replacements? We are.
Igor is gonna cost 11 mil aav in the 25 off-season alone. LaF if he improves on this season, 9.5. I won't even bring Miller into it yet

Any FA we sign this off season better be 1yr deals.

EdJovanovski

#RempeForCalder
Apr 26, 2016
The Rempire State
A very out there idea, but I wonder about buying low on Nichushkin. Some sort of deal involving Kakko. A big strong ppg RW who plays a heavy playoff style game, and honestly maybe some of those off ice warts could be a good thing to shake up the country club. He has an attitude.

qwertyaas

LGR@
Feb 19, 2008
New York
Fox being injured was not the difference. It certainly didn’t help, but this team isn’t winning a Cup with a healthy Fox and everyone else no showing.
A healthy Fox could have been an absolute difference maker. Him at 100% gives the team a whole different look for the 25min+ a night he would have played.

Losing his knee cost our mobility on the blue line. Carolina and Florida could pressure the blue line with no recourse, causing us to constantly cough up the puck and rush a stupid pass. Unfortunately, Fox is the only one dressed that can push teams back; and his (tbd) injury negated all that.

SRHRangers

Aug 18, 2020
A very out there idea, but I wonder about buying low on Nichushkin. Some sort of deal involving Kakko. A big strong ppg RW who plays a heavy playoff style game, and honestly maybe some of those off ice warts could be a good thing to shake up the country club. He has an attitude.
I'm open minded to it if his contract is terminated and he comes here on a small deal.

Reactions: EdJovanovski

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
Defense needs to be revamped but in stages. Sather knows this because he did it himself after the Euro Corps in Henrik’s early years was soft and turnover prone so they made it tougher and cleaner. Poor Bozolinsh lol. I’m glad they didn’t overpay for Guentzel because he would have disappeared too against Florida’s checking and cost us Berard or Othmann and a 1st . They key thing for Drury is not to panic for at least one more season so that Othmann, Berard, and Perreault can move one year closer to permanence and Trouba can be traded for picks to use in bigger deals down the road. I do sense a blockbuster that will include one of Chytil, Schneider, or Miller, kinda like the Nash trade that cost two everyday homegrown types, but prolly not this offseason. I really like the forward group and Fox but other five dmen can move on IMO. Just not all at once.

As for Florida, constructing this lineup did not come cheap. Lesson learned for teams sticking with prospects and picks. I get the fine line between patience and being over-protective but they traded a 100-point player and a 40-point dman in their primes for Tkachuk, dealt a top goalie prospect for Reinhart, their second-best young forward for Giroux, and gave a team an unprotected 2023 first-rounder for Ben Chiarot. No R1 picks in 2022, 2023, 2024, and 2025. Win some, lose some, but point stands.
Why wait a year? Revamping is needed not where internal improvements can come from (to do “wait to see what we got”).

n8

WAAAAAAA!!!
Nov 7, 2002
san francisco
Visit site
Its also the wrong year to deal Trouba.

Deal him now, and you're taking back another bad contract and /or retaining.

Deal him in his final year and it's just a cutting of the chord and it would help us get Igor/LaF under contract long term.

Ive always been a Kakko fan, but both sides need a change of scenery here. Let one of the kids play for his position.
Can you break down the cap and tell me why retaining $4M for two years is WORSE than having to play Trouba? It just seems like a lot of upside. Retaining 50% > > > buyout

Yes but at the same time, were taking back a bad deal if there's a Trouba deal

Or, we retain.

I just don't want to eff up the finances for the 25 off-season where Igor and LaF get big raises.
Get those extensions locked in ASAP then?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad