Roster Building Thread - Part XI (Off-season edition)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
Because I am a strong believer that a lot of general managers in the NHL still overvalue all the attributes that Trouba has a lot of, which I did not list as my focus was on his shortcomings.

And he was only below replacement level this postseason.

I don't think they overvalue them to the point of spending $8M on them. Do you really think if he was a UFA right now someone would sign him to a 2-16 deal?

PuckLuck3043

Stairway To Heaven
Nov 15, 2017
Hudson Valley
Trouba was a pylon. Sure we can trade him but it would be problem for problem and the retention just balances the money out.
Yea Trouba was a pylon but we kept playing him top 4 minutes for most of the regular season and he was getting more minutes than Fox. There are teams who value what he brings and he would absolutely be tradeable if we retain 2 million or more. The only question is if this FO still thinks he is better than he is. I would flat out buy him out as a worst case scenario as I don't think they have any other dead money against the cap.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
I don't think they overvalue them to the point of spending $8M on them. Do you really think if he was a UFA right now someone would sign him to a 2-16 deal?

With that term? I’d lean towards yes. Not a 5x8 for sure.

But assuming we do have to take back some player with term and a significant AAV, it’s not always the end of the world if they fit the teams needs better. An overpriced but speedy third line winger making 5 mil could absolutely work as part of the package

Speaking of which, I’m absolutely on the Arvidsson bandwagon this offseason.

effen

Feb 3, 2018
Steve Staios already said that they're building the team around Tkachuk, and I have to be honest, some of the takes in here about him are super weird considering he's consistently one of the best 5v5 players and scorers in the league. He's a near lock for giving you 35-35 each year and generates a ton within the slot. He's quite literally the exact type of player that would help fix a lot of issues, and he has the bad rep right now because he's one of those players that's easily hatable when he's not on your own team.

Anyways, I'm not gonna waste too much time on a post mortem while last night's loss still stings, but there's a few things systemically that are pretty apparent as to why they keep losing these types of games over and over again.

You're not going to win when you have a forward or two cheating high trying to stretch the neutral zone and the other team pushing their dmen to the tops of the circles. Tampa closed us out this way, and it's what Florida did for 3 straight games. You leave your defense in a brutal spot where there's no puck support and they're forced to chip it up the walls and hope for you to win a NZ puck battle. Even if you win that battle, your forward is likely just going to be going 1v3 or 1v4 into the offensive zone, dump the puck, and go for a change. It's giving your opponent to start attacking you with momentum and speed while your guys are trying to get set up coming off a line change. You need puck support to ease the pressure against high forechecking teams and to attack through the NZ with speed. Even if a team is trying to trap, the controlled zone exits let you chip-and-chase with numbers to have better odds of winning puck battles down low and generating zone time. Part of it is personnel, but it's been a common theme under the last 4 coaches that just simply hasn't been addressed.
You can totally do single man fly the zone if your entire plan is for him to dump it in and go grind out your own forecheck. That was not their plan and that's the disconnect. Coaching issue.

CTTribe73

Aug 17, 2023
Thomas just resigned.

Armstrong would hang up the phone before the question is even finish on the other end.
And that is ok.

But you ALWAYS should ask. No stone unturned if you really want to win the Cup. Otherwise it’s just more of the same competitive mediocrity.

LaffyTaffy13

May 10, 2022
If trouba makes it tough to move him due to his 15 team NTC + the metro teams he wont put on the list that he wont be dealt to all drury has to do, is do to trouba what tampa did to mcdonagh. Say listen, if you dont agree to go here, were putting you on waivers and youll wind up in calgary. Choice is yours

mrhockey193195

Nov 14, 2006
Denver, CO
Making Vegas an offer the can’t refuse for Theodore would probably be my plan A. I’m sure they will find better ways to clear cap but if it’s even remotely an option I would support trading trust about anything.
Even if we do get him, one more year before UFA and you have to imagine he'll be looking for a sizeable raise, right? Is there any chance we could keep him?

Reactions: egelband

3rd Guy High

Feb 17, 2010
If trouba makes it tough to move him due to his 15 team NTC + the metro teams he wont put on the list that he wont be dealt to all drury has to do, is do to trouba what tampa did to mcdonagh. Say listen, if you dont agree to go here, were putting you on waivers and youll wind up in calgary. Choice is yours
I dunno, if he leaves the metro teams off I’d just try to trade him there even if it means attaching an asset. He’s a net negative after all

xsniper11x

Jul 12, 2002
Visit site
I know we didn’t score goals when it counted, so it’s easy to point to the forwards and say they needed help. But that’s a misdiagnosis.

We lost because our defense sucked. We got pinned in our zone because our defense sucked. We failed at transitioning the puck because our defense sucked.

If we had the puck more, which again requires a good defense, all of the forwards would have had more chances to score and their stats would look a lot better.

We need to fix the defense. We have insane forward depth and a great goalie.

Fix the defense.
I’m all for fixing the D and that should be priority #1, but I don’t think that’s the one bullet fix ppl are hoping for. The fact we have players who are so bad 5v5 bc they rely on rush hockey isn’t a recipe for success in the POs. Yes, better D to help in transition will be an improvement, but if you can’t scored in other ways at 5v5 (down low cycling, driving to the net, screens, deflections, garbage goals) then you’re not going to be as productive in the POs

Reactions: Kravtsov420 and CLW

DanielBrassard

It's all so tiresome
May 6, 2014
PA from SI
I admire the optimism from many of you.

I have a tough time seeing how this team gets another shot at a championship for a long time.

Revamping the defense is to me the obvious top priority. But they have absolutely nothing in the pipeline. Going to be expensive with little to no room for error. Another Nemeth would be disastrous.

And while having a competent defense that can transition the puck would make an incredibly positive impact on the team's overall game, the elephant in the room is that so much production is on the wrong side of the aging curve and/or proven to not be able to come through in the postseason.

Lafreniere, Fox, and Shesterkin is enough to build a decent team around but the upside case to be a great team is extremely tough to see right now.

I've always felt the "rebuild" was rushed. The idea of "rebuilding while competing" and "two windows" was just not something this organization should have ever entertained. Now the chickens are really coming home to roost on that.
I agree 100%. It’s going to be tough to imagine this team with this group of players making a deep run. Not only have they proven that they come up small most of the time, but the fact is, Panarin and Kreider are 33, Zibanejad is 31, Trocheck is 31. These are your 4 best forwards outside of Lafreniere. It’s seeming to me that this team is headed towards another retool/rebuild, whatever you want to call it. Maybe they get extremely fortunate and McDavid somehow signs with them in UFA or whatever, however unlikely it is but it’s probably time to start thinking about moving forward with a different group of players.

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
I’m all for fixing the D and that should be priority #1, but I don’t think that’s the one bullet fix ppl are hoping for. The fact we have players who are so bad 5v5 bc they rely on rush hockey isn’t a recipe for success in the POs. Yes, better D to help in transition will be an improvement, but if you can’t scored in other ways at 5v5 (down low cycling, driving to the net, screens, deflections, garbage goals) then you’re not going to be as productive in the POs
The team needs more muckers and grinders and offense 5 on 5. Finding both together is hard.

I've talked about bargain bin here and Ardvidson and Labanc are two names you could take cheap flyers on and hope they produce.

Daniel Sprong isn't physical but he has hands. Zucker is a PITA and is familiar with Kreider from the WJC years ago. Duclair with the twins?

Stephenson would probably be the best get but it's gonna cost $$$.

Drury will not have many options with all the kinds pushing for roster spots.

LionsHeart

Mar 25, 2009
Queens, NY
I think that teams skill was underrated. Pouliot-Brassard-Zuccarello as a 3rd line was insane depth, they were one of the best lines in the league.

Best Ranger team I’ve watched. Too bad Girardi was broken down by then otherwise they might have squeezed past LA.
It was deep, but it didn’t have a guy like Panarin. It’s sucks too, because I loved that team. They had a mental toughness this team didn’t have. They were overmatched against that Kings team and still almost pulled it off.

noncents

Feb 25, 2022
The team needs more muckers and grinders and offense 5 on 5. Finding both together is hard.

I've talked about bargain bin here and Ardvidson and Labanc are two names you could take cheap flyers on and hope they produce.

Daniel Sprong isn't physical but he has hands. Zucker is a PITA and is familiar with Kreider from the WJC years ago. Duclair with the twins?

Stephenson would probably be the best get but it's gonna cost $$$.

Drury will not have many options with all the kinds pushing for roster spots.
sprong was on Was last year. Lavi hated him and did not play him.

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
True. Plenty of other options listed that could work (Labanc and Ardvidsion would cost nothing).

Why would Arvidsson, a very good player on a very good deal, cost nothing? His only issue is he gets hurt a lot. I think Arvidsson would be quite expensive to acquire and pretty likely to be a 1st+ at the deadline if the Kings were to sell.

Clark Kellogg

NYU Film Student
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2013
Vermont, USA
Getting rid of Mika will be difficult but maybe, maybe not impossible.
After July 1st, Kreider’s limited NTC kicks in. Trade Chris to a team that has large cap room for this season and projected next. Take less in return if needed if one potential team is more desirable location than the others.
Make Mika’s 24/25 season miserable.
13th forward, 4th line assignments take him off the PP.
Hope it motivates him to open his full NTC/NMC.

Still a bit playoff hungover like most but I will post another time why I believe this coming 24/25 season is a perfect time to transition this team.

Reactions: RangersFan1994
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad