Roster Building Thread - Part XI (Off-season edition)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

PuckLuck3043

Stairway To Heaven
Nov 15, 2017
Hudson Valley
I still think Drury makes a significant move or 2 in the off season. He gave this team a shot this year and they failed to get over the hump. He doesn't like to lose and I see him as a guy that won't be afraid to make a ballsy move or 2 as long as they make sense.

irishlaxburger2

Jan 30, 2008
Rye, NY
Its probably already been mentioned but Carp brought up a good point on twitter. We really should have done whatever it took to grab Guentzel at the deadline. Instead we have Wennberg and other bottom 6 players being inserted on our top line in the ECF
I think not making that move shows Drury knew damn well this team wasn’t winning a Cup anyway, despite where we sat in the standings.

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
Its probably already been mentioned but Carp brought up a good point on twitter. We really should have done whatever it took to grab Guentzel at the deadline. Instead we have Wennberg and other bottom 6 players being inserted on our top line in the ECF
Or, Zibanejad and Panarin could've played better. To win the cup, you can't have passengers. Certainly not your top guys being the passengers.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad

It would have been more burned assets in a losing effort.

Yeah they probably dunk on Carolina in 4 if they make that move but he wasn't turning the tide in our favor in this series.

We're going to want those assets because some of them will probably be used this summer for longer term fixes.

PuckLuck3043

Stairway To Heaven
Nov 15, 2017
Hudson Valley
Easy to say now but he still would not have been the answer and they would have not gotten past Florida. Did you see the defense this series? They also would have had to give up a 1st, Cuylle, and one of Othmann or Berard at the very least for a rental. No thanks.

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
Utah, San Jose, Chicago, and Nashville are the most likely destinations for Kakko. It's going to be for two 2nds.

We heard Drury in that behind the scenes trade with CBJ for Roslovic when he told JD "I don't have any picks after the first until the fourth." They're going to look to add some 2nds and 3rds if possible and select US Development Program kids who Dan Muse signs off on.

As Zibanejad is here for the long term and Chytil can't really play center, gotta see if acquiring Shane Pinto or Trevor Zegras is back on the table. Both can basically be a "3C" but in the way Kevin Hayes was for the first three years of his Rangers career.

Jaromir Jagr

Apr 4, 2015
Long Island, NY
We would have still lost and it would have been more painful given the assets we would have needed to part with to get him.

Wennberg should have been tried on that first line a while back. Running Roslovic there for 20+ games while he did nothing to improve that line was the mistake.

LionsHeart

Mar 25, 2009
Queens, NY
I remember an old thread comparing the 2014 team and this team, and I said “that team had more determination, but not the skill. This team has the skill, but not the determination.”

They’re very skilled, but there’s a softness. It’s not a physical thing, it’s inner toughness. It’s that willingness to get to the slot, or go to the net for a rebound, to get the puck in the deep and then go get it and set up in the offensive zone. It’s just not there in this group.

I do think a shakeup to the core is needed. I think they do need to upgrade the LHD spot next to Fox, get a legit Top 6 RW, and ultimately move on from some guys that we all know and love.

Boris Zubov

No relation to Sergei, Joe
May 6, 2016
Back on the east coast
Forgot to list my potential targets of interest and players to watch hitting UFA in the next 2 seasons. So I’ll leave this here.

Sanheim- 28 years old, reportedly on the block as the flyers are doing a from the ground up rebuild.
Big, mobile, can put up points.

Zetterlund-25 yrs old. Versatile player still on a cheap deal. Has skill to be a 20/20 guy and beyond depending on what line he’s on. Cheap deal as on now.
Guy is a bowling ball and very hard to knock off the puck. He goes balls out every shift. Maximum effort type of guy.
Get him out of SJ before his eyes glaze over like a caged lion in the zoo.

McDavid- likely won’t make it to UFA, but 1 can dream.

Drai- oilers will not be able to afford both, he’s the likely candidate to step into a role vacated by Panarin and his salary imo.
Elite scorer/playoff performer in scoring areas.

Kaprizov- massive talent. Will likely leave minn because they are old. Think this kid has his sights set on big city living/stardom and has the drive and offensive chops to produce in a NY environment. He is not soft or 1dimensional by any means. There’s a lot of fight in that Dog.

Ideally, we end up poaching 1 of him or Drai in UFA.

Nic Roy- he’s going to get around 6 mill per, but he’s steady and reliable. A way better option then what career 3rd pairing Zadorov is going to get after a career playoff year.

Blueger and lafferty probably get overpaid for what they bring.

Theres not a lot out there this offseason in terms of quality UFAs, the following year has some serious talent coming up on the market.
Losing Panarin and Troubas full cap hits by then in order to add a premier talent is critical.

In lavis system, D play a critical part of the offensive. Need to bring in the right personnel to help execute it.

I love goodie, but if you can shed his cap hit early, you do it as well.
You want to win, pay horses high dollars. Fill in the rest with youth/cheap vets

I like chytil, but moving on from him is the right course of action. He can’t be depended on. The last thing you want is a nothing hit derailing your season cause a player can’t be counted on to stay healthy.
I would not be penciling him in to any long term roster plans.
Kakko should/most likely wants a fresh start and bigger opportunity somewhere else. Just not a guy whose going to put it altogether here unless the stars align perfectly.

As far as our prospects go, I make any and all available in a deal for the right player with term except for Perrault.
That was divine intervention/grace of god that he fell to us in the draft and we didn’t overthink it and actually picked him.
Kid is going to be a needle mover/difference maker when his time comes…..

Don’t need a full team overhaul. Just a solid 4-5 moves that upgrade the team and cut out the rotten parts.
Finally the ragers have some solid cheap youth to come up and replenish the ranks. They type of guys that cost a lot if you can’t develop them internally.

Should be an interesting draft/offseason after they swallow this bitter pill and go back to the drawing board.
I didn't read all of this, but I did notice you think Nic Roy is going to get $6M from someone. Not a snowball's chance in hell. His career high in points is 41. He might get 4.5 on a long deal because he's a very useful bottom six center, but 6 is a giant overpay.

His teammate Stephenson is the guy who's in line to get a $6M offer. I really hope we're in on him, because he's a great middle 6 center who is an elite PKer & a top 5 skater in the league. Something we could really use around here is his speed.

Edit...I just looked...Nic Roy is signed for 3 more years for $3M. I should've realized you're probably referring to Matt Roy. That's on me for skimming thru your post.

Last edited:

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
I'll bring it up again:

-On D I'm all in for Chatfield as opposed to Pesce.

-Up front Ardvidson from LA as a cheap option to try with the BFFs? Domi I'd be fine with. I hate him but he adds anger. Joseph from OTT is someone who would really help the bottom six.

RUNYR

Dec 24, 2020
I Do Find the irony that 10 years ago, we needed a Panarin and Zib to get over the hump, and present day, we really could've used a Callahan or Dubinsky to do the same.
Was actually talking about this to my friend last night afterwards. The dilemma then was we didn’t have that bonafide scorer and we were basically a team made up of no true first liners. Fast forward now, we all are screaming our first liners are too soft and need more gritty players. How times change.

majordomo

Oct 29, 2023
NYC
Was actually talking about this to my friend last night afterwards. The dilemma then was we didn’t have that bonafide scorer and we were basically a team made up of no true first liners. Fast forward now, we all are screaming our first liners are too soft and need more gritty players. How times change.
What we need is a hybrid -- not one or the other....Rangers keep going from one extreme to the other.

irishlaxburger2

Jan 30, 2008
Rye, NY
I Do Find the irony that 10 years ago, we needed a Panarin and Zib to get over the hump, and present day, we really could've used a Callahan or Dubinsky to do the same.
Those teams didn’t have a 1C either, and it was their Achilles heel back then.

The difference between 1994 vs 2014/2015/2022/2024 is we had a dominant 1C in 1994 and didn’t in any of those other years. That’s why in 1994 we were able to cave every team we played 5v5 when we absolutely needed to, and why in those other years we would get caved 5v5 in those same situations.

This team has had a 1C problem since Mark Messier. Stepan wasn’t it. Over-the-hill Richards wasn’t it. Zibanejad isn’t it.

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
Th grit starts as soon as this fall. The question is, do the finesse guys still have enough in the tank to by the time the gritty guys become solid contributors?

LaffyTaffy13

May 10, 2022
Lol what? For Brady Tkachuk???
I agree. But ill say it again. The sens DONT HAVE TO TRADE BRADY. So therefore to move him itd have to be an overpay.

Im not saying what id trade for him, im saying what realistically itd take

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
Those teams didn’t have a 1C either, and it was their Achilles heel back then.

The difference between 1994 vs 2014/2015/2022/2024 is we had a dominant 1C in 1994 and didn’t in any of those other years. That’s why in 1994 we were able to cave every team we played 5v5 when we absolutely needed to, and why in those other years we would get caved 5v5 in those same situations.

This team has had a 1C problem since Mark Messier. Stepan wasn’t it. Over-the-hill Richards wasn’t it. Zibanejad isn’t it.
Need to draft and develop those kind of centers. They don't grow on trees. Rangers have a zillion wings. Time to work on centers.

Mike in Houston

Apr 20, 2015
Houston, TX
Hear me out! :D

20240602_105947.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad