Roster Building Thread - Part XI (Off-season edition)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
Right I mean you try to help some of the puck moving on D and you get better passing more goals. If they need a big scorer they can do that at the deadline but they need to resolve the d issues asap

They need to do both before the season starts. Fourth times the charm on adding the perfect deadline pieces? No thank you.

noncents

Feb 25, 2022
the trouba lindgren thing is such a clusterf***.

trouba is worse from a cap perspective but lindgren is worse from an on ice perspective.

colton chytil kakko is a 3rd line that i believe would produce

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017

trouba is worse from a cap perspective but lindgren is worse from an on ice perspective.

If you put Kakko on the 3rd line with 2 guys who can score 20 goals, I dont care what he produces as long as we win games

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad

I almost think I'd rather work Berard in on the RW there.

Rather than having a line that can only create off the walls, you'll have a line with 2 guys who can carry the puck in and enough dig and drive to the inner circles.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
Why not plug Miller there? Fox's only weakness is his speed. Miller has that in droves.
Personally I prefer Miller and Fox split on-ice duties but even if you put them together you then need a strong(er) partner for Schneider who will be just as expensive cap-wise.

That’s why IMO it’s not either or. Both got to go if Drury wants properly address deficiencies that were exposed during this playoff run.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
It’s certainly the more pressing issue.

I don’t see any reason why they can’t address or start to address both.
we would hope so

They need to do both before the season starts. Fourth times the charm on adding the perfect deadline pieces? No thank you.
We have done enough at the deadline. They win the cup if they would have gotten Guentzel

mas0764

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 16, 2005
You know who was an absolute f***ing savage at facilitating? Carl Hagelin.

He always got the puck/won battles, and then turned it into a chance.

He had very little skill but he was able to immediately get the puck to somebody who know what they were doing, or just send it to the net. He had no hesitation in his game.

Kakko would be valuable if he did that, but I just don't think he processes offense at the NHL level.

The IQ isn't there. It's the one thing you really have a hard time working on at this level.

I've always said it's confidence, but I think the two (processing/IQ, versus confidence) are related.

Reactions: bhamill

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
Assuming the roster stays the same, Lindgren / Schneider stay and collectively take up 6-7M cap, that leaves us with around $6M to sign a player this off season. Is that correct?
Yes, around 6-7M we should have depending on what those 2 sign for.

But that's including Rempe, Brod, Edstorm all in the lineup. If 2 of those three are sent down, that's another 1.5M.

Atax

Apr 7, 2011
Assuming the roster stays the same, Lindgren / Schneider stay and collectively take up 6-7M cap, that leaves us with around $6M to sign a player this off season. Is that correct?
Lets hope thats not what happens.

Reactions: GoAwayPanarin

gump116

Sponsor
Feb 24, 2009
New York
Personally I prefer Miller and Fox split on-ice duties but even if you put them together you then need a strong(er) partner for Schneider who will be just as expensive cap-wise.

That’s why IMO it’s not either or. Both got to go if Drury wants properly address deficiencies that were exposed during this playoff run.
Not sure of the modern equivalent, but prime Mcdonagh is exactly what this team needs as left D on first or second pair. Could go either way with Miller-Fox or Miller-Schneider but currently still a top 4 LHD short.

Last edited:

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
What about

Kakko for Colton
Sign Joshua

Panarin-Trochek-Lafreniere
Kreider-Zibanejad-Chytil
Berard-Colton-Joshua
Cuylle-_______-Edstrom

That bottom six would have an identity and be fun to watch

Reactions: Atax

IDvsEGO

Oct 11, 2016
What about

Kakko for Colton
Sign Joshua

Panarin-Trochek-Lafreniere
Kreider-Zibanejad-Chytil
Berard-Colton-Joshua
Cuylle-_______-Edstrom

That bottom six would have an identity and be fun to watch
As someone else pointed out, Colton makes more than Kakko and produces less and is older.
Does Colton maybe make sense? Sure. For Kakko? Absolutely not.

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia
Drury would be foolish to be worried about next years cap situation. Theyll extend Laf and Igor no problem. If next season doesnt end in a Cup theres no chance Panarin and Trouba will be on the 2025-26 squad. Theyll both be easily moveable, or buyoutable in Trouba's case. Plus Drury's job security would be in question. Future cap is either the next guy's problem, or we have a championship to celebrate.

Disagree we don’t want another Nemeth situation

Can still add with 1 yr options

Boris Zubov

No relation to Sergei, Joe
May 6, 2016
Back on the east coast
As someone else pointed out, Colton makes more than Kakko and produces less and is older.
Once you get past the fact that Kakko was a 2OA pick, the trade is more palatable. We need to come to terms that the rest of the league can also see what we see...the kid isn't very good. Colton is a good skater & more of what this team needs on the forecheck.

IDvsEGO

Oct 11, 2016
Once you get past the fact that Kakko was a 2OA pick, the trade is more palatable. We need to come to terms that the rest of the league can also see what we see...the kid isn't very good. Colton is a good skater & more of what this team needs on the forecheck.
If kakko isn't very good, and im fine not looking at the 2oa pick part of it, then whats colton?
Colton's career high of points at 27 is kakko's age 21 season.
I get not looking at his draft position. 100%.
Look at his production. The same argument we made with laf last year. His entire production is even strength, and when he doesn't have terrible linemates he does produce.
There are holes in his game. Im not blind to it. I'm also fine if he's moved for a better player or a player of equal value, but at his cap hit, and his potential production based on his previous seasons, there aren't many who are prob gonna produce 35-40 points at even strength with positive defense at 2.3 million cap hit.

I dont want to get older just to get faster without any extra production.

mrhockey193195

Nov 14, 2006
Denver, CO
Not sure of the modern equivalent, but prime Mcdonagh is exactly what this team needs as left D on first or second pair. Could go either way with Miller-Fox or Miller-Schneider but currently still a top 4 LHD short.
I know what you mean - I agree with your sentiment and I'm kind of being annoying for the sake of it - but prime McDonagh was arguably a top-10 defenseman in the NHL, I don't think there's any team in the NHL today where is isn't a perfect fit in as their 1LD or 2LD. :laugh:

noncents

Feb 25, 2022
lindgren othmann and 1st for Ehlers/Schmidt.

trade trouba and sign matt roy.

kakko for colton

French bread pizza
besties + ehlers
colton chytil berard
cuylle edstrom vesey/rempe/brodz

miller fox
schmidt roy
jones schneider

Reactions: Circus86

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island

He most certainly does not produce less than Kakko his 5v5 pts/60 by year are 2.27, 2.32, 1.92, 2.19. All four seasons above kakkos career high.

Reactions: Guyute

Feel Shame

May 8, 2024
I would do it for pinto.
I think he’s got a really bright future.
It would be like buying low on Thomas before he exploded in St. Louis…

Miller isn't a finished product either… he’s got 4-5 NHL seasons under his belt, but he switched to a defenseman late in the game.
D, especially Big D-Men usually don’t hit their prime until 26-27….
I just wish he would learn more from his mistakes and repeat them less.
He’s still is/going to be a quality defenseman.
I don’t dislike K’Andre at all. This is give to get situation.

noncents

Feb 25, 2022
If kakko isn't very good, and im fine not looking at the 2oa pick part of it, then whats colton?
Colton's career high of points at 27 is kakko's age 21 season.
I get not looking at his draft position. 100%.
Look at his production. The same argument we made with laf last year. His entire production is even strength, and when he doesn't have terrible linemates he does produce.
There are holes in his game. Im not blind to it. I'm also fine if he's moved for a better player or a player of equal value, but at his cap hit, and his potential production based on his previous seasons, there aren't many who are prob gonna produce 35-40 points at even strength with positive defense at 2.3 million cap hit.

I dont want to get older just to get faster without any extra production.
the major advantage imo is colton can play 3C if chytil goes down.

Reactions: Atax

80shockeywasbuns

Feb 12, 2022
Panarin, Zibanejad, Trocheck, and Kreider can fill the net.
1718920505122.gif

Atax

Apr 7, 2011
Kakko for Colton would be a win.

I think it’d take more.
Yeah I'm not sure what value Kakko has. Whats his upside at this point? A 3rd line grinder who puts up 30-40 pts? Maybe he eventually learns to PK. (Wish he got a chance last year). Do we want to extend that? Or would we rather see what our other prospects can do?
What value does that get you?
We need depth at center. Our only guy is Edstrom. And an oft injured Chytil.
I think if you can get a solid 3c you do it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad