Roster Building Thread - Part XI (Off-season edition)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

bhamill

Sponsor
Apr 16, 2012

"Ross Colton, signed 4x$4M by COL, is a physical shoot-first offensive forward whose prolific chance creation (especially near the net)"

That sounds to me like exactly what we could use in the playoffs

He scored 40 points for COL this year, AFTER that evaluation. 17 goals, 14 of them at EV. If he's very prolific, it's not on chances that actually go in...
He scored 1G 3A in 11 games for COL this post season.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad

8. Ross Colton
Center, Colorado Avalanche
Stats: 80 GP, 17 G, 23 A, 40 Pts
Contract: 3 years remaining, $4 million AAV
Scoop: It was less than one calendar year ago, June 28, that the Avs acquired Colton as a cap casualty from the Tampa Bay Lightning. Now, one year later, Colton could be the same for the Avalanche. Colton is coming off a career-best 40-point season, too. It’s just that Colorado has so many hurdles to clear on the cap this summer that Colton may be the odd man out. They have to clear space for Gabriel Landeskog to be activated at some point next season. They aren’t sure about the status of Valeri Nichushkin, who is in Stage 3 of the Player Assistance program after a drug-related issue during the playoffs for the second year in a row. And they’ve also prioritized the re-signing of Jonathan Drouin. The arrival of Casey Mittelstadt at center, who also needs a new deal, makes it easier to move Colton, who should have plenty of trade equity – but the Avs will have to act fast because Colton’s full ‘no-trade’ clause kicks in on July 1. He has no trade protection until then.

I stand corrected.

I'm game with this.

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
Ive always liked Colton's game even though he was a Devils fan growing up. If the Rangers can turn Lindgren or Kakko into Colton theyd be a better team for it. The type of player that I could see them adding with a guy like Toffoli or Jake MehBrusk.

Kreider-Mika-Laf
Panarin-Trocheck-Toffoli
Cuylle-Chytil-Colton
Ed-Brodz-Vesey
Rempe

Lines may vary but that's a much deeper top 9 with some playoff vets who can actually score goals. Would still need a major upgrade at top 4 D but I dont hate that.

Atax

Apr 7, 2011
We need a good center in case/when Chytil goes down. It really does suck, but we cant expect a full season out of him. Colton seems to fit it, so id be fine with the move. I'd probably consider putting Chytil in the package too.

Reactions: majordomo

Machinehead

HFNYR MVP
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
If it were me, and I have to be somewhat realistic (meaning Kakko is on the team and I can't scratch him), I would do something like this right now.

Kreider-Trocheck-Lafreniere
Panarin-Chytil-Berard
Cuylle-Zibanejad-Kakko

I'm not that excited about Cuylle in that spot and the line needs a distributor, but I'm working with what's in the organization.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
Fair. they did throw Wennberg up there in desperation late in the series. Ill probably be planting my flag on this hill all summer, but Im a believer in that pair looking much better 5v5 with a RW who can handle and pass the puck. Kreider and Mika are at their best when they touch the puck as little as possible. Theyve had the most success with Zucc and Buch who can gain the zone with possession and make plays. They need to either put Lafreniere with them or add a comparable player who is capable of top 6 minutes. Not Jack Roslovic or Frank Vatrano. Otherwise, they need to break up and confine the 2 man game to the PK.

IMO part of the problem with ZIbanejad and Kreider is that they don't play well with their other winger. They don't include that player well in their rushes, their cycles, they'll pass up wide open passing chances in order to force the puck to one another, etc.

They're too far up their own asses with their "chemistry"

The reason Roslovic worked at times I think is that when he got the puck he'd just go with it and try to start things himself rather than using his linemates to start that so it was later in the rush or whatever that Kreider or Zibanejad would actually touch the puck

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Yea his 2 goals in the last 17 playoff games is exactly what we need.

Jonathan Toews went 50 games in the playoffs scoring like 4 goals. I think JT Miller had 1 through his first 40 something games or something stupid like that.

If he's creating chances, I want him. They'll start to go in eventually.

If he isn't, then I don't.

Atax

Apr 7, 2011
Yea his 2 goals in the last 17 playoff games is exactly what we need.
We basically have 2 centers who can be relied upon. We'll be lucky if Chytil plays 40 games. Edstrom will get his shot, but he's still a rookie. They really cant afford another 9 mil center. Not sure whats wrong with getting a guy like Colton.

PuckLuck3043

Stairway To Heaven
Nov 15, 2017
Hudson Valley
Ok so I said a thing that was incorrect.

The point stands that it's hard to split up Mika and Kreider while still having both of them in the "top six," and having something that works.

If it were me, I probably just put one of them on the "third" line because I don't give a f*** about hierarchy but I don't see the Rangers doing that.

That's where that culture comes in. The third line is where the grinders go. We can't have a skill guy there, he won't do hashtag third line stuff.
Lets see what happens this off season and next year as far as personnel moves. I honestly could see them split up next year. I think there are changes coming. Berard and Othmann will both be pushing for a roster spot along with Rempe and Edstrom. I see next years team as better than this year by a pretty wide margin as far as forwards are concerned. No Goodrow, Wheeler, Bonino, Pitlick, and hopefully a healthy Chytil, and Kakko couldn't have a worse year. The big question is how is the defense upgraded.

Reactions: Atax

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
We basically have 2 centers who can be relied upon. We'll be lucky if Chytil plays 40 games. Edstrom will get his shot, but he's still a rookie. They really cant afford another 9 mil center. Not sure whats wrong with getting a guy like Colton.
I have no problem looking into getting Colton, but not for Kakko. I edited my original post, he only has 2 goals in the last 31 playoff games, not 17.

Machinehead

HFNYR MVP
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Speaking of Edstrom, if he's gonna be on the 4th line, send him down. I think he can be more than that.

Rempe, I don't really care.

Atax

Apr 7, 2011
Lets see what happens this off season and next year as far as personnel moves. I honestly could see them split up next year. I think there are changes coming. Berard and Othmann will both be pushing for a roster spot along with Rempe and Edstrom. I see next years team as better than this year by a pretty wide margin as far as forwards are concerned. No Goodrow, Wheeler, Bonino, Pitlick, and hopefully a healthy Chytil, and Kakko couldn't have a worse year. The big question is how is the defense upgraded.
Agreed on all counts, except on Chytil. He's one of my favorite players on the team, but I just cant ever see him giving us a full season.

Reactions: bleedblue94

bhamill

Sponsor
Apr 16, 2012
Just getting him? Nothing wrong with that. Giving up Kakko or Chytil or overpaying in some other manner? LOTS wrong with that.

Atax

Apr 7, 2011
Just getting him? Nothing wrong with that. Giving up Kakko or Chytil or overpaying in some other manner? LOTS wrong with that.
I dont want to trade him, but you cant rely on Chytil having a healthy career. I wouldnt trade him for peanuts, but If you cant rely on him to stay healthy, it might be time to move him (if he has any value).

I dont see Kakko being worth more than a roster player like Colton.

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
Why? He's a center, he's fast, and he's an absolute menace on the forecheck which are all things we desperately need. He also only costs $4 million AAV. The downsides are Colton takes dumb penalties and could improve on face-offs.

Edit: He's from Northern Jersey, so I'm sure he would be stoked to play here. Also a decent puck possession numbers.
I actually like Colton a lot. He’s also a guy that ups his game in the postseason.

He’s a bigger more physical version of brodzinski….
Cuylle/Kakko played some of their best hockey with brod because he loved to shoot the puck…
It creates rebounds/2nd and 3rd chance scoring opportunities.

Hes not perfect. As you said, he could improve at the dot, peca would help in that department and he is prone to taking dumb penalties here and there…
Guy plays with a lot of emotion, I think he fits better on our 3rd line then Wennberg…..
Any solid 3C is likely to cost anywhere between 3.5-4.5 million per season….. it’s just the times we live in

PuckLuck3043

Stairway To Heaven
Nov 15, 2017
Hudson Valley
Agreed on all counts, except on Chytil. He's one of my favorite players on the team, but I just cant ever see him giving us a full season.
We just don't know. He did come back this year and I'm not going to judge a player being thrown into an intense playoff series after not playing for 6 months. It takes time to get back into game shape both mentally and physically. He may never play a full season but I could live with him playing 60 games and not having it concussion related.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
I actually originally thought Cuylle and Kakko might have had something after the first handful of games they played on a line together. I think it was a Cuylle-Brodzinski-Kakko line? Can't quite recall. Then another 30 something games of squat happened.
first they kept trying to force KK w/wonder twins
then Chytil got injured and after that KK

who am i?

"NO you must LISTEN TO [redacted] KK + Cuyl hav chem must NOT be touched"
not sure....
sounds familiar....
but if this guy is ahead of the curve
and calls it in real time
MAYBE we should LISTEN?

Speaking of Edstrom, if he's gonna be on the 4th line, send him down. I think he can be more than that.

Agree Eds has higher potential than 4th
Rempe also, but currently less

both need to make roster, get started, stay healthy

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad

I think he can get his minutes.

4th line and PK. The wheels and length give him an excellent base to be impactful there.

I don't know if he has the offense to play any higher though he seems like he has the basics in getting and receiving the puck to push it upwards and thats most of the battle.

bhamill

Sponsor
Apr 16, 2012
I dont want to trade him, but you cant rely on Chytil having a healthy career. I wouldnt trade him for peanuts, but If you cant rely on him to stay healthy, it might be time to move him (if he has any value).

I dont see Kakko being worth more than a roster player like Colton.
Chytil scored 50 points last year, he's already a better player than Colton and he's not done yet. Will he stay healthy? Good question. I'd like to find out.
Kakko is a roster player as well. Matched Colton's best (27yo season) point total in his 21yo season. Kakko is better on D, and better on possession. Colton is a more effective forechecker. I'm not giving up a 22/23yo for a 27/28yo whose best season he has already matched.
As far as playoffs, Kakko from age 18-22yo seasons has scored 0.37PPG as compared to Colton scoring 0.36PPG from his 24-27yo seasons.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad