Roster Building Thread - Part XI (Off-season edition)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Guyute

Sponsor
Feb 17, 2013
i believe he was referring to aforementioned propensity for bad penalties.
So what. Pouliot took bad penalties all of the time but was a member of arguably the best 3rd line we've had in decades. That 3rd line was a key contributor to the 2014 cup finals run.

PuckLuck3043

Stairway To Heaven
Nov 15, 2017
Hudson Valley
I think people forget that out of Hank's three deepest runs, 2/3 were legitimately good teams. The 2015 team played all of their series basically even. In 2014, Hank could have slept through the Flyers series and the Habs series (and he f***ing did sleep through the Flyers series LMAO).

Igor has now been to the ECF on two teams that got outplayed almost the entire playoffs. The Carolina series was ok at best both times. The ECF opponent skated circles around us both times. Pittsburgh DESTROYED us in 2022 (that was the biggest goalie steal of either guy's career). And tbh we sucked against Washington.

I didn't wanna die on the hill at the time but now I don't care: if Washington had a f***ing ounce of talent, that series goes 7.
I don't want to hear it. That team beat out Pitt and Detroit to actually get in, and they got swept. The Rangers would have beat Detroit's ass also and the Pitt series maybe goes to 6 games. They also didn't get outplayed this year until Florida. 5 on 5 against Carolina was basically even.

bhamill

Sponsor
Apr 16, 2012
Why? He's a center, he's fast, and he's an absolute menace on the forecheck which are all things we desperately need. He also only costs $4 million AAV. The downsides are Colton takes dumb penalties and could improve on face-offs.

Edit: He's from Northern Jersey, so I'm sure he would be stoked to play here. Also a decent puck possession numbers.
I like Colton but not for Kakko. He scored his highest totals in his 27 yo season, THIS season, matching Kakko's totals from his 21 year old season, of 40 points. He was a -8 on COL, so I don't look at him being on Kakko's defensive level, and his possession is behind the 4 year younger player as well. Colton hadn't even made the NHL at Kakko's current age. I DO like his forecheck, but it doesn't even out the deal for me.
For me this is a bad trade. Kakko is going to get better, its pretty rare for a player to peak at 21 and then decline...

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
So what. Pouliot took bad penalties all of the time but was a member of arguably the best 3rd line we've had in decades. That 3rd line was a key contributor to the 2014 cup finals run.

I still call offensive zone penalties "Pouliot's" because of Carpiniello. Loved Benoit though, possibly the best 1 year deal the Rangers have ever signed.

Machinehead

HFNYR MVP
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
I also feel like if they bring in Colton, they're just gonna stick him on the third line to do nothing as opposed to putting him on a scoring line like they did with Pouliot.

This team has a weird culture right now where instead of building cohesive lines that can check and score, the top six are all the friends together playing grab ass and the bottom six are all running into things and never doing offense.

MrAlmost

Beer league hero.
Jun 3, 2010
I don't hate the idea of Colton, the contract is a bit high for my liking but a) if they need to clear the space then NYR prob wouldn't be sending money back in the deal and b) they're if they're trying to clear the space they're some what desperate so try to get the deal done for a little as possible. I do wonder if he can play w. I'm not a fan of Chytil at rw but would like it if he was there to take face-offs and then slide to wing or be an in case of emergency will be the 3c.
Actually, kakko for Colton is the exact kind of trade both teams can benefit from. Kakko is good friends with Rantanen and the Rangers need a real reliable center that plays a certain kind of way. He is a diet Trocheck. I didn't think he was available, but that would be a good trade, and would save the Avs money and give them a guy in a position they have nothing for at RW.

Also, a package of Chytil and Lindgren can get a much better RW or LD. How excite. Much suspense. Haha

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
I also feel like if they bring in Colton, they're just gonna stick him on the third line to do nothing as opposed to putting him on a scoring line like they did with Pouliot.

This team has a weird culture right now where instead of building cohesive lines that can check and score, the top six are all the friends together playing grab ass and the bottom six are all running into things and never doing offense.

I get the sense Drury is over the grabassery. He already took Panarin's boytoy away in Strome. I dont think hes considering trading Kreider or Mika but something has to give in the top 6. They need to get split up or add a bonafide top 6 guy. It's come to Jesus time for both.

PuckLuck3043

Stairway To Heaven
Nov 15, 2017
Hudson Valley

So you think Panarin-Trocheck-Laf were playing grab ass this year. That's funny. To me they were one of the best lines in the league.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017

Only Kreider and Mika are playing grab ass.

The first line, Trochek line, were an all star line.

MrAlmost

Beer league hero.
Jun 3, 2010

I don't think the Tro line is like that. That line works cause it does a little of all. I think you are just thinking of Kreider and Z, and while yes that is technically 50% of the top 6, Colton would do us well as a middle 6 sugar-free Trocheck. Haha

Guyute

Sponsor
Feb 17, 2013

"Ross Colton, signed 4x$4M by COL, is a physical shoot-first offensive forward whose prolific chance creation (especially near the net)"

That sounds to me like exactly what we could use in the playoffs

Reactions: MrAlmost

majordomo

Oct 29, 2023
NYC
Why? He's a center, he's fast, and he's an absolute menace on the forecheck which are all things we desperately need. He also only costs $4 million AAV. The downsides are Colton takes dumb penalties and could improve on face-offs.

Edit: He's from Northern Jersey, so I'm sure he would be stoked to play here. Also a decent puck possession numbers.
I'm really happy that birth location isn't a criteria for obtaining a player.

Machinehead

HFNYR MVP
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
I get the sense Drury is over the grabassery. He already took Panarin's boytoy away in Strome. I dont think hes considering trading Kreider or Mika but something has to give in the top 6. They need to get split up or add a bonafide top 6 guy. It's come to Jesus time for both.
I kinda feel like I'll believe it when I see it.

Laviolette threw the kitchen sink at the Florida series in terms of tweaking the lineup, and the one thing he wouldn't touch was Mika and Kreider together at 5v5.

noncents

Feb 25, 2022
buddy i was answering your question "what do you mean," not saying i agreed with him. take a breath

surlysailor

May 12, 2012
BK

Laviolette threw the kitchen sink at the Florida series in terms of tweaking the lineup, and the one thing he wouldn't touch was Mika and Kreider together at 5v5.
Wait moving noted goal scorer Alex Wennberg to the pair that just can't score 5v5 didn't work? I just don't get how that was never an option.

Machinehead

HFNYR MVP
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Yes, it works very well, but that is not what you said.
Ok so I said a thing that was incorrect.

The point stands that it's hard to split up Mika and Kreider while still having both of them in the "top six," and having something that works.

If it were me, I probably just put one of them on the "third" line because I don't give a f*** about hierarchy but I don't see the Rangers doing that.

That's where that culture comes in. The third line is where the grinders go. We can't have a skill guy there, he won't do hashtag third line stuff.

bbny

Unregistered User
Apr 12, 2019
fair 'nuf agree to disag.
we concur there is suf chem Chyi + KK
? is if we see that w/KK + Cuyle also

Am willing to see what works

I actually originally thought Cuylle and Kakko might have had something after the first handful of games they played on a line together. I think it was a Cuylle-Brodzinski-Kakko line? Can't quite recall. Then another 30 something games of squat happened.

Guyute

Sponsor
Feb 17, 2013
Sounds like the kind of guy they'd like to hang onto.

8. Ross Colton
Center, Colorado Avalanche
Stats: 80 GP, 17 G, 23 A, 40 Pts
Contract: 3 years remaining, $4 million AAV
Scoop: It was less than one calendar year ago, June 28, that the Avs acquired Colton as a cap casualty from the Tampa Bay Lightning. Now, one year later, Colton could be the same for the Avalanche. Colton is coming off a career-best 40-point season, too. It’s just that Colorado has so many hurdles to clear on the cap this summer that Colton may be the odd man out. They have to clear space for Gabriel Landeskog to be activated at some point next season. They aren’t sure about the status of Valeri Nichushkin, who is in Stage 3 of the Player Assistance program after a drug-related issue during the playoffs for the second year in a row. And they’ve also prioritized the re-signing of Jonathan Drouin. The arrival of Casey Mittelstadt at center, who also needs a new deal, makes it easier to move Colton, who should have plenty of trade equity – but the Avs will have to act fast because Colton’s full ‘no-trade’ clause kicks in on July 1. He has no trade protection until then.

Reactions: GoAwayPanarin

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017

Fair. they did throw Wennberg up there in desperation late in the series. Ill probably be planting my flag on this hill all summer, but Im a believer in that pair looking much better 5v5 with a RW who can handle and pass the puck. Kreider and Mika are at their best when they touch the puck as little as possible. Theyve had the most success with Zucc and Buch who can gain the zone with possession and make plays. They need to either put Lafreniere with them or add a comparable player who is capable of top 6 minutes. Not Jack Roslovic or Frank Vatrano. Otherwise, they need to break up and confine the 2 man game to the PK.

Reactions: noncents

noncents

Feb 25, 2022
I actually originally thought Cuylle and Kakko might have had something after the first handful of games they played on a line together. I think it was a Cuylle-Brodzinski-Kakko line? Can't quite recall. Then another 30 something games of squat happened.
who am i?

"NO you must LISTEN TO [redacted] KK + Cuyl hav chem must NOT be touched"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad