Roster Building Thread - Part XI (Off-season edition)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
What about

Kakko for Colton

Sign Joshua

Panarin-Trochek-Lafreniere
Kreider-Zibanejad-Chytil
Berard-Colton-Joshua
Cuylle-_______-Edstrom

That bottom six would have an identity and be fun to watch
no

As someone else pointed out, Colton makes more than Kakko and produces less and is older.
Does Colton maybe make sense? Sure. For Kakko? Absolutely not.
verbatim otherwise
sure replace w/possibly

zlev

Dec 21, 2015
lindgren othmann and 1st for Ehlers/Schmidt.

trade trouba and sign matt roy.

kakko for colton

French bread pizza
besties + ehlers
colton chytil berard
cuylle edstrom vesey/rempe/brodz

miller fox
schmidt roy
jones schneider

this team would f*** shit up
i dunno if that would be enough for Ehlers and Schmidt though

Reactions: noncents

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Once you get past the fact that Kakko was a 2OA pick, the trade is more palatable. We need to come to terms that the rest of the league can also see what we see...the kid isn't very good. Colton is a good skater & more of what this team needs on the forecheck.
disagree

Yeah I'm not sure what value Kakko has. Whats his upside at this point? A 3rd line grinder who puts up 30-40 pts? Maybe he eventually learns to PK. (Wish he got a chance last year). Do we want to extend that? Or would we rather see what our other prospects can do?
What value does that get you?
We need depth at center. Our only guy is Edstrom. And an oft injured Chytil.
I think if you can get a solid 3c you do it.
this is another short term, win now move fueled by desperation and 99% of the time = fail
so no

Machinehead

HFNYR MVP
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Hagelin must have been 5 times (I'm not trying to exaggerate) faster than Kakko.

Hagelin had serious wheels.

Skating is so important in today's NHL.
They have different ways of getting to the puck, but they can both get to the puck. The difference is what happens after that.

Kakko isn't bad at offense because he's slow, he's bad at offense because he's dumb.

Machinehead

HFNYR MVP
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
I think it is a little dangerous to expect those 4 to do what they did last year again this season. Trocheck just had a career year, panarin and kreider are approaching the ages of decline, and zib just has not looked the same the last couple years. I would be cautious with this...
It's going to be an issue at some point. It's not an issue now.

80shockeywasbuns

Feb 12, 2022
I know regurgitating shit that you know isn't true to push a narrative is your new thing, but it's worth reiterating for all of the readers that Zibanejad is scoring at a PPG+ pace over the last six seasons.
I saw that he scored fewer 5v5 goals than Kakko and had to come shit on him more

Machinehead

HFNYR MVP
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
I saw that he scored fewer 5v5 goals than Kakko and had to come shit on him more
Yeah I saw that cherry-picked nonsense which ignored Trocheck's 39 assists at even strength. That was clever.

There's so much to criticize about Zibanejad, so I can't fathom why you'd waste time trying to convince people he can't score, which is the one thing he can do.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Yeah I'm not sure what value Kakko has. Whats his upside at this point? A 3rd line grinder who puts up 30-40 pts? Maybe he eventually learns to PK. (Wish he got a chance last year). Do we want to extend that? Or would we rather see what our other prospects can do?
What value does that get you?
We need depth at center. Our only guy is Edstrom. And an oft injured Chytil.
I think if you can get a solid 3c you do it.

I think he’s got late 1st value at most.

One of the drawbacks is I’m not sure they’d want a body back. If a 2nd is the price we don’t have one of those but do have the means to acquire one (kakko nimself, Lindgren, etc.)

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
I know regurgitating shit that you know isn't true to push a narrative is your new thing, but it's worth reiterating for all of the readers that Zibanejad is scoring at a PPG+ pace over the last six seasons.
Well yeah, Zibanejad used to be really good.
That’s what hurts the most

Machinehead

HFNYR MVP
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Well yeah, Zibanejad used to be really good.
That’s what hurts the most
He had 72 in 81 this past season and was literally PPG in the playoffs. He had as many points as games played in the 2024 playoffs, the one that just happened.

Even at his absolute worst, he can score. Trying to deny that or that he's good on the powerplay is so f***ing weird.

Bacon Artemi Bravo

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 20, 2007
Reinhart is such a bad fit here and is going to get so much money for shooting 90000% in a contract year.

He’s a good player but he’s going to get paid as if he were close to elite.
Also, what he brings is not close to the biggest immediate need. As others have stated here, you can have whoever you want on offense, if the D-core aint right its not going to matter.

80shockeywasbuns

Feb 12, 2022
Yeah I saw that cherry-picked nonsense which ignored Trocheck's 39 assists at even strength. That was clever.

There's so much to criticize about Zibanejad, so I can't fathom why you'd waste time trying to convince people he can't score, which is the one thing he can do.
Lol what? I wasn’t trying to insinuate anything, its just wild sometimes to look at 5v5 numbers. My point was more, “holy shit Kakko somehow did something better than trocheck”

bhamill

Sponsor
Apr 16, 2012
Once you get past the fact that Kakko was a 2OA pick, the trade is more palatable. We need to come to terms that the rest of the league can also see what we see...the kid isn't very good. Colton is a good skater & more of what this team needs on the forecheck.
Where Kakko was drafted has zero to do with the fact that KK matched Colton’s best season points wise, that Colton had at 27, when Kakko was 21. Or that Kakko has scored slightly more PPG in the playoffs at 18-22yo than Colton has at 24-27yo, or that Kakko is better at D and on possession, or that Kakko has a 1.6mil lower cap hit… Yes, Colton is currently a better forechecker, that doesn’t even it out, never mind make Colton a better hockey player.

bhamill

Sponsor
Apr 16, 2012
He most certainly does not produce less than Kakko his 5v5 pts/60 by year are 2.27, 2.32, 1.92, 2.19. All four seasons above kakkos career high.
Colton also came into the league at 24, what was Kakko’s high? His 21yo season? Let’s see where Kakko is in two years.
Colton is a shiny new toy. Trading Kakko or Chytil for him would be a big mistake. Kakko matched Colton’s career, 27yo, point production when he was 21. He had a disaster year this year, but he improved every other year over the previous. To think he won’t better 40 points, his total at 21, Colton’s at 27, is an extreme outlier position.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Where Kakko was drafted has zero to do with the fact that KK matched Colton’s best season points wise, that Colton had at 27, when Kakko was 21. Or that Kakko has scored slightly more PPG in the playoffs at 18-22yo than Colton has at 24-27yo, or that Kakko is better at D and on possession, or that Kakko has a 1.6mil lower cap hit… Yes, Colton is currently a better forechecker, that doesn’t even it out, never mind make Colton a better hockey player.

I think playing styles are a thing though.

A guy who can bang and create chances is something we should be looking to add. I think we have better players to compliment him with even in a 3rd line role.

Boris Zubov

No relation to Sergei, Joe
May 6, 2016
Back on the east coast
You're so hung up on points, you're missing the bigger picture with this one. Kakko provides zero forecheck & plays solely along the boards, mostly with little intensity. Colton is above average skater, plays in your face on every shift & attacks the middle of the ice. Also he's very antagonistic, which we need way more of.

Reactions: Barnaby

bhamill

Sponsor
Apr 16, 2012
I think playing styles are a thing though.

A guy who can bang and create chances is something we should be looking to add. I think we have better players to compliment him with even in a 3rd line role.
I’m not against obtaining Colton, I’m against trading a younger, better (potentially much better) player for him. If we send Kakko or Chytil for Colton plus (depending on the plus) I’m fine with it. I like players like Colton.

Reactions: nsvoyageurs

Machinehead

HFNYR MVP
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
You're so hung up on points, you're missing the bigger picture with this one. Kakko provides zero forecheck & plays solely along the boards, mostly with little intensity. Colton is above average skater, plays in your face on every shift & attacks the middle of the ice. Also he's very antagonistic, which we need way more of.
Yeah this is a thing as well.

Totals aside, Kakko has the skeleton of being a good role player, but too many of those elements are missing.

He's decent along the boards and can defend, but he has very little speed, doesn't hit, isn't really a net front presence, and isn't great down low. Most of his work is on the side boards.

You don't need to be great at everything but he needs more of it to take on a role like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad